Will the CPL have a Chivas?

Robert

49 minutes ago, Robert said:

The questions then become, do I want to support this level of soccer if only 12 out of the 22 players on the field are Canadian? Do I want to support this level of soccer watching the equivalent of one team that is comprised of foreigners? This is how the CPL clubs will show us their true colours. Does your club bleed "RED, WHITE & TRUE?

There is a flip side to this argument.

Do I want to support the 100 plus Canadians and at least 40 Canadian starters who will  finally have the chance to play pro soccer in their home country?

Or am I going to withdraw my support, because I want a couple more Canadians, and jeopardize the careers of those 100 plus Canadians?

For me the answer is obvious.  Hell yeah I'll support a league with 70% Canadians.  If some teams have more, great.  

But between Euro-snobs who haven't the slightest interest in Canadian soccer and Robert-types who will only support all-Canadian teams, man do we face a lot of challenges in building something that could be a huge leap forward for soccer in this country.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Do I want to support the 100 plus Canadians and at least 40 Canadian starters who will  finally have the chance to play pro soccer in their home country?

Or am I going to withdraw my support, because I want a couple more Canadians, and jeopardize the careers of those 100 plus Canadians?

For me the answer is obvious.  Hell yeah I'll support a league with 70% Canadians.  If some teams have more, great.  

But between Euro-snobs who haven't the slightest interest in Canadian soccer and Robert-types who will only support all-Canadian teams, man do we face a lot of challenges in building something that could be a huge leap forward for soccer in this country.

2424B8D2-B41A-4428-BD5B-0A571C453152.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I guess its a whole lot easier to intentionally misconstrue things I say, than it is to come up with your own valid arguments.

1) I wasn't the one who billed the CPL as being a league "for Canadians, by Canadians." Back where I come from, if one advertises something, they should deliver.

2) Show me one of my posts where I said that I would only support all-Canadian teams? Obviously you can't do it, because I never made such a claim! All I asked was if there going to be a Chivas-like club in the CPL, based on the CPL's billing.

3) My point is, to try get at least ONE additional Canadian player, per team, a starting position over and above the CPL imposed minimum quota of six, which would bring us much closer to the "Hell yeah I'll support a league with 70% Canadians" total that you are looking for.

4) So careful what you post, cause this ''Robert-type" pisses over shortdutchcanucks that are twice your size.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I guess its a whole lot easier to intentionally misconstrue things I say, than it is to come up with your own valid arguments.

There was some tongue-in-cheek hyperbole in my post, I'll give you that.  

The point was meant to be:  Everyone is going to have their own criticisms of the league.  I'd just hate to see those criticisms turn into reasons for serious soccer fans not to support the league.  Growth of the sport in the country is what we all want, even if the vehicle for that growth is not perfect. 

'For Canadians, by Canadians' can mean any number of things.  It is essentially a marketing strategy (hopefully a successful one).  Thankfully it comes with certain guarantees for Canadian content. Whether or not they go far enough is absolutely up for criticism and debate.  

So far the signings of players and hirings of coaches and assistant coaches and goalie coaches have been pretty overwhelmingly Canadian.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

4) So careful what you post, cause this ''Robert-type" pisses over shortdutchcanucks that are twice your size.

I made an enemy!  I finally feel like a legit member of this forum.

4 hours ago, Robert said:

2) Show me one of my posts where I said that I would only support all-Canadian teams? Obviously you can't do it, because I never made such a claim! All I asked was if there going to be a Chivas-like club in the CPL, based on the CPL's billing.

I guess you are right. You never specifically said that. You haven’t exactly been consistent though. A couple times you were allowing as many as 2 foreign players on the field. Another time you said more than 51% would suffice. Then another time you railed on them for guaranteeing by rule only 54.5%.

You editing the manifesto with 54.5% and constantly talking about how the league should deliver on its promises sure sounded like you were implying that only 100% would do. Either way, shortdutchcanuck’s point still holds. If you are going to boycott the league because they cross your line in the sand and play 3 foreign players, you are becoming part of the problem with soccer in this country.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I guess you are right. You never specifically said that. You haven’t exactly been consistent though. A couple times you were allowing as many as 2 foreign players on the field. Another time you said more than 51% would suffice. Then another time you railed on them for guaranteeing by rule only 54.5%.

You editing the manifesto with 54.5% and constantly talking about how the league should deliver on its promises sure sounded like you were implying that only 100% would do. Either way, shortdutchcanuck’s point still holds. If you are going to boycott the league because they cross your line in the sand and play 3 foreign players, you are becoming part of the problem with soccer in this country.

There is quite range between 54.5% and 100%, right? Again, I never once implied that all 7 CPL clubs should field line-ups comprised exclusively of 100% Canadian players. It was the CPL, whose manifesto is "for Canadians, by Canadians," that set the bar at a minimum of 6 Canadian players, or 54.5%. I feel, now that we finally get to set our rules and don't have to adhere to the rules of foreign leagues, that the bar should be set higher, which I have supported with reasons why. Obviously, this has pissed a few people off. No big deal. There are some Voyageurs on this board are so fucking desperate for any kind of league, that they wouldn't care if there were no Canadians players at all. None have said how many Canadians they would like to see on the field. Unfortunately/fortunately, there are not enough of these "types" in Canada to keep a league afloat. I continue to stand by what I said earlier, which is that foreign players who have been rejected elsewhere are not going to improve the level of our young Canadian players. Maybe after year one of the CPL, clubs can begin to send scouts to countries like Guatemala and Honduras and offer talent they have seen opportunities to come and play in Canada.

So let me ask you one questions. Just how "for Canadians, by Canadians" is good enough for you.

1 Canadian out of 11 players?

2 Canadians out of 11 players?

3 Canadians out of 11 players?

4 Canadians out of 11 players? 

5 Canadians out of 11 players? 

6 Canadians out of 11 players? 

7 Canadians out of 11 players? 

8 Canadians out of 11 players? 

9 Canadians out of 11 players? 

10 Canadians out of 11 players?

11 Canadians out of 11 players?

A minority of foreigners in a national league can be a very good thing for developing a countries' player base if those players' talent level is slightly better than the current average talent level of the league. It will help to bring the level of everyone up a notch.  Take any sport and look at the top league in the world in that sport. It's not confined to one nationality. That would be ridiculous/suicide.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

So let me ask you one questions. Just how "for Canadians, by Canadians" is good enough for you.

1 Canadian out of 11 players?

2 Canadians out of 11 players?

3 Canadians out of 11 players?

4 Canadians out of 11 players? 

5 Canadians out of 11 players? 

6 Canadians out of 11 players? 

7 Canadians out of 11 players? 

8 Canadians out of 11 players? 

9 Canadians out of 11 players? 

10 Canadians out of 11 players?

11 Canadians out of 11 players?

6 of 11 is a good start as the league takes stock of where our talent pool stands.   

I would be fine with that expanding to 7 in coming years along with an extra guaranteed Canadian  bench spot.  But personally I enjoy the international flavour of the sport and wouldn't want to see any tighter restrictions than that.

26 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

A minority of foreigners in a national league can be a very good thing for developing a countries' player base if those players' talent level is slightly better than the current average talent level of the league. 

This.

22 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

A minority of foreigners in a national league can be a very good thing for developing a countries' player base if those players' talent level is slightly better than the current average talent level of the league. It will help to bring the level of everyone up a notch.  Take any sport and look at the top league in the world in that sport. It's not confined to one nationality. That would be ridiculous/suicide.

I agree 100% with your assessment that having a minority of foreigners playing in the CPL can be a very good thing for developing Canadian talent, if these foreigners are the right class of players such as you have described. However, with nearly one million unemployed registered soccer players in Canada, I do feel that the emphasis should remain on hiring Canadians players!

https://www.canadasoccer.com/about-s14644

"There are nearly 1,000,000 registered Canada Soccer active participants in Canada within 1,200 clubs that operate in 13 provincial/territorial member associations."

6 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

6 of 11 is a good start as the league takes stock of where our talent pool stands.   

I would be fine with that expanding to 7 in coming years along with an extra guaranteed Canadian  bench spot.  But personally I enjoy the international flavour of the sport and wouldn't want to see any tighter restrictions than that.

This.

So your not really telling me that if I was the owner of a CPL club, you would have no objections to me signing Joey Hot-dog-eater, from But-fuck, Tennessee, instead of your son or grandson, just because you personally enjoy international flavours?

3 hours ago, Robert said:

There are some Voyageurs on this board are so fucking desperate for any kind of league, that they wouldn't care if there were no Canadians players at all. None have said how many Canadians they would like to see on the field.

Name one, dickhead.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I agree 100% with your assessment that having a minority of foreigners playing in the CPL can be a very good thing for developing Canadian talent, if these foreigners are the right class of players such as you have described. However, with nearly one million unemployed registered soccer players in Canada, I do feel that the emphasis should remain on hiring Canadians players!

https://www.canadasoccer.com/about-s14644

"There are nearly 1,000,000 registered Canada Soccer active participants in Canada within 1,200 clubs that operate in 13 provincial/territorial member associations."

That has to be the most misleading statement I have seen in a long time.  How you make the connection from 1mil registered "participants" to 1mil unemployed soccer players is the snake river canyon of logic leaps.  You can make your point (more jobs for CDN players/which I agree with) without using a completely BS argument.  I thought you had been making a a lot of sense for awhile on this thread, dont muck it up now.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

That has to be the most misleading statement I have seen in a long time.  How you make the connection from 1mil registered "participants" to 1mil unemployed soccer players is the snake river canyon of logic leaps.  You can make your point (more jobs for CDN players/which I agree with) without using a completely BS argument.  I thought you had been making a a lot of sense for awhile on this thread, dont muck it up now.  

If I want to play soccer, I should damn well be paid to do so.

Although the following article is a couple of years old, it still interesting to see how many Canadians were under contract with MLS clubs during the 2015-16 season. That year there were a total of 25 Canadians collecting paycheques in the 20-team MLS, or 1.25 Canadian player per club. There were only 5 Canadian players collecting a paycheque with the 17 American MLS clubs, or 0.3 Canadian player per club. So why would any CPL club have more than 1 American player on its roster? Is it because Canadian clubs are so polite?

https://www.wakingthered.com/2015/7/17/8993727/more-canadians-than-ever-before-on-mls-payrolls-cyle-larin-will-johnson-jonathan-osorio

Team Last First Position Base Salary Guarenteed Compensation
DAL Akindele Tesho F $70,000.00 $87,500.00
KC de Jong Marcel D $180,000.00 $191,500.00
MTL Bekker Kyle M $61,765.00 $88,015.00
MTL Bernier Patrice F-M $90,000.00 $135,000.00
MTL Crepeau Maxime GK $60,000.00 $60,000.00
MTL Gagnon-Lapare Jeremy M $60,000.00 $64,000.00
MTL Jackson-Hamel Anthony F $60,000.00 $60,000.00
MTL Tissot Maxim D $60,000.00 $60,000.00
ORL Larin Cyle F $125,000.00 $167,000.00
POR Johnson Will F $314,000.00 $334,333.33
TOR Aparicio Manuel M $60,000.00 $60,000.00
TOR Chapman Jay M $70,000.00 $88,500.00
TOR Hamilton Jordan F $63,000.00 $75,500.00
TOR Mannella Chris M $60,000.00 $60,000.00
TOR Morgan Ashtone D $100,000.00 $112,000.00
TOR Osorio Jonathan M $145,000.00 $152,599.68
TOR Roberts Quillan GK $60,000.00 $60,000.00
VAN Adekugbe Samuel D $60,000.00 $65,000.00
VAN Bustos Marcos M $50,000.00 $54,850.00
VAN Carducci Marco GK $60,000.00 $60,000.00
VAN Clarke Caleb F $60,000.00 $60,000.00
VAN Froese Kianz M-F $60,000.00 $64,500.00
VAN McKendry Ben M $50,000.00 $50,000.00
VAN Teibert Russell M $100,000.00 $167,500.00
NY Ouimette Karl D $60,000.00 $60,000.00

13 hours ago, Robert said:

Why is it Canadian men can't play soccer? Or aside from hockey, any other team sport for that matter?

Yeah, that Steve Nash guy never stood a chance in the NBA. Larry Walker was a bit rubbish at baseball, too. No chance Mark Rypien would ever win the Super Bowl, either.

Personally, I thought that they would only play upwards of 3 Canadians as starters, so I'm perfectly happy with 6 Canadian starters. My understanding of this league is to develop players for the national team. If the CMNT is looking for 23 players for a World Cup, then they would have a player pool of 42 starters from the CPL alone next year. If the CPL grows to 16 teams by 2026, then that starter pool grows to 96 players. That's a lot of competition for 23 spots , not even including those Canadians playing in other leagues around the world. Everyone is going to have to earn their spot, which is how it should be.

22 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yeah, that Steve Nash guy never stood a chance in the NBA. Larry Walker was a bit rubbish at baseball, too. No chance Mark Rypien would ever win the Super Bowl, either.

Normally this dickhead doesn't respond to your kind, but since you outed yourself I'm willing to making an exception.

1) Yes, Mark Rypien was born in Calgary. However, as a 3-year old his family moved to the United States and he has lived there ever since. Does this qualify him a Canadian?

2) Is so, where does that leave Steve Nash, who was born Johannesburg, South Africa. However, as an 18-month old his family moved to Regina.. Does this qualify him a Canadian?

Anyway, while your busy figuring out an intelligent reply, lets look at dickhead's questions question again: "  Why is it Canadian men can't play soccer? Or aside from hockey, any other team sport for that matter?" Note the use of the words "men" and "team." Neither imply an individual athlete.

3) For this point, let's just stick to soccer and two of the sports you picked, baseball and basketball, as the football they play in the NFL doesn't really have a major international competition. If we look at the Olympic and all the medal winning countries in those three sports for men, we see that it has been 115 years since a Canadian men's team has won an Olympic medal. That happened way back in 1904, When Canada won a gold medal in soccer, in an Olympic tournament that only feature two countries: Canada and the United States. So again I ask the questions that no one has been able to come up with any answers to: "  Why is it Canadian men can't play soccer? Or aside from hockey, any other team sport for that matter?"

Olympic Soccer:

Year Hosts Gold Medal Game Bronze Medal Game
Gold Score Silver Bronze Score Fourth Place
1896 Greece 
Athens
No football tournament
Details
France 
Paris
United Kingdom 
Great Britain
(Upton Park F.C.)
[25] 30px-Flag_of_France_%281794%E2%80%931815
France
(USFSA XI)
30px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium
(ULB)
[25] Only three teams entered
Details
United States 
St. Louis
Canada 
Canada
(Galt F.C.)
[26] United States 
United States
(Christian Brothers College)
United States 
United States
(St. Rose Parish)
[26] Only three teams entered
Details
United Kingdom 
London
United Kingdom 
Great Britain
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark
30px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
Details
Sweden 
Stockholm
United Kingdom 
Great Britain
4 – 2 30px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark
Netherlands
9 – 0 Russian Empire 
Finland
Details
Belgium 
Antwerp
30px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium
[27] 30px-Flag_of_Spain_%281785%E2%80%931873%
Spain
Netherlands
[27] 30px-Flag_of_France_%281794%E2%80%931815
France
Details
France 
Paris
30px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png
Uruguay
3 – 0 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
Switzerland
30px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
1 – 1 
aet
Netherlands
Match replay: 3 – 1
Details
Netherlands 
Amsterdam
Uruguay
1 – 1 
aet
30px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
30px-Flag_of_Italy_%281861%E2%80%931946%
Italy
11 – 3 30px-Flag_of_Egypt_%281922%E2%80%931958%
Egypt
Match replay: 2 – 1
1932 United States 
Los Angeles
No football tournament
Details
Germany 
Berlin
30px-Flag_of_Italy_%281861%E2%80%931946%
Italy
2 – 1 
aet
30px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png
Austria
30px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Norway
3 – 2 30px-Flag_of_Poland_%281928%E2%80%931980
Poland
Details
United Kingdom 
London
Sweden
3 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
30px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark
5 – 3 United Kingdom 
Great Britain
Details
Finland 
Helsinki
30px-Flag_of_Hungary_%281949-1956%29.svg
Hungary
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
Sweden
2 – 0 West Germany
Germany
Details
Australia 
Melbourne
30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_%28dark_ve
Soviet Union
1 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
30px-Flag_of_Bulgaria_%281948-1967%29.sv
Bulgaria
3 – 0 30px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India
Details
Italy 
Rome
30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
3 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark
30px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary
2 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Details
Japan 
Tokyo
Hungary
2 – 1 30px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czechoslovakia
Germany
Germany[19]
3 – 1 30px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Republic.sv
United Arab Republic
Details
Mexico 
Mexico City
Hungary
4 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Bulgaria_%281967-1971%29.sv
Bulgaria
30px-Flag_of_Japan_%281870%E2%80%931999%
Japan
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
Mexico
Details
Germany 
Munich
30px-Flag_of_Poland_%281928%E2%80%931980
Poland
2 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary
30px-Flag_of_East_Germany.svg.png
East Germany 
Soviet Union
2 – 2[28] 
aet

Details
Canada 
Montreal
30px-Flag_of_East_Germany.svg.png
East Germany
3 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Poland_%281928%E2%80%931980
Poland
Soviet Union
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281968%E2%80%931992
Brazil
Details
Soviet Union 
Moscow
30px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czechoslovakia
1 – 0 30px-Flag_of_East_Germany.svg.png
East Germany
Soviet Union
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
Details
United States 
Los Angeles
30px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281968%E2%80%931992
Brazil
Yugoslavia
2 – 1 30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Details
South Korea 
Seoul
30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Soviet Union
2 – 1 
aet
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281968%E2%80%931992
Brazil
West Germany
West Germany
3 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Details
Spain 
Barcelona
30px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
3 – 2 30px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png
Poland
30px-Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png
Ghana
1 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia
Details
United States 
Atlanta
30px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png
Nigeria
3 – 2 30px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
30px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
5 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png
Portugal
Details
Australia 
Sydney
30px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png
Cameroon
2 – 2 
asdet
30px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
30px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
Chile
2 – 0 30px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
5 – 3 on penalty shootout
Details
Greece 
Athens
Argentina
1 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Paraguay.svg.png
Paraguay
30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
1 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Iraq_%282004%E2%80%932008%2
Iraq
Details
China 
Beijing
Argentina
1 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png
Nigeria
Brazil
3 – 0 30px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium
Details
United Kingdom 
London
30px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
Mexico
2 − 1 30px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
30px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea
2 − 0 30px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
Details
Brazil 
Rio de Janeiro
Brazil
1 – 1 
aet
30px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
30px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png
Nigeria
3 − 2 30px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.png
Honduras
5 – 4 on penalty shootout
Details
Japan 
Tokyo

Olympic Baseball:

Details
Spain 
Barcelona
30px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba
11–1 30px-Flag_of_Chinese_Taipei_for_Olympic_
Chinese Taipei
30px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
8–3 30px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Details
United States 
Atlanta
Cuba
13–9 30px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
30px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
10–3 30px-Flag_of_Nicaragua.svg.png
Nicaragua
Details
Australia 
Sydney
United States
4–0 30px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba
South Korea
3–1 30px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
Details
Greece 
Athens
Cuba
6–2 30px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia
30px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
11–2 30px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
Details
China 
Beijing
South Korea
3–2 30px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba
United States
8–4 30px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
Not included in the Olympic program
Details
Japan 
Tokyo

Olympic Basketball:

Details
Nazi Germany 
Berlin
30px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281912-1
United States
19–8 30px-Canadian_Red_Ensign_%281921%E2%80%9
Canada
30px-Flag_of_Mexico_%281934-1968%29.svg.
Mexico
26–12 30px-Flag_of_Poland_%281928%E2%80%931980
Poland
Details
United Kingdom 
London
United States
65–21 30px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281889%E2%80%931960
Brazil
52–47 30px-Flag_of_Mexico_%281934-1968%29.svg.
Mexico
Details
Finland 
Helsinki
United States
36–25 30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_%281924%E2
Soviet Union
Uruguay
68–59 30px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
Details
Australia 
Melbourne
United States
89–55 30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_%28dark_ve
Soviet Union
Uruguay
71–62 30px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
Details
Italy 
Rome
United States
No playoffs 30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_%28dark_ve
Soviet Union
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281960%E2%80%931968
Brazil
No playoffs 30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Details
Japan 
Tokyo
United States
73–59 30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_%28dark_ve
Soviet Union
30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281960%E2%80%931968
Brazil
76–60 30px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico_%281952%E2%80%9
Puerto Rico
Details
Mexico 
Mexico City
United States
65–50 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
Soviet Union
70–53 30px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281968%E2%80%931992
Brazil
Details
West Germany 
Munich
Soviet Union
51–50 30px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Cuba
66–65 30px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Details
Canada 
Montreal
United States
95–74 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
Soviet Union
100–72 30px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
Details
Soviet Union 
Moscow
Yugoslavia
86–77 30px-Olympic_flag.svg.png
Italy
Soviet Union
117–94 30px-Olympic_flag.svg.png
Spain
Details
United States 
Los Angeles
United States
96–65 30px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
Yugoslavia
88–82 30px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
Details
South Korea 
Seoul
30px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Soviet Union
76–63 30px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281946-1992%29.
Yugoslavia
United States
78–49 30px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia
Details
Spain 
Barcelona
United States
117–85 30px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png
Croatia