11 cities bid for 2007 WYC

ray

Could mean for more soccer-friendly stadia ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From CSA:

Canadian Soccer Association

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Eleven Cities Intend To Bid for the 2007 FIFA WYC

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has received 11 letters of intent, from 11 cities across Canada, to bid to host a venue for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship. Including Edmonton and Toronto, which have already been pre-determined as the two major venues, a total of 13 cities are interested in hosting the Championships.

A total of six cities will co-host the Youth Championship, including Edmonton and Toronto, as well as four additional cities to be selected on May 4, 2005.

Letters of intent have been received from Calgary, Hamilton, Laval, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Vancouver, Victoria, and Winnipeg.

“I am absolutely delighted with the response we have had to date from cities all across Canada to our call for letters of intent to host the FIFA World U-20 Youth Championships in 2007,” stated Andy Sharpe, President of The Canadian Soccer Association and Chair of the National Organizing Committee. “To have this type of response from all across the country has exceeded our most optimistic projections. We are most encouraged by not only the quality of organizations we are dealing with but also their intent to stage the best ever Youth Championship in FIFA history in Canada in 2007 as well as creating a series of legacies for the sport of soccer to enjoy following the conclusion of this Championship.”

To host the Championship, all sites must present a stadium which has a minimum 10,000 seating capacity combined with an optimal natural grass playing surface or a FIFA Recommended artificial grass playing surface. All sites now will have until April 20, 2005 to submit their actual detailed bid proposal which will include all details regarding stadium, training facilities, hotels, organizing committees as well as all financial provisions.

The next step for the bid applicants is to submit their official bid by April 20, 2005. The National Organizing Committee, consisting of the CSA’s Executive Committee as well as IMG Vice President Kevin Albrecht will then meet on May 2-3 to receive presentations from all bidding cities. CSA will announce the winning four cities on May 4, 2005.

Canada was awarded the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship in August of 2004.

World Youth Championships

The FIFA World Youth Championship is a three-week, 24 nation, 52-match tournament featuring the best youth (Under-20) players in the world. It is the second largest event staged by FIFA, following the FIFA World Cup. Graduates include: Bebeto, Thierry Henry, Luis Figo, Diego Maradona, Michael Owen, Ronaldinho, and Javier Saviola, as well as Canada’s Craig Forrest and members of the current Men’s World Cup Team, including Julian de Guzman, Iain Hume, Atiba Hutchinson, and Paul Stalteri.

Last held in the CONCACAF (The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football) region of Mexico in 1983, Canada’s most recent participation in this event occurred last December when its squad had its best ever finish, losing to eventual silver medalist Spain, on a golden goal in the quarter finals held in the United Arab Emirates.

The Championship will take place in six major stadiums across Canada, with the dates for the tournament set for July 1-22, 2007.

Venues

Calgary: The City of Calgary is interested in hosting a site for the World Youth Championships and is in the process of determining which stadium will be refurbished in order to meet FIFA's stadium requirements. Calgary has hosted several major sporting events including the 1988 Winter Olympics.

Edmonton: Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is Canada's largest soccer-friendly stadium with a capacity of 60,000 spectators. In 2002, Edmonton and the Commonwealth Stadium hosted the inaugural FIFA Under-19 Women's World Championship. The city drew record crowds as Canada played the United States in front of 48,000 spectators, in the final on September 1, 2002.

Hamilton: Hamilton has hosted several sporting events over the years including the 2003 (and 2006) Bell Canadian Open, the 1986 World Junior Hockey Championships, and international soccer tournaments such as the 1993 World University Games (women's soccer). Hamilton has the support of Tourism Hamilton and McMaster University.

Laval: The Corporation Complexe Multi-Sport de Laval Inc. and Tourism de Laval wish to be selected as a site for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship. Laval will have to build a new stadium in order to meet FIFA's requirements for this event.

London: London has submitted a letter of intent with support from the City of London to be handled by the 32 Panel Sports Corporation and the London Gryphons of the W-League. 32 Panel Sports Corporation, the owners of London Gryphons Soccer team, are in the process of constructing a soccer-specific stadium in London to be ready for use in late 2006.

Montreal: This bid is supported by the Montreal Impact of the USL First Division. The organizers hope to create a legacy by building a soccer-specific stadium, stimulating further interest in professional soccer and high-level competition, and taking the opportunity to exhibit excellence in hosting such a major event.

Ottawa: Ottawa’s Frank Clair Stadium, with its artificial FIFA recommended surface (FieldTurf), has a capacity of 28,000 spectators. The letter of intent is supported by the City of Ottawa, Ottawa Tourism, The Eastern Ontario Soccer Association, The Ottawa Fury Soccer Club of the W-League, and the CFL’s Ottawa Renegades Football Club. Ottawa has hosted numerous women’s soccer events including friendlies against Brazil and England in 2003 averaging 18,000 spectators.

Quebec City: Quebec City, in conjunction with the Université Laval and the Association Règionale de Soccer de Québec, submitted a letter of intent. The city plans to host games at the PEPS Stadium located at the Université Laval. The stadium is equipped with an artificial surface, currently holds 10,000 spectators and can be expanded to 14,000 with temporary seating, and has successfully staged Montreal Impact games in the past.

Sherbrooke: The City of Sherbrooke and the Université de Sherbrooke have submitted a letter of intent. In 2004, the University hosted a Montreal Impact game with an attendance of 10,000 spectators and was also host to the World Junior Athletics Championship in 2002. The natural grass stadium located at the Université de Sherbrooke can hold 12,000 spectators.

Toronto: A major factor in FIFA awarding this event to CSA and Canada was the recent decision by the Governments of Canada, and Ontario on May 21, 2004, to financially support the development of the new Toronto stadium with a joint $35 million contribution to this project. The only condition cited in the awarding of this grant was the requirement by FIFA to stage the World Youth Championship in Canada in 2007. The 25,000 seat stadium on the York University campus will be built, and will serve as a world-class venue for Canadian soccer for decades to come. Toronto will be the main site headquarters for the Championship and will host the most number of matches (minimum of eleven, including the official Championship opening ceremonies and opening game featuring the Canadian National Youth team).

Vancouver/Burnaby: Vancouver has been a popular city for hosting international events including the 2002 FIFA Under-19 Women's World Championship and most recently, two 2006 FIFA Men's World Cup qualifying matches in 2004. Vancouver is the home of the Whitecaps FC of the USL First Division and W-League. Stadium options include Swangard Stadium which has a capacity of 7,000 which would have to be upgraded to hold a minimum of 10,000 fans, or any other stadium project still to be developed.

Victoria: Victoria has hosted several CONCACAF tournaments in conjunction with the CSA, and in 2002, were one of the three cities to host the very successful 2002 FIFA Under-19 Women's World Championships. Centennial Stadium, at the University of Victoria, would be the stadium holding close to 6,000 spectators. Stadium seats would have to be added as a result of FIFA's requirement for a minimum capacity of 10,000.

Winnipeg: Winnipeg hosted the 1999 Pan American Games with great success. Winnipeg is looking to build a new stadium. A $10 million indoor/outdoor soccer facility is being proposed by the Winnipeg Soccer Federation. It would be a combination indoor fourplex with all the amenities, as well as an outdoor 10,000 seat stadium with a third generation artificial turf field. Details of the proposal are being worked out between the City of Winnipeg and the Winnipeg Soccer Federation.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised to hear the number of cities that are planning to go so far as build a facility in order to host the event. That is very incouraging to hear that they are so confident in the success of the event that they are planning to invest in facilities. But the sceptic in me, say that they are bidding in the hope that they can have the feds spend $$$ to build them a facility at little to cost to the municipality or local organizers. I guess that that is the way things work in Canada.

Granted, to some extent this happened in TO. But lets not forget that the Argos are footing a sizable amount of the bill and there will be usage for the facility when the WYC is over. But what the hell does Laval need a 10K soccer facility for? Laval is like Mississauga is to TO and there are no universities in Laval. You also have to wonder about a city like Calgary who is willing to refurbish facilities to accomdate the event. Well, I think that the Storm could have used that kind of Support from the city. Or am I wrong? Perhaps a calgarian could shed some light on this.

I'd say the additional cities will be Ottawa, Vancouver (if they can expand), Montréal and Winnipeg (if they can get their stuff together). This would also split the regional balance, with 3 in the West and 3 in the East, 5 different provinces + Ottawa.

Québec City has no chance in hell as long as they insist on doing it at the PEPS (this would seem like the perfect opportunity to work out a joint CFL stadium), Sherbrooke is a nice stadium but the population is too small, especially with the students heading back home during the summer. I'd say Laval is a wild card, though. The Québec fed is moving its offices there and if they could tie this in with a USL squad, it might seem promissing (plus, it'd be one of the rare stadiums from scratch). Laval might get a much-needed identity boost IF they were also to land a team. I'm just hoping the Impact doesn't build its stadium in Laval (negociating ploy which has come up).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

You also have to wonder about a city like Calgary who is willing to refurbish facilities to accomdate the event. Well, I think that the Storm could have used that kind of Support from the city. Or am I wrong? Perhaps a calgarian could shed some light on this.

I believe I read somewhere that McMahon Stadium will be refurbishing with Fieldturf soon

Encouraging news, for sure, but you can pretty much already pencil in Montreal (in conjuction with the Impact, at a refurbished CCR, perhaps) and Vancouver in as two of the four remaining host cities (along with Edmonton and Toronto).

The soccer history in Vancouver and Montreal is too rich to ignore, not to mention that Canada's two most-supported and well-run soccer clubs are in those cities. Add in the fact that those are the two largest Canadian cities not named Toronto, and they are a shoo-in.

I can see Ottawa and perhaps Victoria (or Calgary) getting the remaining two spots, as that would make and even 3 cities from the West and 3 from the East.

I hope they will pair the choice of the cities with existing USL teams, in order to help them and to have a useful stadium also after 2007

Even if I learned that Canada has a big tradition in building and destroying stadiums...

Fot Laval : as a Quebec logical and the "cult of personalities" in this Province (Laval is someone) the Laval University is in Quebec, not in Laval... Don't try to understand

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

What I don't understand is why no cities from the Maritimes applied. It would have been a legitimate bid, representing the geography of Canada. I'm also surprised to see 4 bids from Québec. it just shows that soccer is alive and well in this province.

UHMMMMMMM........there are no 10,000 seat stadiums with the proper surface in the Atlantic region. As a voice of one if governments have money for stadia.......we have bigger problems, roof and food kinda issues. Let private business be on the hook for stadia.....I'm sure providing roads and utilities for the facilities will be enough for public coffers. I'm just a roof and food kinda guy. [}:)]

There's just too many people working 2 or 3 jobs and sharing dwellings to make ends meet to throw that kind of dough around at luxury items that hardly get used.

EDIT: To harsh .......a public/private partnership thing may work. I hate public money being on the line for everything all the time. What's the CSA going to give us anyway a game every couple of years or so. Give the games to where there are existing clubs/teams that'll use a large stadium regularly.

I find it amusing that; the CSA's head offices are in Ottawa, the "National Training Centre" is in BC (Vancouver I think) and neither are mentioned as a shoe-in? I am guessing they will surely be chosen as venues for the tournament.

Meanwhile Toronto and Edmonton are already selected for the tournament.

But only time will tell what will happen.

City seeks under-20 world soccer games

By John Kernaghan

Additional Articles by this Columnist

The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton is hoping a McMaster-led bid will land a role in the 2007 under-20 world soccer championships Canada has taken on.

It's one of 11 cities that have submitted letters of intent to win the four host sites still to be selected for the 24-country tournament.

The Canadian Soccer Association has already announced that Edmonton and Toronto will play major roles in the World Youth Championship.

Steeltown has two hurdles to leap to win games at Mac's new stadium, notes David Adames, director of Tourism Hamilton.

First, the Ontario government must agree to help with funding for a second Ontario site, at least one not named London, another candidate.

Then Hamilton needs the nod of the CSA. As well as London, competition includes Calgary, Laval, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Vancouver, Victoria, and Winnipeg.

Sites must offer a stadium with a minimum capacity of 10,000 and a natural grass or FIFA-recommended artificial surface.

Bid cities have until April 20 to submit their full bid proposal, which includes everything from stadium to hotel details. The CSA will announce the winning four cities on May 4 this year. The championship is set for July 1-22, 2007.

Adames said the four cities selected will get five dates to cover four doubleheaders and one elimination game.

jkernaghan@thespec.com

905-526-3422

---------------------------

Look at all the cities that are going to be building some nice 10 000 seated stadiums. This tourny might do a lot for Canadian soccer. I can see A-League teams filling up these stadiums and then a possible Canadian League some time after.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I am surprised to hear the number of cities that are planning to go so far as build a facility in order to host the event.

The stadium proposed for London is getting built whether or not London is chosen as one of the host cities (I'm hoping it is) to be the home of the London team that is joining the W-League.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

The stadium proposed for London is getting built whether or not London is chosen as one of the host cities (I'm hoping it is) to be the home of the London team that is joining the W-League.

Building a stadium specificly for a W-league team is INSANE. Montreal last a year. Ottawa draws about 500 a game with probably one of the best run W-league teams. Hopefully the stadium in London won't be a 10,000 seater. Nor should London get a U-20 game when Toronto is a few hours away.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I believe I read somewhere that McMahon Stadium will be refurbishing with Fieldturf soon

The McMahon deal fell through a couple months ago. That's why the Storm folded. Screw Calgary. I would also not like to see any games in the 'peg until they renovate that cow pasture.

My votes would be for Vancouver, Montreal, and Ottawa for sure. And I'd think it a stupid move to not use these cities. Can't really pick the sixth. I heard good things about London or Hamilton. Laval, Sherbrooke, Q City, Vic... hey, why not?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Building a stadium specificly for a W-league team is INSANE. Montreal last a year. Ottawa draws about 500 a game with probably one of the best run W-league teams. Hopefully the stadium in London won't be a 10,000 seater. Nor should London get a U-20 game when Toronto is a few hours away.

I didn't say it was being built specifically for the W-League team, just that it is going to be the home of London's W-League team. It wouldn't surprise me to see Western's Soccer teams playing there.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

New soccer facility could attract Under-20 World Cup

Tue Jan 18 2005

By Chris Cariou

THE push for a new $10-million indoor/outdoor soccer facility in Winnipeg became more enticing yesterday when the Manitoba Soccer Association said it will bid to host some games for the 2007 FIFA Under-20 World Cup -- but only if the complex is built.

Hector Vergara, chief administration officer for the MSA, said Winnipeggers could see some of the best young players in the world among the 24 countries that will compete for the cup on Canadian soil in 2007, but his group needs to know in less than a month -- by mid-February -- or the March 15 bid deadline will be impossible to meet.

"If the indoor/outdoor facility is not approved, we're not bidding," Vergara said in an interview. "If nothing is going to happen between now and let's say the end of January or the middle of February, then this is going to have to come off the table because we wouldn't have enough time to bid."

The Winnipeg Soccer Federation, which represents the Winnipeg Youth Soccer Association and the city's men's and women's leagues -- more than 35,000 players -- has been negotiating with the city on the project.

Keith Ferbers, WSF chairman, said the group would like to have the facility approved in time for the MSA to make its bid. But he said he can't see his proposal even going before city council before February.

"I appreciate (the bid deadline)," he said. "I don't want to back the city into a corner on this. We are in discussions with them, they have established an ad-hoc committee, which we're meeting with again later this week to go over some issues relating to our business plan. He said once those issues are finalized, the hope is to present the proposal to the city's Executive Policy Committee, likely sometime in February.

Assuming the plan passes EPC, Ferbers said, it would probably have to go before all of city council for approval. That would leave less than two weeks until the MSA's deadline. Then there's the issue of funding and possible approval being required from the provincial or federal governments.

The lack of adequate playing facilities in Winnipeg surfaced most recently when a heavy New Year's Eve snowfall collapsed the roof on the Winnipeg Winter Club dome known as the Bubble, forcing the cancellation or rescheduling of scores of games involving thousands of kids and adults who play there.

Last week, the WSF's plan for a four-plex facility came to light. It would be built at the Waverley Complex, where soccer for the 1999 Pan Am Games was held and where World Cup qualifying matches were played a few years ago.

The facility, however, has been largely abandoned and is now unplayable.

Ferbers said the WSF has already talked directly with the province and with regional federal Liberal caucus members "who have given us some very positive signals -- nothing is written in stone or committed -- but once we get city approval we've certainly already started the ball rolling." Gerry Couture, chairman of the city's ad-hoc committee, could not be reached for comment.

Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium and the planned York University Stadium in Toronto have already been named as sites for the 2007 Under-20 World Cup, but the CSA also wants games in four other cities. Vergara said he expects bids from Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Hamilton, at least.

The CSA, after receiving final bids March 15, is to announce its four additional host cities April 8.

"It would be a great coup for the city," Vergara said, adding the MSA's plans should provide more cause for governments to fast-track the facility.

"If the facility cannot be in place, then unfortunately we're going to miss out on a great opportunity to have not only this competition but a tremendous legacy for the city where we can actually host international competitions here in the future."

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

New soccer facility could attract Under-20 World Cup

Tue Jan 18 2005

By Chris Cariou

THE push for a new $10-million indoor/outdoor soccer facility in Winnipeg became more enticing yesterday when the Manitoba Soccer Association said it will bid to host some games for the 2007 FIFA Under-20 World Cup -- but only if the complex is built.

Hector Vergara, chief administration officer for the MSA, said Winnipeggers could see some of the best young players in the world among the 24 countries that will compete for the cup on Canadian soil in 2007, but his group needs to know in less than a month -- by mid-February -- or the March 15 bid deadline will be impossible to meet.

"If the indoor/outdoor facility is not approved, we're not bidding," Vergara said in an interview. "If nothing is going to happen between now and let's say the end of January or the middle of February, then this is going to have to come off the table because we wouldn't have enough time to bid."

The Winnipeg Soccer Federation, which represents the Winnipeg Youth Soccer Association and the city's men's and women's leagues -- more than 35,000 players -- has been negotiating with the city on the project.

Keith Ferbers, WSF chairman, said the group would like to have the facility approved in time for the MSA to make its bid. But he said he can't see his proposal even going before city council before February.

"I appreciate (the bid deadline)," he said. "I don't want to back the city into a corner on this. We are in discussions with them, they have established an ad-hoc committee, which we're meeting with again later this week to go over some issues relating to our business plan. He said once those issues are finalized, the hope is to present the proposal to the city's Executive Policy Committee, likely sometime in February.

Assuming the plan passes EPC, Ferbers said, it would probably have to go before all of city council for approval. That would leave less than two weeks until the MSA's deadline. Then there's the issue of funding and possible approval being required from the provincial or federal governments.

The lack of adequate playing facilities in Winnipeg surfaced most recently when a heavy New Year's Eve snowfall collapsed the roof on the Winnipeg Winter Club dome known as the Bubble, forcing the cancellation or rescheduling of scores of games involving thousands of kids and adults who play there.

Last week, the WSF's plan for a four-plex facility came to light. It would be built at the Waverley Complex, where soccer for the 1999 Pan Am Games was held and where World Cup qualifying matches were played a few years ago.

The facility, however, has been largely abandoned and is now unplayable.

Ferbers said the WSF has already talked directly with the province and with regional federal Liberal caucus members "who have given us some very positive signals -- nothing is written in stone or committed -- but once we get city approval we've certainly already started the ball rolling." Gerry Couture, chairman of the city's ad-hoc committee, could not be reached for comment.

Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium and the planned York University Stadium in Toronto have already been named as sites for the 2007 Under-20 World Cup, but the CSA also wants games in four other cities. Vergara said he expects bids from Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Hamilton, at least.

The CSA, after receiving final bids March 15, is to announce its four additional host cities April 8.

"It would be a great coup for the city," Vergara said, adding the MSA's plans should provide more cause for governments to fast-track the facility.

"If the facility cannot be in place, then unfortunately we're going to miss out on a great opportunity to have not only this competition but a tremendous legacy for the city where we can actually host international competitions here in the future."

quote:Originally posted by jay2008

This is how it mosy likely will shape up.

Group A (Toronto/Hamilton)

Group B (Ottawa/Montreal)

Group c (Calgary/Edmonton)

Group D (Victoria/Vancouver)

There are six groups of four teams in the U20 WC not four groups.

What I cannot understand is how the CSA figures it can manage with just six venues given that the final matches of the group stage in Fifa tournaments have to be played at the same time. This is the result of the "W.Ger-Aut 1982" rule. if teh final group stage matches are played over three days, then you have four games played at time in nearby locations

Archived