Sportsnet officially SUCKS!!!!!!

Daniel

This is what I don't understand. The WYC isn't exactly on in prime time, so their previous commitments with the NHL or whastever would not be an issue. All that would be pre-empted is the countless repeats of Sportsnet News.

What pisses me off even more is that they decided to get UEFA CUP coverage as well, which means they still had space for soccer in the afternoon. Why not some Canadian content?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What pisses me off even more is that they decided to get UEFA CUP coverage as well, which means they still had space for soccer in the afternoon. Why not some Canadian content?

There is still the issue of costs. It is probably much cheaper to get UEFA Cup games than U20 WC games. However, if they were to continue to show UEFA Cup games throughout the season then those would add up and probably exceed the costs of three U20 WC games, wouldn't you think?

I would say that I am somewhere in between the "You suck Sportnet" viewpoint and the "sportsnet is doing a fine job!".

In the past couple of years, There have been very many significant games where they have failed to provided us with live coverage or even failed to show any coverage at all. As far as coverage of Canadian soccer teams at all levels, there is far more that they have'nt shown compared to what they have. Also consider that when they have held broascast rights to events like the GC, they haven't bothered to broadcast any of the other games. Not even the final games. Whatever popularity that soccer has in canada can be traced back to 1982 when the WC was first carried live in Canada. During the WC's practically all the games are carried and that helps build the profile and significance of the event which in turn draws viewers to canada's games. But they have failed in this regard. Whatever they have shown is mostly feed from another broadcast.

But if we were able to see the WYC on TV regardless of the chanell would we be complaining against Sportsnet? If you put it on Pay perview like some Cricket matches in the past, I would be willing to pay for it. Its still quite amazing that in this day and age, I can't watch something on tv that I want to watch given that there are broadcasters out there carrying it. Where are the other channells? TLN for example? The CBC? OLN? TSN?. Are any US networks carrying teh WYC? Also how much are the rights fees for these events and is anyone who is selling these rights considerate of the fact that in our time zone the games are on off peak hours when viewship is usually low?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

There is still the issue of costs. It is probably much cheaper to get UEFA Cup games than U20 WC games. However, if they were to continue to show UEFA Cup games throughout the season then those would add up and probably exceed the costs of three U20 WC games, wouldn't you think?

Hmmm... considering Galavision is showing the WYC I would say that it can't be THAT expensive! Doesn't strike me as a high-budget network, that GALAVISION (I mean it comes on channel 77</u> where I am). But of course they aren't showing any Canada games in the first round. Then again, pretty much every team makes it to the second-round (weird format). But my guess is WYC certainly must be cheaper than showing some crappy Charlton-Leeds match or Wolves-Newcastle game that interests nobody!!

PS... Look out for IVORY COAST in this competition. They looked awesome against Mexico!

speaking of those charlton-leeds type matches.....blah. this showing the big game on sunday thing really ticks me off.

all of manchester united's important matches are on sundays now. i never get to watch the liverpool derby. the arsenal matches are always sunday. and now even the chelsea matches are on sunday. thank god i still get champions league.......if real madrid isn't playing the same day. god, do more people really watch real madrid v. belgrade than manchester united v. stuttgart? (i know, i've crossed networks!

however, if we get all the world cup qualifiers but don't get world youth cup first round matches, i'll be happy! (assuming they get by the czech's and aussies.)

Okay fine.....my 2cents AGIN!

WYC , would be great!!But since Sportsnet would have to sell advertising for this event , has any-one considered; they may have tried. Maybe even with institional advertising , it was a no-sell.

Don't know really just a thought, afterall Rogers can't afford to throw $$ away .The BlueJays have used up the discretionary cash fund for Rogers[:o)]Maybe Sportsnet could have sold one time rights to a Score or similar channel?

As for the other point. I'm tired of seeing the big teams all the time.Show me some Div 1 or 2 once in a while. I actually look forward to the Div 1 playoffs Sportsnet has been showing in recent years.

(self serving add on: QPR's top of the table:D, IFL rained out:()

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Okay fine.....my 2cents AGIN!

As for the other point. I'm tired of seeing the big teams all the time.Show me some Div 1 or 2 once in a while. I actually look forward to the Div 1 playoffs Sportsnet has been showing in recent years.

(self serving add on: QPR's top of the table:D, IFL rained out:()

But aside from the Div 1 playoffs, even less people would watch a lower division match compared to the 4 people who watched the Charlton - Leeds game. There's a big drop-off in talent in England once you leave the "big 3". And its not like the Brazil or Portugese leagues (for instance) where even if the teams are crap you sometimes still see great individual skill, which sometimes makes the games worthwhile watching!

When it comes to soccer, any true TV station supporter of the game, will show most all important games and all games where a National team is involved, and worry about finances later. Sportsnet is nothing more than a money grab, a station that exploits soccer, rather than be a service to the community. Think for a minute, no national respect when everytime they cut off the national anthem for commercials, games commented from the studio rather than live on site, the use of untrained color commentators, etc. It is sad that Sportsnet continues to bask on the naivete of many of us.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

A public company that considers finances before it considers being a 'service to the community'? Shocking.

If it's service to the community that you are looking for, look to the CBC, not to Sportsnet.

I think that he's thinking more along the lines of "Sportsnet isn't such a great thing for Canadian soccer, they are repeatedly NOT going out of their way to promote this property, despite getting its 2 highest ratings EVER in games involving national teams.

When was the last time SNet produced a game that wasn't in Canada? The Cuba vacation in 2000???

Aside from that, they've failed to carry crucial youth games (WYCQ, WYC), even those held in Canada (U17WCQ, OQ)! However, we got plenty of meaningless friendlies from the women. Of course they're only trying to make money, but they're not building the property (which would make money in the long run), they're only presenting individual events/games that have an assured profit.

Any TV station could do this.

And don't get me started on Soccercentral...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think that he's thinking more along the lines of "Sportsnet isn't such a great thing for Canadian soccer, they are repeatedly NOT going out of their way to promote this property, despite getting its 2 highest ratings EVER in games involving national teams.

When was the last time SNet produced a game that wasn't in Canada? The Cuba vacation in 2000???

Aside from that, they've failed to carry crucial youth games (WYCQ, WYC), even those held in Canada (U17WCQ, OQ)! However, we got plenty of meaningless friendlies from the women. Of course they're only trying to make money, but they're not building the property (which would make money in the long run), they're only presenting individual events/games that have an assured profit.

Any TV station could do this.

And don't get me started on Soccercentral...

Yeah, I pretty much agree. They're all about making money TODAY rather than trying to invest for a big payoff TOMORROW. And I don't understand why they have to show so much basketball instead. I mean, there's no indication that anyone cares about b-ball in Canada. Last time I checked, Raptor ratings were horrible!! So games involving other NBA teams (which SN shows) must be even worse! So why keep throwing that garbage in our face?? ... Then again, SN could be worse. They still show more soccer than all English-language American stations COMBINED!!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, I pretty much agree. They're all about making money TODAY rather than trying to invest for a big payoff TOMORROW. And I don't understand why they have to show so much basketball instead. I mean, there's no indication that anyone cares about b-ball in Canada. Last time I checked, Raptor ratings were horrible!! So games involving other NBA teams (which SN shows) must be even worse! So why keep throwing that garbage in our face?? ... Then again, SN could be worse. They still show more soccer than all English-language American stations COMBINED!!

Actually this may come as a surprise to you, but the Raptors have the highest attendance ratings in the NBA. Surely though that is no excuse for the lack of soccer...

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

i dont think he ment Raptors TV but Raptors games on TSN or Sportsnet or what ever.

For the record, I meant Raptors games on CTV or SN! But the same applies to RaptorTV. ... AS for stadium attendance, its the worse-kept secret that the NBA makes-up those numbers (just like MLS).

quote:

For the record, I meant Raptors games on CTV or SN! But the same applies to RaptorTV. ... AS for stadium attendance, its the worse-kept secret that the NBA makes-up those numbers (just like MLS).

To be fair, if we had a Canadian team in what is commonly perceived as

a "professional" sports league, I'd think they'd show it. Right

now the "majors" are: NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA and (lastly) CFL. That's why they show Raptors (and Blue Jays, and Argos) whether one likes it or not. (I suspect that's also why they don't show A-League Canadian team games.)

In agreement, it really bites that (Sportsnet) they don't show WYC 2003, but they do show a lot of soccer. What I'm always wondering

that CBC doesn't show any at all (except WC2002), but prefer to show

autoracing and downhill skiing.

Does anyone know if they show it on Galavision or Telemundo? If so which times. I'll tape it if such is the case...

At least we got to see a few highlights of the Czech game on Soccercentral this morning.Great to see that Hume can take excellent free kicks.That rocket he fired was labelled for the top corner.If it wasn't for the Czech keeper it would've been 2 nil.Of course it could've also been 1-1 if it wasn't for Karims penalty save.

Does Sportsnet every answer their email? I have emailed there "Contact Us" account with questions about the WYC coverage. No replys. Galavision had a next day reply. Has anyone recieved a reply from Sportsnet with answers to questions about coverage?

quote:Originally posted by VI

Does Sportsnet every answer their email? I have emailed there "Contact Us" account with questions about the WYC coverage. No replys. Galavision had a next day reply. Has anyone recieved a reply from Sportsnet with answers to questions about coverage?

Usually they answer the within 24 hours, but you're not the first to be ignored about the WYC coverage questions.

quote:Originally posted by VI

I have received replies before with the usual crap about prior commitments. They need to get themselves a calendar where they can mark when is Canada playing so they don't "commit" those days.

Archived