Match Thread: July 3, 2022 - Forge v Atletico Ottawa

Beautiful weather today and no conflicts with other local sports so I hope there is a decent crowd, the previous meeting was an entertaining affair! It will be interesting to see how Forge adjust after the frustrating midweek loss to Valour, I expect Ottawa will try to use that blueprint to send the home side to another defeat, Forge need to be more clinical and find a way to break down solid defences!

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I still don't really understand what Ottawa does well, but kudos to them. Nice to see somebody new near the top of the table.

They are 2nd in the league and have some of the most hilariously bad single game performances of the season.

I was tempted to post earlier that there's a lot of parity in the league this year, but I think a more accurate way of looking at it is that all of the teams bar Cavalry have been very inconsistent in their performances. A byproduct of small rosters without a whole lot of depth, I suppose.

Controversy in this one as Platt and Wheeler in the post-match show indicated that on the free kick, one of the Ottawa players was standing within a metre of the wall which is now a no-no.  (Didn't know that and had to check the rulebook: its true)

Even funnier, they interviewed Smyrniotis post-match who said the 4th official even TOLD the referee the Ottawa player was standing in an illegal position.

13 minutes ago, Metro said:

Controversy in this one as Platt and Wheeler in the post-match show indicated that on the free kick, one of the Ottawa players was standing within a metre of the wall which is now a no-no.  (Didn't know that and had to check the rulebook: its true)

Even funnier, they interviewed Smyrniotis post-match who said the 4th official even TOLD the referee the Ottawa player was standing in an illegal position.

Didn’t see the game but did the commentator mention that at the time?

27 minutes ago, Metro said:

Yeah, very bizarre.

Not 100% sure but maybe one of those situations where the defending team has to request their entitlement , ie the 1 yard buffer otherwise it's allowed.  The defending team isn't allowed a Mulligan if things don't work out as they hoped.  Again, don't know but that's the only reasoning I can come up with.

17 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, very bizarre.

Not 100% sure but maybe one of those situations where the defending team has to request their entitlement , ie the 1 yard buffer otherwise it's allowed.  The defending team isn't allowed a Mulligan if things don't work out as they hoped.  Again, don't know but that's the only reasoning I can come up with.

That makes sense but according to the rule book, if the free kick takes place with the forward too close to the wall, the play is blown dead and it is an indirect the other way.