canada broadcast (WC 2006)

snake

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Re; Free Kick.

Couple of thoughts.

I'll take the best commentators I can get and I can't realy think of any of the domestic bunch who I'd like to hear. Certainly not Rauter (Great at curling. Right in his element. Footie? Uh, no.). And for the love of Pete, no Russ Romanuk for anything! But that's just me. Question of taste. If I have to take Gerry in a pinch, no problem as long as he brings Craig along. But that's where I draw the line. So if we gotta import a crew, import them. But this buying an accent isn't going to wash with the football regulars (like us) if he/she's an idiot.

And covered stadiums are a must. At least in Winnipeg. They hold the noise. Keep the sun and rain off. And most importantly provide a bit of shelter from the sometimes wicked, western winds.

I got an idea. Bobby McMahon could do colour commentary and half time analysis so we'd all get a good talking down to with every broadcast. Just to keep us humble, you know?

First of all, I will echoe your views regarding Joe Romanuk. The bit about importing announcers, I would be somewhat less opposed to this compared to just picking up the feed from a British broadcaster. That was the jist of my initial response in that I interpretted the sentiment that some would rather have the British broadcster handle all the games including those involving canada.

Granted I am one who has in the past complained against the "over the top" home side chauvinism, But I would be even more annoyed at the hypothetical prospects of facing a side like England, Wales, N Ireland, Scotland and even the republic of Ireland, having, say, a BBC or ITV feed. Its bad enough that our MNT has sometimes been treated like visitors on home soil, but it would be worst if that were to happen in own living rooms or pubs.

One thing is for sure. If CBC does not do the carrying, then we will not have the commentators there. There is no way Sportsnet, nor ny other cable station, could afford sending a broadcast team there. If that is the case, then I would rather have a feed from a foreign source than a commentary team sitting in studio (Toronto), like Gooooooooool TV has always done in the states. I've had enough of Dobson/Forrest (as good as they are) or Dobson/Stoumbos guessing on what's happening on the pitch). If there is foreign commentary, I would far prefer the BBC or other British commentary for Canadian games than any broadcast team the Americans have to offer,

except maybe Andy Gray (sp?) and Tommy Smith (who are not American anyway).

Worst english-language commentary ever? It has to be the South African sports satellite station, with a bunch of pasty white boars/bores/boers sitting around in rugby shirts in lawn chairs (I kid you not) trying to guess what's happening in the "suuuuka" match. Worse even than the satellite station from India describing how "Baykaaam is swatting, Baykaaam is skooring!". We don't know how good we have it in Canada!

Again, this is all minor stuff anyway if (pleasegodiwillneverneverkickthedogagain) Canada goes to Germany. :)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Agree up to a certain point - yes I'd rather have a Canadian broadcaster over a British one in principle, if it is somebody that can call a game competently and professionally, and you could get somebody like Paul Romanuk who called Canada's games at the 1999 Pan-Am games for TSN, normally a hockey guy but did a good job there.

However, there comes a point where having a Canadian play-by-play man is more of a national embarrassment to our national pride than not having one, and that point is reached when the the commentary is so bad, crap and amateurish that it reflects badly on the Canadian team, making it seem even more amateurish and bush-league to the average soccer fan that doesn't normally follow the team (and continues not to do so as a result). Canadian soccer isn't in a position like hockey, where your average viewer is so dedicated that they will put up with incomptency of the likes of Bob Cole night after night. I know many a soccer fan that does get put off by the commentary done by Rauter & Dobson. At minimum we should be finding somebody who can do a better job at calling the Canadian game - it really shouldn't be that difficult. Heck, I could do it.

Now that I think about it, a broadcast booth of Bob Cole with Helen would be hillarious. You could toss in Gus Romanuk and Darren Dutychyn as sideline reporters :D

Furthermore a better compromise candidate might be Mike Myers provided he does the broadcast as Austin Powers. Now there you have a Canadian with a british accent.

All this talk of Canadian broadcasts....isn't it time we started to bug Sportsnet to confirm that they are showing the Wales match (which I will gladly take with commentary in Klingon with an English accent if they just show it). We've got another 2 years to argue about whether Gerry & Helen should be arrested for the crimes against Canadian soccer, but the Wales match is only a few weeks away and we've heard nothing.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

All this talk of Canadian broadcasts....isn't it time we started to bug Sportsnet to confirm that they are showing the Wales match (which I will gladly take with commentary in Klingon with an English accent if they just show it). We've got another 2 years to argue about whether Gerry & Helen should be arrested for the crimes against Canadian soccer, but the Wales match is only a few weeks away and we've heard nothing.

Please, please. It's called Welsh [:o)].

In this age of digital cable, I pray for the day when the viewer will have the option of muting the commentators completely and have unprohibited access to the sounds of the match. Seeing that this will likely never happen (at least not until after WC 2006) all I care about is that the commentators say as little as possible. As long as they respect the intelligence of the viewer and understand that 100% of the viewers are tuning in to watch the game and NOT to listen to them, then they're OK with me.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

In this age of digital cable, I pray for the day when the viewer will have the option of muting the commentators completely and have unprohibited access to the sounds of the match. Seeing that this will likely never happen (at least not until after WC 2006) all I care about is that the commentators say as little as possible. As long as they respect the intelligence of the viewer and understand that 100% of the viewers are tuning in to watch the game and NOT to listen to them, then they're OK with me.

you are right.i recall watching the stanley cup playoffs about three years ago,and the canadians behind theodore were making a bit of a run,at the time the CBCfrench announcers union was on strike or locked out i dont remember exactly which,aired the canadians games with no play by play or color they just turned up the rink volume by about 30 percent.it was awesome!

quote:Originally posted by Metro

In this age of digital cable, I pray for the day when the viewer will have the option of muting the commentators completely and have unprohibited access to the sounds of the match.

That would be sweet. And the technology already exists through SAP. I wonder when they're going to take advantage of it for this purpose.

Btw, does anyone remember the game Viva Soccer, released by Microsoft about 4 years ago? It had no commentary, but there were plenty of on-field sound effects, including chatter between the players. I was really fond of that game.

quote:Originally posted by snake

you are right.i recall watching the stanley cup playoffs about three years ago,and the canadians behind theodore were making a bit of a run,at the time the CBCfrench announcers union was on strike or locked out i dont remember exactly which,aired the canadians games with no play by play or color they just turned up the rink volume by about 30 percent.it was awesome!

Does anyone remember the time in the 80s where they broadcast an NFL game sans commentators? My god, if they'd do that more often, I might be tempted to watch an NFL game now and then. As it stands... nah.

Actually, I don't mind commentators so much -- I would just rather they said less. If they cut the amount they said by about two-thirds, I'd stop complaining about them.

Well, I'd complain less, anyhow.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Should it happen, (please, please, please!) I would like to see a Canadian crew do the matches, live on-site, for the Canada games. For the other matches, the Brit commentary would be fine.

And stop critizing my wife, she really is trying her best - what Helen? Oh, ok - sorry guys, I have to go finish making dinner.

Don'T THE CBC & BBC, have a working arrangement of some sort.

Because I see a lot of BBC news programs, and shows on the CBC.and also last World Cup they had BBC coverage while TSN had ITV coverage.It would not surprise me if you see Canadian commentary for Canadian games, while BBC COMMENTARY FOR NON cANADIAN GAMES

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

Don'T THE CBC & BBC, have a working arrangement of some sort.

Because I see a lot of BBC news programs, and shows on the CBC.and also last World Cup they had BBC coverage while TSN had ITV coverage.It would not surprise me if you see Canadian commentary for Canadian games, while BBC COMMENTARY FOR NON cANADIAN GAMES

Did we actually get the ITV feed on TSN? Because I had assumed that what we were getting was the English-language FIFA feed. What they get in the press box. FIFA does this for all it's tourneys (if anyone has the U19 women's final on tape, they showed the FIFA commentary when they re-showed the PKs with Brazil and it was similar to what we got in Japorea02). I don't know any broadcaster that shows the matches with just one commentator and no one doing colour as we got for the last World Cup.

Yet with CBC we did get what sounded like a broadacst. I know in 94 (and maybe 98) we got the British feed, because they'd throw it back to studio ('your take on that Gary Lineker') and then we wouldn't hear anything.

For a Canada game I'm too amped up to even notice the commentary and if we're in Germany, so will I. As long we don't get the Gol TV with the inane commentary and the crowd cut-away shot insanity I can deal with it.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Did we actually get the ITV feed on TSN? Because I had assumed that what we were getting was the English-language FIFA feed. What they get in the press box. FIFA does this for all it's tourneys (if anyone has the U19 women's final on tape, they showed the FIFA commentary when they re-showed the PKs with Brazil and it was similar to what we got in Japorea02). I don't know any broadcaster that shows the matches with just one commentator and no one doing colour as we got for the last World Cup.

Yet with CBC we did get what sounded like a broadacst. I know in 94 (and maybe 98) we got the British feed, because they'd throw it back to studio ('your take on that Gary Lineker') and then we wouldn't hear anything.

For a Canada game I'm too amped up to even notice the commentary and if we're in Germany, so will I. As long we don't get the Gol TV with the inane commentary and the crowd cut-away shot insanity I can deal

cheers,

matthew I agree gol tv is brutal

For WC 2002 CBC picked up the BBC commentary (John Motson & Trevor Brooking) and TSN went with the international English feed (I think they were the same guys who do the international EPL telecasts).

I don't care too much who does it, as long is it is done from the stadium, not the studio. If Canada is there, I'm sure CBC or TSN can find some decent Canadian broadcasters to call the games. Steve Armitage is pretty good, but I don't really like Lenarduzzi's or Forrest's calls.

Is getting Romanuk's first name wrong some kind of inside joke about him messing up players first names?

Archived