11 cities bid for 2007 WYC

ray

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Beast.. give it up. Edmonton has proven many times over to be very soccer friendly. They showed up in droves for the u-19 girls, and despite slim chance of the u20 boys going on the same dream run to the final... I feel very sure there will be a huge crowd.

Besides the fact Edmonton is a very strong "event" city. If there's a short term event going on, people will show up for it.

If you want to see what Beast is really like, check his rep on BigSoccer under the handle "petersoccer".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

If you want to see what Beast is really like, check his rep on BigSoccer under the handle "petersoccer".

I haven't seen "petersoccer" in a while, but I've seen a new troll "CdnBhoy" spring up at around the same time as petersocer's apparent demise.

Looking bleak for Calgary:

The Mayor's Office sent me the following note to an earlier enquiry:

"...other cities, including Calgary, encouraged to put in bids to host some

of the games earlier in the tournament. Our recreation folks initiated

discussion with McMahon stadium but unfortunately, due to the FIFA

regulations regarding turf, it was decided that McMahon wouldn't work.

So, the recreation folks tried to find a suitable field where they could

accommodate the 10,000 fan requirement of the tournament. Again, no

luck. Unfortunately, at this moment, it doesn't look good for Calgary.

We simply don't have the right kind of venue. That being said, I

believe that the Calgary Minor Soccer Association is still working on

this initiative. You may want to contact them to see where they are at."

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Winnipeg's Mayor, Sam Katz, stated in todays Winnipeg Free Press that Winnipeg will not be prepared to bid by the deadline.

No U-20 World Cup for the Peg.

Not very happy about Mayor Katz ... no rapid transit system ..

delayed upgrade to the Soccer Complex ... now this.:(

(Hey Fury, do you need the U20 DVDs? Email me. Thanks.)

A supreme soccer bid: Ottawa and Frank Clair Stadium have all the criteria necessary to serve as the site of one of six pools for the 2007 FIFA world youth (under-20)championship.

Martin Cleary

The Ottawa Citizen

1,362 words

21 February 2005

Ottawa Citizen

Final

D3

English

Copyright © 2005 Ottawa Citizen

Ottawa is a frontrunner to be a co-host for one of the world's largest sports extravaganzas.

The Canadian Soccer Association will announce on May 4 the four satellite sites, complementing Toronto and Edmonton, to stage the 2007 FIFA world youth (under-20) championship, the second largest sporting festival for soccer's world governing body. Canada has qualified for the 2005 championship.

FIFA's premier competition is the men's World Cup, which is considered second in the world in importance and size to the Olympic Games.

The 2003 youth worlds in the United Arab Emirates had 494 million viewers worldwide across 99 markets. A total of 592,100 fans were in the stands, or an average of 11,387 per game.

Eleven Canadian cities have sent letters of intent to the CSA to be one of four co-hosts for the 2007 world under-20 championship, which was awarded to Canada last August. The list also includes Calgary, Hamilton, Laval, London, Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Vancouver/Burnaby, Victoria and Winnipeg.

The CSA estimates it will cost up to $30 million to stage the worlds in July 2007. If Ottawa becomes a co-site, the budget would be between $1.5 million and $2 million. Tickets, priced between $25 and $30, would be the main revenue source.

The four winning bid cities, plus Toronto and Edmonton, will each play host to one of six four-team round-robin pools.

The CSA also will award the round-of-16 and quarterfinal games to the six venues. The semifinals and two medal matches will be in Edmonton and/or Toronto.

Marc Thibault, the Ottawa bid co-ordinator and past president of the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association, is confident the city's bid will earn it a pool, round-of-16 and quarterfinal games.

Bids must be submitted by April 20. The CSA's executive committee and Kevin Albrecht, vice-president of the IMG agency, will review the bids on May 2-3.

"Our chances are fantastic. We have everything in place from a facilities point of view," Thibault said. "We have the hotels, the infrastructure, the volunteer base and everything needed to make it successful. It would be almost a crime if the nation's capital didn't get to be a site."

Frank Clair Stadium, which seats 28,826, is one of only two FIFA recommended artificial surfaces (FieldTurf) in Canada. The basic CSA criteria calls for a 10,000-seat stadium with natural grass or a FIFA-approved artificial surface.

Kevan Pipe, the CSA chief operation officer, has viewed Ottawa as a valuable site for international games for many years, since Frank Clair Stadium has sufficient seating, no track around the field and is centrally located with good parking.

"This is the huge advantage Ottawa has over the other sites," Pipe said. "Now, it's up to the local soccer community to take on the challenge."

As for training venues, Ottawa could use the University of Ottawa artificial-turf pitch. Thibault added there are plans by private citizens to open as many as three other artificial turf soccer fields by 2007.

Ottawa also has put checkmarks besides the other major criteria -- hotel rooms and volunteers -- and is developing an organizing committee and finanacial plan.

The financial plan will include a legacy fund to stage an annual minor soccer tournament based on the highly-successful Bell Capital Cup hockey tournament. The soccer tournament would focus on under-nine, under-10 and under-11 teams. A pilot tournament is planned for 2006.

The Ottawa bid, supported by the EODSA, the City of Ottawa, the Ottawa Renegades, Tourism Ottawa and the Outaouais Regional Soccer Association, is backed by a strong history of staging international tournaments and matches.

That includes exhibitions since 1995 matching the Canadian women's team against China, Denmark, England, Germany and Brazil, and a men's match between Morocco and Canada.

The W-League's women's Final Four championship was held in Ottawa in 2004. Canadian Interuniversity Sport has staged two men's and two women's national championships in Ottawa.

During the 2001 Francophone Games, the men's soccer tournament was held at Frank Clair Stadium. The city also has staged the Grey Cup and world figure skating championships.

"Ottawa has shown it's ability to play host to major events over and over," Thibault said. "It is a true international city."

Well, given the comments from the mayor's offices in Calgary and Winnipeg, it's starting to realisticallly look like:

Toronto

Edmonton

Ottawa

Montreal (an expanded CCR, or Molson with the FT)

Vancouver (with slight expansion, temporary or otherwise, at Swanguard)

and one of

Sherbrooke (it already has the seating)

Victoria (if it can get off its duff)

London (good enthusiasm for a stadium project for the various teams

-but can something be put in place solid enough for the award)

Hamilton (most likely if spot, but haven't heard any stadium plans)

If what Cleary said about one venue hosting one Group is true, this will mean three group doubleheaders for each site, with the one of the third matches being group cross-overs for simultaneous end matches for each Group.

One of the interesting decisions will be whether Canada plays their Group matches in Toronto or in Edmonton (to try to fill Commonwealth). It might make more sense to keep them in Toronto for the opening match and the media buzz.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, given the comments from the mayor's offices in Calgary and Winnipeg, it's starting to realisticallly look like:

Toronto

Edmonton

Ottawa

and one of

I think you'll see Victoria get the other group because they can still put up the seats used during the Commonwealth Games in 94 at UVIC. It would also make sense to have Vancouver-Victoria-Edmonton for travel purposes. Victoria has always had good support for national team/soccer tournaments.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I think you'll see Victoria get the other group because they can still put up the seats used during the Commonwealth Games in 94 at UVIC. It would also make sense to have Vancouver-Victoria-Edmonton for travel purposes. Victoria has always had good support for national team/soccer tournaments.

As far as I know those seats are long gone. I believe they were sold for a dollar (no joke) as it was cheaper to just get rid of them than try to maintain/store them.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I guess you missed my post early in this thread. :) As Paddy says, the seats from "94 are LONG gone BUT I have an inside source who says the bid committee has found a source for temporary seating at what they think would be a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Toronto

Edmonton

Ottawa

and one of

If what Cleary said about one venue hosting one Group is true, this will mean three group doubleheaders for each site, with the one of the third matches being group cross-overs for simultaneous end matches for each Group.

One of the interesting decisions will be whether Canada plays their Group matches in Toronto or in Edmonton (to try to fill Commonwealth). It might make more sense to keep them in Toronto for the opening match and the media buzz.

copycat!!!

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Screw Calgary. I would also not like to see any games in the 'peg until they renovate that cow pasture.

My votes would be for Vancouver, Montreal, and Ottawa for sure. And I'd think it a stupid move to not use these cities.

Archived