York Stadium Argos OFFICIALLY pull out

brodycheese

quote:Originally posted by Robert

I'll agree, but only because it's the easiest (not the best) to accomplish out of the three. Instead of Toronto though, I think that Canada and the CSA should get behind Montreal for a MLS franchise. The Saputo family have shown the best commitment to date, and if the CSA could bring the government money together with the Saputo money, an MLS standard sized stadium might be a realistic possibility. The Impact are also the most successful club in Canada right now, both in accomplishments on the field and attendance wise at the gate. In addition to that, I am guessing that the Impact have recently supplied the Men's National Team with more young players than the Lynx or Whitecaps have. No disrespect to Toronto, but out of the three major soccer markets in Canada right now, I would place them third. Attendance figures as well as performce on the field confirm that choice. Vancouver as things stand right now would have to be Canada's second choice for an MLS franchise. With commited ownership equal to that of the Impact, the Whitecaps are still IMO second best on the field when it comes to the Impact (I pray they prove me wrong though). Attendances in Vancouver remain under a 5,000 per game average over the course of a season, and that would need to be improved upon before the MLS could be considered. Toronto IMO is a long ways off from proving it belongs in the MLS. Soccer support in Toronto sucks. Yes it would improve for the higher standard of soccer played in the MLS, but that would also hold true for Montreal and Vancouver.

Correct me if i am wrong Robert, but didn't the same family who

owns the Impact close it down for a season or two a few seasons,

back due to financial troubles? that would worry the MLS> Yes,

Toronto has not gone out of it's way to support the sport since

the Blizzard in the NASL, but look at the current Toronto team,

the LYNX, it's run mickey mouse style,play in a s**t stadium,

no one can get to without a hassle, and they are not competitive.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Correct me if i am wrong Robert, but didn't the same family who

owns the Impact close it down for a season or two a few seasons,

back due to financial troubles?

No. Saputo sold it and the new owners ran out of money and just took off (supposedly players went hunting for them). Saputo stepped back in although the club is set-up as a non-profit organization. Saputo is the president I do believe.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

No. Saputo sold it and the new owners ran out of money and just took off (supposedly players went hunting for them). Saputo stepped back in although the club is set-up as a non-profit organization. Saputo is the president I do believe.

Actually I think they did shut the Impact down for a year before it went to the Ionian Financial group, because Saputo didn't think the A-league was taking itself seriously enough, with some teams playing in high-school soccer fields in the US (although I find they tend to be better stadiums than what the Lynx currently use).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually I think they did shut the Impact down for a year before it went to the Ionian Financial group, because Saputo didn't think the A-league was taking itself seriously enough, with some teams playing in high-school soccer fields in the US (although I find they tend to be better stadiums than what the Lynx currently use).

http://montrealimpact.com/historique/history.htm

It seems that Saputo sold the team in the spring of 99 to a group of local businessmen (before Ioanian) and they decided not to play in 99. Ioanian bought the team in 2000 summer and tookoff in the summer of 2001 when the league took over.

Robert, regardless of who you or Canada deems to be first thru third choices for MLS franchise, it is the MLS who will decide where they want to put their team. And they want it to be in Toronto. Greater Toronto is the fourth biggest market in North America. Every major league sport that has entered the GTA market is still there thriving, even the evil Argos are starting to thrive. The other cities who are ahead on your pecking order couldn't keep baseball and basketball teams, lost and regained a football one too. That is a black mark against the commitment quotient of those cities. As for soccer support in Toronto, well if the Saputos and Impact were in Toronto there would be similar levels of support. Toronto doesn't appear to have much soccer support because people dont want to spend summer days watching poor quality soccer when they could go watch MLB baseball or the Argos. Give us a serious team in a serious league and watch the soccer fans materialize. Remember the hacks who said no-one in TO would pay to watch NBA basketball because its a hockey town? ????

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Robert, regardless of who you or Canada deems to be first thru third choices for MLS franchise, it is the MLS who will decide where they want to put their team. And they want it to be in Toronto. Greater Toronto is the fourth biggest market in North America. Every major league sport that has entered the GTA market is still there thriving, even the evil Argos are starting to thrive. The other cities who are ahead on your pecking order couldn't keep baseball and basketball teams, lost and regained a football one too. That is a black mark against the commitment quotient of those cities. As for soccer support in Toronto, well if the Saputos and Impact were in Toronto there would be similar levels of support. Toronto doesn't appear to have much soccer support because people dont want to spend summer days watching poor quality soccer when they could go watch MLB baseball or the Argos. Give us a serious team in a serious league and watch the soccer fans materialize. Remember the hacks who said no-one in TO would pay to watch NBA basketball because its a hockey town? ????

Lets get all 3 major soocer cities in Canada, Toronto,Montreal,&

Montreal in. But

till then I have the Greatest team in the world to support....

Celtic FC

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Lets get all 3 major soocer cities in Canada, Toronto,Montreal,&

Montreal in. But

till then I have the Greatest team in the world to support....

Celtic FC

The name Ove Kindvall does bring back very fond memories of Celtic for me too.;)

Archived