Manchester MNT Camp - Who Will Be New?

Ian Kennett

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Re: MC2, the varying last names stems from the Spanish tradition of the child taking the family names of both the father and the mother. Both names are used in identifying a person but are not hyphenated like in English. The confusion probably arose from some English people writing articles or programs and not seeing a hyphen and being unsure of which name was his actual name and just picking one or the other.

What I don't understand about this tradition is that eventually names have to be cut off, since otherwise everyone would have hundreds of names, so how does that work? What I mean is, if my father is John Smith and my mother is Mary Jones then I would be Bob Smith Jones, and if I marry Jane Johnson Williams (two last names from her parents) then our kid would be Jake Smith Jones Johnson Williams --- but you don't see that, somewhere along the line names are dropped, but how is this decided? I've been meaning to find out from a Spanish girl I know.

Okay, this is off-topic now, but to get back on topic while keeping with the theme of alternate names, how about that Ali Gerba!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

What I don't understand about this tradition is that eventually names have to be cut off, since otherwise everyone would have hundreds of names, so how does that work? What I mean is, if my father is John Smith and my mother is Mary Jones then I would be Bob Smith Jones, and if I marry Jane Johnson Williams (two last names from her parents) then our kid would be Jake Smith Jones Johnson Williams --- but you don't see that, somewhere along the line names are dropped, but how is this decided? I've been meaning to find out from a Spanish girl I know.

[Off topic a bit] Actually, the Québec children of the 70's-80's will have this problem when they become parents. Québec passed a law sometime around that which said that the wife had to keep her last name, which lead to hyphenated last names for the children (ie: I'm Daniel Nahmias-Léonard). However, if I have kids, I'll have to drop one of those.

I'm really liking this kid Olivier Occean. He's 6-1 22 years old, powerful and quick forward. I wish him all the best in Norway. I really think if he plays like he was in la Manga cup he could really help th national team. If he's playing first team footbal with them then they should really give him a look. Because if players like pozniak and braz are getting these chances with the natonal team then Occean should to. Just because he's playin in higher league then the both. Yallop check this guy out. This is what Canada is lacking a big power forward that could play with radzinski. No offence to some of the other strikers but if u look around on big club teams you'll see it. Vieri (big) Martins (small), Crespo (big) Mutu (small), Henry (big) wltord (small)

I know that Gian-Luca already responded to this, but I REALLY want to know whether we are ABSOLUTELY sure the CSA is aware of Occean's exploits in the Manga cup and his signing in Europe. If he doesn't get invited to this month's camp, and as a result is not considered for the do-or-die semifinal round later this year, it would be a travesty.

Especially if it was due to ignorance.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Okay, this is off-topic now, but to get back on topic while keeping with the theme of alternate names, how about that Ali Gerba!

You are right, the female line's names are eventually lost, by the third generation. My wife is Maria Dolors Besa Roca. Her dad is Lluís Roca i Vilar, her mom Montserrat Roca i Sargatal. Catalan names have the Catalan "and", the "i", between the two, Spanish names once had this and occasionally you still see it. Thus the early 20th century philosopher Ortega y Gasset.

What is interesting is that women never change their name when married. Your name is your name for life, the ID never changes. This makes for odd situations where you know a man and a woman, and don't realize they are married until, maybe, you hear the name of a kid and realize he might be the offspring of those two.

Also, if the couple are not married, the child still takes both names, no change to the system.

Officially when you refer to just one last name it is the first one, the father's. So libraries should list books by authors under the first last name, I recall looking for a García Marquéz book in a library in Vancouver and found it in the M section. But that was quite a while ago, I think even Canadian librarians are doing it right now.

Archived