Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raised hands to push someone that is coming towards them away, apparently Juarez was sent off for his language. Guess the ref saw the replay and realized it didn't merit a red. Reyna is a bit more silly but really its handbags and yellows all round. Definitely as much from the home side. This is why I'd have no problem with sin bins and have had no problem with sin bins for the best part of two decades. Surprised it still isn't considered. Why ruin the entire game for something that stupid. Letter of the law and all that though...

Fun facts about that game:

-We managed 11 turnovers in the SKC final third while having less than 3% of total game time with possession in said area.

-Brek Shea was the only Whitecap that completed more passes in the final third to his teammates than to the other team (Davies gets second place with 2 turnovers/2 completed passes).

-Marinovic had the most completed passes of any Whitecap.

-Our 20% possession would have been somewhere between  16-17% if you discount the time the ball was in Marinovic's hands.

-We completed 19 passes in the 28 in-game minutes between the 36th and 54th minute.

Russell got a deserved yellow and i would have given Reyna a yellow too just cuz Russell was losing his shit - they cancel one another out. Ghazal and Juarez both deserved reds for hands to the face, the VAR missed Ghazal's foul completely.

8 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

BTW the Caps were totally outclassed up until that point. They had one great chance by Reyna who got robbed and then it was long balls to the opposition CB's for most of the rest of the half.

Forget about the handbags nonsense.  This team was outclassed and outcoached prior to the sendings off.  In the words of the World Cup colour commentary of John Collins:  "Pooooorrr!"

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Forget about the handbags nonsense.  This team was outclassed and outcoached prior to the sendings off.  In the words of the World Cup colour commentary of John Collins:  "Pooooorrr!"

Lol - I thought he was a poooooooorrr colour commentator but I did enjoy how often he used to say that.

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not that these stats always mean a whole lot, but Juarez got the lowest Opta stat I have ever seen by any MLS player so far, -559 and he didn't even play a full half. Ouch!

When you consider that a straight red card is worth -360 points on its own, it means he was -199 prior to his sending off.  Ouch!!!  #biggerbustthandollyparton

I really do not feel like not going to see the Caps when I am in Vancouver this summer, it is not an option for me.

But I do hope the FO wakes up and reacts sooner rather than later, since it seems clear that the squad is uncomfortable on the pitch together, that the manager is losing control of the dressing room. This is not entirely surprising, since he is so unloyal to so many players and has them take the fall for all his errors. The way he so easily dumps players who would help sustain team spirit and club mentality. He's cavalier (thinking of Ousted, Parker, Bolaños even), and the consequence is a troupe with tendency towards mercenary mentality.

But players can be turned around, as is so often demonstrated, by a change, and this club is begging for one.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I really do not feel like not going to see the Caps when I am in Vancouver this summer, it is not an option for me.

But I do hope the FO wakes up and reacts sooner rather than later, since it seems clear that the squad is uncomfortable on the pitch together, that the manager is losing control of the dressing room. This is not entirely surprising, since he is so unloyal to so many players and has them take the fall for all his errors. The way he so easily dumps players who would help sustain team spirit and club mentality. He's cavalier (thinking of Ousted, Parker, Bolaños even), and the consequence is a troupe with tendency towards mercenary mentality.

But players can be turned around, as is so often demonstrated, by a change, and this club is begging for one.

Big game next week, at home, vs a team they should beat.  However, the opponent will be playing Robboball against them which will be a serious threat because the Caps have no idea of how to break down a defensively organized side:  they don't have a coordinated team attacking plan that goes beyond simply crossing the ball into the box.

If that game goes pear shaped and the FO opts for change, they need to look beyond their coaching staff for a replacement.  I hear Zambrano's free:  with hiring him, if nothing else, he might be able to make Davies' (final?) year in Vancouver a good one for him, the club, and (most importantly), the fans.

I think people do not realize how closely aligned the current BCSA is with the current CSA, their tweets about Herdman and the decision to replace Octavio were adamant to the point of looking like paid shills.

I am saying this as I believe Lenarduzzi and others at Caps tend to respect the mood at the BCSA, they rarely row in another direction.

Hard to argue that a match is a must win this early in the season, considering the club's current place in the standings, but tonight's home game vs RSL falls close to this territory for Robbo.  And it's against an opponent likely to be playing Robboball, and the Caps without Kamara.  Who are ya, Caps?

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Had to argue that a match is a must win this early in the season, considering the club's current place in the standings, but tonight's home game vs RSL falls close to this territory for Robbo.  And it's against an opponent likely to be playing Robboball, and the Caps without Kamara.  Who are ya, Caps?

Win with Robbo getting it right, or win over and above the coach. Doesn't matter to me, really. 

I am all for the Caps turning it around. But if they don't, let the results help the FO and Lenarduzzi decide for a change.

28 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Just saw the boxscore for the game tonight and noticed Techera picked up his second yellow after scoring on a PK. Did he forget he was on a yellow and take his shirt off in celebration?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/techera-blondell-lead-whitecaps-win-real-salt-lake/

Holy fuck, he did. What kind of an idiot do you have to be to that?

Yup! Lots of stupid behaviour from some of the Caps lately. Waston lost his cool again tonight and got a yellow for his outburst. Robbo needs to preach smart football. Ghazal looked pissed off at Techera for the second yellow. Waston, if he is going to be captain, has to smarten up. Hell, he has to smarten up no matter what.

Amazing run by Davies on the second goal. I was at the game. The kid is electric ⚡️ 

50 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Just saw the boxscore for the game tonight and noticed Techera picked up his second yellow after scoring on a PK. Did he forget he was on a yellow and take his shirt off in celebration?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/techera-blondell-lead-whitecaps-win-real-salt-lake/

Holy fuck, he did. What kind of an idiot do you have to be to do that?

If I was coach I'd suspend him myself. What a way to harm your own team. 

Archived