Wheelock's Article on MLS in Canada (Duck)

beachesl

As MLS expansion looms, the best choice for a new team isn't necessarily within U.S. borders

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3400906

Sean Wheelock / Fox Soccer Channel

Posted: 12 hours ago

Although the 2005 Major League Soccer soccer season has yet to begin, it's not too early to start thinking about the next round of expansion.

The addition of CD Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake for the upcoming campaign marks the beginning of an aggressive plan of growth by MLS, which could see the league reach as many as 20 clubs. It is all but certain that two more expansion sides will enter the league by the 2007 season, meaning that the announcement of the new cities could come by year's end.

And right now, there is no short supply of those expressing at least preliminary interest. Seattle, Cleveland, Rochester, Portland, Detroit, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, to name just a few, with the list seemingly growing by the month.

Yet there is one potential MLS city that currently stands out as ideal above all the rest, and beckons as the perfect choice for the league's next round of expansion. For starters, it would house the new club in a state-of-the-art 25,000-seat soccer-specific stadium, to be opened in 2007. Secondly, the ownership/investor group is an established, respected, and locally based multi-million dollar sports corporation, willing to make a long-term commitment. Thirdly, the city has a metro population of 5.3 million residents, and is renowned as hip, vibrant, and cosmopolitan.

And there's more. A history of soccer that dates back to the formative years of the NASL, as well as an active tradition of strongly supporting other major league professional sports. A diverse and growing ethnic population. A youth soccer registry of 363,000 active players in the region. A genuine desire to see MLS come to their city.

Sounds perfect, and I think it is for MLS. There's just one thing though; it's not located in the United States.

The city which I am advocating is Toronto, and rather than see its foreign location as a negative, I consider it as the final positive in this expansion equation. By placing a new franchise in Toronto, MLS is not just creating substantial interest in new city, they are in fact doing so in a new country. The Toronto MLS club would become "Canada's Team" for the country's legion of soccer fans.

While other cities continually discuss plans and express their desire to construct a soccer-specific stadium, Toronto is definitely going to have one in place and ready to house an MLS club. A 25,000 seat venue will be constructed as the centerpiece for Canada's hosting of the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship, at a cost of $70 million Canadian (about $56.5 million in U.S. Dollars).

Although the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League have already signed on as a tenant, make no mistake, this stadium is being built primarily for soccer. The plan is to create not only the main venue for Canada's international matches, but also to attract an expansion club in MLS.

Ownership has also been an issue that has rendered many cities interested in gaining an MLS franchise nothing more than dreamers. No such problem here, as Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, owners of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and NBA's Toronto Raptors, is the group currently in discussions with the league to bring an expansion club to the city. Obviously, finances and reputation will not be a problem.

Now, I know that one issue that will be raised in objection to Toronto, is the fact that MLS is an American soccer league, and thus should include only American cities. Well, I reject that type of thinking outright as contrary to the global nature and inherent inclusiveness of the sport.

If Cardiff City were to be promoted to the Premiership, does that somehow make the league less English? Not a chance. MLS is the American First Division, and that will simply not change if a club is placed in Toronto, or Mexico City for that matter. The designation comes from where the league office and the vast majority of its clubs are based.

Then there is the issue of FIFA, and whether they will approve. I've spoken to top league officials about this very subject, and have been told the same thing: FIFA won't have a problem whatsoever. And really, why would they? A chance to further grow and enhance the sport in both the US and Canada; why would Sepp Blatter be anything but wholly supportive and utterly joyous? It's not like Canada has their own domestic first division that would be put at risk. Last time I looked, the CSL went out of business after the 1992 season.

Cardiff City, a team located in Wales, has played for years in the English First Division, now known as the Coca Cola Championship. (Ian Walton / GettyImages)

And it's not like a precedent would have to be set. The NASL happily existed with as many as five Canadian clubs, and despite its name, was generally considered an American soccer league. Last year, the U.S. second division A-League had a total of 16 clubs, five of which were based in Canada. FIFA never raised an objection in either case.

Internationally, the precedent has long been set as well. Now, the U.N. may not recognize Wales as a separate nation, but FIFA certainly does. I've already cited the Cardiff City example, a side currently in the English Championship. There's also Wrexham in England's League 1 and Swansea in England's League 2. Australia's top flight, to be relaunched this year as the Hyundai A-League, will include Auckland Kingz, based of course in New Zealand. And then there is Lichtenstein's top club, FC Vaduz, who play in the Swiss second division.

So Toronto in MLS is not exactly going to create an idealogical quandary for FIFA.

Now, as for the 'citizen' classification, that won't be a problem either. Canadians on the Toronto franchise would almost certainly be afforded the same status given to Americans on the U.S. based MLS clubs. Any non-Canadian would then fall into the foreign player category, clearing the way for a large number of the country's internationals to join the club without restriction.

It would be in the best interest of both Major league Soccer and the expansion club in Toronto to create a de-facto National Team, which both the city and the country could get behind with patriotic zeal and pride. The Toronto matches would be shown on television nationally, not just locally or regionally, and likely in both English and French. Media coverage and merchandising would exist across Canada as well, obviously boosting the profile and expanding the support base of MLS.

Finally, I know that some American fans are going to claim that placing an MLS club in Toronto is going to help the Canadian squad. Now I do agree that Canada will benefit from having many of its internationals playing together on a weekly basis, but I don't see this as a detriment to the success of the U.S. National Team.

The United States has achieved the status of the top nation in CONCACAF and emerging world power in the sport, and as supporters we should feel secure in these facts. For the American squad to keep improving and gaining more impressive results, it's vital that MLS becomes both bigger and better. If Canada or any other country benefits as a result, that's absolutely fine with me.

Major League Soccer is going to keep adding clubs over the next decade; this simply is not in question. It's paramount then that the right cities, possessing the right stadium, ownership group, and fans, be selected to ensure the continual growth and success of the league. As MLS enters its tenth season, the margin for error afforded to new leagues has now all but disappeared. Major League Soccer must choose wisely when determining where to place a new franchise. Toronto now looms as the perfect choice.

Next week in this column, I'll interview Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment President and CEO Richard Peddie, the man at the forefront of the Toronto MLS bid.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Sportsnet put him up to this? :P

I'll be interested to read the interview with MLSE next week.

I think the one thing that he underestimates is the Toronto-ROC split. Juts like the Raptors aren't Canada's team (few outside of TO who follow the NBA would have them as their favourite - although the American players might have something to do with it) and the broadcasting. Unless the team would buy airtime ala TO Rock, I doubt they'd get a contract and there's NO WAY that their games would be transmitted in French.

A good article, although I disagree with the author.

I agree with Daniel, this whole "Canada's team" is completly over rated. I'm sure if a Toronto MLS team means the end of any CSL fantasies, the rest of Canada will love Toronto MLS for sure.

Games in French? That's funny. It would have been remotely believable if he said Italian or Chinese like the Raptors, but French?

As for the Leafs, I'll believe it when I see it.

Lets have a little poll:

Option 1: New stadium & Toronto MLS team and everything that means (i.e. no CSL)

Option 2: No stadium & no threat of Toronto MLS

No other options allowed. :)

I'm sure I'll be shocked by the results <need eye rolling smilie>

We've been discussing this a lot on some the other boards I post on (Matchnight.com, ussocceruk.com, BS) and I the thing I kept coming back to was there is no way all of Canada would support just one team. I think it shows extreme ignorance to think not only would the entire nation support a single team but that games would also get broadcast in French.

Secondly, I love when he mentions nationwide marketing and merchandise. "Media coverage and merchandising would exist across Canada as well, obviously boosting the profile and expanding the support base of MLS." It would be nice to have that in America! You will never find MLS equipment outside of MLS venues or their website and their media coverage lies just this side of Arena Football. I don't know who's in charge of media relations and/or marketing for MLS but I'm sure his job is to make sure nobody outside soccer fans know or care about it's existence. You will not find MLS TV ads and you will be lucky to find print ads.

Thirdly if this is the going to be the home of Argos, won't they get to call all the shots? That means the dreaded football lines on the field. I was under the impression all new MLS expansion was going to be dependent on an SSS. I don't buy this "oh don't mind the CFL team, it's going to be built for soccer" stuff. My team (the Revolution) told us our shared stadium with our NFL team was going to be built with "soccer in mind" and nothing could be further from the truth. Am I wrong in thinking an MLS side would play second fiddle to the Argonauts?

Lastly, didn't I read in a Ben Knight column last year about the stadium being built in cooperation with the U of T, who were insisting on an Olympic-sized track around the pitch?!

Nice read, although perhaps a little one-sided. I look forward to next week's article.

I agree that there is an overestimation on the "Canada's Team" angle. However, if the team is stocked with Canadians, then it will help somewhat in that respect. I don't think anyone would argue for a second that the Raptors are Canada's Team, unless they go and sign Steve Nash.

Also, I'd say that this stadium is more built for CFL than soccer, but I'll take what I can get.

MLS is gate-driven, period. The Toronto marketplace is all any bid group needs to worry about because in order to survive they'd need people with Toronto addresses coming through the gates. Any additional revenue and/or interest they can gernerate outside the immediate marketplace would only be gravy. However, it should not be where their focus is, should they decide to pursue this all the way through.

Sean has written about this subject before.

God bless him his heart is in the right place.

However, the CSA has to be in on the deal.

We all want to support the game at the highest level and that

means that the three main venues in Canada, Toronto, Montreal and

Vancouver have to be in the league.

There is no sugar daddy to put money into a franchise.

If Toronto did get an MLS franchise would they be able to be called the Blizzard? Or is their some kind of copyright issue with it? If not I would prefer that the team be called Toronto FC, just so it sounds more European, maybe it will get more respect from the European population around the city.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Luis has the details on the "Blizzard" name rights. The last owner, some Italian fellow that Luis knows, has the rights, and is apparently opening to selling them at a reasonable price.

Let's get real!!! This is an argument of which I have been engaged with Robert, Richard and Moosehead on another thread here at Voyageur. As I said time-and-time again, would Toronto support team-canada-MLS concept??? Would Torontonians would really getoff their buts and support such a concept??? As I said to Richard, Robert and Moosehead, I don't think so!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Let's get real!!! This is an argument of which I have been engaged with Robert, Richard and Moosehead on another thread here at Voyageur. As I said time-and-time again, would Toronto support team-canada-MLS concept??? Would Torontonians would really getoff their buts and support such a concept??? As I said to Richard, Robert and Moosehead, I don't think so!!!!!!!

Thanks for answering the question and sharing the info, Luis.

By the way, how do you feel about the MLS coming to Toronto?:)

You have been arguing with them about whether a team would be called the Blizzard? Can you answer the question if you know the answer? If you dont want a team in Toronto, then dont go, theres no need to start all that crap up again about who deserves a team.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Would Torontonians would really getoff their buts and support such a concept???

Lets put this in perspective. While I have some concerns about the MLS in Canada Wheelock emphasized the strong local support that T.O. could provide an MLS team. If his sources are right and MLSE is getting involved they then have deep-pocketed backers (well, deep-enough I would think).

Now if he had just stopped there we would all be having a different argument. Of course NO ONE, not Torontonians and certainly not "The Rest of Canada" would ever buy into a "Team Canada" concept. I will NEVER support T.O. but at the same time, if they employed 1/2 - 2/3 the national team on thier roster that would be great.

So let's just all go [xx(] whenever someone talks about "Team Canada" and ignore the whole stupid concept (except to make sure whoever runs the team NEVER EVER uses those words or anything else like it in a public place. :D )

quote:Originally posted by Robert

I'm curious about if the MLS rejects having a foreign based team, would this potential "Team Canada" investor group that is established, respected, and locally based multi-million dollar sports corporation investors be interested in investing their money into a Toronto franchise to compete in a soon to be established Canadian Major League Soccer venture? All the other factors would still be constant, it will still feature the same make no mistake primarily built for soccer stadium, the same hip, vibrant, and cosmopolitan fan base. The States already has enough investors for whom obviously, finances and reputation will not be a problem. So why does this so-called "Team Canada" group not appear interested in a Canadian enterprise? Has this "Team Canada" group no national integrity? Only in Toronto, eh!

Just extend some Canadian hospitality to the MLS in an Email entitled "Welome to Toronto." It was slightly toned down from the above version.

Perhaps they figured out they can make money as part of the MLS but not so in a Canadian enterprise? You can be sure if investors believed that a domestic Canadian pro league could be profitable we'd already have one.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Perhaps they figured out they can make money as part of the MLS but not so in a Canadian enterprise? You can be sure if investors believed that a domestic Canadian pro league could be profitable we'd already have one.

Give them all a green card and be done with them. Canada's team, ha. What a joke. Toronto is a very American city that just happens to be located in Canada. According to this Wheelock joker, "the fact is that MLS is an American soccer league" and "the MLS is the American First Division." Now if Toronto gets in and they happen to win the league, what are they? The American champions? The Canadian champions of America? Would the United States forgo a spot in CONCACAF champions league play? Or would US dollars take care of that too?

quote:Although the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League have already signed on as a tenant, make no mistake, this stadium is being built primarily for soccer. The plan is to create not only the main venue for Canada's international matches, but also to attract an expansion club in MLS.

Here's Wheelock going off. The stadium isn't even close to an SSS. The stadium was designed for Canadian Football from the start. Soccer isn't putting any money into the project while the Argos are putting in $20 Million to help build the stadium. Such a shame he can't catch that.

quote:It would be in the best interest of both Major league Soccer and the expansion club in Toronto to create a de-facto National Team, which both the city and the country could get behind with patriotic zeal and pride. The Toronto matches would be shown on television nationally, not just locally or regionally, and likely in both English and French. Media coverage and merchandising would exist across Canada as well, obviously boosting the profile and expanding the support base of MLS.

Here we go again. Sometimes people just don't learn that "Canada's Team" means squat. The Jays and Raptors have tried that same scheme for years only to keep falling on their faces. No one outside of Toronto would care for such a team.

The French language broadcast is also a joke and Wheelock has no clue what he's talking about. Radio-Canada wouldn't even give a damn about such a franchise. Neither would RDS, the French language sports channel. This can be seen in how RDS deals with it's CFL broadcast. Apart from the playoffs, the only CFL games that get broadcast on RDS are those of the Montreal Alouettes.

quote:Internationally, the precedent has long been set as well. Now, the U.N. may not recognize Wales as a separate nation, but FIFA certainly does. I've already cited the Cardiff City example, a side currently in the English Championship. There's also Wrexham in England's League 1 and Swansea in England's League 2. Australia's top flight, to be relaunched this year as the Hyundai A-League, will include Auckland Kingz, based of course in New Zealand. And then there is Lichtenstein's top club, FC Vaduz, who play in the Swiss second division.

Another sign of poor research. The NZ entry in the A-League will be called New Zealand Knights. The old Football Kingz got a 5 year grace period from FIFA to compete in the old NSL. The A-League will not be expanding for 5 years since it's obvious they got another grace period for the Knights. Yet New Zeland has revitalized it's national league and it's hard to tell how much of a success Knights will be given the miserable failure of Kingz FC.

quote:Ownership has also been an issue that has rendered many cities interested in gaining an MLS franchise nothing more than dreamers. No such problem here, as Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, owners of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and NBA's Toronto Raptors, is the group currently in discussions with the league to bring an expansion club to the city. Obviously, finances and reputation will not be a problem.

Wheelock never did his homework. MLSE had plans that would've seen them not only buy the Argos but build a modern stadium on the campus of the University of Toronto (not an SSS) in addition to a practice arena for the Leafs. They backed out when they saw the cost was too much for them.

quote:Then there is the issue of FIFA, and whether they will approve. I've spoken to top league officials about this very subject, and have been told the same thing: FIFA won't have a problem whatsoever. And really, why would they? A chance to further grow and enhance the sport in both the US and Canada; why would Sepp Blatter be anything but wholly supportive and utterly joyous? It's not like Canada has their own domestic first division that would be put at risk. Last time I looked, the CSL went out of business after the 1992 season.

Yet the CSL still lives on thanks to the talent it produced. The Whitecaps are a carry over from the CSL when they were the 86ers. Same with the Montreal Impact.

Wheelock whould also know that the CFL, which was on life support in '92, is alive and well with plans of expansion in the future.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Wheelock never did his homework. MLSE had plans that would've seen them not only buy the Argos but build a modern stadium on the campus of the University of Toronto (not an SSS) in addition to a practice arena for the Leafs. They backed out when they saw the cost was too much for them.

This is one point you got wrong, as he mentions at the end of the article that his next piece will be an interview with Richard Peddie, so obviously he had 'done his homework' on that one, since Peddie would not be even doing that interview (probably already done) if MLSE was no longer interested in MLS.

He never mentioned the stadium deal with U of T.

I am sure the CSA is not expecting all of Canada to through our support into this one venture. No doubt ,and I agree, that MLS TO should be a nationalistic flagship club, but at the same time the support for other clubs (a-league or otherwise) would continue and that would be encouraged by the CSA.

I was a fan of the Calgary Mustangs until they fell through. However some people claim they are only taking a year off to re-tool. If they return, I would willingly support both the Calgary and MLS teams. As there is a division in leagues, I dont see why people cant support both in some way, especially those outside of Ontario.

However I am wondering, what would be the fate of the Toronto Lynx? They seem to be doing alot better in recent years, on and off the pitch. Would it be feasable to move them to another community?

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I am sure the CSA is not expecting all of Canada to through our support into this one venture. No doubt ,and I agree, that MLS TO should be a nationalistic flagship club, but at the same time the support for other clubs (a-league or otherwise) would continue and that would be encouraged by the CSA.

I was a fan of the Calgary Mustangs until they fell through. However some people claim they are only taking a year off to re-tool. If they return, I would willingly support both the Calgary and MLS teams. As there is a division in leagues, I dont see why people cant support both in some way, especially those outside of Ontario.

However I am wondering, what would be the fate of the Toronto Lynx? They seem to be doing alot better in recent years, on and off the pitch. Would it be feasable to move them to another community?

The Hamilton Lynx?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

This is one point you got wrong, as he mentions at the end of the article that his next piece will be an interview with Richard Peddie, so obviously he had 'done his homework' on that one, since Peddie would not be even doing that interview (probably already done) if MLSE was no longer interested in MLS.

He never mentioned the stadium deal with U of T.

Wheelock never did his homework. The only thing he does is be a cheerleader for Toronto. He isn't going to let the reality get in the way of doing his work.

Archived