Preliminary Roster for U-20 Q Tournament Released

beachesl

For the Australia match, Canada started off playing a 3-4-3 that look as follows:

Karim

Harmse - Arrango - Marshall

Bruno - Hutchison - Chin - Simpson

Matondo - Belotte - Hume

Within about 15 minutes with Australia scoring and killing us in midfield Belotte was taken off (never to be seen again at any level including club) and replaced with Ditullio and the formation was something like the following 3-5-2:

Karim

Harmse - Arrango - Marshall

Ditullio

Bruno - Hutchison - Chin - Simpson

Matondo - Hume

with Ditullio playing in front of the defense.

I think the next match against the Czechs Hutchinson was moved back to central defense and the they played a 4-4-2 from then on. It was interesting as up to that point in time including in the qualifiers and friendlies they always played 3-5-2 which may have been hang over from the Holger days as that was his preferred formation.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Hughes did not play today in Regensburg's 2-0 friendly victory over Austrian first tier club Wuestenrot Salzburg. Being a friendly there were a lot of substitutes so maybe the reason Hughes did not play was because he has left for the U-20 camp (only speculation on my part).

Yes Grizzly exactly Hughes did not play, only due to a cold according to a press release he is expected to see some action on the 23rd Sunday game. If they were conserving him they would have let him go already so i dont think so! Why have him there! Now It remains if he will be shipped out on the 24th to fly directly into Honduras still would be in time for the 26th game with some 24 hour rest of course. But I think it is un likely at this time as time nears. It is a shame that he will be not in this round of qualifying. But there is still hope the list of 18 does not have to be in till the midnight the 24th who knows he just might make it in time.

"they always played 3-5-2 which may have been hang over from the Holger days"

That 3-4-3 worked well in qualifying when the Americans were beaten, but, as in 2001, three at the back just wasn't good enough in the finals.(still haven't blocked out the memory of the three goals against in thirty minutes debacle against Irag in 2001)

I remember Hume interviewed on fifa.com before the Spain match talking about a "typically Canadian style of play, hard to break down and hard to beat." Sounds good to me! Mitchell said later that the real difference came when Hutch moved back to anchor the defence in a back four.

Who's the anchor on this team? Who's the game breaker? Will we even get to see them play? What is Angelo's dollar trick?

Questions, Questions...

Canso

The infamous dollar trick

you walk into a bar make conversation with a lady ( hopefully well -endowed) tell her your some sort of magician that can make her breasts move without touching them.

Then put a dollar on the bar and say look I'll bet you- my money is on the table-

she'll usually respond - without touching them-

you respond yes without touching them-

she responds OK -

Then you proceed to cop a feel and shake them all about and say "Keep your dollar".

quote:Originally posted by canso

"they always played 3-5-2 which may have been hang over from the Holger days"

That 3-4-3 worked well in qualifying when the Americans were beaten, but, as in 2001, three at the back just wasn't good enough in the finals.(still haven't blocked out the memory of the three goals against in thirty minutes debacle against Irag in 2001)

I remember Hume interviewed on fifa.com before the Spain match talking about a "typically Canadian style of play, hard to break down and hard to beat." Sounds good to me! Mitchell said later that the real difference came when Hutch moved back to anchor the defence in a back four.

Who's the anchor on this team? Who's the game breaker? Will we even get to see them play? What is Angelo's dollar trick?

Questions, Questions...

Canso why does Canada make things so diffucult for themselves. The better format and the more secure and stable defence a 4 - 4 -2 would work well, they have the players to use it Im am afraid that if they decide to go with any format other then a 4 - 4 - 2 it would not be on a positive note. ledgerwood/ hainault/kassaye/ramalho the mids rosenlund schiaoni/ gyaki/ dejong strikers Lombardo either johnson with Uccello.

It make sence! These are not senior mens teams i think it is to much to ask for 3-5-2 out of these young players and very demanding system and it will not obtain results favourable.

Other then a 4 - 3 - 3 which may work if Hughes is there with lombardo and uccello in the middle. and three good midfielder like Gyaki, rosenlund schiavoni and the backs ledgerwood hainault kassaye and Ramalho just might cut it but still only switching to that if you need goals and if the other team is know to have a weak attack.

comments "Mister" Canso

I concur 100% Mister Alberto! I have always suspected that a three back system is not compatible with the Canadian style, as much as I admire the style of play of Mister Bielsa's Argentina. Canada should continue to play a simple, direct, compact system. It may not be pretty, but when you're team is winning it's a beautiful thing, no matter what the purists say!

Having said that, the system has to make best use of the strengths of your players and be felxible enough to adapt to the strengths of the competition within the course of the game. We've seen Mister Dale Mitchell do that to good effect previously. For my money, he's the best coach we've got in the system. (of course, compared to Frank there's not much competition)

Given the roster and opposition, I think we'll see the Mister select a 4-5-1 with pressing wingers and a lone striker, switching to a 4-3-3 when a goal is needed. Not likely to see three at the back unless things get desparate!

That's my thoughts, but remember, I'm nuts!

quote:Originally posted by canso

Given the roster and opposition, I think we'll see the Mister select a 4-5-1 with pressing wingers and a lone striker, switching to a 4-3-3 when a goal is needed. Not likely to see three at the back unless things get desparate!

Is that a new found sobriety you wear canso? A sobriety that allows you to lucidly claim your steady prescription of inebriated reason has yet to run out?

No, i don't think you're nuts, mainly because to play three at the back you need some seasoned familiarity between your backs and midfield, something that won't happen overnight, let alone over a week or two worth of nights. To throw a patchwork team together and expect Mister Mitchell to have them dextrously playing and improvising - like Bill Evans on the best of non-prescription pharmaceutical trips - to allow for a back 3 is nuts.

4-4-2 for stability, 4-5-1 if a player reveals himself to be a scoring animal - AJ Auxerre used this formation towards the latter years of Cisse's tenure - and 4-3-3 if the talent reveals itself to have 2-3 very good two-way midfielders.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by canso

------------------------------------------------------------

Ah No nuts your are not but I must say I tend to disagree you and with the Mister choice of a 4 - 5 - 1. and agree with juaninho

the simple more stable position is more likely that will provail for a team like the under 20 currently on hand.

I am afraid to many 87 and even for some 86 that have not had much time togehter is and will be a waste of time even trying, I know for a fact uccello and huges are not that kind of player in this role and by doing something like that will take away the potential output in scoring touch. Remember you got to put the futbol in the net first and based on the last months games and also for that matter years they have not been able to succeed with more then 2 goals if any the most of times.

When you do not have the more mature player like Hughes 85, you cannot depend on Uccello 86 & Lombardo and johnson as 87. To do that!

That does not leave very much in the attacking role as Julian an 86 by himself as a forward is not that simple when he trains endlessly on a 2 striker role he is used to a 4 -4 - 2. SO conculsion without Hughes, as the more older one to lead, I can't see a lone striker as positive as I would in a 4 - 4 - 2 with Lomabardo or Johnson in place of Hughes!

Soccercentral did a feature on the U20 Camp in Bradenton with snipet interviews with Mitchell, Ledgerwood (looks young, or maybe I'm just old), Hainault (McKenna lookalike), Peters and Johnson.

Nothing earth-shattering said, "it'll be tough but we can do it" type of quotes.

Sadly, no TV coverage announcements out of Sportsnet.

So I can now confirm Andrea Lombardo will not be attending the Under 20 National team in Honduras. Got back from his game with Parma yesterday and Lombardo did not see much action. He went in in the last minute of the game as a sub. Atalanta had sufficent goals by Lorenzi at 18' and Morosini Piermario 8'. to beat parma 2 -1 and is very pleased with teams play getting ready for Torneo di Viareggio, So this now leaves the National team with just, Will Johnston and Cam Wilson, Uccello. Now that Lombardo decided to attend the Viareggio I hope there is still a chance for Hughes!

Alberto, did Lombardo actually make that decision or did he not make the team this time around?

He is eligible for the next Youth WC as well.

I do not think, at this point, we can just assume these players just decided they were not going to play. We do, after all, have a lot of depth up front.

Maybe if the CSA actually released the roster with decisioning rationale, we would not have to make assumptions ....................

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Alberto, did Lombardo actually make that decision or did he not make the team this time around?

He is eligible for the next Youth WC as well.

I do not think, at this point, we can just assume these players just decided they were not going to play. We do, after all, have a lot of depth up front.

Maybe if the CSA actually released the roster with decisioning rationale, we would not have to make assumptions ....................

Well am confused also, why was here and not there, he was the man of the match as reported in this forum in the second game which they won 1 - 0 in Panama. He left and had has not returned gives me wonders that he decided to play in this tournament and not Honduras which is runing the same time. I dont blame him I guess a tough call, after all an important tournament for youths here as well. Also It appears that Edgar is not going to be attending either as newcastle has there under 18 team regiestered as well.

No i am not assuming anything as far I am concern he made the team back in Dec as he should have, he was invited why not invite him again. SO what other choice are there left to go or not to go! I guess that is the question. He has that right I would think of making the choice. And Yes he does qualify for the next round for the U20 as does all other 87.

As far depth it seems more and more this team is on a short list to me of attackers too not just defence.

Huges, Lalli, Edgar, Lombardo, and problably others as well, it does not look good at all in the Attacking positions at all as well as the defence to!

You can not rely on one experienced striker such as Uccello 86 who has the ablity to score but needs an oldere and more experience partners such as Huges 85 (the senior) and lombardo the younger in a 4 - 4 - 2. if either do not work out or have a good game. Uccello on his own may find it difficult to adjust if the mister decides to go with a 1 striker role and it may not be as natural as it would if there was another striker next to him.

as Conso mentioned in this post using a 4 -5 -1

thought I would add Dylan Hughes was on the bench in an exbition game against FC Kötzting yesterday the 23rd which his team won 7 - 0. He did not play in this game but was dressed.

Archived