Manchester MNT Camp - Who Will Be New?

Ian Kennett

Aside from the usual list of suspects expected to attend the MNT camp beginning March 28, one would expect a number of new (or relatively new at least) faces to be invited to the MNT camp by Frank Yallop. Is there any speculation/prediction/educated guesse as to how many new faces will attend and just who they may be?

Names that come to mind are: Marco Reda, Rhian Dodds, Iain Hume, Stathios Kappos (for an "unjetlagged" second look), and Alen Marcina although the latter has not yet established a European pedigree.

Any other ideas? Who ought NOT to be there?

Cheers!

Hopefully we get to see all those Scandinavian based players, like Reda as you pointed out. I don't really want to see those guys from Greece because it doesn't look like they have really proven themselves within their club. Of course the big names ought to be there. I really do not want to see Rogers or Fenwick there either. Hopefully Bent can fully recover and make it to this camp, too.

Swedish news today says Atiba Hutchinson's been called to the Manchester camp. Atiba says he's "extremely happy" to be called up and that there are no problems with his club's manager, even though he'll be back in Sweden only three days before the first premier league match for the season. Against Matondo's Landskrona.

As far as uncapped players go, I'd like to see Reda first and foremost. Kappos would be nice too. I have no problem calling Rogers in. He's not that old and plays a problem position for us. Let's let Yallop judge these guys before he dismisses them.

How about keepers? Does Thunder Dan warrant a call? Rayner?

I wouldn't mind Dodds getting a look, but with Brennan, Nash and Canizalez (and maybe DeGuzman I guess) I don't think he's got a lot of hope of earning a spot on the left side of the midfield. Can't hurt to look though I guess.

How about Oppong? I'm really open to anyone who is under-30 and can maybe play in the centre of defence.

cheers,

matthew

I'd like to see some of the following:

Rhian Dodds, and Mel Bottiglieri. If Yallop really wants to leave no stone unturned, he'll take a look at some of these guys.

Surely if he calls up Hastings, he could call up Mel for some competition.

It doesn't hurt to look.

In addition to the regulars, and new faces already mentioned, would like also to see Olivier Occean (O2) get called. Also MC2 (although I guess he's not really new.) How about the two kids playing in Italy? Rocco P and David M. Also Aguiar, who has been a stranger to the program for years. Plus Klukowski. Geez we have some actual depth.

As far as I'm concern, Olivier Occean is someone you want a take a look at if you're Frank Yallop. Reda also need to be given a look by the coach. I would like to see Aguair attend the camp too.

For the goalkeeper question, Fernandez and Rayner weren't good enough to make the U-20 team, so if you want to look at a young keeper you should look at Thomas Lindley(Sheffield United) or call someone like Olivieri who was named top keeper of the Olympic Qualification in Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

For the goalkeeper question, Fernandez and Rayner weren't good enough to make the U-20 team, so if you want to look at a young keeper you should look at Thomas Lindley(Sheffield United) or call someone like Olivieri who was named top keeper of the Olympic Qualification in Mexico.

Yes and O2 and Adrian Cann weren't good enough for our U23s and I want them to get a look with the full nats too. Too bad MC2 is out. I definitely want Aguiar. Vitally important. I guess he counts as a newcomer.

Two years ago or so Rogers was a started in a higher division (2nd I think) and went deep into the FA Cup. He wasn't totally out of his depth in his Cdn appearances. I'm not excited about the guy either, but I'm not really excited about Fenwick or Watson anymore and they might still be in contention for that spot. Marty Nash can't stay in England and I think he could be a squad player in WCQ, I don't think a year in the conference puts Rogers completely off the radar.

What kind of numbers do we want to bring in, I'm sort of the more the merrier school of thought, but I guess there are limits. At the end of the day as long as there are no shocking omissions and Reda and Aguiar are there, I won't complain too much.

I read a match report talking about Dodds coming in at left mid, I thought he was more of a forward/attacking mid too, but I'm not sure where I got that impression. If he can play up front bring him in. I can't see him finding any space in the midfield, but he might have some use up front.

cheers,

matthew

I subscribe to the more the merrier theory as well. I am all for calling Rogers and Fenwick (and Hastings) since they will be competeting with Gervais, Pizzolitto et. al. for some depth positions. Give them all an equal shot. Why not call, say, 32 players? Have a look at them all. See what they can, and can't, do. While Kenny S and Lars will be the keepers who get PT against the club side, why not see what Lindley, Rayner and Fernadez have to offer?

Everyone shuld start with a clean slate and play their way on - or off - the team.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

ok, i have to admit. i've been kinda playing along as though i knew who you guys have been referring to for the last year (since i started coming here) but who is MC2?

Maycoll Canizalez who previously went by a name similar to Miguel Campos (not 100% sure if that is it). I am not familiar with the reasons why it changed. But the initials stayed the same hence the MC2

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

ok, i have to admit. i've been kinda playing along as though i knew who you guys have been referring to for the last year (since i started coming here) but who is MC2?

M a y c o l l

C a n i z a l e z

Don't feel bad. it took me months before somebody told me who "Thunder Dan" was on the other forum. Nobody answered my questions. Sort of a weird fraternity thing. In a few months, newbies will be asking who "Diesel" is.

Gordon has the correct explanation. "MC2" comes from the fact that he has been referred to both as "Maycoll Canizalez" and "Miguel Campos". I think the nickname started during the 2001 U20 WCQ in BC when he first made an impression and both versions of his name surfaced. There was a movement to make it "MC²" (yes, that would be mathematically incorrect, but then we could just call him "Einstein"! [:P]), but most people were too lazy for that. To complicate the situation further, "Smith" is sometimes thrown in there as well (eg. "Maycoll Smith Canizales").

I don't know if we ever figured out where all these names came from, but according to this his parents are Santos Luz Campos and Jorge Canizalez, which would explain the two last names. And "Maycoll" and "Miguel" might be alternate spellings of the same name? But where "Smith" comes from is still a mystery.

If we can get another friendly in April I think we would be in great shape for the game vs. Belize.

• January World Cup Team Training Camp, North American Only

• January World Cup Team Friendly vs. Barbados

• January U23 Training Camp

• January U23 close door friendly U23

• February U23 Olympic Qualifications (3 games)

• March World Cup Team Training Camp, European Only

• March World Cup Team vs. a club side

• April-??? Hopefully a friendly

• May- World Cup Team Friendly vs. Wales

• June- World Cup Team vs. San Jose Earthquakes

• June- 4-day training camp in Ottawa

• June- WCQ game vs. Belize

• June- WCQ game vs. Belize

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar confirmed to me that he has been in touch with Yallop, by which I just assumed he would go to the camp in Manchester.

re: Rhian Dodds

I have been following him a bit this season and he seems to be an offensive midfielder that started the season in the hole, then switched to the left wing. He can probably play striker too but I can't rememeber reading of him there for Killie this season.

I do remember seeing him play with our youth teams (before he went to the NCAA) and he was one definitely of the top players at the time.

If he is succesful in the SPL (still up for debate), he could pass Nash and Canizalez on the left-wing depth chart.

In partial defense of Twamley on Adrian Cann, he's 24 this year and thus was too old/ineligible for the Olympic team (same with Brillant & Pusek). But Occean definitely was eligible & I agree with your point and would add Imhof from last time as another example of this. Just because one coach didn't see fit to use a player (especially if its a coach who was unsuccessful at qualifying) it doesn't mean that the national team coach shouldn't take a look at him if he's done something notable at the club level.

Re: MC2, the varying last names stems from the Spanish tradition of the child taking the family names of both the father and the mother. Both names are used in identifying a person but are not hyphenated like in English. The confusion probably arose from some English people writing articles or programs and not seeing a hyphen and being unsure of which name was his actual name and just picking one or the other.

Archived