Yallop Announces Roster for WCQ vs Honduras, CR

Jarrek

YALLOP ANNOUNCES ROSTER FOR WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS AGAINST HONDURAS AND COSTA RICA

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 18-player roster for the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers against Honduras on October 9 in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (3:00 p.m. local time) and against Costa Rica at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, BC on October 13 (7:00 p.m. PT).

Yallop has recalled midfielder Patrice Bernier from Tromso in Norway and forward Carlo Corazzin from the Vancouver Whitecaps. Midfielder Paul Stalteri is suspended for both games but is awaiting a decision on his appeal to FIFA.

Tomasz Radzinski, who has scored three goals in his last two games with Fulham, has been selected along with Tranmere’s Iain Hume who scored two goals in a 2-1 win on Saturday. Defender Jason deVos is also fresh off scoring for Ipswich Town on Saturday.

Defender Gabriel Gervais and midfielder Sandro Grande, who both made their World Cup Qualifying debuts against Costa Rica on September 8, have also been called in. Both played an important role in winning an A-League Championship with the Montreal Impact on September 18.

“Everyone knows that we face an uphill battle to get to the final round but our last two games have shown that we can beat anyone of the teams in our group,” said Yallop. “We are going to go out there and play with that confidence because we know we are capable of winning our remaining games.”

The Canadians will begin assembling in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday where they will train for three days before flying to San Pedro Sula on October 7. The team will travel to Vancouver on October 10.

Canada has one point in three games. They lost their opening game 2-0 to Guatemala in Vancouver on August 18 before drawing 1-1 with Honduras in Edmonton on September 4. On September 8 they suffered a 1-0 loss to Costa Rica in San Jose.

Group B Standings

GP W D L GF GA PTS

Guatemala 3 2 1 0 6 3 7

Honduras 3 1 2 0 8 5 5

Costa Rica 3 1 0 2 4 7 3

Canada 3 0 1 2 1 4 1

Remaining Games

October 9

Costa Rica vs Guatemala San Jose 7:30 p.m.

Honduras vs Canada San Pedro Sula 3:00 p.m.

October 13

Guatemala vs Honduras Guatemala City 8:00 p.m.

Canada vs Costa Rica Burnaby, BC 7:00 p.m.

November 17

Honduras vs Costa Rica San Pedro Sula 8:00 p.m.

Guatemala vs Canada Guatemala City 8:00 p.m.

Canadian Roster For World Cup Qualifiers vs Honduras and Costa Rica

Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

1 Pat Onstad GK San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 1/13/68 44 17

22 Lars Hirschfeld GK Dundee United, SPL 10/17/78 16 4

5 Jason deVos D Ipswich Town, English First Division 1/2/74 46 4

3 Ante Jazic D/M FC Kuban, Russian Premier 2/27/76 10 0

2 Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, A-League 9/18/76 2 0

8 Daniel Imhof M St. Gallen, Swiss First Division 11/22/77 27 0

13 Atiba Hutchinson M Helsingborg, Swedish Premier 3/8/83 8 0

6 Julian de Guzman M Hannover 96, German Bundesliga 3/25/81 11 0

9 Tomasz Radzinski F Fulham, English Premier 12/14/73 24 7

14 Dwayne de Rosario F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 24 5

4 Mark Watson D Charleston Battery, A-League 9/8/70 75 3

15 Josh Simpson M Millwall, English First Division 5/15/83 4 0

11 Jaime Peters M Unattached 5/4/87 3 0

17 Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian First Division 10/23/81 4 0

7 Iain Hume M Tranmere Rovers, English Second Div. 10/30/83 8 0

16 Sandro Grande M Montreal Impact, A-League 9/29/76 1 0

10 Carlo Corazzin F Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/25/71 58 10

12 Patrice Bernier M Tromso, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 4 0

Staff

Andy Sharpe Head of Delegation - Vancouver

Les Wilkinson Head of Delegation - Honduras

Frank Yallop Head Coach

Dale Mitchell Assistant Coach

Paul Dolan Goalkeeper Coach

Morgan Quarry Team Manager

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its time Yallop stopped picking A-League players... can't he see it isn't working; with the slow pace game of the A-League against fast paced teams like Honduras!! Jeeeeezzzzzzz, Corazzin? Doubt he'll play, but if he does... it'll be BAD, simple as that. Sure he was good for us in 2000, but his time is up... time to start calling younger players if you need a 'B' Team kind of player for these games, such as Ali Gerba.

And Jay Way, Serioux is injured, he hasn't been playing for Millwall in the last couple of weeks.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Its time Yallop stopped picking A-League players...

Well, certain A-league players at least. Gervais & Grande both looked pretty good against Costa Rica (though I expect Gervais won't play anyway in favour of another A-league defender).

As for calling up Corazzin as another striker when you've got Radz, De Ro, Occean and Hume all available at the striker position in the rest of the squad, personally I would callu up another midfielder like Nsaliwa who could also play in defende, and be content with those other four strikers up front. But then I'm not the coach.

This is the last roll of the dice for Yallop. Let's hope he finds the winning combination this time.

It can't be card concerns, even if Bircham is carrying a yellow from Belize (I don't think that is the case), it would only mean he would be eliminated from the Costa Rica match if he got another one.

It has to be something personal (and I use that in the braodsest sense, including team chemistry in Yallop's consideration) between Bircham and Yallop, a la Aguiar. There can be no other explanation. Imhoff, with respect, is not in the same league as Bircham.

Doesn't Imhoff usually play on the right side and Bircham on the right? I think then that it was a choice of Peters over Bircham, which again is questionable. Perhaps Yallop thinks that Bircham does not fit into his attack plans, and more varied attack has to be the strategy now against defensively challenged Honduras and Costa rica.

If Yallop does feel it is team chemistry, that would be strange, as the reports from the Kingston games, and the friendlies and practices before that, seemed to suggest that Bircham was well liked and kept the team percolating.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

It can't be card concerns, even if Bircham is carrying a yellow from Belize (I don't think that is the case), it would only mean he would be eliminated from the Costa Rica match if he got another one.

It has to be something personal (and I use that in the braodsest sense, including team chemistry in Yallop's consideration) between Bircham and Yallop, a la Aguiar. There can be no other explanation. Imhoff, with respect, is not in the same league as Bircham.

Doesn't Imhoff usually play on the right side and Bircham on the right? I think then that it was a choice of Peters over Bircham, which again is questionable. Perhaps Yallop thinks that Bircham does not fit into his attack plans, and more varied attack has to be the strategy now against defensively challenged Honduras and Costa rica.

If Yallop does feel it is team chemistry, that would be strange, as the reports from the Kingston games, and the friendlies and practices before that, seemed to suggest that Bircham was well liked and kept the team percolating.

With the cards, I was just thinking that in Honduras a guy like Bircham, playing in the competition that he does, could take you down to 10 men pretty quickly. I would take the risk though because he's smart enough to make the last one a good one.

I was under the impression Marc played right in front of the central defenders for QPR. I hate to use analogies from the other football where you don't use your feet, but we need a ballhawk back there who will take some pressure of De Vos' partner -whoever that will be.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Gian-Luca

though I expect Gervais won't play anyway in favour of another A-league defender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who? He has only called 4 defenders.

Maybe Stalteri could win his appeal before Oct 9 ?? could that be the reason?

I do not find much of an advantage in Bircham over Imhoff. I like Bircham's energy, and you sure notice him, though not always for the best reasons. Daniel is a calming presence, played very well in Edmonton, though his distribution wasn't always as good as it has to be. I do not feel that either of these two guys have much of an edge over the other.

I wish Nsaliwa had been called in. He's playing good football in a good league, and playing lots of it.

Line-up predictions?

Onstad

bernier Devos Watson Jazic

Hume Imhof Deguzman Simpson

Radz DD

What I'd like to see:

Onstad

Hutch Devos Watson Jazic

Hume Bernier Imhof Deguzman

Radz Ocean

I love DeRo, but I think we need height and strength up front with Radz, and I am picking Watson because he was actually very good against Honduras.

-----

I must say, however, that you cannot knock Corrazin's experience at this level, nor his height. Like I've said recently, we are not as tall as we used to be, especially with McKenna out of the line-up. I'd love to see Ocean, Devos and Corrazin getting up for headers on set plays. We scored two goals versus the Hondus this way.

At least De Vos, Radzinski, Hume, De Guzman, and De Rosario will

be there. And Stalteri might, after the appeal.

And Hume's in form, with Josh doing well. Grande, who surprised me

during the last game, will be there too.

Could you imagine another game without De Vos and Radzinski?

It's not as bad as everyone thinks ...[^]

I think calling Corrazin is not such a bad idea, he will basically be taking Peschisolido's spot on the bench, and Pesch has been in poor form lately.

I do feel there is a spot on this team for Bircham or Brennan. I know Brennan has played at the back before and I'm sure Bircham could play deep mid, so why not drop watson/gervis in favour for an english-flavour backend? (DeVos/Brennan/Bircham) they would have the same style, and more pace.

Archived