TFC 2 2018 season

to70

They seem to be getting the priorities straight and tightening things up in the back.  Onkony and Bjortheun are decent although Bjorntheum is not really a prospect anymore at 23.  Dunn and Boskovic are getting better.  Mino is alot better than Waja, and his penalty was a harsh call.  Overall a nice performance condsidering NYRB's vaunted academy/youth system and that they are at the top of the table in the east.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

TFC II's game against Charlotte this Saturday the 19th was bounced around to right out of town!  

Originally scheduled for BMO Field the night after the MLS game on Friday.  

Moved to Monarch Park (can lightning strike twice?  doubtful they could pull in 4100 students again on a  Saturday night) then cancelled on Ticketmaster. 

Latest news on the USL website is it's been moved to Charlotte where TFC II lost in their official road game 2-0 back in March.  

Oh well the north-south subway isn't running this weekend anyway so I may drive in the other direction and catch a League 1 Ontario game with my new cataract-free eyes.   

Sooooo... we just lost 5-4 to ATL II.

The good: We scored goals. Not 1... not 2... not 3... BUT 4! That's more goals scored in one game than we've scored in total all season so far!

The bad: We let in 5. That pretty much sums up our season so far.

Interestingly TFC II played their TFC III keeper,  my namesake Gian-Luca Catalano. Didn't have a chance on the two free kick goals ATL @ scored (by Mike Ambrose who has played a dozen games at the MLS level). Romario Williams also scored for ATL 2 (the Jamaican national teamer who scored the winner against Canada in the Gold Cup last year).

Luca Uccello got 2 of TFC 2's goals (and I think took the team scoring lead in the process) with Akinola and Daniels getting the other. Daniels assisted on what was tap-in for Akinola and then drew a PK with an individual dribbled and scored on the subsequent PK. Akinola assisted on both of Uccello's goals.

I'm assuming Ben Spencer has been called up to the big team this Friday to help cover at the striker position with both Altidore & Giovinco out

• 2 weeks later...

May 26, 2018   Toronto FC II   2     Tampa Bay Rowdies    4   

Attendance listed on the USL site as 141    (one hundred and forty one)   on this beautiful afternoon.  

My take on the game (uhhhh awkward...) will in theory show up on Waking The Red in a day or so.    

I have to write a different recap on my own site.  

Tomorrow I'm off to League 1 Ontario Cup game matches.  WTR has same rules for them too!  

Could be midweek before I'll have anything on my own site...

Well the team hasnt won, but if you look at the overall goal of moving players on to the first team, it hasnt been too bad.  Fraser and Telfer are useful subs/bench players with potential.  Daniels, Dunn, Boskovic and Romeo are getting lots of minutes and might be ready to make the jump sooner rather than later.  Maybe the MLS "farm clubs" will move on down to USL 3 when it starts.  

Yeah Daniels, Dunn-Johnson, and Noble Okello Ayo are away at the U-23 Toulon Tournament and got Canada into first place in their group.  I haven't read anyone complaining about the good showing of Canada.  Where do those players come from?   Club teams like TFC II.  Good enough for the Olympic team.  

Very hard to judge, but players have moved on to the big club.  It has to be like walking a tight rope.  Vanney/management want you to feature players they have brought in (draft picks/signings) to evaluate them and you need to bring academy kids along to uncover any gems there.  Plus the fans want you to win games or else you get labelled a "dumpster fire" with no real purpose and the whole thing gets shit canned or outsourced to the US.  Here's hoping TFC2 can win a few games at least.

Oh and more good news, a new non-canadian keeper (spanish) is coming to town.  UT will be able to tell us more about the Spanish clubs (even a Basque club?) he has been with, but most recently with RGV toros in USL.  

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/06/07/toronto-fc-ii-sign-borja-angoitia

Bent had too much interference from the first team. Was not able to really work on development due to first team players getting first dibs on playing and they were not always happy to play down. Bad situation for any coach. Guyot did not have to contend with that as much and still did very poorly...

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

they were down 3-1 at the half....now 3-3. Great goals from Boskovic (made up for a goal) and Hamilton with a screamer!

And he was unlucky not to get the winner with a header off the post. The goal he got was incredible technique on his part.

Also Telfer's free kick and set piece skills were a bit of a revelation. I only saw the second half but TFC2 were easily the better team in that half.

Gareth Wheeler is one hell of a homer play by play man though - up there with Fred Cusick of Boston Bruin infamy

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt USL basically say awhile back that D-3 USL would be the new home for the MLS "farm team" style operations.  

didn't hear that explicitly. Heard it stated that it may be a better option. But not which teams.

Archived