Preliminary Roster for U-20 Q Tournament Released

beachesl

PRELIMINARY ROSTERS

CANADA

GK: Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth FC/ENG), Joshua Wagenaar (Hartwick College/USA);

DF: David Edgar (Newcastle United FC/ENG), Andrew Hainault (Montreal Impact), Simon Kassaye (no club), Graham Ramalho (FC Groningen/NED);

MD: Marcel De Jong (Helmond Sport/NED), David Guzman (University of Louisville/USA), Ryan Gyaki (Sheffield United FC/ENG), Nikolas Lederwood (1860 Munich/GER), Jaime Peters (no club), Tyler Rosenlund (University of California-Santa Barbara), Carlo Schiavoni (no club), Vince Stewart (Simon Fraser University/USA);

AT: Mike D’Agostino (University of Kentucky/USA), Dylan Hughes (FC Kaiserslautern/GER), Will Johnson (Chicago Sockers/USA), Franco Lalli (US Lucera Calcio/ITA), Andrea Lombardo (Atalanta BC/ITA), Riley O’Neill (University of Kentucky/USA), Jeremy Shepherd (no club), Julian Paolo Uccello (Savona Calcio/ITA), Cam Wilson (Bristol City FC/ENG).

TD: Dale MITCHELL

..along with the rosters of the other 3 clubs:

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2930

This list of 23 players is a non-binding list that had to have been submitted to CONCACAF by December 26. Additions may be made, and may be made given the intervening events. The final list of 18 has to be submitted on arrival in Honduras, probably around the 23rd.

Tournament Regulations read:

"Rosters for Final Qualifying Tournaments

1. Provisional List of Players

Participating National Associations must provide their “List of

Players”, on the official form, to the office of the CONCACAF

General Secretariat, at least thirty (30) days before their first

match. The list is not binding and must contain the names of at

least 18 players. The list will be used for event promotion and

data management.

2. Final Roster

Participating National Associations must provide their Final Roster

of 18 players, on the official form, to the Venue Coordinator upon

arrival in the venue.

3. Replacement of Injured or Ill Players

a) Players included on the Final Roster who suffer serious

injuries or become ill so that they cannot play, as certified

by the team’s Head of Delegation, may be replaced up to

24 hours prior to the team’s first match. In those cases,

the National Association concerned will be authorized to

add players not already included on the Final Roster and

will immediately inform the General Coordinator in writing.

The General Coordinator must be provided with all required

information (if not previously provided) and passports upon

the players’ arrivals.

B) No changes will be permitted within 24 hours of opening

matches or thereafter.

4. Confirmation of Eligibility

a) Inspection Meeting – The General Coordinator, his designee

or the match commissioner will check the passport details

with each player the day before their opening match.

B) Uniform Numbers – The numbers on the back of the shirts

shall correspond to the numbers indicated on the Final

Roster.

D. Any team found guilty of fielding an ineligible player shall forfeit the match. Victory and the resultant three points will be awarded to the opposing team as well as the score of 3-0, or more if the opposing team has already achieved a margin of difference in excess of 3-0."

- http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/youth_20_e.pdf

(at page 15)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so have we pretty much sewn up uccello for the future now? i mean, has he committed himself to canada and can we expect him to turn into a radzinski-type in that he has a long top flight career up front?

how is it that people without clubs can still be making these teams? i am referring to kassaye considering peters just signed.

so have we pretty much sewn up uccello for the future now? i mean, has he committed himself to canada and can we expect him to turn into a radzinski-type in that he has a long top flight career up front?

how is it that people without clubs can still be making these teams? i am referring to kassaye considering peters just signed.

Yeah , I saw Kassaye play a lot for the Edmonton Whatevers last summer. He was a steady defender, quick on the ball, but sometimes caught out of position like most of the Edmonton defence a lot of the time. I really liked him when he was moved up to left wing (often at the end of matches), he was speedy and often threatening, though most of the action went to centre attack (too much) or Fraser on the right wing. It must have been frustrating trying to make an impression on attack on wing, as Ongaro would have them wait too far back before allowing them to move forward. Given his young age, I expect that he would be snapped up by another USL team, especially given that many of them will be called up to MLS teams for their reserve teams being developed. He may be snapped in as a "development player" under the wide nets of MLS team protection too.

What immediately stood out from this squad is that there is no A-league talent ( aside from Kassaye who is now unattached). Unlike the past when we had a significant representation of domestic players in a-league clubs. I thought that the players from the A-league were a bit of the wild card in determining how we did. When they looked good ( ie.: 2003), we rose to unprecedented heights. When they looked overmatched ( ie.: 2001), the team ended up looking over matched.

It's going to be interesting to see which of those nine forwards don't make the grade. This is a team that appears to be deep in attacking talent in both midfield and forward. Dale Mitchell also catches me as a coach who will allow this team to play an attacking style and move forward.

Defence looks a little thin, although he can add to that list.

Really pumped for Gyaki and Ledgerwood and I hope they make the final cut.

Seems obvious that Begovic and Wagenaar have really seperated themselves from any other keepers at this age level. Both seem to be super prospects.

I believe that David Egar is particpating with his team Newcastle in the 57° TORNEO MONDIALE DI CALCIO "COPPA CARNEVALE" DATA DI SVOLGIMENTO: 24 GENNAIO - 7 FEBBRAIO 2005. I huge tournament in Italy the biggest there is and Newcastle is on the list of teams to particpate.

As I mentioned before in a previous post I think this Canada will be lacking defenders from the onset and that is not good. With Just Andrew Hainault , Simon Kassaye , Graham Ramalho, does not leave much for mistakes and injuries of these experienced players, they may have to drop some midfielders like ledgerwood whom can play that position. Either way you can be rest assured if any positions are going to be added it will be here in the defence. Peetoom could be one of them as he shows up as a defender on your list.

Boy lots of Talent in the mids & forwards. However My Starters would be De Jong ,Schiavoni, Gyaki, Rosenlund, Uccello, Huges if he comes if not Lombardo or Johnson will fill the shoes easily, but hughes is a key player for Julian with some seniority. The younger ones also are good but differnt styles of play and character. The Defence Andrew Hainault , Simon Kassaye , Graham Ramalho, and ledgerwood.

SO it would like this on Paper

(peetoom)86

Ledgerwood Andrew Hainault Simon Kassaye Graham Ramalho

85 86 85 86

(Ledgerwood)

Rosenlund Schiavoni Gyaki De Jong

86 85 85 86

Huges Uccello

85 86

WOW not to bad they say! Lots of talent here with lots of Power too!

Any suggestion from anyone!

I would guess Ledgerwood will start as a back and Gyaki will likely start on the bench as a midfielder. They can both play at the back so our lack of depth on D may not be as bad as it looks. Begovic really is a talent. He looked as a good as any keeper in the AMSL when he was 15. Portsmouth snapped him after only a few days on trial as he was due to head to Tottenham afterwards.

A shame my boy Patrick Kelly didn't crack the last 23 but not a shock given the depth we now seem to possess. He was the only Canadian university guy at his last camp and I think he may make a push for an NCAA gig next year now. As for taking unattached players, I don't see it as a massive deal, especially at this age. Alot of our players seem to have been unattached at some juncture although there is a difference between a guy like Peters who was trialling all over the place and Kassaye and Shepherd who seem to see their only action with the U-20s. Remember when DeRosario seemed to be on trial in Hungary one week and Israel the next?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What immediately stood out from this squad is that there is no A-league talent ( aside from Kassaye who is now unattached). Unlike the past when we had a significant representation of domestic players in a-league clubs. I thought that the players from the A-league were a bit of the wild card in determining how we did. When they looked good ( ie.: 2003), we rose to unprecedented heights. When they looked overmatched ( ie.: 2001), the team ended up looking over matched.

Hainault is in and is with the Impact.

quote:Originally posted by snake

is Rob Friend ever gonna get a callup?

He appears to be in eligable according to your list on CANADA web site.

Ditty Quote "would guess Ledgerwood will start as a back and Gyaki will likely start on the bench as a midfielder. They can both play at the back so our lack of depth on D may not be as bad as it looks. Begovic really is a talent. He looked as a good as any keeper in the AMSL when he was 15. Portsmouth snapped him after only a few days on trial as he was due to head to Tottenham afterwards'

your goalie is only as good as your defence is stable and a strong. I disagree Gyaki will start in the mid as Ramalho is a better defender and has more experience there so i would be surprised to see him sit. But one thing is for sure one gets injured or suspended in the back it may cause problems. I would rather have them there with 5 or 6 defenders without Ledgerwood or Gyaki moving in the Back. These are true midfielders I think. But then what do I know.

I am happy that Dylan Hughes is called and will be cap tied if he is in the final lineup. Particularly after he played a friendly for Wales. He did write someone a mail here that he would play for Canada and it looks like he is keeping his word. He just transferred to the German third division which is a pretty good level to be playing at 19 years old.

It sounds to me that Uccello was less impressive than Lombardo and if Dale was to start him, he would have played him for more than a half in two games. What happened to that Will kid being the second coming of Ronaldo? wouldn't he start before Uccello?

quote:Originally posted by Angelo

It sounds to me that Uccello was less impressive than Lombardo and if Dale was to start him, he would have played him for more than a half in two games. What happened to that Will kid being the second coming of Ronaldo? wouldn't he start before Uccello?

Angelo will depends how you look at it if the mister wanted to conserve his energy for his flight back to Savona then he did the right thing by not playing him as Julian had a game on the sunday of his return. On the other hand he may have just made his mind up on Uccello the in the 45 minutes he saw him and wanted to see what Lombardo could do in a whole game as his committments where not as demanding as Uccellos. Both Lombardo and Will are talented 87 players good players and the will have there chance if they want it one day im sure, but not the striking force of true bomber and stats Julian is showing here in Italy, playing in a higher division of futbol then both of them and respectively he should being a 86. Both Lombardo and Will still one year yonger does ultimatley make a deference to me anyhow as i like the more ripe players in a tournament like this one. Dont be surprised if Will or Lombardo are not ask to come as they have ther hands full right know in the attacking positions and mid Like huges, uccello, Ledgerwood, de Jong, Roselund, Gyaki, Schiavoni who all have 1 year or two over them, they still have another year to go yet to determin the true talent they have when they move from the youth team system to a full squad of a first team. Then you can compare patate with patate! but not today there is no comparison of either of the two.

Thats why I said that Uccello will go well with Hughes as he is older an 85 and thats a good thing for Julian beign an 86 as experience goes a long way here in italy!

I hope that hughes is there and his committments to Germany wont stop him from coming as the two of them will compilment each other in the ability to play the game and to intertain the spectators that watch them play futbol .....

An impressive list of players. Defence a bit of a question as some have pointed out. Nice to see that Cam Wilson has taken the leap towards starting a professional career with Bristol City. The depth in midfield and forward is impressive, hopefully Mitchell can get the players who may have to play out of position - midfielders as backs, an offensive midfielder as a holding midfielder - to buy into his program. This depth will hopefully bring out the hunger and competitiveness in the players to compete for starting spots.

Starting 11 I'd like to see (it'd be a 4-3-3, to take advantage of the forward depth):

gk: Begovic

rb: Kassaye

cb: Edgar

cb: Ramalho

lb: Ledgerwood

rm: Peters

cm: Uccello

lm: De Jong

rf: Hughes

cf: Lombardo

lf: Johnson

As an aside, are we just paranoid, or is there really that much of a concern on cap-tieing players such as Hughes, Johnson, and Uccello? Sure it's nice to have talented players, but i'd rather give a spot to a player who sincerely wants to play for country rather then one who's for playing just for the experience. Why do some players treat national representation like they are a high school honours student shopping around for the best university admissions package?

Guest Jeffery S.

I wonder what we are coming to when I come onto a thread late and am the only one to notice that they put SFU in the USA. Or did I miss something here?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I wonder what we are coming to when I come onto a thread late and am the only one to notice that they put SFU in the USA. Or did I miss something here?

Maybe SFU has US aspirations. Those over the top US tuitions could sure garner alot of money for SFU. With that kind of coin think of the state of the art Gymnasium you could build! Designed by S. Calatrava no less! Thrilling!

I dont know if anybody pointed this out but here is a little bit of Julian de Guzman talk, about his little brother.

Notes: De Guzman's younger brother, Jonathan, is captain of Feyenoord's under-19 side in the Netherlands and has also played for the reserves there. Julian says his 17-year-old brother, a midfielder, is interested in playing for Canada, but perhaps not until he solidifies his club future. "For me and Jonathan, it's always been a dream to pay with each other. We joked about it, we talk about it. Even to play against each other would be a dream. It's just right now he really wants to focus on his football in Holland. And if a national team callup ever does come up, I could see him accepting it if it does come from the A team. Right now he wants to just find his spot with the first team in Feyenoord."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=s011847A

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Well, Simon Fraser University's soocer teams do play in an American NAIA league. It would be equivalent to describing clubs like "Monaco/FRA", "Cardiff/ENG" or "Andorra/ESP". Some may even take exception to "Barcelonna/ESP".

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

interesting that Ramallo and Wilson were both absent from any of the friendlies played in December or January but are on this roster. Perhaps it was related to club commitments.

What I find interesting the list of players offically has not come out from the Canada Web site. Is it normal that the players are in Florida right now but there has not been any word Officially from who exactly are there. It may very well be that it a short list of players as some could not make it or not be able to be released by there clubs due to commitments. Hughes with his new club in Germany Both Newcastle and Atalanta are in the Largest and Finest Tournament In Italy the 57° TORNEO MONDIALE DI CALCIO "COPPA CARNEVALE" DATA DI SVOLGIMENTO: 24 GENNAIO - 7 FEBBRAIO 2005, where both Edgar and Lombardo teams are in and registered in a world wide competation.

http://www.torneoviareggio.it/risultati.html

I know that is was even tough for Julian Uccello to go down as well as the club position here is extremly in a critical situation and important games coming up, with injuries and relegation breathing down their backs as report in yesterday paper in Savona I am sure their not happy either.

Its a tough time to get players to attend speically in europe right now with all of these things. Bad choice of dates as far I am concerned The US was smart they held it Mid january as they have many of their young stars playing and 3 or 4 US teams going to that tournament in Italy. Like Adu and others like him on loan or something to these teams. We will see I guess.

A list of all the players will be coming out soon here and availble to the press in Italy early next week, I will keep you informed on the Canadians attending if any!

Archived