WCQ: Canada vs. Honduras match thread [R]

DJT

Anyone who thinks the CSA doesn't care, wasn't at the Crown and Rose Pub after the match. A lot of the suits were there along with Yallop, DeVos, Watson and eventually Forrest. I was drunk by time I left the Sherlock Holmes (thanks Bmac, didn't realize you sent up the beer! Much appreciated!) and Andy Sharpe made sure I wasn't going to be doing anything Sunday (sorry Free Kick and Mr. Furious) by time we had to leave the pub. Sharpe's take on the match reads like morse code: **** **** **** ***** ** *** **** ***!

The players respect him and I do too. I've got issues with the CSA, but I think most of them definitely have their hearts in the right place. Sure everyone likes free beer, but more importantly it was obvious he was as mad as we were and was probably more so and he was defiant. I don't think there will be an official protest, but he seemed to think his conduct after the match was going to get FIFA attention.

The boys were angry, but fired up. They know they can still do this. I can't believe JDV even played after talking to him and to anyone who talked about guys not keeping their cool, the guys were brilliant about their protests. DeVos knew he was out for Wednesday and so he took up the protests after the PK call since a red wouldn't hurt him. Stalteri wasn't playing Wednesday anyway, so he reacted first on the other call. To me that's leadership.

The second-ever Voyageurs MOTM Cucumber winner went to that memorable game-winner Benito Archundia! Unfortunately my arm isn't what it used to be and my 'presentation' of the cucumber to that whistle-happy ****face fell a good 20 yards short.

It's probably a good thing I was in shock after the match because had I been as angry as I was to be later I might have tried to storm the pitch otherwise.

No idea on the firecracker either. It came from behind me somewhere.

I don't think we have to worry about our rep with security. The head of security at the match was also on hand at the Crown and Rose with the CSA brass. By the sounds of the arrest ratio and the hassle ratio, we had a little home field advantage in the stands and it was no accident.

cheers,

matthew

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move to the right turns out to be wrong

Jim Matheson

The Edmonton Journal

647 words

6 September 2004

Edmonton Journal

Final

D10

English

Copyright © 2004 Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON

EDMONTON - Soccer is about reading and reacting, as Canadian soccer goalie Pat Onstad well knows.

Onstad desperately tried to get inside Honduran captain Amado Gulevara's head as he lined up for a penalty kick in the 88th minute of Saturday night's World Cup qualifier. The two had squared off July 31 in the Major Soccer League all-star game in Washington, D.C., with the Metro Stars midfielder ripping a penalty past the San Jose Earthquakes goalie's right side.

Onstad knew if he saved on Gulevara Saturday, he would save a win for Canada, which was clinging to a 1-0 lead on Jason DeVos's header in the 82nd minute.

Ironically, Onstad and Gulevara are two of the leading candidates for MVP in the MSL. After getting beaten in the MSL all-star game, Onstad thought the most decorated Honduran player would shoot to his right again.

Wrong. Gulevara booted it to Onstad's left as the 'keeper dove the other way, and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

"When we have a penalty to take, Gulevara ... he is always the one I call on," said Honduran coach Raul Martinez.

Good call. In Honduras's 5-2 blasting of Costa Rica back on Aug. 18, Gulevara scored the winner in the 67th minute, again on a penalty after David Suazo was taken down by the Costa Rican goalie after a long run. In soccer, anybody can take penalty kicks; it doesn't have to be the player fouled.

Saturday night at Commonwealth, Suazo also tumbled to the turf in the 88th minute after what appeared to be a phantom hit by Canadian defender Mark Watson.

Enter Gulevara, exit Canada. OK, maybe not officially -- but with only one point in two matches on home grass (in Vancouver against Guatemala last month and here Saturday), Canada's hopes of making it through to the CONCACAF final round are slim.

Canada did, however, catch a small break on Sunday when Guatemala defeated No. 33-ranked Costa Rica 2-1, handing the Costa Ricans their second straight loss in this qualifying round. Guatemala leads Group B with six points, Honduras is second with four and Canada third with one; Costa Rica has none. The Canadians play in Costa Rica on Wednesday night in an absolutely must-win situation.

"It's unfortunate that what could have been a very good victory and put us back in the group Saturday is snatched away by a play like that in the penalty area," said Watson.

"We now have to win games on the road, and that's never easy in this region," acknowledged DeVos, who will miss the Wednesday game after picking up his second yellow card of the march to Germany in 2006. He kicked Suazo in the ankle and referee Benito Archundia ruled it a dangerous foul. DeVos also received a yellow card against Belize.

Archundia was roundly rapped by Canada after the game for awarding Honduras the penalty and for disallowing an Olivier Occean goal a minute later that would have put the Canadians up 2-1. But he's an experienced referee. The 38-year-old Mexican worked the Argentina-Italy men's semifinal at the Olympics, and has worked Gold Cup and Confederation Cup matches. He may referee at the World Cup in 2006 because he's one of CONCACAF's most called-upon officials.

CORNER KICKS: Pushing the Canada-Honduras game back to 7 p.m. from its original afternoon time slot may have been a bad idea, considering the evening World Cup of Hockey game between Canada and Russia was on TV. The price of tickets, up to $39 apiece, may also have hurt attendance as a relatively weak crowd of 9,654 turned out.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Move to the right turns out to be wrong

Jim Matheson

The Edmonton Journal

But he's an experienced referee. The 38-year-old Mexican worked the Argentina-Italy men's semifinal at the Olympics, and has worked Gold Cup and Confederation Cup matches. He may referee at the World Cup in 2006 because he's one of CONCACAF's most called-upon officials.

That's not world class officiating. If he's one of CONCACAF's best,

that's scary for the WC ... I've seen bad, and he's worse.

We'd get throttled by UEFA teams. I like our chances against 3rd world countries.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

we should seriously start bombing our CONCACAF neighbours, hence forcing FIFA to register us in UEFA out of fear of neighbouring countries commiting terrorist attacks against us at games - like Israel.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

That's not world class officiating. If he's one of CONCACAF's best,

that's scary for the WC ... I've seen bad, and he's worse.

It depends on whether you think the bad calls were due to incompetence or he had a mandate to screw Canada where he could.

We have to ensure we don't give them that opportunity if it is the latter.

Archived