Match Thread: August 17, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v HFX Wanderers

narduch

Just now, grasshopper1917 said:

The old Ox at er again   lol

Yeah, at least I got that part right in my prediction.  It was a hell of a hit though but I struggle to give Oxner the benefit of the doubt... most keepers would have done better there.

8 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Lemoth has looked pretty good tonight. Maybe too little too late? We will see

He's definitely gotten into some good spaces.  I can't remember the last time we scored in open play that wasn't off a set piece.

I want to comment but I can't understand what the heck is going.  Was it a handball?  Was it an offside that was changed because it came off a Wanderer... all this with a goal we scored in the 2nd minute that didn't count which appears to should have.

Edited by Lurker

Yea i'm not really sure what just happened either. I will say this too many games in the CPL are decided by the officials. Im not even sure what to make of all this. I will even concede Ottawa was the better side - but the end was crazy. Im not even sure about the penalty call cant really see a decent angle on it. Then a handball/offside reversed? Just wild

From the highlights I think the explanation of the last play could be this (could be totally wrong though).

There is a pass to Haworth who does look slightly offside, and the flag goes up. He centres and a goal is scored, the scorer Pérez onside. Called back.

Then the ref consults with the linesman because it does seem on the first pass a defender clips it and redirects it slightly with his hand (literally, or lower arm). The ref sees this, and decides that the flag did not take into consideration that the ball had been touched by a defender on the first pass.

My personal opinion is that it is not that clear there is a significant redirect; there is always the question on offsides is how much interference from a defender on the pass warrants the offside to be waived. For me, it was not enough and that first offside should have stood: the pass was going to the player, Haworth, who assisted on the goal, he received the ball in an offside position and made the play, he benefitted from being offside to do so, regardless of the hand.

The other explanation would be that the linesman was raising the flag on the hand ball, but in those cases the flag would not be raised as it was, straight up, it would have been raised and waved energetically as when a linesman signals to the ref there is a foul or similar. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

From the highlights I think the explanation of the last play could be this (could be totally wrong though).

There is a pass to Haworth who does look slightly offside, and the flag goes up. He centres and a goal is scored, the scorer Pérez onside. Called back.

Then the ref consults with the linesman because it does seem on the first pass a defender clips it and redirects it slightly with his hand (literally, or lower arm). The ref sees this, and decides that the flag did not take into consideration that the ball had been touched by a defender on the first pass.

My personal opinion is that it is not that clear there is a significant redirect; there is always the question on offsides is how much interference from a defender on the pass warrants the offside to be waived. For me, it was not enough and that first offside should have stood: the pass was going to the player, Haworth, who assisted on the goal, he received the ball in an offside position and made the play, he benefitted from being offside to do so, regardless of the hand.

The other explanation would be that the linesman was raising the flag on the hand ball, but in those cases the flag would not be raised as it was, straight up, it would have been raised and waved energetically as when a linesman signals to the ref there is a foul or similar. 

I realize that if there's intent by the defender to play it to another player in any direction that negates the offside but is there a difference between a handball and a deflection as it relates to an offside in this situation?

If the play isn't stopped because a handball was missed or the play was allowed to continue due to advantage does that mean technically the handball didn't happen?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm asking out of sincere interest given how unique this whole situation was.

Edited by Lurker