CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Predictions

Jarrek

The only thing I find really insane about those predictions is that you have Canada only giving up 2 goals in this group. If Canada has it's full team together we are more than able to beat any of these three teams (even Costa Rica), but I think they all have the quality to score more than 2 goals against Canada in the 6 games.

I just really have a good vibe on this one, a feeling that I didn't have back in 2000. Costa Rica and Honduras look genuinely weaker this time around. Guatemala IMHO we'll be able to roll over. It's too bad we can't gauge our teams performance versus some carib nations this year, well maybe that's because we've been playing more powerful European opposition???

We'll finish top 3 in the hex as well :)

My prediction: Home: 2 wins and a draw

Away: Two losses and a win

I think we take Guatemala home and away, Win home and lose away to HOnduras and draw at home and lose away v.s. Costa Rica

That gives us 10 points, should be enough to go through.

If your insane Jarrek. I'm certifiable , I think we can finish second in this group.

With the players we have and the joy I saw in the Belize games this team can come to-gether. Central American games are hard. But we have real pros on this team now. Playing in the large stadiums in Europe most of these guys play in as visitors , a game or two in hostile territory shouldn't faze them that much. With the players brought back by Mr. Yallop and company number two is do-able.

I just don't want to hear any crap from Euro clubs not wanting to release players.

Let's see lots of Radzinski's Moose Antlers.

Go Canada ......THE MOOSE IS LOOSE :D

HAHAHAH the CSA should start selling Canada hats with moose antlers attached to raise funds [:o)]

Don't lynch me, but here are my early predictions:

CONCACAF Final Round Group Stage 1

Canada 2 vs Guatemala 1

Canada 2 vs Honduras 2

Costa Rica 1 vs Canada 1

Honduras 2 vs Canada 0

Canada 1 vs Costa Rica 1

Guatemala 1 vs Canada 2

It doesn't matter in international soccer where you finish in the group stages as long as you advance. Teams Just play to advance to the next round and thats it. Therefore, you will never see a team advance with a perfect record unless its oceania or something similar. Also, just like euro, whether you finish first or second is insignificant.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

You're optimistic.

I think we can qualify, but I'm doubting that anybody is going through this group un-defeated.

We went undefeated against all 3 of these teams in our qualification run for the 1986 WC. The only thing I would add is at least one more away draw.

History is on our side.

Paul

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Let's see lots of Radzinski's Moose Antlers.

Go Canada ......THE MOOSE IS LOOSE :D

HAHAHAH the CSA should start selling Canada hats with moose antlers attached to raise funds [:o)]

Hmm, since our hockey team in Winnipeg is the AHL Moose,

I think I can get some foam antlers for the Voyageurs you guys want ...

BTW Cheeta, I HAVE YOUR CSA PROGRAM. Please email me.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

We went undefeated against all 3 of these teams in our qualification run for the 1986 WC. The only thing I would add is at least one more away draw.

History is on our side.

It's the present and the future that needs to be on our side moreso than history. Though a history like that doesn't hurt of course.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Cheeta, you collect programs?

Don't let beachesl near any of your programs Cheeta~!

I asked him to get me one from an Aviators game. He did, and got Rick Titus to sign it.... and that was the last game Rick played for the Aviators.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

History is on our side.

Paul

"History is on our side." Maradona on his confidence that Argentina would win the 2002 World Cup:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/08/1022982784053.html?oneclick=true

"Whether you like it our not, history is on our side. We will bury you." Nikita Kruschev on the ultimate victory of Communism over Capitalism, 1956:

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/pop/famous-people-1.htm

"No, Governor Clinton, history is on our side, and that's why we will make history in 25 days" The first president Bush in October, 1992, on the certainty of his beating Clinton in the imminent presidential election:

http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/research/papers/1992/92100802.html

:)

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

"History is on our side." Maradona on his confidence that Argentina would win the 2002 World Cup:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/08/1022982784053.html?oneclick=true

"Whether you like it our not, history is on our side. We will bury you." Nikita Kruschev on the ultimate victory of Communism over Capitalism, 1956:

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/pop/famous-people-1.htm

"No, Governor Clinton, history is on our side, and that's why we will make history in 25 days" The first president Bush in October, 1992, on the certainty of his beating Clinton in the imminent presidential election:

http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/research/papers/1992/92100802.html

:)

Ok sure, but having the confidence of knowing that one’s predecessors have been successful under the same circumstances is a bonus.

Bush had never run and won against Clinton before, so his point is moot. From the same article: “Governor Clinton said this week that his side is, quote, ``on the right side of history.''”

Communism was still in its infancy, so there is no history there. Also, there is nothing in that article to back up Khrushchev’s reasoning. Communism had never defeated Capitalism previously.

I can’t access the Maradona article so I can’t comment on it. He was probably high.

Here is what Canada has done (1985):

13.Apr 85 Victoria Canada 2-0 Haiti

20.Apr 85 Victoria Canada 2-1 Guatemala

26.Apr 85 Port-au-Prince Haiti 0-1 Guatemala

05.May 85 Cd. Guatemala Guatemala 1-1 Canada

08.May 85 Port-au-Prince Haiti 0-2 Canada

15.May 85 Cd. Guatemala Guatemala 4-0 Haiti

11.Aug 85 San José Costa Rica 2-2 Honduras

17.Aug 85 Toronto Canada 1-1 Costa Rica

25.Aug 85 Tegucigalpa Honduras 0-1 Canada

01.Sep 85 San José Costa Rica 0-0 Canada

08.Sep 85 Tegucigalpa Honduras 3-1 Costa Rica

14.Sep 85 Saint John's Canada 2-1 Honduras

I think we'll take 10 points, too, and I hope this is enough to volley us into the hex.

One thing of note: Probably our best game in the past several years was the one where we beat the Swiss 3 - 1. The keys to that game were Razinski's clinical finishing on the 2 chances he had; Stalteri's overall play, including a very solid goal; a very organized defensive core that started with our mid; good ball movement and vision from Nash and DeRo.

Now, the core of that squad is still part of Yallop's team, though with a couple of upgrades, in my opinion. Instead of Hastings, we now have a very solid Ante Jazic at left back. Instead of Nash, we have a very impressive Julian DeGuzman and still raw but exciting Iain Hume. With Stalteri and Jazic out wide and Devos healthy, with good options in midfield, and excellent options up front, I personally feel that this team is even better than the team that faced the Swiss. They need even more time to gel, but the elements are there, including the coaching staff, experience and vision. With that said, I still remain absolutely nervous about these next games, though for the first time in quite awhile I feel truly optimistic.

Vive le Canada!

Archived