Calgary Mustangs new logo (Thread 2)

CMlogo.gif

Guys, I managed to get a response from the management of the Calgary Mustangs with regards to the new team logo. This is what they had to say:

Thank you for your comments!

Contrary to all assumptions, this logo has been created by a professional advertising company and we did put some thought into it, when we discussed and accepted it:

it is new, fresh, stylish, simple and non-traditional! And that is what our new club wants to be!

We are hoping, once you watch our new team playing and winning , you will be proud to wear a jersey with this logo.

I think a big part of the problem with the logo as it appears right now, on a webpage, is the fact that it is very poorly rendered. I agree with Massive Attack that logos mean very little to a soccer team. As it is, this one seems to try to grasp a bit of that throwback appeal that is so en vogue right now and, although I am not sure it completely succeeds in that regard, it is not nearly as bad as most are claiming.

Remember, logos aren't designed only to look good in a 68x40 pixel space in a web forum.

I have seen it in it's cleaned-up form and I have to admit that it is much better looking than it appears on the website.

Having said this, to me, it still reeks of the 1970's campy logos that thankfully went the way of the dinosaur (or, so we thought).

It would look fine on a banner, but I'm afraid that it's going to be splashed across the front of the jersey (like a hockey logo) instead of like a crest. That would make me sad(der).

The phrase "non-traditional" frightens the HELL out of me. After being told face-to-face that we would have a voice in club decisions, we were totally left out of the loop on this one. I'm afraid that it won't be the last time.

Thanks for trying, though. The fans of Calgary SC really do appreciate it.

Cheers.

Well now... if that's new, fresh, stylish, simple and non-traditional, I must need a dictionary.

I have a good imagination, and I can see quite clearly what a .gif file with more than 4 colours would look like. It's not the pixelation that bothers me... it's everything else. I'd like to know the name of this professional advertising company is, and what their other work includes.

I walk through a Jersey City store at West Edmonton Mall this afternoon and I saw the Edmonton Aviators shirts/pullovers sitting on the rack. They didn't look out of place. Logos may not be the most important part of a Pro soccer club... but I strongly doubt you're gonna see 10 million people wearing the newest Man U. logo...

silly.gif

It's a wonder that the comment "Contrary to all assumptions" doesn't set off any alarms with the Calgary people. If they're that adament about their new logo, I don't even feel like contacting them to offer my logos free of charge anymore.

Profitable. Successfull. Entertaining. Well attended.

Just some other things not-traditionaly associated with Calgary football.

Here's to hoping this Out with the old ways. In with the new trend continues for the Mustangs. Good luck! I've got a feeling you're gonna need it.

P.S. Come on! You knew I couldn't stay entirely out of this one.

P.S.S Just can't imagine that logo getting any better. It could be closing time and your beer goggles 12 lenses thick, no amount of hard up would make you take that bird home. Yuck.

if they are NON-TRADITIONAL....let's hope they play an immensley attacking style of football then. 4-3, 3-3, 5-2 every match! the fans would enjoy it, especially when they get the odd 5-0 smashing of an opponent! 2 forwards, a centre forward, two wingers, an attacking midfielder, 3 defenders!

I thought I saw horrible things with some A-League logos but Calgary beats all world records !

We are lucky Puerto Rico comes with (one of) the most beautiful logo(s)...

Even in the years 1540 if the played football, they wouldn't have drawn something so awful.

But... here's some advice to the Calgary board if they want to run a non-traditional team :

- Play soccer in socks, no shoes

- Only use players younger than 16 and older than 42 (are Ratko Svilar and Pat Jennings still alive ?)

- If the referee show your players a red card, force him to stay on the field

- If he shows a yellow card, sent him off the field

- Play without a keeper and with 4 wings and 3 strikers

- Color the pitch in pink

- Begin all your games with 10 players

- Play without nets in the goals

- Wear some non-traditional suit : a black jacket and ski pants

Is it enough or is it still too traditionnal ?

A fly on the wall caught this exchange at the Edmonton Aviators board meeting...

Director: ...and that's all I have to say about the correlation between succesful marketing and on-field talent. Anyone else have anything to add?

Marketing Dude: Just got a fax from one of the Voyageurs. This is the new Calgary Mustangs logo (displays the logo for all to see)

Director: That's it? (smiling incredulously)

Coach: Are you sure?

Groundskeeper: That's shiite!!!

They all erupt in laughter, like Dr. Evil's crew in the first Austin Powers movie.

I think you want to post at the chickadee site. More appropriate audience for your humour. Take that aussoccerfan with you. And when you have a minute, please post the logo of that professional club from Ottawa??? I hope they come up with another way cool name like Senators eh?? Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.owlkids.com/chickadee/

P.S. I take it you haven't actually seen the Aviator's logo?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think you want to post at the chickadee site. More appropriate audience for your humour. Take that aussoccerfan with you. And when you have a minute, please post the logo of that professional club from Ottawa??? I hope they come up with another way cool name like Senators eh?? Anyway, here's the link:

I knew I'd stir up the old Edmonton-Calgary blood-feud. Nice to see you taking things in stride, Ed.

Come to think of it, I'd probably be pissy as well if my team came up with such a piece of crap (and paid a firm to come up with said piece of crap).

I know I don't normally come over to this board, but I couldn't resist posting my new, fresh, stylish, simple and non-traditional Calgary logo, since the fan logos have proved to be far superior to the team's logo.

calgaryscsmall.gif

I think the traditional black and white stripes work well. Sort of a stylish, Newcastle United-inspired type of thing, don't you think?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

What are you trying to say ?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Ed makes a good point, the Calgary Mustangs logo is still better then the flaming ball of the Aviators.

I still don't see a problem with Calgary's logo. I like the Minimalist approach, but then again, my favourite rock band, the White Stripes, only have a drummer and a guitarist, and I think they are pure musical genious.

Edmonton might have an undeiably lame, North American-style logo, but to the average North American fan, it leaves a good impression.

For example, the Lynx logo also stinks, but in the sense that it has no artistic value, no originality, and leaves no impresison on the viewer; like some AAA baseball logo, bland and unmemorable.

You look, you see, you turn away, you forget.

However, Calgary's is just plain bad. There is no design, no art, nothing to catch the eye in a positive fashion. The image it gives is of unprofessionalism; the logo took no effort, no thought, and it shows. Similarly, the Lynx logo has those same qualities, however its moderate amount of design doesn't leave that same bad taste in your mouth as Calgary's. The Mustangs' logo isn't minimalist, it is effortless.

You look, you see, and you go "Egads, that's ****!" and, unfortunately, remember it - based on how **** it actually is.

Yes, Edmonton's logo is flaming, but at least it is professional in its 'flamingness'.

Calgary's, however, is both flaming and unprofessional.

No amount of Edmonton bashing will change that.

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

What are you trying to say ?

He's trying to say he is in denial about fact that Hargreaves left Canada cap behind for Wales...uhhhhh...Engerland.

Mr. Ed's okay. All's fair. Say what you want, buddy, most of us appreciate your freshness, just think of yourself as Dennis the Menace raising the hackles of crochety old Mr. Wilson. It's all part of the moveable feast!

Archived