Wheelock's Article on MLS in Canada (Duck)

beachesl

Just shed a little more light on the NASL, the players often referred to as oldtimers coming over to extend their careers were not as old as some might have thought.

Players and the age at which they entered the NASL

Trevor Francis - 24

Georgio Chinaglia - 29

Roberto Bettega - 33

Franz Beckenbauer - 32

Pele - 35

Johann Cruyff - 32

George Best - 30

Gerd Muller - 34

Johann Neeskins - 28

Yes, Pele was 35 but when you consider that Romario continues to play for Fluminese while nearing 40, it isn't really a stretch to think that Pele could still play better than most. And Beckenbauer at 32? Heck we talk about convincing DeVos to stick around for 2010 at 36.

Some players who played in World Cups after having played in the NASL

Peter Beardsley - England 1986

Javier Aguirre - Mexico 1986

Cubillas - Peru 1982

Hugo Sanchez - Mexico 1986

Julio Cesar Romero - Paraguay 1986

Oscar - Brazil 1982

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am willing to propose teams: Here they are: Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal, Windsor, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Victoria, and Regina (maybe).

My choices west to east are Victoria-Vancouver Calgary-Edmonton-Saskatoon (5,000 for a game last year between VCR & CAL) Winnipeg, Toronto-Hamilton-Ottawa, Montreal-Quebec City, Halifax-St John(s).

I don't think you can have a league without the MTL-QUE rivalry and both cities have suitable venues. I also think our east coast friends are shut-out in these discussions...hence Halifax and one of the "Saints". The key would be to create as many close rivalries as possible, not only for the fans but for the travel costs.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

He failed Gordon. Wheelock should know better to give background on MLSE instead of being a cheerleader.

MLS only cares about TO because they have cash regardless if they have fans or not. If MLS cared so much about making it's league sustainable, Vancouver and Montreal would be far ahead of Toronto. Yet the failure of the Expos and Grizzlies will scare off any intrest in those cities.

Then the Aviators/Drillers/Brickmen/Mustangs/Storm/Boomers should scare off anyone in investing in pro soccer in Alberta.

A Front Page Challenge Al Waxman Pan Canadian Pro Soccer League has about much chance of succeeding, as a club side from Holland ever winning a Champions League Cup in the next 100 years.

Put a real A-league team in TO, forget about the MLS, and make Vancouver, Western Canada's team, Toronto, Ontario teams and Montreal, everyone east of Cornwall teams, and there you have 60 Canadians playing pro soccer.

We don't have more than 60 players that derserve to play at a pro level ANYHO.

Edmonton, Calgary, Moncton, Victoria, Red Deer, Quebec City can watch the games on Sex TV and get the occasional live exibition match.

What would a CSL3 do that the A-league doesn't do? Or didn't do in Alberta?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Very valid point. CSL3 would fail in Alberta too, for the same reason the USL teams collapsed.

Richard.. that's one of the few posts of yours I've actually read all the way through... use paragraphs man! Large blocks of text are just too hard to wade through on screen. I know you've got a lot to say, but you always lose me in the telling. Just thought you should know.

cheers

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Then the Aviators/Drillers/Brickmen/Mustangs/Storm/Boomers should scare off anyone in investing in pro soccer in Alberta.

Yet people continue to invest and will invest in soccer in Alberta.

Well keep up the paranoia for you PAF. Will even thrown in Red Deer Town now and again.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Richard.. that's one of the few posts of yours I've actually read all the way through... use paragraphs man! Large blocks of text are just too hard to wade through on screen. I know you've got a lot to say, but you always lose me in the telling. Just thought you should know.

cheers

How short do you need paragraphs to be so that you don't lose your place? Perhaps you'd prefer double spacing? Or maybe you're using a 640x480 screen resolution? ;)

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Robert, your logic fails in your first line "If another CSL model is taking a step backwards, then trying another NASL model would also constitute a step backwards". Both the CSL and NASL failed, but to determine where a North American model or a Candian model is best now is that you need to analyse the situation as it is.

Anyway, I have no time for argument (i have made my points before and the Doyles' of this world have come clause to providing a convincing argument to the contrary but only creating pipe dreams which are not worth the paper they are written on) and at the end of the day, the MLS supporters are looking likely to win out at the moment. When the Candian league supporters find 6 to 8 cities with suitable owners and facilities and corporate backing, I will take notice. Until then I will watch the MLS closely and hope for the best

Mighty lofty of you. Meanwhile, the battle in the trenches continues over here. One day we peasants will have something for the lofty quasis aristocrats to take notice of. Don't hesitate to give us a shout the next time the UK needs to be liberated.;):D;):D

• 5 months later...
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

He failed Gordon. Wheelock should know better to give background on MLSE instead of being a cheerleader.

MLS only cares about TO because they have cash regardless if they have fans or not. If MLS cared so much about making it's league sustainable, Vancouver and Montreal would be far ahead of Toronto. Yet the failure of the Expos and Grizzlies will scare off any intrest in those cities.

MLS cares because at this point its the only market with the 3 requirments.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's be clear:

The NBA Grizzlies were NOT a failure in Vancouver.

Despite their crap performance on the court, they had very strong attendances, an excellent base of season ticket holders, and were generating merchandising revenues that were well above the league average.

Did they fail? Absolutely not. This is a team that was MOVED at the whim of a US owner because it was cheaper to relocate an existing franchise to the US than purchase the rights to operate a new one.

This owner wanted a US franchise all along, and exploited a golden loophole to save himself millions. He was a douchebag of the worst order, and a poor reflection on our city.

Sick and tired of reading on here that the Grizzlies "failed."

That's a horsesh*t accusation, and people need to get their facts straight.

I still get riled at hearing people say Vancouver did not support the Grizzlies. The NBA put a crap product in Vancouver for six years, with an astoundingly inept management team headed by the incompetent Stu Jackson. Vancouver played 460 NBA games and LOST an astonishing 359 times. In their BEST year, their 6th and last, they won all of 23 of 82 games. Let me repeat that: six years, 101 wins, 359 losses (the '98/99 season was only 50 games due to a lockout).

Yet despite this, attendance averaged well over 16,000 for the first four years, and only dropped significantly (to 13,899 and 13,737) AFTER the lockout year of '98/99, when fans finally got sick of the owner's BS and tired of supporting the crap trotted out by the NBA. The NBA failed Vancouver, not the other way around.

Fan support was not the reason for the Grizzlies demise. It was the poor Corporate support. Alas, the Raptors had no part to play, but I do remember forking out major cash to take my kids to see the Grizlies and the Raps play in Vancouver, and that dork Vince Carter getting a break away from the centre line and choosing to do a lay-up.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Fan support was not the reason for the Grizzlies demise. It was the poor Corporate support. Alas, the Raptors had no part to play, but I do remember forking out major cash to take my kids to see the Grizlies and the Raps play in Vancouver, and that dork Vince Carter getting a break away from the centre line and choosing to do a lay-up.

Thank you! Thats exactly how I viewed from a distance based on . Corporate support is the key to making pro sports like the NBA ( or any big time NA pro sports) viable.

I never saw any support beyond the fringes for NBA basketball in Toronto prior to the arrival of the Raptors. Yet they became one of the better drawing teams in the NBA. Its all about corporate support and season tickets sales. Which is really synomous with one another.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

i blame toronto for the jets leaving winnipeg too....

LOL. Well, this Torontonian hopes that one day, as a result of the new collective bargaining agreement and the new economics of the NHL, we'll see the Jets and the Nordiques back in the league.

You've got a nice arena ready to go even if it is a bit too small.

db

Archived