Yallop Announces Roster for WCQ vs Honduras, CR

Jarrek

As someone who supported Yallop's hiring I have to say this is another strange selection. While I support some of his ideas as far as player development go I do not understand his selections nor his choice of starters. I didn't agree with a lot of Ossieck's selections either but at least I could understand that was mostly due to his poor personal relationships with many of the players. Things seemed promising with Yallop's selections against Belize but subsequently there have been some curious decisions. I don't think A-league players should be discounted based on where they play as Ossieck did but 4 A-league players plus one unattached youth player seems pretty high for a national team. If we had a small country in which one could get the A-leaguers together regularly there might be some argument for having a team made up of A-leaguers with a few additions but I don't think the A-leaguers are playing with each other more often than our European players who are unarguably of a higher skill level. If he is not going to call certain players such as Brennan because of lack of first team action why is he calling Peters? How many first team games has he played recently? The A-leaguers have also not played for 1 month or 3 weeks in the case of the Impact players. What do Nsaliwa and Klukowski have to do to get called? Two guys playing at a higher level than many of the callups and who can both play our weakest position which is defender as well as being able to move up to midfield. As far as Corrazin, at this stage in his career I would pick Pesch, Friend, Ademolu, Ngon or Jordan ahead of him. I don't rate Bircham as high as many posters do but he does bring some good spirit and can be a good sub if the team needs a bit of pick up in the second half. Imhof is not a starter in my opinion. While I am obviously not the coach and don't expect my exact selection to be chosen, I do expect a selection which I can see as reasonable. In the last few years of Ossieck I didn't find this to be the case but other than the Kingston lineup I haven't seen this from Yallop either. If we don't advance past this round I was of the opinion that he should be given to the Gold Cup to improve the MNT's results but in light of the strange squad selections and the lack of results I am starting to change my opinion.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by codegoat

Who? He has only called 4 defenders.

He's called 5 if you count Atiba who played in the back that last two games, and Imhof can also play right back so that would make 6. Even Bernier played right back against Belize though I doubt he will here.

The A-league defender I am referring to is Watson. I expect we will see the same back four against Honduras that played against them last time - Atiba at right back, De Vos & Watson in the middle with Jazic on the left. Gervais will likely be cover if one of the central defenders is injured or suspended (and Watson is on one yellow with that ridiculous yellow he picked up for not touching the Honduran player in the box).

The only question for the match in Honduras - does Yallop go with a 4-5-1 again, clogging the midfield with an extra destroyer (ie. Grande). It worked pretty well in stopping the Costa Rica attack in the last match (their goal came on a long ball to Wanchope) but it does stifle our own attack a little bit, with Radzinski not being a traditional target man.

My thoughts on how the starting line up should look.

Onstad

Hutchinson deVos Watson Jazic

Hume de Guzman Imhof de Rosario

Occean Radzinski

We need Occean up front for the height. I am guessing about 90% of our goal kicks are lost to the oppositions defenders. The ball is kicked up the middle of the field and Rad is out jumped for it. We also need another forward to spread out the defenders and give Rad some space to track down the ball. Everyone is aware how good he is and with the system we are playing they can focus on him.

The main play I would like to see coming out of our zone is to get the ball to DDR and let hime beat one or two defenders or hit Hume streaking down the other wing. The most sucess we have had is when we are bringing the ball down the sides. As long as one of these two is trailing the play, I don't think we will get caught outmanned in the middle of the field.

Our defence has actually been pretty good. We only have had 4 goals against over 3 games and one was the penalty shot. Part of the reason for this is the fact that we have lots of guys in the middle to clog things up. Also, when we are controlling the ball the opponents have had to rely on long balls. With the defence confident those are easier to handle. We also have played 2 of the 3 games without deVos. I think most people will agree, we are the thinnest on defence and we are a different team with him anchoring the back line.

The problem I have seen with clogging up the middle is when we start to break out of our zone, there is no one to get the ball to. There have been lots of time that around midfield we start to move the ball back because players don't seem to have anyone to pass to. Then we either turn the ball over or boot it down the field to the opposition's defenders.

There were also a lot of times in the Costa Rica game where we would make a pass but it would be to a player a couple of meters away. The defender that forced the pass then shifts to the new player with the ball. This doesn't gain us anything. We would have 4 or 5 players pinned in an area by 3 of the opposition.

Our biggest problem is that we haven't been able to put the ball in the net. Going into this round the general thought was you would need 3 wins to get through. So far we only have 1 goal (well I count 2 but the scoreboard has only said 1). We have had some chances that we missed but I don't think we have missed any more glorious oportunities than our opponents.

Anyway, my thoughts on what we should do for the Honduras game.

Loud and Proud

Devon

This line-up has solidified my resolve to very actively campaign against Yallop and Pipe.

Enough of this crap, we should be fielding our best players, period... this is a joke!

Corrazin?

Why not call up Bunbury while he's at it?

Maybe Yallop will lace them up in the back?

bollocks!

Love the comments anout Corrazin!! Why not another attacking mid or even a young striker like Friend or Ali who might give us a Simpsonian effort in his first major debut?!?

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

This line-up has solidified my resolve to very actively campaign against Yallop and Pipe.

Enough of this crap, we should be fielding our best players, period... this is a joke!

Corrazin?

Why not call up Bunbury while he's at it?

Maybe Yallop will lace them up in the back?

bollocks!

Yeah. I mean, what do you base that selection on?

Injury prone guy who missed as many matchs as he played who'll not have kicked a ball about on a pitch in anger in over a month?

He's allways seemed to have had a touch, but come on. It's not as though he lit up the A-League this campain when he did play.

Dought we'll see him. But still, it's one less option when you're in it deep and you look down the bench and see Corrazin sitting there.

Boy, do we miss McKenna. Great work from Occean, but he's a big step down from my man, McKenna.

This selection is both good and dissapointing at the same time. We finaly have some consistency, but at the same time, the abbsence of Bircham, Brennan, Klukouski and the ommission of players like Ali Gerba, Tam Nasaliwa etc. is frustrating.

However, if we where to call up a 20 or 22 man roster like most european nations do for two game series, we probably wouldnt have this problem as there would be more spots availiable. This would also cover us under sudden injury circumstances and give more of the nats a chance to practice together regularly.

The measure of Yallops selection abilities, whatever else can only really be measured by the results at the end of the day.

Geez, I've been as critical of Yallop as anybody but he just can't win with you guys. When he plays uncapped youngsters like Simpson and Peters he gets lambasted for it. When he calls up a proven veteran like Corazzin he gets lambasted for not picking an uncapped guy like Ali Gerba.

I have no problem with the selection of Corazzin - he's a former captain (Osieck made him the captain a couple of times when DeVos was injured) so he presumably brings some intangible leadership qualities to the team. Plus, he'll give Radzinski better service than Pesch and if his teammates can get him the ball in front of goal he doesn't miss. That's more than I can say for Pesch and DeRo.

Nice to see that Gabriel Gervais has played his way onto the team. I think he earned this call-up with his performance against Costa Rica, though I expect he'll sit on the bench if Watson and DeVos both stay healthy and don't get carded out.

I too was hoping to see Brennan and Bircham back in the fold. I don't actually think Bircham is any better than Imhoff as a d-mid player (I reckon they're about equal), but I thought Bircham might inject some character (same reason I like the selection of Corazzin) and it would free up Imhoff to play right back instead of Hutchinson. After the way Hutchinson got run over by Paolo Wanchope on Costa Rica's goal in the last match (yeah, it was a foul, but it still exposed Hutchinson's lack of physical strength) I was hoping Yallop would put Imhoff back there instead (assuming Stalteri's suspension stands after the "review"). Do we really need Bernier instead of Bircham?

Most of all, though, I'm extremely relieved that Radzinski is on the team. I was worried that we'd never see him again and I'm very, very happy that he's apparently sticking with us until we're mathematically eliminated. Let's enjoy these next two matches with Radzinski because, unless we pull off a miraculous comeback and make it to the next round, these two matches will probably be his last for Canada.

I’m bemused by all the yammering about Corrazin. Where do you figure he ranks on the 18-man roster? 17th? 18th?

Second-guessing is standard for the selection of any national side, and particularly in our case, since our national side has basically sucked. But focusing on Corrazin as a big problem? Come on.

The bulk of this team has been together for all the WCQ matches. It's up to them to show something in the next two matches. Guys like Corrazin are peripheral parts only.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Geez, I've been as critical of Yallop as anybody but he just can't win with you guys. When he plays uncapped youngsters like Simpson and Peters he gets lambasted for it. When he calls up a proven veteran like Corazzin he gets lambasted for not picking an uncapped guy like Ali Gerba.

My problems with Frank's picks is that he seems somewhat divorced from the reality of his circumstances in his team selection. Picking Corazin when he is an injury or two from disaster on the defence is lunacy. There are a ton of forwards or potential forwards on the team. Why pick another when you are already very deep? Why not a Nsaliwa who is playing centre half and has played right back and midfield as well? That would be a pick with some versatility, some ability to compensate for a clear weakness on the team (natural defenders). My criticism of Yallop comes in the naivity of his team selection. One or two key guys get hurt and we are screwed by being forced to downgrade substantially. It is like his radical departure from the team that played Beleize - which I felt to be the best team we have dressed thus far (but that is beside the point). If you are going to do that, you have to do it when the team has a chance to play together a few times so they can get on the smae page. Intorucing 8 new players and then having 2-3 days to get them to play together is extremely naive at this level. You have to plan for injuries and you have to plan to ensure that injuries are minimized. What happens if two centre halves get injured in trining or leading up to the game? Is Corazzin going to play there? I don't think so.

Looks like more of the same. Sigh.

"Insanity is best defined as repeating an action and expecting different results"

forget who said that, but Frank is making me crazy!

Canada faces must-win situation in World Cup qualifying campaign

posted October 1 @ 15:05, EST

(CP) - The Canadian men's soccer team heads to Florida this weekend to prepare for its next two World Cup qualifying games, knowing that there is no more margin for error.

With just one point from three games, the 0-2-1 Canadians need to win next Saturday in Honduras (1-0-2, five points) to keep their wafer-thin chances alive.

A loss in San Pedro Sula, coupled with a Guatemala win the same day in Costa Rica, would eliminate Canada from contention in the semifinal round of CONCACAF qualifying.

That scenario would give Guatemala 10 points and Honduras eight. Canada would be unable to catch them in their two remaining games.

The Canadians will probably have to play their last three games without one of their best players. Werder Bremen fullback Paul Stalteri was red-carded for badmouthing the officials from the bench during a Sept. 4 tie with Honduras in Edmonton.

That earned him an automatic one-game ban, which he served Sept. 8 against Costa Rica, and a subsequent three-game suspension.

Canada has appealed the additional punishment but coach Frank Yallop is not optimistic FIFA will relent.

It's been that kind of run for Canada.

Yallop reckons with a bit of luck, his team could be on three or four points and not one.

But injuries, dubious refereeing and some defensive lapses have cost Canada. So has a lack of depth in the squad.

The good news for Yallop is his two strikers - Tomasz Radzinski and Iain Hume - are scoring goals.

Radzinski has three in his last two games - two in a 4-1 victory over Boston United in a Carling Cup match and one in a 1-0 win over Southampton. Hume, meanwhile, scored a pair in Tranmere's 2-1 win over Torquay.

Impressed by Sandro Grande, Yallop will probably play the Montreal Impact player in the centre of midfield along with Daniel Imhof. Julian de Guzman will play on the right with Dwayne DeRosario playing in an advanced position on the left.

The Canadian plan is to attack.

"We're not going to Honduras to sit back, we're going in with three forwards," Yallop said Friday.

The backline remains set with Jason deVos and Mark Watson in the centre flanked by Ante Jazic and Atiba Hutchinson. Captain Pat Onstad continues in goal.

Yallop did not call in some familiar names, either through injury or inactivity for the Honduras game and subsequent match against Costa Rica, in Vancouver on Oct. 13.

Defender Kevin McKenna and midfielder Marc Bircham are just back from injury while midfielder Jim Brennan (Norwich City) and forward Paul Peschisolido (Derby County) are not seeing action with their English clubs.

"I had a good chat with Pesch," said Yallop. "At this point he's not playing with Derby and he needs to really be on top of his game. Basically he's been struggling of late. We've discussed it and unless he's sort of setting it alight, he won't be coming in.

"He's not totally retired because he feels once he gets back into the Derby lineup, he can still contribute and do well. He feels that he needs to be playing regularly and getting lots of minutes if he's going to do well for Canada."

While wishing he had more time and games with his squad prior to this round of qualifying, Yallop remains positive.

"If we get a good result against Honduras then obviously we can look forward at the rest of the round."

Notes: While most of the Canadian players are set to arrive in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, Radzinski and Hutchinson won't be there until Tuesday because of Monday club games. The Canadians head to Honduras on Thursday. ... Dave Askinas has stepped down as chief executive officer of the United Soccer Leagues, the umbrella organization that runs the A-League and W-League. League president Francisco Marcos is expected to take on a more active role with director of league operations Tim Holt being promoted to vice-president.

Top of Page

It does seem that Yallop is still rolling the dices ( to steal GL's line)when it comes to player selections. First he calls players like Brennan, Bernier, Bircham and Klukowski. then he drops them. Then he recalls Pizzolito and Occean instead and drops Pizzolito but then brings in Gervais and seemingly favours now Gervais over Pizzolito. Then in comes Grande who never played before and actually it seems that Yallop likes his play so he recalls him. But then why was Grande not called to those friendlies agianst Millwall and Hearts. Why did it take the August qualifier and not the june games to determine that Simpson and Peters were good enough for the team. There there is Pesch. Holger dropped him, then Yallop recalls him but then seemingly figures out what Holger knew all along and then he dropps Pesch. Well what took so long to come to same conclusion as Holger if you are going to arrive to same conclusion. OK I am getting dizzy here with all the changes.

I like the player selections Yallop has made so far this year IF WE WERE PLAYING FRIENDLIES AND NOT WCQ. By the time world cup qualifying comes arround, I figure that you should probably have a starting 11 down established and known. If you didn't know better you would think that the strategy here is to use WCQ as preapartion for when the friendlies start next year. Then we will go with a stable lineup. Obviously, its not supposed to be like that.

Also, I am also not sure I like the game we are playing from a tactical standpoint. We seem a little to predictbale and have had ( until prior to the last game) trouble controlling MF.

Having said that. There are alot things to like about him. Listening and reading his views it showed that he has a solid grasp of the issues that soccer faces in Canada. I am also impress by the fact that some of the surprise picks that he has made have played beyond my expectations. Also, playing friendlies versus Millwall and hearts helped some players in their careers. You've to give him credit and I hope that the CSA gives him a fair chance since he is unearthing talent that Holger didn't. But we should have been doing this two years ago not now.

I agree with Freekick's sentiments but it is starting to sound like Yallop may have been a better choice for a player development and B-team coach position than our national team coach. Experimental lineups are great for friendlies in a non-WCQ year but not for WCQ. Admittedly Yallop took over the team on short notice but was the performance of the fine lineup he called against Belize so poor that he had to make massive changes before the much tougher and more important game against Guatemala. If there was going to be an experimental lineup with unproven players it should have been against Belize not Guatemala. There seems to be a number of players that I and many other posters would consider as starters who don't even seem to figure in Yallop's plans as sub or depth players. Instead he prefers a youth player, inexperienced A-leaguers or veterans on the down side of their career. Maybe Aguair had some justification in his refusal to play for the team. Maybe some decisions are not being made entirely on the respective player's abilities. If only one seemingly obvious selection is not chosen this may be due to team chemistry but at the moment it seems like quite a number of obvious selections are not even being chosen as subs or injury cover. Whether this is due to personal factors or lack of experience as a national coach (a job which combines the jobs of coach and manager unlike the coaching job at San Jose where Yallop dealt with a steady lineup of players only partly of his choosing) is immaterial. Player development is part of his responsibilities but by far his top priority is to qualify for the World Cup and to put the strongest possible lineup on the field for each qualifying game. I don't feel he has done this and if we are eliminated in this round I think a new coach is needed. I wouldn't have anything against Yallop being retained in some other capacity but at some point we are going to have to hire a coach who will put our best players on the field and play them in a tactical system that supports their talents and works well against the teams we are meeting in CONCACAF.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

if we are eliminated in this round I think a new coach is needed.

At best, we are amongst the top 50 in the world. No where near top 25. I don't like the captaincy issue, tactical decisions, or player selection. But we have deep-seeded and long-term problems that no man can fix in one WCQ campaign. Yallop needs more time.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

At best, we are amongst the top 50 in the world. No where near top 25. I don't like the captaincy issue, tactical decisions, or player selection. But we have deep-seeded and long-term problems that no man can fix in one WCQ campaign. Yallop needs more time.

Bingo! I agree wholeheartedly.

It also seems that he is thinking offensively, almost out of desparation. We do have quite a few of our offensive players

that sometimes play at back for their club teams. Right now,

I'm just glad that De Vos is at the back, Radzinski up front,

and De Guzman in the middle. Can't do much about Stalteri and

McKenna, nor with the coach's decisions (Pesch, Brennan, Nsaliwa,

Klukowski and Aguiar).

Yallop is in contact with his players and not me. Don't know if

I could do better. [8]

guys im sorry to say but we just dont have enough skill to compete.Like think logically do we have the proper depth to compete in a world cup. I really would like to think so but im afraid i have to say the truth. We are improving in that but the main thing is we dont have a National league in this country. And that really hurts the development of canadian soccer. Players reach a certian point once they reach that point theres nowhere to go. And believe me we have alot of good players playing in the cpsl and other respective leagues. They just werent lucky as the others to make it to europe or even unniversity soccer in the U.S. The main thing is if they CSA could design some kind of pyramid structure. You have your national league which features 8 teams to start off. A east and west divison, with the teams in the west playing eachother 3 times and then they play the teams in the east 2 times. And the same goes with east. Saves travel time and money. Now you build around your core group of national team players/ veterans That have the experience and knowledge of the game. example of players: Carlo Corazzin, David Xausa, Mark Watson, Paul Fenwick, Martin Nash, Mauro Biello, Nick Dasovic, Gabriel Gervais, Richard Hastings, Tony Menezes, Mark Rogers, Tommy Kouzmanis, Rick Titus, William Giummarra, Adolfo Mella, Phil Ionadi etc. Then you bring in a couple of veteran international players. Once you have that you have the base of the league. The you insert the youth players like: Kevin Harmse, Ali Gerba, Adres Arango, Wyn Belotte, Joey Todaro, Matthew O'Connor, Gordin Chin, Chirs Lemire, Sandro Grande, Adam Braz, Alim Karim, Richard Asante, Frank Bruno, Jason Ditullio etc. This is the time to do it we have such good skill but out of all these young players 5 out of the 20 if there lucky will have the chance to play in europe. So why not have a development structure from having a top national league then second divison will be all the provincial leagues which will be all the provinces top teams.etc. We have alot of good players but there all more or less at the same level. I dont care what anyone says but we only have 4 national team player. And i'll name them. And i'm not cutting up anyother canadians its just a proven fact. The followin players are Canadian International's: Tomasz Rdazinski, Julian DeGuzman, Paul Staltieri, and Owen Hargreaves. Guys face the truth. Logically those are national team players. Obviously we cant compare to European powerhouses like Italy, France etc. But the calibar of players we have besides those 4 are all pretty much at the same level. So that leaves us wit 3 national players how can you win against teams like U.S.A wit just those players. We just got to hope we could pull an upset. What im trying to get at is that with a league we have a development happening. We have players playing at home, getting the exsposure, and learning how to play with men that know how to play the game. We have such a large variety of players in europe but if you watch them play there all pretty much the same except the following players i mentioned. By having a league it makes things alot easier for whoever is manager. Im not here to protect Yallop. Im a coach myself and i played for many years, im pretty young, and i've been following canadian soccer for a long time now, and its so weird every world cup i believe that canada has a chance to make it. And they do have a chance, im not sayin they dont but lets say they do make it on look at whats next. Playing Germany, France,Brazil, Italy, Holland, Portugal, etc. inst very easy. So we have depth but not enough depth. And thats why we need a league. End of story. Its the bottom line.

Archived