Canadian Soccer History (and Where Are They Now) Thread

Joe MacCarthy

13 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I see that game vs Spain and the lineup we had and I think it is criminal we didn't supply them with Herdman type resources.  We could have done so much better.

I remember the day Herdman was hired and there was so much blowback and I posted he's going to bring resources to the team that we've never seen and every little bit will help.

Maybe if those guys could have had some they would have made a WC as well.

And, there was that exiting Dero miss near the end, when everybody at first thought that it was in. Dero popped back awya from his check to get open, received a good pass, and missed the net with a one-timer by centimeters. So close!

On 12/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Golazo!

Men's International Friendly September 3, 2005
Santander, Spain
Spain 2 Canada 1
Attendance 11,978

Raul Tamudo 6'
Fernando Morientes 69'
Sandro Grande 73'

I was sitting literally right below the main camera, in the press area. The fans also applauded when De Rosario was subbed out, he was very good. The press said that Radz, who was then at Fulham, destroyed Sergio Ramos down his side. DeRo almost tied it late (Ramos, then a fullback, same guy who was marking Larin last night, how about that?).

There were Canadians dotted through the crowd, but not too many, I saw maybe 8-10 flags, no section. There were De Guzman fans who were Depor fans who had come in from La Coruña, which isn't that far, asking for his autograph before and after. I asked Dale [edit: oops, Yallop!] after the match why he did not put on Jaimie Peters, who everyone wanted to see, and he said he saw we could maybe get a result and went for it instead.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist