TFC 2 2018 season

to70

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

WOOOO!!! Won their first game of the season today.  No help from the big club (Hamilton, Morgan, etc), all prospects and youngsters beat a decent Nashville team that has a playoff spot.  Serbly got a nice goal and won the penalty (converted by Ucello).  Biggest surprise has to be the clean sheet.  WOOOO, now we just have to close on Tulsa to get out of the league cellar.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if people are following the USL D3 saga that TFC II is part of, but it looks like the 2019 launch will happen, so Lamport will continue to have an MLS aligned tenant no doubt with some exclusivity clause written into the lease.

https://www.usld3.com/news_article/show/941608

From wading through Nipun Chopra's recent tweets it looks like the D3 sanctioning application has been made in the past week with 10 franchises listed only six of which have been publicly announced so far. They needed 8 to meet the requirements, so there had been some speculation that TFC II could go into a hiatus next year due to lack of numbers for USL D3.

There could be rival NISA and NPSL pro applications apparently but multiple leagues can be accepted at this level and the USSF tends to favour MLS and the USL in its decision making, so I doubt that matters all that much.

I don't know if TFC II were bullied into becoming a founding member of USL Division 3 but the selling point was that ALL the MLS 'B', '2', and 'II' teams were also supposed to play at that level and I have not read anything about any other team reporting that they're joining.   

If they have a minimum of ten teams that will mean a lot of extra travel for them to fly to Arizona multiple times a year for games.  I don't think the opponent matters---glamourous NY Red Bulls II never drew more than Bethlehem but 'selling' the opponent South Georgia Tormenta FC and Greenville Triumph SC will be even harder although drawing 200 fans a game it can't get much lower.   

Maybe rebrand the team as the New Rochester Rhinos and play more games there?  

If it doesnt go why couldnt TFC2 just have another year in USL while they sort it out??  Will guys like Hamilton, Morgan, Akinola, Daniels (end of the bench MLS types) get much of a workout in USL3?  Overall the youngsters TFC usually run out wont get beat up playing old pros on the more ambitious USL teams, but keeping fringe MLS sharp might not be much of an option in DIV3.  

Dont think there is anything left to buy where the Rhinos are concerned, so if Rochester was on the agenda as more than just a way to help USL keep a foothold in the stadium there, they would probaly already be doing it for the complete season, basically.

Think they are probably very keen to keep Lamport out of reach for CanPL, so there's no danger of them folding the reserve team or running with an American affiliate instead. If so, CanPL is serving a useful function to keep them on their toes where developing homegrown players are concerned, because it's very important from a CMNT standpoint to have that level of investment in player development in the GTA even if that's the last thing some people will want to admit.

The Whitecaps have said they would reevaluate their position when USL D3 emerges, so that's one to keep an eye on as well. With a rival domestic pro league as part of the mix now there is more reason for the Whitecaps to get the prospects they rate highly signed on pro contracts. The stadium in Langley is probably potentially viable again in terms of the lower set of sanctioning standards involved. Only drawback for them is the travel would be even more drastic than for TFC unless Seattle and Portland made similar moves.

Barn burner on now, TFC2 tied 2-2 with Indy Eleven.   Endo on a free kick and Hamilton with a 30 yard screamer.  TFC went down 2 and fought back hard.  Indy announcers are very surprised with TFC and have commented on how well the teenagers are doing against seasoned pros.  They might even get there first road points this season.  As indy are in the playoffs this has been a real positive game so far at half time.  

Game ended 3-2 for Indy. Do Indy normally play their games in the gigantic Indianapolis Colts stadium? It didn't look like the crowd size was remotely near large enough to warrant the venue. I am amazed that either Endoh or Hamilton could shoot straight with the starting change of colour of the turf in front of the goal. Like shooting into suddenly blue grass.

Hadn't realized Jack McInerny was now in the USL playing for Indy

Its where they regularly play and the announcers said it was new turf and the lines had just be re done, and they might go with pink soccer lines if the yellow ones didnt stand out. UGGHHH!!!  They have Jack Mac, Justin Braun, Feira/Ouimette from the deltas last year, Venegas from Minn...alot of MLS/NASL talent on there.  Even so TFC gave them a good run and had them on their heels for long stretches of the game.  

WOOO!!  Another big win on the road against top team Louisville.   Not sure if its just sticking Endoh (2 more goals tonight) in or the new coach has put something in the water but they are playing some good attacking soccer.  I guess I have to eat Crow, I didnt expect much from Endoh.  Malik Johnson was making some nice runs and had a goal and i think 2 assists.  Srebly, Hundal Johnson and Endoh had some nice interplay.  So many games they have kept it close and had the wheels fall of in the last 30min.  Tonight it went their way.  

They kept Hamilton on the bench, which is good in case he is needed in TFC's mid week game in portland.  

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

WOOO!!  Another big win on the road against top team Louisville.   Not sure if its just sticking Endoh (2 more goals tonight) in or the new coach has put something in the water but they are playing some good attacking soccer.  I guess I have to eat Crow, I didnt expect much from Endoh.  Malik Johnson was making some nice runs and had a goal and i think 2 assists.  Srebly, Hundal Johnson and Endoh had some nice interplay.  So many games they have kept it close and had the wheels fall of in the last 30min.  Tonight it went their way.  

They kept Hamilton on the bench, which is good in case he is needed in TFC's mid week game in portland.  

I believe the Hamilton they left on the bench was Malyk Hamilton (#51), not Jordan (#22). There wouldn't be much point in resting Jordan Hamilton for a game in Louisville and then make him fly across the US to play the next night. I suspect Jordan is in Portland already with the rest of the big team as he was not dressed for this game. My guess is that Fraser is there as well.

Surprisingly impressive win for TFC2 on the road though! Endoh is finally proving to be a capable scorer at this level.

Ottawa Fury took a five hour bus trip to Toronto tonight.  They beat TFC II 4-3 (usually no big deal as TFC are the last place team but as the MLS team is not playing this weekend because of the international break,  they dropped six MLS-calibre starters....

Nick Hagglund, Jason Hernandez, Ashton Morgan in the backline.

Jon Bakero and Ryan Telfer in the midfield and Jordan Hamilton at forward.  

A crowd of 207 from the USL website  (school is back in so no children were here).  TFC had one of their supporter groups show up tonight who left at 65 minutes so they could stand in the parking lot behind the iron fencing and the south end goal and chant.  Fury had supporters too like family and friends of local players David Monsalve and Adonijah Reid... also possibly from locals Nana Attakora and Chris Mannella.  

Some of their goals...wow....Cristian Portilla scored directly from a cornerkick.  (I don't remember seeing that in person since I saw Diego Maradona {yes the famous one and not his namesake nephew} score in a special exhibition game for Toronto Italia).   Kevin Oliveira took a 30 yard freekick from the left that had Thomas Meilleur-Giguere in a crowd in the box head in a 6 yarder right down the middle.  How did the ball find him with more than a dozen players standing two yards from each other?   And Adonijah Reid scored the winner at 76 minutes on a header  after captain Carl Haworth ran down the wing and centered a cross.  

One more chance to see them at Lamport Stadium in three weeks probably without the MLS players loaded on to TFC II.  

Now five hours to get back to Ottawa and prepare for tomorrow night's exhibition game against Montreal Impact.  

This is in the Ottawa CPL forum.  I'll have a less Fury flavoured story in Waking The Red soon and something on my own webpage next week.  

Archived