CSA new look/design

Bxl Boy

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Is the current logo really that recognizable? What percentage of Canadians would recognize it - or get behind it for that matter? The fact that the (current?) logo is recognizable to us does not mean that it's good. The typeface is ridiculous and the soccer ball is redundant.

Soccer ball + Canada + maple leafs = Canada soccer.

Can't get much more recognizable than that.

If you showed a non-soccer fan England's three lions, and then showed them soccer canada's symbol, which do you think would be the recognizable soccer logo? Ours.

Are we going to get anything that is so simple and obviously soccer that isn't tacky or flaming? Probably not.

Making it historical or military-esque or adorning it with beavers and moose and mounties would only make it recognizable to those in the know. Isn't that what we want to avoid?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I just took a close hard look at the existing font. Wow, that is kinda wacky. A bit surprising in fact. I never noticed that the 'N' is a more typical lower-case 'n'. Still, it works. Those 'A's are funky.

Still, I like it. Any new logo would hopefully just be a minor refinement. (like a FLAMING BALL!!!)

E-mails should be sent to logo@soccercan.ca

Let's see some ideas for new logos first, why assume the submissions will suck before we've seen any? Someone here once pointed out our lettering smacks of Star Trek the next generation, a designer can at least fix that.

The idea is not to make the symbol as obvious as possible so that even an idiot could figure out what it meant. I mean, we save that kind of logic for exit signs and maps. The idea behind a logo is something that embodies a larger collective spirit. That's why the maple leaf is an obvious choice. Put a little soccer ball at the bottom and write Canadian Soccer Association and it'll look a hundred times better than the current one.

(And no, I don't think more people would recognize the current logo than would recognize England's lions. But it certainly must be easier to figure out if you have no idea about either. Does that make it inspiring?)

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

The idea is not to make the symbol as obvious as possible so that even an idiot could figure out what it meant. I mean, we save that kind of logic for exit signs and maps...But it certainly must be easier to figure out if you have no idea about either.

That's my point. This is our logo to the world. I think that when your product (which is how we have to think of the sports, as a product, in my opinion) is as anonymous and unsuccessful as Canadian soccer, this kind of logic comes into play (whereas it wouldn't be a top concern to Canadian hockey.) We need to set our sights on making one that's recognizable to the 90 percent of Canadians and the 99.9 percent of world citizens who are unaware of our existence.

Soccer doesn't have the social importance, sporting history, or the brand knowledge to be anything but obvious. Importing a logo with an artificial history, which will contain the same features (most likely ball and leaf), while losing the idiot-proof interpretation serves no purpose. (That being said, if they can keep the functionality into a new updated logo I might be for it.)

Anyway, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree, as I find the logo both easily-interpreted and inspiring.

Guys, I am in favour of changing the logo. Here are some ideas that we could look at. They don't need to be so military or royalty. We could incorporate some of these maple-leafs and beavers and perhaps add a soccer ball. I wish I could be an artist, but this is a way how I could express my artistic talent. I always did admire the old style of maple. There's nothing wrong with change.

R5D963.jpgN3J410.jpgqor.gifbc-dragoons.jpg

8recce.jpgwinnipeg.jpg

perth.jpghull.jpg

jewish.jpg2163.JPG

Can23.JPGCan1a.JPG

canada_doc.gif

I like the old logo, no need to change it. If you keep a logo for along time its an easy way to infuse the game in Canada with some tradition. Some have complained about the lettering, I think it's fine, even if it has a bit of the Star Trek about it.

I don't understand why the CSA feels that their product needs a revamping. All the reasons set out in the first post weren't very good. Maybe they want to churn out new merchandise and can't think of a better excuse.

I would love to know what marketing genius decided that Canadian soccer needs a knew symbol ? As others have said, it provides a bit of tradition that is sorely lacking in canadian soccer.

What is the benefit of tossing a symbol that Canadian fans identify with and appreciate ? Why fix what isn't broken ?

CSA website: "Please note that no acknowledgement, in any form, can be provided to anyone submitting a design. As the intent of this process is to include the Canadian soccer community in a fun project, there will be no compensation provided if one of the entries is selected."

The CSA are so cheap they won't even send the winner a free jersey? A hat? A beer? I was thinking about taking part in this before, but now something tells me most of their submissions will be done in crayon.

A new logo would be great, the current one a bit simple, but a whole new

colour change would be great. Black jersey (home) Red maple leaf crest

& number, red shorts, white socks. Away jersey,green strip,black shorts

and red socks with a white maple leaf on each.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

CSA website: "Please note that no acknowledgement, in any form, can be provided to anyone submitting a design. As the intent of this process is to include the Canadian soccer community in a fun project, there will be no compensation provided if one of the entries is selected."

The CSA are so cheap they won't even send the winner a free jersey? A hat? A beer? I was thinking about taking part in this before, but now something tells me most of their submissions will be done in crayon.

It does seem more than cheap and downright lame.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I would love to know what marketing genius decided that Canadian soccer needs a knew symbol ? As others have said, it provides a bit of tradition that is sorely lacking in canadian soccer.

What is the benefit of tossing a symbol that Canadian fans identify with and appreciate ? Why fix what isn't broken ?

Genius the CSA are not by any stretch of imagination. It is my understanding that they use an outside marketing agency, at least for seeking sponsors and a poor one at that. It smells to me as a money grab for the marketing agency. No prize money, tipical if I may say so.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Genius the CSA are not by any stretch of imagination. It is my understanding that they use an outside marketing agency, at least for seeking sponsors and a poor one at that. It smells to me as a money grab for the marketing agency. No prize money, tipical if I may say so.

More that they can't get the money at the first place. Look at the deals CIBC made with the CSA and Alpine Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

It's a work for StrobeZ or the scarves designers

But they should pay you for doing it

Those kinds of contest is often to avoid to pay some designers to do a logo...

Something for nothing. How typical of Kevan Pipe. However, if you try to promote a game, he's first in line for a hand-out. When are we ever going to rid ourselves of this pathetic little man and get on with the business of soccer? Picture a logo of my middle finger with the caption: "F you Kevan" But there's no way I will surrender my rights for free and let Keven Pipe make millions of the sale of my logo design.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

More that they can't get the money at the first place. Look at the deals CIBC made with the CSA and Alpine Canada.

Well how about an autographed jersey or tickets to a WYC game? It's not all about money.

Nope, no prize. It appears even after you've signed your design over to them you'll also get no recognition for doing it, or prize of any kind. So since I'm guessing they aren't promoting this anywhere but on their website, they think some people browsing by will put some effort into filling out their paperwork and mailing something in. It makes me laugh how pathetic our soccer association is. If they're going to do something to waste time they should put some effort into their website before trying to hustle up a free logo. I like the bar at the top with Hume still in his U-20 jersey.

Archived