WCQ: Canada vs. Honduras match thread [R]

DJT

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the front row of Voyageurs at the game, and I didn't see who threw the firecracker, but it came from down near my end... opposite side from the Honduran supporters.

We were all frustrated, but I didn't agree with that move. For one, it nearly landed on the foot of some kid who was an usher/ball boy and it could've injured him.

I hope it doesn't kill the beginnings of the positive interaction we were having with the CSA. I'd like to point out a couple things though...

1- When the usher came and asked us to sit down so the people behind could see, we politely told him we'd be happy to if the Hondurans would take their seats first... I didn't notice him asking them though.

2- When security was having an issue with some of the Hondurans and a bunch of Vs started chanting "Taser!", and the security guy came over and said "Hey.. that's not appropriate" we complied.

3- After the match, when we all felt like storming the pitch to get the referee and the CSA guy said "hey.. I've already got enough trouble over here (with the Hondurans)", we didn't give him any more grief.

Well, it certainly does not feel any better the morning after...my voice is starting to come back...that cognac at Sherlocks helped.

Not much more to say as the pages before have pretty well summed up the travesty. The team certainly deserved a better fate especially the way they played particularly in the second half.

I am not sure but I am guessing that those particularly bad muddy spots on both sides of the field are where the CFL team benches usually are. I think the field extends into the sideline areas for international soccer matches.

Crowd was a little disappointing but given the lack of "spirit" especially after the Guatemala result I was not surprised. I hemmed and hawed all day before deciding to attend. In the end I decided that you have to attend these games in order to insure that international soccer continues to be played in Edmonton.

My wife had to keep reminding me, "Bob there are children here" as my blood pressure and language began to suffer [smile].

I thought the V's did a great job. Nice to see some emotion from Cdns. Best part was meeting some of you and now being able to put faces to names. Gordon, Mad Cap Mac, Iain, Free Kick and many others.

Hopefully I will run into some of you when we do a "road trip" to support Canada in some city other than Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

Lets get a grip people we got outplayed yeat again at home. The penalty

was a good call, if you have a video tape like myself you can see the canadian player did make contact.The Ref made the right call. get over it. Yes he made a mistake on the canadian goal after this, it should have stood, but thats football. time to regroup for 4 years from now

when the whole process starts yet again for south africa 2010.

Soccerbeast just browses other people's threads and posts contradicting views. This is either an American or Latino on a wind up, no Canadian fan would talk like this. Moderators should remove him.

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Take the Jeremies handball in the WC versus USA, the disallowed Campbell goal at the past Euro, and the Hand of God and it still doesn't compare.

Well, the disallowed Campbell goal was a good call according to most experts. So you're right. It doesn't compare.

Anyway, Honduras will be going to Germany in 2006. Technically they're pretty damn good.

A short word on the television broadcast - which, once again, was horrid; misplaced replays and pointless closeups included.

It seems that Sportsnet's obsession with the opposition's support is not soon to dye out. From the moment the broadcast went on air we were treated to extended closeups of jovial chaps in blue, singing and cheering their hearts out for their Honduran heroes.

Where was the Canadian support? How could our own fans abandon the home team like this? The answer is they didn't. In actuality, they were five feet away, barely an effortless jolt of the camera right-ward! But, of course, that didn't get in the way of Sportsnet's apparent determination to whipe out any semblance of Voyageur presense.

*What* exactly is Sportsnet's problem with us? Did one of you sleep with the producer's wife? Did your kid beat up Gerry Dobson's kid at recess? I just can't comprehend why Sportsnet, a station who can only benefit from exaggerating any popularity the game attracts in Canada, would fail to highlight the only group of fans who gives a damn about the very World Cup effort they are paying to broadcast!

It's insane!

A short word on the television broadcast - which, once again, was horrid; misplaced replays and pointless closeups included.

It seems that Sportsnet's obsession with the opposition's support is not soon to dye out. From the moment the broadcast went on air we were treated to extended closeups of jovial chaps in blue, singing and cheering their hearts out for their Honduran heroes.

Where was the Canadian support? How could our own fans abandon the home team like this? The answer is they didn't. In actuality, they were five feet away, barely an effortless jolt of the camera right-ward! But, of course, that didn't get in the way of Sportsnet's apparent determination to whipe out any semblance of Voyageur presense.

*What* exactly is Sportsnet's problem with us? Did one of you sleep with the producer's wife? Did your kid beat up Gerry Dobson's kid at recess? I just can't comprehend why Sportsnet, a station who can only benefit from exaggerating any popularity the game attracts in Canada, would fail to highlight the only group of fans who gives a damn about the very World Cup effort they are paying to broadcast!

It's insane!

Send that post to sportsnet's contact us page.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/features/contactus/index.jsp

They always reply to the emails! Unlike FIFA, CONCACAF, CSA!

Maybe, Sportsnet will change the broadcast style for the final game in Vancouver!

They even respond to my pissed off emails when Im ranting about them showing blue jays games over soccer or Detroit Colorado Hockey games over the Canucks!

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Well, it certainly does not feel any better the morning after...my voice is starting to come back...that cognac at Sherlocks helped.

Not much more to say as the pages before have pretty well summed up the travesty. The team certainly deserved a better fate especially the way they played particularly in the second half.

I am not sure but I am guessing that those particularly bad muddy spots on both sides of the field are where the CFL team benches usually are. I think the field extends into the sideline areas for international soccer matches.

Crowd was a little disappointing but given the lack of "spirit" especially after the Guatemala result I was not surprised. I hemmed and hawed all day before deciding to attend. In the end I decided that you have to attend these games in order to insure that international soccer continues to be played in Edmonton.

My wife had to keep reminding me, "Bob there are children here" as my blood pressure and language began to suffer [smile].

I thought the V's did a great job. Nice to see some emotion from Cdns. Best part was meeting some of you and now being able to put faces to names. Gordon, Mad Cap Mac, Iain, Free Kick and many others.

Hopefully I will run into some of you when we do a "road trip" to support Canada in some city other than Edmonton.

Hey bmac, thanks for the jugs (of ale) you sent up to our table at the Sherlock, much appreciated!

Even the Americans on the Fox Sports World Report saying we got jobbed. I can't believe CONCACAF or FIFA would not make a public comment regarding this. Thats so cheasy, just let things fly under the radar. Its one thing to let it happen its another to pretend nothing happened!

I really love the acting job on the last one. Even if he got tapped on the foot, the guy flys down feet going out behind him never seen anyone fall that way. Then he attempts to get up and looks up and then when we score he starts holding his head and crying.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think we should actually wait to be eliminated before sending our U20 team to play. Yes, we got screwed more outrageously than we ever have been in the past, but as long as we are still alive I want our team to go for it. 3 wins out of 4. We can do it.

That's what I like to hear.After last night I think the lads proved that they can compete with any team in this group given a little more preparation time.

Not only was it a great acting job by the honduran who got touched on his foot, full marks to the ref as well. He ran right in there and signalled for the stretcher right away as if Occean made some lethal tackle with his studs up. But then, i guess he had to make his blown call look good.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Hey bmac, thanks for the jugs (of ale) you sent up to our table at the Sherlock, much appreciated!

Yes, BMac, thanks for dropping by and for the beer. Too bad you had to leave so soon.

As for the firecracker, I was under the impression that some of the kids behind us had tossed it. I think the stupid sh.its were aiming at the Honduran crowd--they were pelting the Hondus with peanuts, too--and I'm glad nothing went drastically wrong. Further proof that we must be a rabid and ferocious fan-base, but not a STUPID one, especially when we've got kids watching us. And, we'll only hurt ourselves and lose privelge with stupid antics. Let's not destroy a good thing we are building.

Good meeting you guys.

Archived