canada broadcast (WC 2006)

snake

quote:Originally posted by snake

if canada qualifies for wc2006 would we still get the english(england)feed and play by play or would it go to CBC and don whittman and or brian williams would call the games.ouch!

Shades of 1986!

My prediction is that, given the CBC's history of slowly abandoning international sporting events other than the genric games like the Olympics or Commonwealth G's over the years, that they will leave it to the commercial broadcasters, probably the specialty channels on cable. There just isn't the demand for the World Cup, with Canada in it or not, to justify the CBC doing this in their minds.

Who knows what the pay tv situation will be like in 2 years?

Are you NUTS? World Cup games were HUGE in 2002 and I can only imagine the interest there'd be with Canada there. I'm also thinking that they'd have designated commentators for the games, but I'm thinking they'd get "real" soccer experts from Canada.

But whether they'll send anymore people than just a reporter is debatable. They're getting pooled video feed anyway, so they don't need techies there and the commentators can work just as well off a feed. In fact, given tape delays and time changes, they can actually review games before they call them. Seems to work, on some kinda level, for Fox Sports World. Not so much that they ever get the pronunciation of Portsmouth right, mind you......

quote:Originally posted by Jeremy Loome

But whether they'll send anymore people than just a reporter is debatable. They're getting pooled video feed anyway, so they don't need techies there and the commentators can work just as well off a feed. In fact, given tape delays and time changes, they can actually review games before they call them. Seems to work, on some kinda level, for Fox Sports World. Not so much that they ever get the pronunciation of Portsmouth right, mind you......

Yeah, but for the hypothetical Canada games, they'd be shown live.

quote:Originally posted by jogesc2

The English Commentary is the best, I would hope they wouldn't change that. Does anybody know if all the Euro 2004 games are going to have English Commentary on TSN and FWSC

But why MUST it be the English commentary? If we made it to WC2006, Wouldn't it be an emabarrassment to our national pride to have our own games called by a foreign personality working for a foreign broadcaster? Yes, The British commentators have more experience in this business and generally I enjoy listening to them. Also, there are alot of things that I am not crazy about with Cnd broadcasts but there are still alot of good ones out there who could handle it. Plus soccer is not all that complicated to be honnest. We are not talking about cricket here. There are many who could do a credible job provided that they lose the refrences to hockey or comparing the sport to hockey. besides that the play by play is not that dissimilar. It all comes down to style.

I feel that you can promote the sport better to the mainstream when you have a canadian broadcast crew. I still recall Steve Armitage working many, if not all, of the 1986 WC games and he did a terrific job IMO. Vic Rauter can also call a terrific game and I don't mind Gerry Dobson as much as many here.

This debate kind of reminds of the discussion around our national stadium plans. Specifically the notion of having covered stands. Nobody in Canada complains about not having covered stands in the CFL or for baseball. In fact its quiete the opposite. So why should it be any different for for soccer. In Europe they build stadia with coverred stands and in North america they don't. Its as simple as that. Coverred stands are nice but a big nuisance for TV viewers ( ie.: shadow).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But why MUST it be the English commentary? If we made it to WC2006, Wouldn't it be an emabarrassment to our national pride to have our own games called by a foreign personality working for a foreign broadcaster?

I feel that you can promote the sport better to the mainstream when you have a canadian broadcast crew. I still recall Steve Armitage working many, if not all, of the 1986 WC games and he did a terrific job IMO. Vic Rauter can also call a terrific game and I don't mind Gerry Dobson as much as many here.

Agree up to a certain point - yes I'd rather have a Canadian broadcaster over a British one in principle, if it is somebody that can call a game competently and professionally, and you could get somebody like Paul Romanuk who called Canada's games at the 1999 Pan-Am games for TSN, normally a hockey guy but did a good job there.

However, there comes a point where having a Canadian play-by-play man is more of a national embarrassment to our national pride than not having one, and that point is reached when the the commentary is so bad, crap and amateurish that it reflects badly on the Canadian team, making it seem even more amateurish and bush-league to the average soccer fan that doesn't normally follow the team (and continues not to do so as a result). Canadian soccer isn't in a position like hockey, where your average viewer is so dedicated that they will put up with incomptency of the likes of Bob Cole night after night. I know many a soccer fan that does get put off by the commentary done by Rauter & Dobson. At minimum we should be finding somebody who can do a better job at calling the Canadian game - it really shouldn't be that difficult. Heck, I could do it.

I remember watching the France game in 1986 and Jeff Gowan did the play-by-play because the regular feed (I believe Armitage and Sam Lenarduzzi) was not available. He did a great job.

Mind you, although Canadian, he still has a British accent. Is that the best of both worlds?

I remember watching the France game in 1986 and Jeff Gowan did the play-by-play because the regular feed (I believe Armitage and Sam Lenarduzzi) was not available. He did a great job.

Mind you, although Canadian, he still has a British accent. Is that the best of both worlds?

Jeff Gowan has (had?) a wonderfully apocalptic voice (like Andy Gray had today on the Porto-Depor bradcast). I don't think he was an expert on football (he was the great CBC track and field expert, and did a very memorable job at that) but he sure sounded convincing enough.

Jeff Gowan has (had?) a wonderfully apocalptic voice (like Andy Gray had today on the Porto-Depor bradcast). I don't think he was an expert on football (he was the great CBC track and field expert, and did a very memorable job at that) but he sure sounded convincing enough.

Please no Romanuk. He is an embarassment even doing hockey games I can't imagine what he would be like for soccer. He didn't even take the care to get the team names right at this year's Spengler Cup let alone the players and this is not to mention his lack of insight into the game.

Please no Romanuk. He is an embarassment even doing hockey games I can't imagine what he would be like for soccer. He didn't even take the care to get the team names right at this year's Spengler Cup let alone the players and this is not to mention his lack of insight into the game.

Re; Free Kick.

Couple of thoughts.

I'll take the best commentators I can get and I can't realy think of any of the domestic bunch who I'd like to hear. Certainly not Rauter (Great at curling. Right in his element. Footie? Uh, no.). And for the love of Pete, no Russ Romanuk for anything! But that's just me. Question of taste. If I have to take Gerry in a pinch, no problem as long as he brings Craig along. But that's where I draw the line. So if we gotta import a crew, import them. But this buying an accent isn't going to wash with the football regulars (like us) if he/she's an idiot.

And covered stadiums are a must. At least in Winnipeg. They hold the noise. Keep the sun and rain off. And most importantly provide a bit of shelter from the sometimes wicked, western winds.

I got an idea. Bobby McMahon could do colour commentary and half time analysis so we'd all get a good talking down to with every broadcast. Just to keep us humble, you know?

quote:Originally posted by snake

if canada qualifies for wc2006 would we still get the english(england)feed and play by play or would it go to CBC and don whittman and or brian williams would call the games.ouch!

Lets just hope we're lucky enough to have this problem

I'd like to see CBC have their own crew in Germany. It encourages better overall coverage of the team. I'll endure whatever Canadian commentators we get as a result. Ideally though, they'd hire someone from the UK to work the CBC broadcasts. Although I think the level of coverage I the UK is such that pretty much everyone worthwhile will be working the world cup for British Television.

Does no one remember the fact that CBC had the last world cup? CBC has shown itself to be fantastic for international events like the Olympics and did a solid job with the Japan/Korea.

That being said, keep Helen away from the World Cup.

Archived