TFC 2 2018 season

to70

The future make up of USL D3 is slowly becoming clearer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_Division_III

Richmond Kickers will also self-relegate from USL, while the Rochester Rhinos and Orland City B will come out of hiatus in 2020 and 2019, respectively. If Nipun Chopra is to be believed, there should be at least one more team to be announced soon as there were ten included in the sanctioning submission to the USSF.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Anyone know what happened to,the Canadian keepers on TFC 2? They don't seem to play them anymore but the foreign keepers seem to give up at least one stinker per game and I don't recall Cavaluzzo doing that. 3-3 now with 18 minutes left, Hamilton set up by Srbely for goal 3.

Cavalluzzo ruptured his achilles

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/5/15/17355850/toronto-fc-ii-keeper-angelo-cavalluzzo-out-long-term-with-ruptured-achilles-usl-injury-report

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Thanks - that injury happened awhile ago but I never heard about it at the time. A shame for him and the club because from what I have seen they have badly missed him.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The future make up of USL D3 is slowly becoming clearer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_Division_III

Richmond Kickers will also self-relegate from USL, while the Rochester Rhinos and Orland City B will come out of hiatus in 2020 and 2019, respectively. If Nipun Chopra is to be believed, there should be at least one more team to be announced soon as there were ten included in the sanctioning submission to the USSF.

Hopefully they will get a couple of teams closer to the Tuscon, Arizona franchise, as right now it appears to be a predominantly Eastern-based league with one team way the hell out west, which isn't the greatest travel situation for 3rd division level teams (particularly Tuscon).

It will be interesting to see what the level of play of this league is vs. the CPL in what will be the inaugural season will be. I would like to think both Fraser and Hamilton next year need to stick full time with the senior team (both look "too good" for USL IMO, never mind Division 3) but at the same time I don't expect them to take the lion's share of playing time from Bradley and Altidore by next season (with Champions league again there will be plenty of playing opportunities for  all I suppose). If they explore loan options to give them (or other players signed to the first team) playing time, one wonders what will end up being the better option in terms of playing level.

• 2 weeks later...

Another loss tonight 0-1, but no barn burner like last game against the fury.  Edgar and TMG looked good, but werent really pushed.  TFC2 didnt generate much excitment.  

Is it just me or do you guys miss Cavalluzzo more and more.  Why are we finishing the last few games of the season playing Patterson-sewell?? 31 years old and seems to have anger issues.  The team is going down a level USL, he wont be back, why not bring up someone from the academy for a couple starts with the future in mind?  Sewell had a go at Reid after a pretty obvious penalty call.  Maybe having a young porous defense has used up all his patience.  

I just sent in a game report of last night's game to Waking The Red. 

Six Canadian starters for TFC II and eight for Ottawa.  That's better than even CPL regulations once it gets going.  

Yeah Patterson-Sewell and back up for last night was Borja Angoitia are both experienced imports.  I suppose keeping them is for quick callup if required by the MLS team.  The third is Spencer King (2001) now in his second year with the TFC program.  He is originally from West Ottawa SC.  I saw him in at least three L1O TFC III games in August.  

I could see Cavalluzzo watching the game from the stands last night (strong binoculars)  with Rocco Romeo and Julian Dunn-Johnson.  Cavalluzzo is still injured from what I've heard.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 7:48 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Latest opponent for TFC II next year appears to be AS Roma-Riverside:

https://www.soctakes.com/2018/09/27/as-roma-usl-cali/

which would be a club in California linked to AS Roma of Serie A in ownership terms.

Turns out that group didn't make it at least for 2019 anyway and the latest franchises were Lansing Ignition and FC Dallas II. The league will launch with 10 franchises and will have a 28 game regular season:

https://www.uslleagueone.com/news_article/show/964558

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_USL_League_One_season

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Earlier this week forward Malik Johnson signed for Tampa Bay Rowdies.  He is age 20 and had made 75 appearances for TFC II between 2015 and 2018.  5'9" says Wikipedia.  

A few months ago midfielder Luca Uccello signed for Memphis 901.  He is age 21 and made 77 appearances for TFC II between 2015 and 2018.  5'8" says Wikipedia.    

Tampa Bay plays in USL Championship (renamed from USL).  Memphis is a new franchise just starting in USL Championship. 

It's TFC II  that are self relegating to the new ten team USL League One.   

Interesting if they think this is an easier way to make it to MLS by playing at a higher level but cutting ties to the TFC organization which I expect will still promote guys into their MLS team directly.  

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

Earlier this week forward Malik Johnson signed for Tampa Bay Rowdies.  He is age 20 and had made 75 appearances for TFC II between 2015 and 2018.  5'9" says Wikipedia.  

A few months ago midfielder Luca Uccello signed for Memphis 901.  He is age 21 and made 77 appearances for TFC II between 2015 and 2018.  5'8" says Wikipedia.    

Tampa Bay plays in USL Championship (renamed from USL).  Memphis is a new franchise just starting in USL Championship. 

It's TFC II  that are self relegating to the new ten team USL League One.   

Interesting if they think this is an easier way to make it to MLS by playing at a higher level but cutting ties to the TFC organization which I expect will still promote guys into their MLS team directly.  

If they didnt get promoted playing with TFC2, dropping down a notch wont help them any.  They both need higher quality competition to develop and grow.  So few Usl level kids make it up to MLS, making the jump from USL2 will be even tougher.  

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

CPL has really lost out on some exciting Canadian players to USL. Not just these two but Riggi to Phoenix as well.

Pasher also resigned with Indy 11.  But arguably the best 2 CDN in USL, Bekker went to Forge and Crepeau is likely to go to another MLS club.  

19 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

CPL has really lost out on some exciting Canadian players to USL. Not just these two but Riggi to Phoenix as well.

On the plus side it means more Canadians all around will be playing pro. Plus it leaves the opportunity for more Canadians to come to CPL year after year and have the quality improve year by year

Archived