Canada - USA U19 Final (R)

mattbin

So, like, is no one watching this!?

Won with an extra time goal by Belanger off a Kara Lang free kick from long range in 118 minute.

Emily Zurrer and Stacey Van Boxmeer won tournament MVP and most valuable keeper, respectively.

[Mexico won the fair play award; no word on the other three horsemen of the apocalypse. Oh, here I am, being nasty again.]

Btw, in case you're not thinking this is an important match, it gives us top seeding in the U19 finals in Thailand. Nothing to sniff at.

Anyhow, There ya go. Can't believe no one else has posted this. (I just got home -- that's my excuse.)

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Ha. Had to leave at the end of the first overtime to take my boy to a skateboard exhibit at a local art gallery. Left confident that the girls would win as the American's, from the 70 minute mark on were more or less out of gas...only the second half sub, McNeil was any threat.

Interesting tactics by the US, ran their asses off pressuring the ball for 70 mins: high risk, high reward approach. Canada really struggled to do much passing and looked like the long ball team of the past. I can see why they (US) would steamroller lessor teams with the style. But once the American's ran out of gas, Canada was able to pass more and keep it on the ground. Once the American's were tired, and the Canadians had the reserves to pressure them, their control deserted them as well.

Have to say that the American's are smarter at playing the ball on the ground. They present well for the pass, and almost always give the ball carrier two good options. Excellent ball support even after they were tired. But was proud of the way our girls fought, and, when the pressure was reduced, went to more of a control game.

Canada tops U.S. to win under-19 CONCACAF tourney

WebPosted Sun, 06 Jun 2004 17:23:28 EDT

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Josee Belanger scored with two minutes to play in the second overtime as Canada defeated the United States 2-1 Sunday in the final of the under-19 CONCACAF qualifying tournament in Ottawa.

The victory means Canada will hold the one of top four seeds at the FIFA under-19 world championship this November in Thailand.

Team Canada celebrates a goal earlier in the tournament.

(CP File Photo)

The Americans also qualify for the world championship as the second seed from the North and Central American and Caribbean region.

"This is a big, big plus in the draw," said Canadian coach Ian Bridge, whose team now avoids powerhouses Brazil and UEFA's No. 1 team (expected to be Germany) as well as the U.S. through the tournament's opening round.

"But bragging rights are pretty good, too. This is the first time I've beaten (the Americans) and the under-19 team's first time as well."

Belanger, of Coaticook, Que., headed in a long free kick from Kara Lang of Oakville, Ont., in the 118th minute to send the crowd of 3,300 at Frank Clair Stadium to its feet.

"Normally it's not me, I'm (usually) at the near post, but this time I was too tired to go there," said Belanger. "I just jumped for it."

Aysha Jamani of Calgary scored her team-high fifth goal of the tournament to give Canada the lead in the third minute, but Kerri Hanks buried her tournament-best 10th goal in the 42nd minute to tie the match for the U.S.

Sunday's win was a little revenge for the Canadians, who have experienced some heartbreaking results against the Americans over the last few years.

At the under-19 world championship two years ago in Edmonton, the U.S. edged Canada 1-0 in overtime to take the inaugural title and at last summer's women's World Cup, the Americans edged the Canadians in the bronze medal game.

Canadian defender Emily Zurrer of Crofton, B.C., was named most valuable player of the tournament. The 16-year-old had three goals in the tournament – all headers off corner kicks.

Stacey Van Boxmeer of Collingwood, Ont., was named the tournament's top goaltender. Van Boxmeer, along with Canada's back four of Lang, Zurrer, Katie Radchuck of Halifax and Sari Raber of Richmond, B.C., allowed just one goal over five games in the tournament – the lone marker was Hanks' on Sunday.

Earlier in the day, Costa Rica defeated Mexico 4-3 in the third-place match.

My impressions of the game. Fair number of walkups seemed unexpected by organizers as it took at least 15 minutes to buy a ticket despite four windows being open and while I managed to get to my seat before the kickoff many did not. Not sure if this was the fault of Landsdowne or the CSA. The CP article gives the attendance as 3300 but it seemed like there were quite a few more to me as the North Stand was almost half full and the South Stand had about 1000. It is possible that the South Stand was not counted as this was Ottawa Soccer Association members who had bought a tournament pass and it was not possible to buy a game day ticket for this stand. I would have estimated the crowd at around 5000. There was a pretty good atmosphere in the stadium and the size of the stadium did not seem to harm this in any way.

Canada scored early and dropped back to defend the league and counter. This led to the appearance of US dominance for much of the first half. The American team had better ball control and passing but rarely seemed to be very dangerous. The team was obviously much stronger than the others that we faced in the tournament but still didn't impress me that much. They seemed to play a good team game but lacked the extremely talented individuals that we had like Lang, Jamani and Zurer (a bit unusual for a US team). No poor players but the only ones that stood out to me were the keeper (don't understand MikeD's comments about our keeper being the difference as both were strong and although VanBoxmeer won the ball well on rushes she rarely had to make difficult saves), the tall blond centre back and the black striker. The Americans passed the ball well in the back and at mid but their attack often fizzled in the last third of the field. In the second half after the game was tied I though Canada completely dominated and not just from the 70th minute. I don't think the US tired at all but rather once Canada started attacking again they dropped back and played counter soccer. I think their coach realized the superior skill of the Canadian team but also that the Canadian team was prone to some big errors thus deciding on this defensive strategy and hoping to capitalize on a mistake. I don't know how much the tv viewers could notice this but in the latter part of the 2nd half the US seemed to have 6 defenders lined up at the back. Canada pressed and were far more dangerous than the US but also tended to hoof the ball up the field a bit too often and get rid of it too soon when under no pressure. The last pass of a scoring play also failed to connect quite frequently. Robinson was not nearly as dangerous as Jamani and this was in my opinion a poor substitution. Robinson seems to have some skill but seems to prefer to pass the ball and make fancy plays rather than running in and shooting, may be better as a playmaking mid than as striker. We seemed to lack a bit of scoring finish as the second goal should have been scored much earlier. Both defences were quite well organized and I thought Lang was the best player on the pitch. Excellent at winning balls (we were generally superior in winning one on one fights for the ball), taking free kicks and can place the ball well when she looks down the field as the final goal shows (occasionally on her goal kicks she kicked the ball without looking down the field and it went to an American). Maranda's corner and free kick placement was excellent and Iacchelli was also quite good as her sub. During the overtime the Americans had a few flourishes but were again totally dominated by the Canadians and their defensive posture seemed to suggest that they would not be unhappy to go to penalty kicks. The victory was well deserved and indicative of the run of play. This was the first woman's soccer game that I have seen live and I was quite impressed by the level of play. I also thought the reffing was reasonably good especially considering that they must have come from a country where women's soccer is not as developed as in Canada or the US. There were a few mistakes and calls I did not agree with (as usual) and the second yellow was a bit harsh but the ref seemed competent and unbiased and the line judge on the North Side of the field seemed to get all of her offside and throw-in calls right. I could live with this level of reffing in Kingston as I have seen far worse in men's Concacaf WC qualifying matches. The team received a well deserved ovation at the end when they came to the North side and almost noone left until the award presentations were over. All in all a pretty enjoyable match to attend plus a dramatic finish.

Women's Under-19 Team

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Canada Wins CONCACAF U-19 Championship

Josee Belanger

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Women’s Under-19 Team today defeated the United States 2-1 in front of 3,300 spectators at Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa in the final of the CONCACAF Women’s Under-19 Qualifying Tournament. Josee Belanger (Coaticook, QC) scored the game winner in the 118th minute for Canada’s first win against Americans at the U-19 level.

Both teams advanced to the 2004 FIFA U-19 World Championships in Thailand set for November when they won their semi-final games in Montreal on Friday, June 4th.

Canada came out strong in the third minute as Katie Thorlakson (Langley, BC) forced American goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris into a diving save that led to a Canadian corner. The corner taken by Veronique Maranda (Saint-Lambert, QC) evolved into a goal mouth scramble for multiple Canadian shots on net. Aysha Jamani (Calgary, AB) capitalized on a rebound in the scramble for her fifth goal in the tournament.

The Americans tied up the game before the end of the half when Kerri Hanks picked up a rebound off the post and fired the ball into the top right corner of the net in the 43rd minute.

The second half ended with no goals and the game continued into two 15 minute periods of extra time with no golden goal rule.

Belanger’s game winner and her fourth goal in the tournament, was a header to the opposite corner of the net on a 30-yard Kara Lang free kick.

“It’s great to win against the Americans at the U-19 level,” said Head Coach Ian Bridge. “Long term, it’s important that we will be one of the seeded teams in our group in Thailand and can avoid some of the top teams (in the group).”

“It was a great effort by the entire team and staff.”

Canadian keeper Stacey VanBoxmeer (Collingwood, ON) earned the “Goalkeeper of the tournament” award after an almost perfect tournament; she went four and a half games before today’s American goal.

Rounding out the Canadian player awards; Emily Zurrer (Crofton, BC) was crowned Most Valuable Player after dominating in defence and scoring three headers (all on Maranda corners) in the tournament.

Hanks earned the tournament goal scoring title with a total of 10.

The Mexicans were awarded the Fair Play award.

In the earlier match of the double header, Costa Rica defeated Mexico 4-3 for third place in the tournament.

June 6, 2004 – CONCACAF Women’s U-19 Qualifying – Final

Frank Clair Stadium - Ottawa, Ontario

Attendance: 3,300

Canada 2 (1)

USA 1 (1)

Goals: Canada-Aysha Jamani (3), Belanger (118); USA- Hanks (42)

Cautions: Canada- Robinson (75)

Canada: 1-Stacey VanBoxmeer; 2-Katie Radchuck; 5-Emily Zurrer; 7-Amanda Cicchini; 8-Veronique Maranda (10-Selenia Iacchelli, 77 (9-Lisa Coillison, 115)); 11-Josee Belanger; 14-Aysha Jamani (13-Jodi-Anne Robinson, 64); 15-Kara Lang; 16-Katie Thorlakson; 17-Brittany Timko; 18-Sari Raber; Head Coach: Ian Bridge

Subs not used: 3-Marie-Emilie Perrault-Morier; 4-Caroline Vanderpool; 6-Justine Labrecque; 20-Stephanie Labbe

USA: 18-Ashlyn Harris; 3-Rachel Buehler; 4-Nikki Krzysik (12-Yael Averbuch, 45); 5-Sheree Gray (14-Kia McNeill, 45 (7-Bristyn Davis, 116)); 6-Stephanie Lopez; 8-Stephanie Logterman; 9-Kerri Hanks; 10-Angela Woznuk; 11-Rebecca Sauerbrunn; 13-Alexa Orand; 20-Stacy Lindstrom; Head Coach: Mark Krikorian

Officials: R-Dianne Fierrera James (GUY); A1: Patricia Pacheco (SLV); A2-Paulette Riley (JAM); FO-Virginia Tovar (MEX)

From Concacaf website:

Canada wins 2004 CONCACAF U-19s; Costa Rica takes third

6.6.04 - Canada won the CONCACAF Under-19 Women’s Championship after defeating visiting USA 2:1 in overtime in the 2004 final held in at the Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa, Ontario on Sunday afternoon. COMPLETE GROUPS & STANDINGS

Both teams had already qualified to the 2004 FIFA U-19 World Championship in Thailand from 10-27 November, after posting victories in the CONCACAF tournament’s semifinals on 4 June in Montreal, Quebec. COMPLETE STORY

After a 1:1 tie at the end of regulation in the CONCACAF U-19 Finale, forward Josee Belanger scored the winning goal for the maple leafs with two minutes remaining in the second overtime period for the 2:1 final score over the stars & stripes.

Canada got on the board first in the opening three minutes of the match with a goal by forward Aysha Jamani, but the USA got the equalizer in the 42nd minute-mark with a tally from the tournament’s leading scorer forward Kerri Hanks.

The result snaps the stars & stripes’ 13-game unbeaten streak in U-19 CONCACAF Qualifying and FIFA World Championship matches.

COSTA RICA TAKES THIRD

In the third-place match at the Ottawa’s Frank Clair Stadium, Costa Rica posted a 4:3 victory over Mexico on Sunday morning.

The ticas opened the scoring in the 20th minute with a goal by forward Amara Wilson, but forward Monica Ocampo leveled the match eight minutes later and then gave the tricolor the edge (2:1) in just before halftime at the 40th minute-mark with a goal from defender Maria Valdez.

After Costa Rica equalized in the 66th minute of the second half via a tally from midfielder Mariam Montes, forward Christine Nieva gave Mexico a 3:2 advantage two minutes later.

Montes notched her second goal of the match in the 80th minute to level the score 3:3 and then three minutes later midfielder Laura Sanchez hit the game-winner for the ticas in the 4:3 final.

2004 CONCACAF U-19 Women’s Final Round Qualification

Third Place

06.06.2004: Ottawa, Ontario CANADA; Frank Clair Stadium (A: 3300)

MEXICO – COSTA RICA 3:4 (2:1)

Monica OCAMPO 28’; Maria VALDEZ 40’; Christine NIEVA 68’ – Amara WILSON 20’; Mariam MONTES 66’, 80’; Laura SANCHEZ 83’

MEX: 1-Paola Martinez – 2-Ana Galindo (86: 16-Alexandrea Mendoza), 3-Nancy Gutierrez, 5-Devinder Vega, 6-Maria Valdez, 8-Carmenita Padilla, 9-Christine Nieva, 10-Rebecca Juarez, 11-Monica Ocampo, 17-Leslie Munoz, 18 Lourdes Gordillo. Booked: none

TD: Leonardo CUELLAR

CRC: 1-Silvia Arias – 5-Monica Salazar, 6-Mariam Montes, 8-Jocelyn Rios (45: 7-Kandy Mendoza), 9-Amara Wilson, 11-Maciel Chacon (64: 15-Amanda Esquivel Flores), 12-Betsy Bustos, 13-Ivonne Rodriguez, 14-Jennifer Jiménez, 16-Karla Villalobos, 17-Laura Sanchez (87: 4-Daniela Serrut). Booked: Bustos 38’, Jiménez 50’, Sanchez 83’, Montes 87’, Arias 90’, Sent off: Jiménez 87’

TD: Ricardo RODRIGUEZ

R: Shane DESILVA (TRI)

Final

06.06.2004: Ottawa, Ontario CANAD; Frank Clair Stadium (A: 3300)

CANADA – USA 2:1 (1:1) (1:1) aet

Aysha JAMANI 3’; Josee BELANGER 118’ – Kerri HANKS 42’

CAN: 1-Stacey Van Boxmeer – 2-Katie Radchuck, 5-Emily Zurrer, 7-Amanda Cicchini, 8-Veronique Maranda (77: 10-Selenia Iacchelli) (115: Lisa Collison), 11-Josee Belanger, 14-Aysha Jamani (66: 13-Jodi-Anne Robinson), 15-Kara Lang, 16-Katie Thorlakson, 17-Brittany Timko, 18-Sari Raber. Booked: Robinson 75’

TD: Ian BRIDGE

USA: 18-Ashlyn Harris – 3-Rachel Buehler, 4-Nikki Krzysik (45: 12-Yael Averbuch), 5-Sheree Gray (45: 14-Kia McNeill) (116: Bristyn Davis), 6-Stephanie Lopez, 8-Stephanie Logterman, 9-Kerri Hanks, 10-Angela Woznuk, 11-Rebecca Sauerbrunn, 13-Alexa Orand, 20-Stacy Lindstrom. Booked: none

TD: Mark KRIKORIAN

R: Dianne FERREIRA-JAMES (GUY)

Interesting perspective Grizzly. BTW, the Robinson for Jamani sub came about as Jamani had injured her ankle - one she has apparently had problems with before. Robinson has only just turned 15, but agree that playmaker would be a better role.

I thought she might have been injured but those are the things that one is not sure about without the t.v. colour commentators. It is interesting the different perspective one has being there live as opposed to watching on television. Certainly one can see far more of the field live and has a better overview of the tactics being used although generally having a less near view of the main action scene, lacking replay and probably being a bit influenced by the crowd reactions. I could imagine that one might have some different impressions of the same game from watching it on tv. For example, I wonder if the number of players the US was placing in defensive positions as the second half progressed was as apparent on tv.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

For example, I wonder if the number of players the US was placing in defensive positions as the second half progressed was as apparent on tv.

Nope, at least not to me. It just looked like they were tired and that our girls had more time on the ball before getting challenged.

I didn't have the impression they were tired at all but of course I didn't see the closeups of the American players that one sees on tv. To me they seemed to be strategically placing a lot of players in the back to block up the lanes and keep Canada to the outside as opposed to strongly challenging them in the midfield. Looked to me like they were playing for a tie and taking their chances on getting a counter goal or going to penalty kicks.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I didn't have the impression they were tired at all but of course I didn't see the closeups of the American players that one sees on tv. To me they seemed to be strategically placing a lot of players in the back to block up the lanes and keep Canada to the outside as opposed to strongly challenging them in the midfield. Looked to me like they were playing for a tie and taking their chances on getting a counter goal or going to penalty kicks.

I am not disputing that your impressions are correct, only that at a certain point in the second half the Americans were not longer putting pressure on our midfielders or fullbacks. I attributed that to tiredness, but it could well have been a change in tactics you mention. I just thought they didn't have the energy to push up as quickly as they had earlier in the game. But if they were playing back, that would have the same effect.

I thought we clearly deserved the win, as we had the higher number of good scoring chances throughout the match, with the US scoring at the end of the first half with their first real chance of the game.

I was a bit surprised about Emily Zurrer getting named as the MVP of the tourney, as Lang looked liked the leader in defense & seemed to be a more influential player back there, though Zurrer played well. I had to wonder if it meant to go to #15 and they missed the one & gave to her twin sister #5. :)

I really like the look of Amanda Cichini. On a separate note, I also think she's a really good player, and in all seriousness thought she was our best & most consistent player, constantly winning the ball everywhere in midfield & keeping her team in possesion the way Pellerud's teams don't do nearly as much. And watching Thorlakson play with a bad back & still be very effective, I can't understand why Pellerud hasn't given her a call for the senior team at this point. She's so good at holding the ball up & retaining possesion - which, ironically perhaps is why Pellerud hasn't called her.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I thought we clearly deserved the win.......I really like the look of Amanda Cichini. On a separate note, I also think she's a really good player, and in all seriousness thought she was our best & most consistent player, constantly winning the ball everywhere in midfield & keeping her team in possesion the way Pellerud's teams don't do nearly as much............

Cichini is on a mission.....wins every ball and then always makes the right pass.....when you see her live she consistantly moves to the right spot...becoming a huge crowd favourite.

Good result for the U19 women. For the most part they effectively blunted the American attack. However, I didn't like the fact we were back to hoofing the long ball and hoping. Very little work to hold up the ball until a player became open.

Still, I won't complain too much since we were victorious.

Chichini for Prime Minister!!

Canadian soccer, especially our women's teams, need more Chichini and less hoof-and-hope. Yes, she is a pretty young woman--as someone noted, coyly--AND she is a very smart soccer player. Great first touch, great ball-winning skills, loads of tenacity and pace, and most importantly, she knows how to pass. long or short, she makes great passes. She knows how to switch the field and supports the ball well. She is to the U-19s what DeGuzmannnn is to our MNT. Bridge would do well to build his team around the sort of skills and soccer knowledge Chichini displayed in this tournament. She is a revelation. My worry: even though Pellerud noted her skill and soccer sense, I fear he won't use her in much the same way he seemed reticent or reluctant to used Kristina Kiss at times.

Still, not to sour a sweet note. Chichini was wonderful, as were many of these young women. Remember, too, that this was a very young team. Next U-19 squad will be kick-ass. I think Lang may even qualify for that one, along with Jamani, Chichini, etc etc.

The girls play in this tournament was a testament to the defence of Pellerud and Bridge, maybe they played the kick and run before because that is the type of players we had? Do not mean to state the obvious, but this group, although smaller, appeared much more skilled than the last group. It is nice to see Canada developing the skill type of player while still holding a physical advantage. The buzz-saw Cicchini was a joy to watch (er ....., strictly soccer speaking) challenging everything and winning most. I think she needs to work on her distribution a bit, as I thought she gave the ball away a bit too much.

I do not believe Lang and Cicchini are available for the next tournament as they are 86s. The next tourney will be 87s and younger so we should still see Zurrer, Jamani, Maranda and Robinson among others. In fact, I think Robinson can play in the next two tourneys!

Congrats girls, we are very proud of you all.

Come on 3000 isn't bad. but it could be better.

Why I think the games drew badly: The U-19's (and Senior team) play crap route one soccer. I went to Germany/Canada U-19 game and promised until they changed there way of play I wouldn't go back. And I didn't. And I think even an 11 year old would be bored to tears. Wins or not.

It's so 1994. Horrible stuff.

Opinion: Lang has been sent back because she's slow. And in today's senior games, speed is everything. We'll see if she gets away with there(being slow).

quote:Opinion: Lang has been sent back because she's slow.

Agreed. Lang is like a big heavy tank with a tonne of firepower, but slow to move. Love her free kicks though, probably one of the best in the women's game.

Lang..

She made some bad decisions in back line, stepping in too agressively and opening up space to American attackers, she is being eclipsed as a center back and most likely needs to be moved to outside right where her weakness ( speed ) and decision making can be hidden.

She does have a rocket of a shot on set plays and is still a danger on pitch but most likely needs to get faster as noted above, and certainly needs to be much better as a thinking player.

Bridge and Pelerud need to work with her to make her into a player not just a physical specimen... there were others on the field who showed much better then Lang.

The attendance was pathetic. Field Turf and this poor support argue against the men's team appearing in Ottawa any time soon.

I never saw the overtime but from what I saw of the USA match, I was impressed with Belanger.

Archived