Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caps win again on the road. Brilliant second half. Lots of depth on this squad. After the half I wanted Robbo to flip Mutch and Felipe, which he did—essentially—when he brought on Ghazal. We need someone like Felipe further up the pitch who can hold and pivot and pass to the wings. His ball to Kei for the winner was perfect. Davies comes on and makes immediate impact. The kid is only getting better, and quickly. Exciting to witness his growth. 

During the broadcast early in the 2nd half the commentators mentioned something about two prospects with the US U14's and U15's over in Europe, are those Whitecaps kids? I was half paying attention so not sure what they were talking about...

13 hours ago, jpg75 said:

During the broadcast early in the 2nd half the commentators mentioned something about two prospects with the US U14's and U15's over in Europe, are those Whitecaps kids? I was half paying attention so not sure what they were talking about...

Pretty sure they were talking about the Caps’ residency teams who are playing in tournaments overseas 

If that had been Whitecaps on the Galaxy winning goal, it would have been video reviewed and called back. First, a clear foul on the lead up. Next. Ibra clearly offside. 

It is clear that some narratives are to MLS' liking, in the tradition of showtime, and that certain teams and players won't get unfair goals called back. Whereas Whitecaps do not make up part of that privileged group where we get to score offside and fouling, in the face of VAR. 

I watched the Caps match tonight, very uninspiring against what looks to be a poor RSL side, Davies played well until he was moved to LB where he was just ok, maybe could have marked better on their 2nd, DeJong didn't do much wrong while he was on the pitch, Davies and him have a good understanding, not a great match!

Caps played well in the first half, but failed to take their chances and were wasteful in key attacking positions. Final ball was glaringly missing. RSL took their lone chance, and then dared the Caps to break them down which...obviously didn't happen and doesn't happen with this team.

The ability to create chances from the middle third of the field against tight defences continues to elude Robinson's Caps post-very good-Pedro Morales. Results like tonight's, and the playoff series versus Portland in 2015 and Seattle last year, will continue to re-occur unless a DP calibre chance creator is brought in, or Robinson is axed

2 hours ago, gator said:

I watched the Caps match tonight, very uninspiring against what looks to be a poor RSL side, Davies played well until he was moved to LB where he was just ok, maybe could have marked better on their 2nd, DeJong didn't do much wrong while he was on the pitch, Davies and him have a good understanding, not a great match!

I'm not sure that there is any "maybe" about that. To be fair to him, I don't think they should be playing him at left back, or rather, that at his age & experience level there, he's bound to make mistakes like that if they are going to spot-duty him like that. A 17 year old who spends most of the time as an attacker isn't likely going to master a left fullback position any time soon. I wish they would just let him concentrate on honing  his attacking skills.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm not sure that there is any "maybe" about that. To be fair to him, I don't think they should be playing him at left back, or rather, that at his age & experience level there, he's bound to make mistakes like that if they are going to spot-duty him like that. A 17 year old who spends most of the time as an attacker isn't likely going to master a left fullback position any time soon. I wish they would just let him concentrate on honing  his attacking skills.

I didn't want to be too harsh on the kid, you are right, it was poor marking although there were other mistakes on the goal and I wouldn't pin it all on him!

The whitecaps can’t attack down the middle. If they can’t do that, then they need someone who can distribute the ball better than the mids they had out there. I know I sound like a biased Canadian fan, but I think Tiebert would have made a difference in this game. The caps had some control of the ball, but they were to slow with it to find their wingers in space. 

That being said, they still could have won if the final ball had been better. Davies wasn’t quite dialed in for his crosses.

Seems like coaches told Davies to keep crosses on the ground in 2nd half after some wayward crosses in the 1st. Obviously he needs to practice crossing while running full tilt (which is crazy fast!) and maybe it’s just a matter of him not trying to hammer the cross in as he seems to want to do, and go for accuracy over power on the cross. Maybe if they can coach him to think of it more like a pass he’d do better as his passing at speed is excellent and seems odd that it all goes wrong when he crosses.. at least its something he can easily improve on just through practice.

I've essentially given up on this team while Robinson is there. The twenty minutes I watched last night was predictably terrible. I've little doubt that Robinson can drag this team to fourth and a first-round playoff exit in a bad Western conference but his teams are unwatchable.

8 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I've essentially given up on this team while Robinson is there. The twenty minutes I watched last night was predictably terrible. I've little doubt that Robinson can drag this team to fourth and a first-round playoff exit in a bad Western conference but his teams are unwatchable.

I don't watch all of their matches, I mostly tune in to see the CanCon, that match yesterday was quite poor from both sides, I don't see much creativity in this side, Robinson has to be responsible partly by the way he sets them up and what's with Davies at Left Back?

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

There was little  attacking chemistry between Mezquida and Kamara.

yeah, Mezquida, whom I really like for his untiring engine, was poor on the night. Kamara was lively enough. As for the DeJong sub, unless Marcel was really struggling out there--he seemed fine--I would have brought Shea in on the left and subbed Mezquida out, and pushed Davies up with Kamara. They have real chemistry and I think that we might have been able to get something going. Ibini disappeared in the second half. Techera came on and got some stuff happening, but this was a disjointed effort in the second half. We still not have a playmaker in the middle of the pitch. Reyna, when healthy, will be critical in that role. Not convinced, yet, that Mutch is much of a creator. 

On another night against a similar type of opponent at their place, if the Caps had better service from the flanks in that first half they probably would have poached the goals they needed for another road win.  Their midfield pressure did its job in generating turnovers but they couldn't turn them into real chances.  That's life.

Even when Reyna was healthy earlier on Robbo didn't play him in a central attacking role supporting Kamara like he chose with Mezquida last night.  Perhaps the gaffer isn't seeing chemistry between them in training.  Plus, Kamara's going to be seeing the vast majority of minutes this season, so Blondell (who, from several accounts, had good chemistry with the Peruvian when they played together in preseason) will be left with limited time.  Considering those things, it makes me wonder if even when healthy Reyna might not feature as much as some people may hope.

The big thing is to be getting all the points at home. Next Friday, they get an expansion team coming off a shellacking, and then their next home game after that is against this same RSL, a team they should beat.  Conservatively, they should get at least four points but if they get two or less against these two opponents, that would be disappointing. 

Tiebert had a decent game, clean in possession, made a number of third line passes. That front 5 had nothing going forward other than Davies cutting inside and letting off a shot. Techera has been a dumpster file. LOL Hurtado. Felipe could barely hit a pass in the final third to break them down.

It was a very difficult game to watch. Multiple players going for the same ball and no one getting possession. I think hurtado and Felipe did this a few times and of course waston and marinovic on the 2nd goal. Very disconnected. I didn’t like Carl’s subs at all, Tiebert was one of the better players in possession and like many have said Davies needs to stay in an offensive role. I would like to see him in the center attacking midfield role. His dribbling in tight spaces has gotten so good and he’s got really good strength for protecting the ball. I’m just not sure if his passing is good enough but I’m confident it will improve.

What I find most shocking is that the team seemed to have great cohesion at the beginning of the year, yet it has gotten worse as the season has gone on? I know its early, but that seems to be the trend with the Caps. The players start off knowing what to do, then they start listening to Robbo and get confused...

I used to be a Robbo fan. I thought the players weren’t the right players these last couple years. But this year i think he got the player selection pretty bang on. Some good possession players like Tiebert, Juarez, Filipe, and even Mutch. As well, Davies and Kamari are looking great when they get the chance. But still the team cant keep possession. I think if Robbo let the players manage themselves it might turn out better.  

I have not watched the 3-0 first half debacle, but did see the weird formation and the second goal highlight when the 'Caps defence backed in and in and allowed an easy shot. Has Robinson lost the script for real this time? Does the score represent the play on the field. It looks ominous at the half. Two reds? Good calls? Bad? It was already 3-0. Cheers!

Archived