Preliminary Roster for U-20 Q Tournament Released

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

What I find interesting the list of players offically has not come out from the Canada Web site. Is it normal that the players are in Florida right now but there has not been any word Officially from who exactly are there. It may very well be that it a short list of players as some could not make it or not be able to be released by there clubs due to commitments...

Unfortunately, it is very normal that lists of current camp members are not listed, and that matches are not reported, on the CSA site, as we are dependent on other sites and info to find out what is happening with our national teams. There, however, seems to be a higher amount of turmoil in the CSA than usual for the last two months (email addresses of certain staff non-operatonal, contrary stories, etc).

This 23 man roster was an arbitrary one thrown together for form almost a month ago to comply with the tournament regulations, so is not accurate as to the current state of the team.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that is was even tough for Julian Uccello to go down as well as the club position here is extremly in a critical situation and important games coming up, with injuries and relegation breathing down their backs as report in yesterday paper in Savona I am sure their not happy either.

Its a tough time to get players to attend speically in europe right now with all of these things. Bad choice of dates as far I am concerned The US was smart they held it Mid january as they have many of their young stars playing and 3 or 4 US teams going to that tournament in Italy. Like Adu and others like him on loan or something to these teams. We will see I guess.

...just another good example of the CSA not going to bat for our country in the offices of FIFA and CONCACAF, or elsewhere. Our opponents in the Group do not have similiar constraints, because so few of their players are involved in Europe.

Beaches --- I see thats fine I guess but for here unusal if I may say! I found this on the web http://www.savonaclub.it/main.php

just minutes ago Julian is suspended for the next game with his Club, recieving his fourth of the year smart on his part taking it now goes back to zero a fresh start when he returns on the 31st.

..just as long as he doesn't brag about it like Beckham.:D

...and let's hope it was a manly foul!

Good looking pool of talent. As for Alberto's comments regarding age, I think the "if you're good enough, you're old enough" approach works well for this group. Begovic has been impressive in goal, and Lombardo, Johnson and Peeters can add some spark to the attack. Those guys, plus Edgar and Jono DeGuz (seems more likely now, hope springs eternal!) make an impressive lineup for 2007. We need the younger DeGuz now though to complete the lineup, otherwise he could be watching the Hondurans and Mexicans in 2005, which is not going to be good for his sibling rivalry.

------Begovic----

---Ramalho--Hainault-

Stewart--Gyaki----Kassaye

--Ledgerwood---DeJong------

----Rosenlund------

------Uccello--Hughes

Subs:

Waagenaar

Edgar

Schiavoni

Peeters

Lombardo

Johnson

Lalli

Looks tough to beat on paper, dare I ask how they might look on my TV screen? Any word from Sportsnet?

No word from Sportsnet, and nothing on next week's schedule. It would be nice if there would be an announcement on Soccercentral tomorrow or Saturday. They at least have a contact with the Honduran broadcaster from October to try to work out a deal. I would not count on it, the Raptors are on during the first match with Mexico on the 26th.

Alberto

I have seen both Lombardo and Uccello play and Lombardo has more potential.

Uccello is an oportunistic striker with an uncanny ability to score, his movement off the ball is very weak and nedds to learn how to play with his back to goal. Lombardo has everything Uccello doesn't but isn't as opportunistic. I wish both well but I don't think your being fair to Lombardo and really think that you clouding everybody with these blown up reports about Uccello. The mister Dale Mitchell is smarter than just playing a player after watching him for 45 min. Mitchell is looking out for the best of the team not to make sure Uccello is rested for his next game. By the way canso if you think Peters is not in the line-up your nuts.

quote:Originally posted by Angelo

Alberto

I have seen both Lombardo and Uccello play and Lombardo has more potential.

Uccello is an oportunistic striker with an uncanny ability to score, his movement off the ball is very weak and nedds to learn how to play with his back to goal. Lombardo has everything Uccello doesn't but isn't as opportunistic. I wish both well but I don't think your being fair to Lombardo and really think that you clouding everybody with these blown up reports about Uccello. The mister Dale Mitchell is smarter than just playing a player after watching him for 45 min. Mitchell is looking out for the best of the team not to make sure Uccello is rested for his next game. By the way canso if you think Peters is not in the line-up your nuts.

Angelo i have seen many of Uccello and some of Lombardo games here too which he has not even played in and at times shipped down to get some time with the younger Berretti Squad in fact for 3 games this season. Which is normal when players do see much playing time in the Primavera. And he has done well. But over all the class of player and style of player is not important which you describe as a strikers is long gone and maybe the Canadian way of playing, here it different the defenders will eat you up if you play that kind of stand still style as coaches do not want to see that here, movement and power and awareness is critical and if you do not know where to be before the ball is even kick or passed to you will never score or reconized.

I guess the best way that i can put to you is like a game of chess as it was put to me many years ago.

The move moves you are ahead in your mind then of your oppenent the more likely you will the game. NOW angleo standing still does not make better strikers. Just imagin that everyone on the team plays like a game of chess i assure you that way you will will most of your games then you lose.

I dont cloud no one and only express my opinions as I see it not waht they may or may not represent. Lombardo is truly a talent young and still has to break the ice..... Uccello is older and should be respected for what he has occomplished and thats is scoring goals and making a ddifence on any team he plays for! And you will see it to be if all of your players play chess!

hope you are not serious but he is the american eccentric who was world chess champion in the 70s i think. He beat a russian in Iceland I believe to take the crown during the height of the cold war. Believe he never defended the crown and disappeared aftewards but heard a rumour a few years ago that a grandmaster believed they were playing him on the internet as they recogised his tactics. Even cloudier memory that he was making a comeback but as I am on the other side of the Atlantic we don't get so much NA novelty news so I maybe wrong.

"Nuts" I may be Angelo, but I think the Mister as you call him has shown in previous selections he likes his teams to line up in a compact four-four-two formation with wide midfielders that can defend as well as attack. Ledgerwood fits that description better than Peeters.

We'll definitely see lots of JP but I can't see him starting against Mexico.

But, call me crazy!

Mister was to quote Alberto. Actually Dale played a 4-5-1 primarily man-man in the middle and zone responsibility out wide in the last U-20 WC, in which Jaime would fit perfectly in that he covers a lot of space and can be a great option for the counter.

"can some in this forum tell me who is booby fisher"

Well Alberto, the "booby fisher" is a rarely used technique for copping a feel that involves "accidentally" dropping something down a girl's top and then reaching in and "fishing" around for it.

I'm no expert but I've seen it tried. Here's a tip though, best not to use lit cigarettes as bait; they tend to make the subject a little jumpy.

Yes the mister is respect name used here one who is higher then a player on a club. They are all refered to as a mister when talking of him or to him.

Angelo great choice and I like that as Milan plays very much the same it would requires a great deal of explaining and preparation to understand what each and eveyone roles are in this system i would say it the most difficult too at this young age.

In this situation maybe a 4 3 1 2 might be the right one but I always like the 4 - 4 -2 myself and mostlikely with the players he has there based on the europe players i would be more natural for them to fit in well. Both in the attacking third and the defending third of the field.

The Mister had this line up with the last group:

------Karimi----

---Hutch---Arango--

Asante---------Marshall

----DiTulio--Chin----

Harmse---------Simpson

---Matondo--Hume-----

Which looks like 4-4-2 unless I'm nuts!

Different set of players maybe we'll see him experiment with Uccello as a lone striker and Peeters and Lombardo feeding him with crosses.

He may also start with Rosenlund as the creative outlet, but I'm predicting Uccello and Hughes start with a more combative midfield.

I've only caught glimpses of Peeters, but he doesn't seem like a guy who does a lot of tracking back.

quote:Originally posted by canso

"can some in this forum tell me who is booby fisher"

Well Alberto, the "booby fisher" is a rarely used technique for copping a feel that involves "accidentally" dropping something down a girl's top and then reaching in and "fishing" around for it.

I'm no expert but I've seen it tried. Here's a tip though, best not to use lit cigarettes as bait; they tend to make the subject a little jumpy.

canso can i use cigars as bait! :D that was good really good i laughed but i see you know your fishing technic or shall i call you Mister! :)

thats what i see a 4 -4 - 2 as it should be with the players they have now! Uccello and Hughes i know will do very well together. But the question remains if he is attending!

Actually Canso, Matondo played wide left making it a 4-5-1, but I wouldn't call you nuts. This was only in the last game, and as far as I know, only An Observer had the pleasure of watching the Australia game on Eurosport (or something), so he may be able to comment on the formation in that game.

After Spain scored, "Mister" brought Lemire on for Harmse and Chris played in a more attacking role, but still not as high up as Hume.

Canso you nut-bar

coming from the Horses mouth

Harmse went from the back to become the attacking player behind Hume (the lone striker), Matundo definitely played out wide.

In the first two games Dale played with three in the back so there was no 4-4-2 to start, then went to 4 in the back inserting Harmse later Bruno or the Edmonton boy behind Hume.

Dale played a low pressure game and looked to counter with the wide players or Hume which all have similar characteristics as a Jaime Peters. So check your notes mate

Angelo Hume is not there nor is these other players that are mentioned so forgetabout it this could go on and on and on.

Here are some notes for you guys Hughes is in Germany right now and is not in Florida. So Hughes thru club commitments at this time in germany and may be out of the picture I hope not.

I agree canso the "mister" was using a 4 -4 -2 and has been for a long time. If hughes is not there this will give Will Johnson an opening next to Julian as the Two stikers role. Which is still not bad.

Hughes did not play today in Regensburg's 2-0 friendly victory over Austrian first tier club Wuestenrot Salzburg. Being a friendly there were a lot of substitutes so maybe the reason Hughes did not play was because he has left for the U-20 camp (only speculation on my part).

Archived