Will the CPL have a Chivas?

Robert

33 minutes ago, Robert said:

In my opinion, the above does relate to the topic of this thread.

I'm lost. Just make your point instead of alluding to it. Are you suggesting we haven't won these events because we lack independent professional leagues for those sports?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, I am not the problem. Outside of hockey, Canadian men's teams just don't win in major international sporting competitions. All I've done is to point out this indisputable fact and asked the question why this is. Now I understand that its difficult to accept this shameful truth if you're a Canadian male, but until Canadian men can be honest enough to make that admission and have a willingness to change the way they approach sports, they will continue to underachieve at international competitions like the World Cup and Olympics.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Look, I am not the problem. Outside of hockey, Canadian men's teams just don't win in major international sporting competitions. All I've done is to point out this indisputable fact and asked the question why this is. Now I understand that its difficult to accept this shameful truth if you're a Canadian male, but until Canadian men can be honest enough to make that admission and have a willingness to change the way they approach sports, they will continue to underachieve at international competitions like the World Cup and Olympics.

I totally agree..and as soon as you admit you're a douchebag I'll admit whatever you like.

Indisputable fact #1.

50 years ago, this is the Canada I immigrated to:

ParticipACTION

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
220px-Participaction.png

The ParticipACTION logo

ParticipACTION is a national non-profit organization, originally launched as a Canadian government program in the 1970s, to promote healthy living and physical fitness. It shut down due to financial cutbacks in 2001, but was revived on February 19, 2007 with a grant of $5 million from the Canadian federal government.[1][2]

ParticipACTION emerged from Sport Participation Canada, a non-profit private company formed on July 12, 1971 in response to a 1969 study commissioned by the National Advisory Council for Fitness and Amateur Sport that found that the future of Canadian health was at risk from poor physical fitness and apathy on the part of Canadians.[3] Council Chair Philippe de Gaspé Beaubien recommended that the Government of Canada provide seed money for an independent agency with public and private funding that would work to promote physical fitness.[3] Marketing consultant Keith McKerracher was appointed to lead the new organization.[3] Former Prime Minister of Canada Lester B. Pearson chaired the board from 1971 to 1972, while Philippe de Gaspé Beaubien served as president.[3] In 1972, the company was nationalized by then-Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau to battle exorbitant health care costs. The resulting government program was renamed ParticipACTION.

ParticipACTION is well known for its television public service announcements (PSAs) and segments such as Body Break during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. A 1973 commercial, comparing the health of a 30-year-old Canadian to a 60-year-old Swede, started a national discussion on the state of physical education in Canada. The spot had its origin in juxtaposed pages of a book by Dr. Roy Shephard,[3] then the Director of the Graduate Programme in Exercise Science the University of Toronto[4]. On one page, a table of international fitness comparisons showed Swedes at the top of the ranking and Canadians significantly lower in the list; on the other side, an illustration showed that a sixty-year-old active man could be as fit as a sedentary thirty-year-old.[3] When Russ Kisby (an early hire of McKerracher) showed McKerracher the book, the separate he ideas were fused into the famous PSA.[3] The ensuing outcry of alarm and embarrassment triggered a debate in the Parliament of Canada.[3]

ParticipACTION was led by President and CEO Kelly Murumets from 2007 until 2014,[5] when Elio Antunes was named to lead the organization.[6]

Body Break is a series of 90-second television programs dedicated to informing television audiences of ways to "keep fit and have fun". Funded in part by ParticipACTION for only 2 years, the programs are hosted by Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod and air regularly on Canadian television. The programs are designed to briefly introduce tips for healthy living to a television audience.

Both Hal and Joanne are accomplished athletes with backgrounds in sports medicine and nutrition. Johnson, a native of Toronto, Ontario, was an all-star baseball player while he attended the University of Colorado on athletic scholarship, and was among his team leaders in the Big 8 conference in home runs, RBIs, and batting average. He finished his business degree. Formerly an expert golfer, he now plays golf at a recreational level. Joanne was a 4-time Canadian hurdle champion who competed in the Commonwealth Games.[7]

In 1992, a Body Break fitness video was released through Quality Music & Video. It was a smash, selling about 30,000 copies.

The two hosts of Body Break married in 1999, having kept their relationship secret from the public for several years.[8]

The couple participated in the first Amazing Race Canada, being eliminated in the fifth leg.

The couple returned to their BodyBreak roles in 2017 to promote the Netflix original show Santa Clarita Diet in a faux infomercial.[9]

See also[edit]

Lack of physical education

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

Deleted

Seen any kids kicking around a ball out there, today?

Guess not, eh. I see it was pretty fucking cold east of Victoria.

I remember my last soccer practice in Amsterdam, back in April of '69, about a week before my family took me to Canada. As I was saying farewell to my coach, his last words to me were, "I guess you'll take up hockey now?" My response to him was, "Coach, hockey ain't my game." His parting smile was not a joyful one, but rather a grimace that I didn't understand till years later.

50 years have passed, and I never once laced up a pair of skates. I did, however, continue kicking balls on packed snow-covered fields in Calgary, even though there was no one to pass to. Today, I still dream that one day I will get to see a professional  team of comprised of eleven Canadian players compete in a national championship

Speaking of anyone seeing kids kicking around a ball today, what are the CPL clubs up to today? With only 96 days to go until the last Saturday in April (the 27th), has anyone seen the players that have been signed by clubs, thus far, practicing indoors? Each club does have at least a dozen players signed by now, right? And they are practicing right? Have any CPL clubs announced when they are opening their spring training camps? You would think that the coaches would like to get their players together at least six weeks prior to the season openers, which is around the middle of March, which is only about 7 weeks away! One would hope that the players will be ready resemble professional clubs when they step onto the CPL fields 96 days from now.

Hopefully, Voyageurs will start to see some physical signs of life before too long. That is, unless CPL clubs have already flown down to places like Florida and California already. 

11 hours ago, Robert said:

Seen any kids kicking around a ball out there, today?

Guess not, eh. I see it was pretty fucking cold east of Victoria.

I remember my last soccer practice in Amsterdam, back in April of '69, about a week before my family took me to Canada. As I was saying farewell to my coach, his last words to me were, "I guess you'll take up hockey now?" My response to him was, "Coach, hockey ain't my game." His parting smile was not a joyful one, but rather a grimace that I didn't understand till years later.

50 years have passed, and I never once laced up a pair of skates. I did, however, continue kicking balls on packed snow-covered fields in Calgary, even though there was no one to pass to. Today, I still dream that one day I will get to see a professional  team of comprised of eleven Canadian players compete in a national championship

My God....rest assured, you will have something to look forward to this spring. It may not be 100% of what you would like it to be, but it's a start and it will be something.

12 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes. 

With only 95 days to go until the last Saturday in April (the 27th), is there a CPL club that has signed 11 players?

No?

Why not?

Have the CPL clubs finished scraping the bottom of the available Canadian-talent-pool-barrel already?

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

With only 95 days to go until the last Saturday in April (the 27th), is there a CPL club that has signed 11 players?

No?

Why not?

Have the CPL clubs finished scraping the bottom of the available Canadian-talent-pool-barrel already?

Basically you dream of an all Canadian XI so then you can switch it up and tell us how much better it would be if they were all Dutch.  And then any team that does have foreigners will be too foreign, even if they are Dutch.  You just can’t be satisfied - even if you don’t realize it yet. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Basically you dream of an all Canadian XI so then you can switch it up and tell us how much better it would be if they were all Dutch.  And then any team that does have foreigners will be too foreign, even if they are Dutch.  You just can’t be satisfied - even if you don’t realize it yet. 

Excuse me? Can you show me where I told you "how much better it would be if they were all Dutch?"

I do not think that there's much chance of CPL clubs signing any Dutch, or for that matter German, French, Italian or Spanish players in the foreseeable future, unless these player's families have immigrated to Canada and they were unsuccessful at playing in the very lowest-tiers of European domestic leagues.

And by the way, I realized a long time ago that my satisfaction is absolutely not dependent upon Canadian soccer. But then personally, I can't understand see how anyone in their right mind could be satisfied with the state of Canadian men's soccer. Cautiously optimistic and hopeful, maybe. But satisfied? Really? How can you even think such a thing, when there isn't a CPL club that has 11 signed players yet?  

9 hours ago, Robert said:

No?

Why not?

Several of the rosters are completely filled out and all of the rosters have more than 11 players signed. They just haven’t announced them yet. 

Much else is decided too that you are going on and on about. It just hasn’t been released to the public yet. 

But if you can’t come up with these as possibilities yourself rather than assuming the opposite, then I doubt my information will make much impact. 

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Several of the rosters are completely filled out and all of the rosters have more than 11 players signed. They just haven’t announced them yet. 

Much else is decided too that you are going on and on about. It just hasn’t been released to the public yet. 

But if you can’t come up with these as possibilities yourself rather than assuming the opposite, then I doubt my information will make much impact. 

In other words, you are saying that it is already an established fact that either Pacific FC has or has not signed an all-Canadian roster. The only thing is that the club hasn't announced it yet. OOOO WEEEE. The suspense is killing me. Thank goodness Bayern Munchen didn't subject their supporters to that same same level of anxiety with the signing of Alphonso Davies. Do you have any idea when CPL clubs intend to announce:

1) Their full rosters.

2) Their 2019 schedules.

3) The opening dates of their training camps:

Or with only 94 days to go until the last Saturday in April (the 27th), are those announcements also going to remain

TOP SECRET?.

I find it difficult to believe that in this age of social media, that the CPL has been able to swear all these unannounced players they have signed to silence. Kudos to CPL for been able to control today's youth  to such a high standard of integrity.

23 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes. 

I find it difficult to believe that in this age of social media, that the CPL has been able to swear all these unannounced players they have signed to silence. Kudos to CPL for been able to control today's youth  to such a high standard of integrity.

Can you tell me when and where the next practice of any CPL club is being held? I promise I will not reveal the names of any unannounced players that have been signed.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Can you tell me when and where the next practice of any CPL club is being held? I promise I will not reveal the names of any unannounced players that have been signed.

Of course, I’m not going to tell you any of that as once again you’ve shown that telling you anything is purposeless. 

I thought Robert had a little purpose to this thread but its long since gone.  When the roster comes out, he'll continue to complain about the roster, then it'll be something else..ad nauseum.  The day before the first game he;ll be railing that we dont have the programs yet.  Personally, I am so much happier this year than last.  Plenty of good news, but some people can only see the bad. 

Never wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it.  

• 3 weeks later...

The Pacific FC signing of Spain's Victor Blasco makes it official. There will be no Chivas in the CPL.

Obviously, the Times/Colonist needs to get its facts straight, as Roda JC is not an Eredivisie club, let alone a "top-level" Eredivisie club!  

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/pacific-fc-lands-former-national-u-23-star-ben-fisk-1.23627562

logoTimesColonist.png

Pacific FC lands former national U-23 star Ben Fisk

Midfielder Ben Fisk, who has two caps for Canada and played in the Europa Cup last season with Ireland’s Derry City, has been signed by Pacific FC.

But the club is remaining mum on media reports that Pacific FC is on the verge of signing Marcel de Jong, who this week parted ways with the Vancouver Whitecaps of MLS. He has 56 caps for Canada and played six seasons for FC Augsburg of the Bundesliga and also four seasons for top-level Eredivisie club Roda JC in the Netherlands.

article continues below

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Obviously, the Times/Colonist needs to get its facts straight, as Roda JC is not an Eredivisie club, let alone a "top-level" Eredivisie club

They were in the Eredivisie when de Jong played for them, and top-level is describing the league, not the club. 

This would be a really cool idea.  A Chivas or Atletic Bilbao (to take it a little bit further) could be successful, on-field, in a league that has come out and said it is about developing domestic players.  It wouldn't be that much more of a stretch for clubs to take that on.

The way that Jim Brennan always talks about York having it's own identity from Toronto, I think York could have been that club.  Having 9 municipalities, with large populations and their proximity to the most populous city in the country there would be enough prospects. 

Archived