U20 Camp and Friendlies - December 12-23

Champs

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Mitchell Announces 22-Player Roster for Training Camp and Friendlies

Jamie Peters

Ottawa, Ontario – Men’s Youth (U-20) Team Head Coach Dale Mitchell today announced a 22-player roster for a training camp in Carson, California from December 12-23, 2004. While in Carson, the team will play two friendlies against the United States, and one exhibition game against Necaxa (Mexico).

Canada will be looking to qualify for their third consecutive FIFA World Youth Championship when they compete in Group B of CONCACAF Under-20 Final Round Qualifying from January 26-30, 2005 in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, with host Honduras, Jamaica, and Mexico. The top two teams in each group will qualify for the 2005 FIFA World Youth (U-20) Championships in the Netherlands.

“Our trip to Carson will kick off team preparations for the upcoming U20 qualifying tournament in Honduras,” said Mitchell. “I am pleased that we have been able to arrange three quality matches that will be highlighted by the two Internationals against the United States. Necaxa of Mexico will provide a tough test on the last day of camp.”

New to Mitchell’s roster are Asmir Begovic (Edmonton, AB), Will Johnson (Woodbridge, IL), Tristan Murray (Brampton, ON), Brad Peetoom (Abbotsford, BC), and Murphy Wiredu (Brampton, ON).

The team is expected to meet two more times to prepare for the CONCACAF qualifications; early January in Central America, and late January in south Florida prior to traveling to Honduras.

Training Camp Game Schedule

Date / Time / Venue / Game

December 18, 2004 / 12:00 / Home Depot Center / Game vs. USA

December 20, 2004 / 12:00 / Home Depot Centre / Game vs. USA

December 22, 2004 / 12:00 / Home Depot Center / Game vs. Necaxa (Mexico)

2005 CONCACAF U20 Qualifying - FINAL ROUND*

Group A – Carson, California USA; Home Depot Center

COSTA RICA – PANAMA (17:30)

USA – CUBA/TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (20:00)

CUBA/TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – COSTA RICA (17:30)

USA – PANAMA (20:00)

PANAMA – CUBA/TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (12:00)

USA – COSTA RICA (14:30)

Group B – San Pedro Sula, HONDURAS; Estadio Francisco Morazan

MEXICO – CANADA (17:00)

HONDURAS – JAMAICA (19:00)

JAMAICA – MEXICO (17:00)

HONDURAS – CANADA (19:00)

CANADA – JAMAICA (14:00)

HONDURAS – MEXICO (16:00)

* Top two teams from each group qualify to 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in the Netherlands from 10 June – 2 July.

Roster

# Pos. Complete Name Club DOB Hometown Prov.

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

3 D DAVIS, Myles UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 29-Jul-86 Delta BC

4 D KASSAYE, Simon unattached 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

5 D EDGAR, David Newcastle United FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

6 M MURRAY, Tristan James Madison University (NCAA) 21-Oct-85 Brampton ON

7 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 06-Dec-85 Calgary AB

8 M LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

9 F HUGHES, Dylan FC Kaiserslautern (Germany) 23-Jan-85 North Vancouver BC

10 F LALLI, Franco US Lucera Calcio (Italy) 11-Mar-85 Woodbridge ON

11 F SHEPHERD, Jeremy unattached 08-Apr-85 Mississauga ON

12 M PETERS, Jaime unattached 04-May-87 Pickering ON

13 F JOHNSON, Will Chicago Sockers (USA) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL

14 D/M KELLY, Patrick Trinity Western University 07-May-86 Cochrane AB

15 D PEETOOM, Brad Syracuse University (NCAA) 02-Mar-86 Abbotsford BC

16 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

17 F WIREDU, Murphy St. Peter's College (NCAA) 15-Jan-85 Brampton ON

18 M GUZMAN, David University of Louisville (NCAA) 24-Mar-85 Toronto ON

19 D HEMMING, Tyler Hartwick College (NCAA) 09-May-85 London ON

20 F O'NEILL, Riley University of Kentucky (NCAA) 09-Sep-85 Campbell River BC

21 D LI, Nathan University of Kentucky (NCAA) 11-Jan-85 Delta BC

22 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir Portsmouth FC (England) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB

Staff

OSIECK, Bjorn Head of Delegation

MITCHELL, Dale Head Coach

DASOVIC, Nick Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie Athletic Therapist

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Manager

This website is the official website of the Canadian Soccer Association. Copyright

© 2004 Canadian Soccer Association. All rights reserved.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you have to wonder about the veracity of the Savona club website article about the "January 1-10 Canadian U-20 Florida camp" (and friendlies at that time against Panama and Colombia) Uccello was supposed to go to at that time. Having another camp with a different training roster at that time with these camps and friendlies this month with a 22 man roster makes little sense. It could still happen (maybe the Italian and Mexican clubs could not release their kids for December), but it's unlikely because you'd think that Dale would have settled on a basic 22 man training roster to be whittled down to 18 by mid-January by now.

The other alternative is that some of the Euro clubs have balked about the long separations in December and January (set out in the article), and said no, we don't have to release and we are not going to. That could explain the absense of a lot of players like Jonathan De Guzman and De Jong.

Maybe Uccello and Savona were approached in November about early tentative plans to see about his possible release by Dale (who was still deciding on a camp roster), and that somehow it got lost through translation as a done deal, with the approach somehow misinterpreted by the Savona club who prematurely let the cat out of the bag by announcement. Then, the Carson opportunity came up, and changes were made and Dale settled on the 22 without Uccello thereafter. That would be bad for Uccello. I hope that Dale was not to p*ssed about the Savona release (which could have been brought ot his attention as a result of our referring to it), nor that its release somehow influenced him to not choose Uccello.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Bjorn Osieck?

Yes, Holger's son. And also technical director for Saskatchewan

Soccer.

Just got beat to answer the question .;)

Too bad about the Uccello omission; hope it doesn't close doors yet.

The Begovic addition is a plus, being in a very tough group.

I wonder if this roster is fixed for all three camps. I figure if any additions/subtractions are made, it would be for the second camp early January. A bummer about Uccello not at the camp, hopefully he'll materialise for the second one.

Has Cam Wilson's development stalled since making the jump from the U-17's?

Edit: i was slow to react, so backstick you beat me to the punch. Though, about the second camp, i don't know if wholesale changes would be made, perhaps minor tweaking with some additions/subtractions, of which a certain DeGuzman would be a welcome surprise. Regardless, i figure the spine of the team will remain somewhat fixed, Wagenaar, Edgar, Hainault, Ledgerwood, Hughes, and perhaps Peters.

Yeah, I was wondering about Cam Wilson too. Voyageur reports seem to indicate that he was definitely one to watch. Could he be injured, or something...?

Otherwise, it is possible that deals were struck with some of the Euro-based players, allowing them to stay with their club for now (as we evaluate other talent), in exchange for attending one of the other two camps. Hope so anyway...

The list seems positive, However it appear from the first 11, he has decided a using a 4 - 3 - 3. with Peters as the 12 man in. From there on its all over the place.

Sure hope that De Jong, Uccello, Guzman, Ramlho, and finally Rivas are part of it in the next round.

If thats the case

Huges Uccello O'neil

De Jong Gyaki Ledgewood

Hainault Kasseye Edgar Ramlho

Wagenar

would not be that bad of a line up at all.

But to early to read between the lines but maybe a possiblity of a 4-3-3.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

I Regardless, i figure the spine of the team will remain somewhat fixed, Wagenaar, Edgar, Hainault, Ledgerwood, Hughes, and perhaps Peters.

Doubt that there is any "perhaps" about Peters - if the National team (with Mitchell as assistant coach) has deemed Peters to be good enough to play in WC qualifiers with the senior team, he's got to be considered by the same brass as one of the key players for the U20 team.

De Jong is playing with Helmond's first team. He in not a regular starter, but this is a team with a legitimate shot at promotion to the Netherlands top league. The winter break in the Netherlands does not begin for Helmond until after December 17. The break runs through to January 28.

The question is: is it better to leave de Jong to develop and play with the first team so he can improve his chance to play at the Netherlands' top level or do we push to have him participate at the U-20 for Canada?

In his case, I would be inclined to leave him there for the time being. Besides, it looks like we got a decent squad anyway.

These college kids want to... wait for it....

NOW

IMPRESS THE MLS (INSERT GRAPHIC NOW!)

Hmmm...a training camp where almost everyone involved has been featured on the insidious Soccercentral...

My spider sense is tingling! There is a conspiracy afoot!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Doubt that there is any "perhaps" about Peters - if the National team (with Mitchell as assistant coach) has deemed Peters to be good enough to play in WC qualifiers with the senior team, he's got to be considered by the same brass as one of the key players for the U20 team.

Yeah, you know what G-L, that 'perhaps' was a little retarded. I only hope that some of these collegians are used as a barometer/litmus test in order to assess how they stack up with the believed skill set of club attached players. Hope the second camp reveals some, if not all, of the players we'd wanted to be called up for the squad.

I am pleased--though wary--about the preparations Mitchell has planned for our U20s. I fully expect to see Uccello at the January camp as his club's site suggested. (Of course, I have no proof that he'll be there, just a Beaver's intuition.) Mitchell will be with these guys for a good amount of time, and has already lined-up a couple of good games. I hope he has more planned for the new year.

Interesting that Lindley of Sheffield United and Giacomi of Rangers were not invited. Perhaps they will be at the next camp. I think this one will give some fringe players a chance to impress before the early January camp when a few more players will come in from Europe. The fact that they will have 3 camps in about a month before Honduras at least shows that we will be well prepared for qualifying which can only be a good thing.

Also, relived that Hughes of Kaiserslautern is on the list (lets hope he shows up). Not surprised at all to see Shepherd not with Hertha Berlin as he didn't play much last year with their U-19s and now would be overage.

Here's a stats pack of sorts for all to digest of the various collegians. I edited out the shots on goal stat and red/yellow card stat as i think some schools didn't track it OR it would make the stats too long to fit on one line.

------------------------GP---G---A-Pts--Sh-Shot%-GW-PK-ATT

13-Davis, Myles----------15---0---2---2---2--.000--0--0-0

17-Rosenlund, Tyler------22---2---5---9--21--.095--0--0-0

16-Murray, Tristan-------19---2---0---4--20--.100--0--0-0

3--PEETOOM, Brad-------17---4---0---8--12--.333--2--0-0

6--Wiredu, Murphy------18---9---0--18--37--.243--1--0-0

10-Guzman, David-------16---3---2---8--48--.062--2--0-0

5--Tyler Hemming-------9----1---2---4---4--.250--0--0-0

9--Riley O'Neill------- --18---0---4---4--30--.000--0--0-0

14-Nathan Li----------- 18---0---2---2---5--.000--0--0-0

------------GP-GS---Minutes-GA----Avg--Saves--Pct--W----L---T---Sho

1-J-Wagenaar-19-19--1762:07-17---0.87----85--.833--13---3---3-----6

Certainly stats don't give the complete picture, but they can at least give a general/vague one.

edit, added the dashed lines to make the stats more readable.

News about Santa Barbara making it to the NCAA Championship match on Sunday, with 3 Canadians, including the following 2 on Dale's roster:

3 D DAVIS, Myles UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 29-Jul-86 Delta BC

stayed on bench

16 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

played 79'

Andrew Proctor, the other Canadian, came off the bench for 10'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UCSB 5, Duke 0; Indiana 3, Maryland 2, 2 OT;

December 11, 2004

CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- Drew McAthy scored two goals to lead UC Santa Barbara to a 5-0 rout of Duke in the semifinals of the NCAA Men's College Cup on Friday night.

Indiana won the other semifinal when John Michael Hayden scored with 48 seconds left in second overtime to give the second-seeded Hoosiers a 3-2 victory over third-seeded Maryland.

The ninth-seeded Gauchos (21-2-1) and Indiana (18-4-1) will meet for the NCAA championship Sunday at the Home Depot Center.

In the second game, McAthy began the scoring at 1:02 against unseeded Duke (18-6) by heading Tony Lochhead's corner kick from the right side into the net from 4 yards.

Jonathan Davis scored on an 11-yard shot in the 35th minute, then Santa Barbara got three goals in a nine-minute span of the second half.

Lochhead converted a 30-yard free kick in the 60th minute, McAthy scored on a 7-yard header in the 66th and Matt Bly ended the scoring in the 69th.

Goalkeeper Dan Kennedy made seven saves for his 13th shutout of the season.

In the first game, Hayden scored in the 110th minute, beating Maryland goalkeeper Noah Palmer to Danny O'Rourke's crossing pass from the right corner and heading the ball from 5 yards into the upper right corner.

The Terrapins (17-6-2) tied the game at 2 in the 81st minute. Freshman Maurice Edu headed Michael Dello-Russo's corner kick from the right wing into the upper right corner from 8 yards.

Mike Ambersley gave Indiana a 2-1 lead in the 71st minute, scoring on a shot from 24 yards between Palmer and the left post.

Jason Garey gave Maryland a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute. Garey redirected Abe Thompson's pass for his 22nd goal of the season. With the goal, Garey raised his season point total to a school record 53.

Indiana's Brian Plotkin scored from 21 yards in the 52nd minute, slipping a shot inside the left post.

Archived