York Stadium Argos OFFICIALLY pull out

brodycheese

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned in another thread, is the possibility of a scaled down project with no suites and only benches for seating. That is precisely my concern since that kind of facility may end up being suitable for the U20 WC, but it may not be enough to entice MLSE to invest in the MLS.

Part of the incentive for the stadium was to bring the subway to York. Interesting, if a bit worrisome, that they are considering suing the Argos - I would have thought that York would need to show damages in order to do that, and I doubt they would be able to do that if the stadium goes ahead. So does that mean they know it won't?

Lets hope they are just considering it in the event of the stadium not going ahead.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I was dumbfounded by that very irony offered up by Rodgers. Where are the bussiness ethics of this? Is it not generally frowned upon to do somthing of this nature as it is a conflict of interest?

I guess even Rodgers considers Canadian soccer second fiddle to american Baseball...

Personally I would'nt really mind if someone like Fox Sports World took over broadcasting National teams games now. Mabey we would get better coverage.

I wonder what Craig Forrest and Gerry Dobson think of this...

[/quote

Rogers ethics in sports is nil. I just hope and pray that the Blue Jays will pull a Montreal Expos fast act out of town, and if the Jays

continue to lose the millions every year that's more than possible.

Fox sports world would be great for coverage of Canadian soccer, the

only problem is not all satillite companies cover this channel,so us

viewers are out of luck. And there's NO chance of going back to Rogers

cable.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Part of the incentive for the stadium was to bring the subway to York.

I'll bet that that was one of the carots that York dangled in front of the Argos. But the Argos probably began to wonder how long that they could afford to wait for the Subway extention.

Shot against the Argo's in today's Sun by Bill Lankof:

FEELING JILTED

A couple months ago Argonauts owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski said the best place for their team to play would be in a new stadium.

Fans were encouraged to buy season tickets on the premise that in a few years they would be moving to an intimate stadium at York University with great sightlines.

Instead, this week the owners signed a 15-year agreement to play at the neon temple also known as the Rogers Centre. Well, a rose by any other name is still a rose -- and boy, are football fans going to be surprised when they show up at Dave and Howard's new stadium and find out it's, uhhmm, still the SkyDome.

The fallout of this end-around is that football fans don't get a football-friendly facility, local soccer still doesn't have a home to call its own and York University gets left holding a bag of hot air.

With all those academics over there you would think one would've noticed that the anagram of Cynamon is "many con" -- which is how a lot of people feel today. Fooled. Misled. Conned.

But, hey, I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Lankhof/2005/05/04/1025175.html

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Shot against the Argo's in today's Sun by Bill Lankof:

FEELING JILTED

A couple months ago Argonauts owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski said the best place for their team to play would be in a new stadium.

Fans were encouraged to buy season tickets on the premise that in a few years they would be moving to an intimate stadium at York University with great sightlines.

Instead, this week the owners signed a 15-year agreement to play at the neon temple also known as the Rogers Centre. Well, a rose by any other name is still a rose -- and boy, are football fans going to be surprised when they show up at Dave and Howard's new stadium and find out it's, uhhmm, still the SkyDome.

The fallout of this end-around is that football fans don't get a football-friendly facility, local soccer still doesn't have a home to call its own and York University gets left holding a bag of hot air.

With all those academics over there you would think one would've noticed that the anagram of Cynamon is "many con" -- which is how a lot of people feel today. Fooled. Misled. Conned.

But, hey, I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Lankhof/2005/05/04/1025175.html

Bill, Bill, Bill. Poor Bill. Talk about a crybaby. Holy S***. First off, people buy season tickets for the upcoming season, not x number of years down the road.

Obviously, you don't like the neon temple. Again Bill, who gives a S*** what you like.

And now it's the owners of the Argos fault that local soccer still doesn't have a home. Oh my GOD, give your head a shake, man. Like a CFL team owe local soccer anything. How about local soccer growing up and becoming responsible for themselves. When the CSA went after the World Youth Championships, they should not have done so on the basis of having to be dependent on outside parties. If you want something done right, you do it yourself. This fiasco is a result of Kevan Pipe's modus operandi. He has always worked this way. Trying to get something for nothing, and now he's in over his head. It's too bad it took so long for others to catch on and that soccer in this country needs to sport an international black eye, before we all wake up and smell the roses that Billy Boy refers to. Are the feds going to bail us out? Bloody unlikely. Are the academics Billy trashes going to bail soccer out? Hah, how stupid do you think those academics are?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Bill, Bill, Bill. Poor Bill. Talk about a crybaby. Holy S***. First off, people buy season tickets for the upcoming season, not x number of years down the road.

Except that some people bought season tickets on the promise of a new intimate stadium & the Argos moving away from the Skydome, something that the Argos themselves were happy to promote. Lankhof has every right to criticize them, why not, its what everybody bar Dave "I hate soccer and everyone who supports it" Perkins is doing around here. There are several articles which point out how bad this makes the Argos look, not sure why you are picking on this one. As for the CSA they have done everything within and beyond their own financial resources to make a stadium happen, anyone expecting them to simply whip out a cheque for $70 million to build a stadium has their heads further up their ass than Dave Perkins does, which I didn't think was humanly possible, but there you are.

Now go away.

Except that some people bought season tickets on the promise of a new intimate stadium & the Argos moving away from the Skydome, something that the Argos themselves were happy to promote. Lankhof has every right to criticize them, why not, its what everybody bar Dave "I hate soccer and everyone who supports it" Perkins is doing around here. There are several articles which point out how bad this makes the Argos look, not sure why you are picking on this one. As for the CSA they have done everything within and beyond their own financial resources to make a stadium happen, anyone expecting them to simply whip out a cheque for $70 million to build a stadium has their heads further up their ass than Dave Perkins does, which I didn't think was humanly possible, but there you are.

Now go away.

Poverino,

Just think if Kevan Pipe would have allocated $2,000,000.00 a year during his twenty year tenure, with simple interest alone he could have built the stadium and it wouldn't have been the Big Bad Argos fault. Nice announcement to the rest of the world today, though. We are going to host the world in just two years from now, somewhere in Montreal and somewhere in Vancouver. Rest assured. I have it from a reliable inside source that the CSA has a Plan B, which allows for ample bleacher seating.

Now don't get emotional on me.

quote:Just think if Kevan Pipe would have allocated $2,000,000.00 a year during his twenty year tenure, with simple interest alone he could have built the stadium and it wouldn't have been the Big Bad Argos fault. I have it from a reliable inside source that the CSA has a Plan B, which allows for ample bleacher seating.

Now don't get emotional on me.

So Pipe should have saved 1/5 of the entire CSA yearly budget for a stadium. Good idea, Robert! By the way, who's your inside source - Beast or the voices inside your melon.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

So Pipe should have saved 1/5 of the entire CSA yearly budget for a stadium. Good idea, Robert! By the way, who's your inside source - Beast or the voices inside your melon.

Joe

There's no need to debase yourself with the insult about voices inside his head. Please stick to the debating topic.

quote:Joe

There's no need to debase yourself with the insult about voices inside his head. Please stick to the debating topic.

Thanks for the laugh, I've long since debased myself trying to get a rational response out of the village idiots. Dude, I suggest you check out the Ronco Universal Beast post and the K-Tel Robert Super anti-CSA Kill Kevin Pipe post.

These guys will never discuss anything only their single-minded agenda. If that makes me an ahole for going after them well... God bless me. It's like pounding your head against the wall but I happen to like pounding my head against the wall.

Like Daniel said "Where is the intelligent discussion?"

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Joe

Why should he, when there is no serious topic to debate? Obviously the suggestion that Pipe should have foreseen 20 years ago that there would need to be a stadium in Toronto in 2005 when at the time there were two servicable large soccer stadiums in Toronto and start putting aside 1/5th of the CSA budget for a stadium in the next century, crippling the soccer program more than it already is for a quarter of a century later, was not a serious suggestion, as such there is no need for the Tail Gunner to respond seriously.

Personally, I do not think there is a need for a serious response to any of the "so-called supporters" on this site who post nothing but negativity.

Why don't we call them a collective name? I suggest all posters of this type be called "G-Men."

Why should he, when there is no serious topic to debate? Obviously the suggestion that Pipe should have foreseen 20 years ago that there would need to be a stadium in Toronto in 2005 when at the time there were two servicable large soccer stadiums in Toronto and start putting aside 1/5th of the CSA budget for a stadium in the next century, crippling the soccer program more than it already is for a quarter of a century later, was not a serious suggestion, as such there is no need for the Tail Gunner to respond seriously.

Two? If you mean the CNE, then the Dome can count now.

I guess Varsity was more than adequate, but part of the CSA's plans should be looking towards the future. And the one half of Varsity was torn down about 10 years ago was it not? So it's not like all of this just came out of nowhere.

I have never posted anti-CSA stuff, but if heads don't roll at the CSA over this, we will never be more than a third world soccer nation.

This is not the fault of the Argos, Rogers, York, UofT, McDonalds, Bush, Iran, Jupiter or anybody else. This is 100% the fault of the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Two? If you mean the CNE, then the Dome can count now.

Why? Has the Dome been home to a major professional soccer team like the Ex was? Has Canada ever played World Cup qualifiers at the Dome like they did at the Ex?

And how is it 100% the CSA's fault that there are nimby's down at U of T and that the Argos are backstabbing twonks?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

All of Varsity was standing up until 2002 (??), but most of it was condemned (which explains the T&T 9k sellout).

You're right. It was 2002. But it had to be at least 3-4 years before that when the one side was not available.

Why? Has the Dome been home to a major professional soccer team like the Ex was? Has Canada ever played World Cup qualifiers at the Dome like they did at the Ex?

Canada has played at the Dome. I'm just saying that the Ex would not have been much better than the Dome right now. It would be too big for even MLS, and for most national team games, and the upkeep would be too expensive for 3-4 games a year.

And how is it 100% the CSA's fault that there are nimby's down at U of T and that the Argos are backstabbing twonks?

Because the CSA is the one that NEEDS a new stadium. There's no reason for York to build this (especially with no track which I don't understand why people think it won't have one), and even the Argos don't need a new stadium, the Dome is fine as long as they are getting 30 000.

It was obvious the Argos were playing games from months ago http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5921

And a 25 000 seater at UofT was never anywhere near a done deal. (I thought I had posted something but I guess I didn't.)

Plus, the CSA announced a new stadium initially at the CNE.

So that's 3 stadiums in like a year and a half. Since the gov't money is mainly for the WYC, the CSA should have looked at alternatives like Centennial, Lamport, something simple like even at the OSA's Soccer Centre, and just build a barebone stadium for $30-40 million or whatever they could get from the gov'ts.

So at least make it work even with no MLS/Argos, get the Lynx on board, and have youth soccer games, etc. so it makes sense on an annual basis.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

The key seems to be that there is no Kevan Pipe involvement in either case, and no blaming of Rogers or a CFL team in these soccer cities because the jobs not getting done. Just two names, Kerfoot and Saputo, quitely going about their soccer interests, and in the process bailing out that inept little twonk (love that lable) in Ottawa. If you ask me, it's a two horse race. It's to bad Toronto got suckered in by Kevan Pipe. It looks like his preoccupied buddy Joe Volpe might soon be added to the list of scapegoats in the saga of Toronto trying to build a stadium to host the World Youth Cup's Final. The CSA couldn't even announce where the final is going to be held. It should have been awarded to Edmonton, they have a 50,000 seat stadium, but Kevan is obviously still holding out hope that a yet to be built, downsized Toronto venue can host the crown jewel game of this tournament. Was that what he promised the academics at York. Your welcome Edmonton. Big mistake!

Robert, did you catch Passion of the Christ? That dark figure behind Jesus was Kevan Pipe.

Thank God for gun control and drug insurance plans :)

Archived