CSA new look/design

Bxl Boy

CSA Searching For New Look

Canadian Soccer Community Invited to Submit Logos for Consideration

Ottawa, Ontario – As the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) nears its 100th anniversary, it is embarking on some of the most exciting projects in its history. Some of the current activities and projects include:

- Having been awarded the hosting rights for the FIFA World Youth Championship Canada 2007

- Continued growth in membership, this year, reaching over 825,000 registered participants

- A mini-soccer program nearing 500,000 attendees, with success solely driven by the local volunteers within clubs across the country

- Elite Provincial team programs that continue to supply talent to the improving National team programs

- New infrastructure projects, including the construction of a new stadium at York University, as well as several other potential associated projects currently under review

As part of our future planning, we have taken the initiative to try and capture some of the energy and enthusiasm that surrounds Canadian soccer through a search to find a new, updated CSA logo. While all would agree that it is important to connect to the past and maintain equity in the current design, it is time to look forward as well.

With this direction in mind, the CSA formally invites the Canadian soccer community to participate in the process of generating a new look for 2006 and beyond.

Time

The deadline for submissions is Monday, April 4, 2005 at 12 noon ET. All submissions should be sent to:

CSA Logo Design Committee

The Canadian Soccer Association

237 Metcalfe Street.

Ottawa, ON

K2P 1R2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya, i like the CSA's current logo.

what i think we need is a new KIT!!!

my vote is,

HOME: Red socks, red shorts, red top with a thick white stripe down the centre (sort of an ajax reverse) and put the CSA logo and number in the middle ala the maple leaf.

no country has that type of kit, and adidas would be stoked to sell lots of kits. the kit you see people wearing the most at games, i believe, is the original kit made for world cup 98 qualifying.

if there were one thing the CSA need not change it's the logo. I think the current logo has a simple elegance. A new kit would be great, I think we should take a page from Cameroon and be trying new and different from everyone else designs (and make them easy for punters to get their hands on), but definately feature the current crest design.

Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to all those logo buffs here on Voyageur, I extent a challenge to start a logo design competition here on Voyageur. Please keep the traditional colours of Canada: red and white.

I remember some of the neat design that were made for the Calgary Mustangs and the Edmonton Aviators.

I still like the old logo, but you have to admit the typeface on the word "Canada" is out of date. That old-style black and white soccer ball seems to be going the way of the dinosaur too. At least you never see it on TV anymore.

Personally, my favourite national team logo is the Japanese one with the three-legged bird. I have no clue why the bird has three legs, but it's a cool logo.

Yeah I think that old style Canada lettering is only a few years from being 'cool' retro. I fear what you do Daniel, it's going to be som ebad ball design. I really think we have the best possible ball-inclusive design right now, and that's what makes it instantly recognizable.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I agree with the logo, it is distinctively ours. Nobody (as dated as it looks) has anything like it.

I would like a new kit too... I was thinking, red socks, white shorts, red and white hoops top.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I agree with the logo, it is distinctively ours. Nobody (as dated as it looks) has anything like it.

I would like a new kit too... I was thinking, red socks, white shorts, red and white hoops top.

The logo is fine. Doesn't the CSA have anything better to do. More than a new logo we need new people in there. In any event no matter what the logo is the latin countries will continue to refer to us as "el pais de la hoja del maple" which means the country of the maple leaf. Nothing wrong with that as it makes us unique world round. New logos or new kits will not make us win games.

The logo is fine. Doesn't the CSA have anything better to do. More than a new logo we need new people in there. In any event no matter what the logo is the latin countries will continue to refer to us as "el pais de la hoja del maple" which means the country of the maple leaf. Nothing wrong with that as it makes us unique world round. New logos or new kits will not make us win games.

i love the logo, it works, leave it alone ...

what doesn't work is this, it's loathsome ...

Compensation

As the intent of this process is to include the Canadian soccer community in a fun project, there will be no compensation provided if one of the entries is selected.

The CSA has got to be kidding me...the logo is so characteristic of Canadian soccer that it shouldn`t be touched.

I understand where the CSA is coming from, but there has to be only minor changes to the logo which is the only way to maintain any consistency of the Canadian soccer "brand". Any drastic changes (for instance getting rid of the soccer ball-leaf) would cause just confusion and discontent amongst the canadian soccer community.

Is the current logo really that recognizable? What percentage of Canadians would recognize it - or get behind it for that matter? The fact that the (current?) logo is recognizable to us does not mean that it's good. The typeface is ridiculous and the soccer ball is redundant. If we're going to call on history or summon up national pride (especially among those who put down Canadian soccer) then the symbol should be something with historical or national significance.

I agree with Ruis, it should be a old military-like symbol (minus the queen). Without drawing too many parallels between war and soccer, we can ask why the military chooses its symbols to inspire national loyalty in its troops. Fifa and Concacaf call us the "Maple Leafs" and I think we need to capitalize on the (little) international notoriety we have and pick one of a hundred old maple leaf symbols we have, which date back to 1700.

Archived