WWC 2019 - Canada vs Sweden - Some Questions

lamptern

Why Christine Sinclair didn't  kick the penalty? ! Why we didn't start the torch mode earlier?!

Simply put, If these two questions have no legit anwsers, the coach is not qualified. 

KHM's tactic after we trail is even more questionable: 

We have so many long balls logged to the front. I believe this is what the players been told to do. Well, if this is the new plan, why don't we push Buchanan to the forward line and sub Prince with Huitema? With three high peaks at front, we would have better chance for headers and second touches.

But he subbed Lyon in....for impact and speed? Then why he keep Sinclair whose tank was seemingly low? 

Contradicted execution or so called balanced change won't work in this do or die situation. Maybe he didn't sense the emergency at all? Who the coach on this earth would use his/her last sub on 84th miniute AND sub in a right back? 

I am not a professional,  but I want some answers.

Edited by lamptern

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you're insisting on grandstanding with a thread all your own, can we at least get a spellcheck, please?

Thanks for reminding. I agree I was a bit furious when I start a thread like this within 5 mins the game ended. Maybe I will delete it someday, but not today.

Another note about this thread. Some people come to this site when they haven’t yet watched the most recent match. This came out very soon after the game and the title is a bit spoilery. It doesn’t explicitly say the result, but nobody would post a thread with a title like this after advancing.

Edited by Kent

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, The Ref said:

The penalty kick should have been taken by Sinclair.

So, interesting note on this point. Tonight, I was on a video call with about 40 other referees affiliated with Football Victoria, the state federation. Also on the call was Kate Jacewicz, the referee from this game. I asked her if she knew why Beckie took the penalty over Sinclair. She said she was as shocked as we were that Sinclair gave Beckie the ball, then made a crack about Beckie missing again during the Olympics, then jokingly said "boo, Beckie!" I'm almost at the point where I could've laughed at that. 😕

^^ Thank you for sharing the info.  Beckie simply shouldn't be the PK taker anymore, and I am glad that the team realized that now.  I have seen Beckie take 4 PK's and she has missed 3 of them.  Let Beckie be someone we can count on to score on open play.  Continue to let Fleming take PK's.

I've said this in another thread and I'll say it again here.  I am actually glad that Beckie missed against Chile, because that was the "last straw" that prevented her from taking any more PK's.  Can you imagine if Beckie had missed against the US?  I honestly would have cried.