Match Thread: September 3, 2023 - Vancouver FC v Forge

narduch

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Forge are winning without leaving second gear. Like watching a preseason game in terms of the tempo and lack of running off the ball.

Agreed. And schoolboy mistakes all over the pitch, like youth soccer stuff, unforced errors, errand passes galore, almost no movement off ofnthe ball. I kept shouting "too easy, black" to let them know that at least a few of the supporters could see a lack of effort and spirit and composure, at least from some of the players.

Edited by nolando

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Nope. Maybe 1000 fans? Though they'll announce 2000 or so.

Exactly. This venue hasn't seen much if any rain yet in season one, amazingly. But when the raindrops hit ppl scattered, some went home (as the result looked like a certainty by that point, who could blame them?) and there were probably less than 1000 there by the 80th min. This will not be a fun place to be in cooler and wetter weather.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

Crawford weakest on the pitch in the first half. I hate seeing the young Canucks as weak links, as Cameron was a couple matches back. Growing pains, I guess. Hamilton very well organized at the back.

Bakare and Kwak mostly terrible after coming in during the second half. Also not at this level, imo and need to be released. And Romeo had quite a poor match overall, hopefully just a blip.

On a positive, TJ was lively, smart and creative in his limited minutes. His first touch is excellent and he is ambitious and creative, even in small spaces. That ankle hurt after that red card play. He was flat on his back getting attention for 10 or 15 minutes out on the pitch afterward full time, in case anyone thought he was exaggerating.

59 minutes ago, nolando said:

Exactly. This venue hasn't seen much if any rain yet in season one, amazingly. But when the raindrops hit ppl scattered, some went home (as the result looked like a certainty by that point, who could blame them?) and there were probably less than 1000 there by the 80th min. This will not be a fun place to be in cooler and wetter weather.

Even by the 3rd goal, it looked poor.  But rain before the game will have an even bigger effect.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Gotta wonder what the last three home games of the regular season are going to be like.  I was hoping to get down to the one on the 23rd, an afternoon match vs Halifax, just to see what it is like.

This is when you really need those special promotions to get people into the seats.

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Gotta wonder what the last three home games of the regular season are going to be like.  I was hoping to get down to the one on the 23rd, an afternoon match vs Halifax, just to see what it is like.

This is when you really need those special promotions to get people into the seats.

It's not for a lack of trying on their part. I think the club has made a really solid effort and getting into the community, taking up very good causes, meaningful theme nights, community visits, etc etc. They have charismatic players, some of them as local as you could ever ask for, with endearing stories.

If people within a 20 or 30 minute drive of the LEC, and that's a pretty sizable population and a big cross-secton of the Lower Mainland, don't want to go and see a new and pretty entertaining sports enterprise in their own backyard featuring local content, even on the best of days, then I don't think there is much that can be done.

I don't think many casuals care or even know where the club are in the table or whether or not there wil be playoffs, etc. But getting shutout and/or blown out too often certainly doesn't help in terms of word of mouth and overall image.

I'm hoping for better fortunes for Year Two, patience, and deep enough pockets to see this project over the Hump. Because I have a soft spot for this little club.

Hell, I'm a V. It's not like poor public support, terrible results, and questionable business decisions have ever really scared me away from a football match.

Edited by nolando