Info on this summer's Gold Cup... ...

ballboy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Seattle has apparently been given two Gold Cup matches (or match dates, if double headers), at Q-West Field on July 7 and 9. No indication who will play there, but there is a good chance it may be Canada given that Mexico will probably play in places with more Hispanics, and we won't be in the same Group as Mexico.

see July schedule at:

http://www.qwestfield.com/

Man, I hope we play in Seattle. I'll certainly head down for a weekend game, maybe both. Might have to mortage my kid, but them are the breaks when it comes to soccer.

If Canada plays a couple games in Seattle, who here will likely attend? I hope we could get a large contingent out.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Man, I hope we play in Seattle. I'll certainly head down for a weekend game, maybe both. Might have to mortage my kid, but them are the breaks when it comes to soccer.

If Canada plays a couple games in Seattle, who here will likely attend? I hope we could get a large contingent out.

Nothing booked with family. . . finances in better in shape this year. . . lots of notice. . . I am there with bells on!

If I can convince my brother from Montreal to fly to Vancouver

(and drive down to Seattle), I'm in!

Hey Beav, beers all around ...;)

Ted with bells, RedHat brimmed with beer--on me--and CurrentChamp in shackles of some sort: damn, this is sounding too good to pass up already. Perhaps we shouldn't get too excited yet, but until I know otherwise, I'm praying the US dollar continues to tank. I want ALL you guys to make it down to Seattle. Yes, that is a lot of beer, but I think Redhat said he'd help me out.

I am also of the opinion that CONCACAF shouldn't invite teams from other federations into the Gold Cup. Sure, whenever the Brazilians play in the Gold Cup it adds a certain lustre to the proceedings but this is the tournament used to determine the champions of CONCACAF. I also think qualification for the Gold Cup needs to be streamlined. There are 41 nations in CONCACAF which makes it really easy to make a 16-team tournament. It is even possible to undertake this in an economically accomodating manner.

-First off, the Gold Cup must only be awarded to a single country. Therefore there is only one host nation and only one automatic qualifier.

-Then, in order to fill the remaining 15 qualification spots you put the remaining 40 teams into 5 seperate 8-team groups. To save travel expenses for the smaller nations the group qualifications would be held at a central location (CONCACAF would determine the host on factors such as availability of facilities, and financial resources to stage) with each of the 8 teams playing the other 7 teams in their group just once. The top three teams from each of the five groups would qualify for the Gold Cup leaving you with your 16-team field.

I acknowledge that because of scheduling, this could conceivably interfere with World Cup qualifying. But I also don't think that it would be too much of a problem, because World Cup and Gold Cup qualifying could be done in a somewhat symbiotic way. One example would be:

-The Gold Cup hosts, and the 15 qualifiers could would be randomly drawn into 8 individual match pairs with the paired teams playing a standard home-and-away set. The 8 winners from these draws would then be drawn into two 4-team qualifying groups in which each of the 4 teams plays the other three teams once at home and once on the road. After these six games the top team in each group would grab two of the three automatic World Cup qualification spots CONCACAF gets. Then the two second-placed teams would play a further home-and-away series with the winner getting the last automatic qualifying berth and the loser being forced to play a home-and-away series against a team from another federation in an attempt to qualify for the World Cup.

I'm not sure whether or not I made this sound more complicated than I see it in my head, but not only do I think it could easily work in a standard 4-year World Cup cycle but I think it would not only make the Gold Cup more important in nature because of the dual qualifying structure, but I think it would raise the level of competition among CONCACAF teams as teams may be less inclined to play second-tier line-ups in Gold Cup qualifying. It would also greatly increase the number of games nations like Canada would have to play with CONCACAF referees allowing our players to get more aclimitized to the style of refereeing that pervades throughout CONCACAF.

As for how this would easily fit into the 4 year World Cup cycle, my vision would be along these lines. (As an example I'm using the 4-year cycle leading up to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa)

2007 - CONCACAF's dual World Cup/Gold Cup preliminary qualification takes place

2008 - The Gold Cup would be played starting in late Spring. In the fall, the 16 teams would play their two games in their home-and-away series.

2009 - The remaining 8 teams would play their 6 group games during FIFA mandated international dates starting in the Spring and finishing before August 31st. The two second-placed teams would play their home and away during openinings in the calander during the fall.

2010 - The loser of the pairing of second-placed teams would play their home-and-away last chance qualifying early in the calender year. The World Cup would be played in South Africa during the summer.

Future World Cup/Gold Cup qualifying and tournaments would follow on a similar schedule.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if I was able to properly articulate my proposal into something easily understandable.

Feel free to point out any faults you see in this proposal. I've never been able to properly convey my intentions.

The Mexicans are not interested in attending international matches unless they involve their NT, or superpowers from Europe and South America. They have a very small immigrant population, whereas just about anywhere in the US has a starting base of any nationals from the attending countries.

We don't know where all the venues will be. We do know that CONCACAF and SUM Marketing will place

(they don't have a real "draw" for the Gold Cup, they will do the Groups in the NY offices and call it a draw in the releases) the teams and groups and venues that will get the maximum ethnic attendance. For instance, we know that if El Salvador is one of the four to qualify from central America, they will probably be placed in a city like Washington or Houston (if they are venues) where there is a high proportion of Salvadorans. We also know that Mexico will not be placed in Seattle unless it is also the venue that is sharing a group with Los Angeles or Denver where there are a lot of Mexicans.

Ted with bells, RedHat brimmed with beer--on me--and CurrentChamp in shackles of some sort: damn, this is sounding too good to pass up already. Perhaps we shouldn't get too excited yet, but until I know otherwise, I'm praying the US dollar continues to tank. I want ALL you guys to make it down to Seattle. Yes, that is a lot of beer, but I think Redhat said he'd help me out.

Well so long as it isn't A-merican beer and things get back to normal at work by high summer I may just be able to tag along. Had an understanding with my betters that if I gave up 2004 then they'd be very accomodating come 2005 with this little footie hobby of mine.

Lost 5 home dates (tragically and unexpectedly) so money isn't an issue. Hell, I figure I'm a good 5 gs ahead already.:) And I did promise the Wee Elf a bit of a travelling holiday this year.

Of course, there is that border issue...Ug.

Jamaica (finally socking it to French Guyana in the second leg), Trinidad (narrowly edging St Kitts 3:2 on aggregate) and Cuba (edging Haiti 2-1 on aggregate), made it through the 3rd round of Carribean qualifying (Digicel Cup) for the Gold Cup. Final stage is a 4 team round robin with Barbados in late February in Barbados for the 3 Carribean spots in the Gold Cup. Expect Barbados, lately weak, to be eliminated. One of these teams will be in Canada's group of 4 in July.

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2928

Also in Canada's Group will be one (probably, but could be two) of the 4 central american countries to be decided at February's UNCAF Cup (it would be nice to play Panama, for a change). Also in our Group (probably, as we won't be seeded top) one of the two guest teams, either South Africa or the other unannounced guest team from another Confederation.

Still no official word from CONCACAF about the Groups or venues, or whether the matches will be one-at-a-time or double-headers like last time. I would think that CONCACAF has now come to the realization that double-headers makes little sense financially.

The US is supposedly set to play 2 of its 3 Group matches at Gilette Stadium at Foxboro (near Boston). As Canada is likely to be in a different Group than the US and Mexico

("North American Zone" of CONCACAF), this increases the likelihood that Canada will play either in Columbus (dates not yet confirmed) or Seattle (July 7 and 9 at QWest). The same article says that the final will be in the Home Depot Centre at Carson, California. I expect Mexico will get Group venues in California as well.

The article also indicates that the Group matches, at least, would be double-headers again. A nice bonus for people going to the games, but not the best marketing ploy in terms of raising cash.

bostonglobegillette

We'll have to wait for the official CONCACAF announcement as to the schedule, again described as "soon", to see. The Gold Cup is raising incredibly few ripples in the US these days with such things as the WCQ hex, the labour dispute and the resurrection of Baby Jesus (well maybe) in Germany competing for the attention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

US men look to keep Gillette streak intact

By Frank Dell'Apa, Globe Staff | January 22, 2005

The United States men's national soccer team is set to play at Gillette Stadium in the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament, which will be played July 6-24.

Two doubleheaders are scheduled at Gillette from July 10-17 and the tournament final will be at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. An official announcement is expected soon to set kickoff times.

The US has a 12-1-3 record in Foxborough and has outscored the opposition, 15-0, in winning five successive games at Gillette, a streak that began with a 2-0 win over El Salvador in the 2003 Gold Cup.

The US, now preparing for the Feb. 9 start of the 10-match final round of World Cup qualifying, was eliminated by Brazil, 2-1, in the semifinals of the '03 Gold Cup.

The Gold Cup involves 12 teams from the region, plus guest team South Africa, with the top team advancing to the Confederations Cup.

The full US national team, which has been considered to be on strike by the US Soccer Federation, will report to camp in Carson, Calif., the players announced yesterday. The players agreed not to strike during 2005 in return for a USSF commitment to engage in good faith negotiations toward a new contract.

The players agreed to a no-strike clause through the end of 2005, after qualifying for the Germany 2006 World Cup concludes. Coach Bruce Arena had been preparing a group of potential replacement players for the team's opening game in Trinidad and Tobago Feb. 9.

The players' association said the USSF agreed that salary increases will be retroactive to Jan. 1, 2003, the date of the expiration of the last contract.

Yeah, different Groups. But then there were only Groups of 3 teams, two group matches for each team. Given that there will be Groups of 4 teams, 3 matches each, with double-headers, it is unlikely Canada would play in the same venue as the US if they weren't in the same group. It's all idle specualtion, anyway.

From the CONCACAF website:

24.1.05 - CONCACAF is set to announce the venues for this July’s 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™ this Wednesday (26 January) on its website: www.CONCACAF.com.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup™ is CONCACAF’s showpiece event for men’s national teams as it crowns the regional champion. The 2005 edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup™ will take place in the USA from 6 – 24 July.

The 12-team field of the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™ will be comprised of 10 CONCACAF nations and two invitees. The 10 CONCACAF countries will include three teams to emerge from Caribbean Qualifying (Digicel Cup), four from Central American Qualifying (UNCAF Nations Cup), three automatic qualifiers from the North Zone (Canada, Mexico & USA) along with guest team South Africa and another invitee to be announced at a later date.

Mexico has been crowned CONCACAF Gold Cup™ champion four times (1993, 1996, 1998, 2003), the USA has won on two occasions (1991, 2002) and Canada captured the 2000 edition of the tournament.

The three teams to advance from Caribbean Qualifying will clinch their Gold Cup berths through the CFU (Caribbean Football Union) Digicel Cup Final Round that will take place in Waterford, St. Michaels in Barbados from 20-24 February.

The 2005 UNCAF (Union Centroamericana de Fútbol) Nations Cup, which will qualify four Central American nations to the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™, is scheduled to run from 19-27 February in Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala.

From the CONCACAF website:

24.1.05 - CONCACAF is set to announce the venues for this July’s 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™ this Wednesday (26 January) on its website: www.CONCACAF.com.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup™ is CONCACAF’s showpiece event for men’s national teams as it crowns the regional champion. The 2005 edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup™ will take place in the USA from 6 – 24 July.

The 12-team field of the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™ will be comprised of 10 CONCACAF nations and two invitees. The 10 CONCACAF countries will include three teams to emerge from Caribbean Qualifying (Digicel Cup), four from Central American Qualifying (UNCAF Nations Cup), three automatic qualifiers from the North Zone (Canada, Mexico & USA) along with guest team South Africa and another invitee to be announced at a later date.

Mexico has been crowned CONCACAF Gold Cup™ champion four times (1993, 1996, 1998, 2003), the USA has won on two occasions (1991, 2002) and Canada captured the 2000 edition of the tournament.

The three teams to advance from Caribbean Qualifying will clinch their Gold Cup berths through the CFU (Caribbean Football Union) Digicel Cup Final Round that will take place in Waterford, St. Michaels in Barbados from 20-24 February.

The 2005 UNCAF (Union Centroamericana de Fútbol) Nations Cup, which will qualify four Central American nations to the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™, is scheduled to run from 19-27 February in Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala.

Archived