Referee announcing VAR decisions

masster

Is it just me...or is this new procedure of the referee announcing VAR decisions in stadium stupid? It is not as if they are explaining the the call, they are just announcing the call. Well that is put up on the video board anyways. So what has been accomplished? It makes no sense to me.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38039335/history-ref-announces-var-penalty-women-world-cup

Agreed @massterand what's more: they don't even know how to express the decisions, the language is not clearly protocoled.

So in the Spain-Zambia game, after a Spain goal it goes to VAR to check on the offside, and then the ref comes out and says in a rather strong accent "No goal, no offside"....dejection from Spain. Then she realises something and gets all flustered, changes the decision. Here's the video, the Spain players took about 10 seconds to understand what they hell she'd said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23197213/womens-world-cup-referee-var-decision/

You figure it out.

The linesman screwed up two like that, which only means a legit goal can't be celebrated, which is what really bothers me. Celebrate the goal, they are hard to come by. Then check if VAR says you should.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed @massterand what's more: they don't even know how to express the decisions, the language is not clearly protocoled.

So in the Spain-Zambia game, after a Spain goal it goes to VAR to check on the offside, and then the ref comes out and says in a rather strong accent "No goal, no offside"....dejection from Spain. Then she realises something and gets all flustered, changes the decision. Here's the video, the Spain players took about 10 seconds to understand what they hell she'd said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23197213/womens-world-cup-referee-var-decision/

You figure it out.

The linesman screwed up two like that, which only means a legit goal can't be celebrated, which is what really bothers me. Celebrate the goal, they are hard to come by. Then check if VAR says you should.

If English is not their language they better stick to hand signals.

2 hours ago, The Ref said:

If English is not their language they better stick to hand signals.

True, just walk out and signal goal, offside, goal kick, penalty.

Some of the female refs have very rough English. I don't mind, I think the reffing is in general solid with all the idiosyncratic decisions you'd see with the men. But maybe the lack of international experience and encounters means they struggle to be fluent. 

But still, what you have to do in these cases is create a set of standard phrases, a protocol. The CFL and NFL have this, and rugby does too, a bit less rigid. 

If you standardise the language, the refs can practice it and it would come out cleaner, and that also means fans listen to it in a single standard way, as happens with "After review, the ruling on the field stands--touchdown". 

Trialling it in the World Cup probably isn't the best idea. Should start it in some domestic leagues where refs can speak in their native language and see how that goes. Trying to get them to do it in a foreign language (English) is already difficult, especially when it's something you've never done before in your own language . 

(Rather than starting a new thread with my forthcoming tangent post, perhaps the mods could change the title of this thread to "Refereeing issues" or something similar, if okay with @masster?)

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38195447/referee-var-taken-prem-duty-onana-penalty-error

Surely this must be the end of the line for Salisbury;  second major screw up in a calendar year for him).

Edited by BearcatSA

• 3 months later...