SOCCER INTEREST IN YOUR COMMUNITY

Robert

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I mentioned the US leagues because they are some of the most commercially successful leagues in the world.  If you are going to make a general point about national leagues that seems to be invalidated by them, simply dismissing the whole country doesn't do the work of reconciling those two things.

Also your point about England is largely a coincidence of this year.  Many of the lone clubs that represent smaller regions in your list yo-yo up and down, and some are very infrequent visitors to the top flight.  There would be many, many years where some of those regions were not represented in the EPL, which again argues against your initial point (while using an example you approve of).

Finally, it is silly to compare the geographic coverage of a multi-tiered soccer infrastructure that has evolved organically and has a pro-real system to allow participation no matter what size/population/economic-wherewithal of the region.  CPL is attempting to jump start that outcome since nothing even remotely like that has organically evolved here.  The idea that you can simply superimpose that kind of tiered structure all at one time here in Canada is not in any way realistic.

Ah yes, those good old Yanks sure know how to create some of the most commercially successful leagues in the world. No argument there! However, the CanPL apparently does not have any use for their sound business expertise, because those Mom & Pop boys trying to launch this Mickey Mouse shit-show have thus far not disclosed any due diligence relating to measuring fan interest like they do in the US, where when they launch sports teams, they first gauge if there is sufficient public interest in their product. They do so by implementing the "put your money where your mouth is" approach, by way of getting fans interested in having a sports team in their city, by putting down deposits on season tickets. Here are the links again that were previously posted in this thread:

https://www.nhl.com/news/las-vegas-franchise-sells-out-season-tickets/c-281931152

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/article200085249.html

The only information that I was able to find in gauging interest in a Canadian soccer league was the unscientific gathering of socceronly's buy a "SUPPORT LOCAL SOCCER - CanPL 2019 (2018)" T-shirt drive.

CanPL Shirt Updated

If you bought the 2018 version of this shirt, don't despair. That's instant cred.

The CanPL shirt has been updated, and we have more cool ones coming soon.   The CanPL shirts sold here are now made from a 50/50 jersey blend and 100% made in Canada.  Very nice high quality t-shirts. 

We have raised almost $2200 for the CanPL supporters groups and hope to continue as 2018 will be a big year for them to grow as much as they can and be ready to kick the league off right. 

(Which has since then been taken down and been replaced with):

Store

Supporters United for the CanPL

Support Local Soccer - CanPL 2019 - Men's

25.00 CAD

Add to cart

Help The Voyageurs support the CanPL by purchasing thisshirt!  All proceeds from the sale of SLS Ca

I wonder why socceronly has replaced the original advertisement, instead of updating the previously released sales figures? Could it be embarrassment? 

As far as the "silly to compare the geographic coverage of a multi-tiered soccer infrastructure that has evolved organically and has a pro-real system to allow participation no matter what size/population/economic-wherewithal of the region" analysis goes:

In the past, the use of the word "CANADIAN" when attached to domestic soccer leagues, is the epitome of silliness. Representing something as Canadian, when it in fact represents Ontario only, is IMO fucking fraudulent, because your trying to represent something more than you really are. Case in point, see below:  

The Canadian Soccer League (CSL; French: Ligue canadienne de soccer — LCS) is a semi-professional league for exclusively Canadian association soccer clubs primarily located in the province of Ontario, and is the successor league to the Canadian National Soccer League (CNSL).[2] It is a Non-FIFA league previously sanctioned by the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA), but now affiliated with the Soccer Federation of Canada (SFC).[3] As of 2017, it consists of 16 teams all located in Ontario, and is divided into two divisions, the First Division and Second Division.[4]The season runs from May to October, with most games played on the weekend followed by a playoff format to determine the overall champion.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what you are on about with your Ontario league points.  CPL is aiming to be something quite different than that.  Your argument is pretty much a perfect example of a straw man argument.  Other cities currently in the mix are Victoria, Quebec, Regina, Winnipeg, Calgary, Halifax, etc.  If you see that as an Ontario league, we use language in a very different way.

Anywho, I should have followed my first instinct when I saw the thread...

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

... we use language in a very different way.

Anywho, I should have followed my first instinct when I saw the thread...

Indeed. Most who are unwilling to examine the truth will either resort to creative nonsense, or, like yourself obviate into denial. Toodeloo:)

BTW. Be sure to let me know if you're in town the next time Halifax plays here in Victoria, and I'll buy you a ticket.

Just curious: What came first; the chicken, or the egg?

Equally as curious: What comes first, the name of a league, or finding out where the teams that might play in that league come from. I guess in the case of those trying to start-up the CanPL the answer is obvious. Just as obvious as, what date will these two, thus far, unknown teams play the CanPL's inaugural match? Thank God they came up with a name first, because I'm sure those minor details such as teams and schedules will just automatically fall into place by themselves, right? :huh:

To date, how does the CanPL measure up against the professional national soccer leagues of the 6 CONCACAF countries that competed in the HEX for the 2018 World Cup Final? 

Costa Rica:

Liga de Fútbol de Primera División

Founded: 1921

Number of teams: 12

HONDURAS:

Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional de Honduras

Founded: 1965

Number of teams: 10

MEXICO:

Liga MX

Founded: 1943

Number of teams: 18

PANAMA:

Liga Panameña de Fútbol

Founded: 1988

Number of teams: 10

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO:

TT Pro League

Founded: 1999

Number of teams: 10

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

Major League Soccer

Founded: 1993

Number of teams: 23

If you need a minimum of 10 teams in a national league that is going to be competitive at the CONCACAF level, and if you are going the excluded the 3 MLS cities, are there going to be 10 cities left in Canada that have sufficient interest to support a pro club? And if a 10 team league manages to get up and running with rosters of 16 players each, meaning that there would be 160 players in total needed, how many of those 160 players would be Canadian national team eligible players? Say 60%? So 96 players? At $2M to operated a club per season? Or $20M per year to develop 96 players? How many Dragons would be closing up their notebooks right now, because the math just does not add up? EVERY ONE OF THEM!

I haven’t found a coherent arguement from you here Robert. Your first post and some various other posts seem to talk about there not being enough interest in Canada for there to be a national pro league. But then at other times it seems like you aren’t suggesting too much ambition from the CPL, but rather too little ambition. I’m thinking specifically about your points about not having teams in each province and territory, allowing foreign players to play, and depending on the sarcasm (I hope it was sarcasm but it’s really hard to tell due to the constant cryptic nature of your posts) the million dollar salaries.

My best guess is that you want a network of D3 leagues across the country and eventually for them to be able to promote to a top level league. Is this your arguement? How long do you think it would take for that to come to fruition and do you think it would take less time than for the CPL to start up, fail, and rise up from the ashes 25 or so years later? BC tried to set up a D3 league and failed to get enough interest, so I imagine it will be a while before PEI and Nunavut will have their own leagues at that level. Oh, and to use your every province/territory needed to make a national league logic, does the same logic apply for provincial/territorial leagues? Does Alert need a team before Nunavut has a territorial league? What about Tilt Cove Newfoundland for a Newfoundland league? We have to wait for that to all be established before we can have pro teams give it a go in places that are showing interest and willing investors today?

4 hours ago, Kent said:

My best guess is that you want a network of D3 leagues across the country and eventually for them to be able to promote to a top level league. Is this your arguement?

You have the same problem that most of the VOYAGEURS on this forum exhibit, which is that nobody is FUCKING reading what I am writing. For years now, I have been saying I have a plan for a soccer STRUCTURE not a soccer LEAGUE. There is a difference between the word STRUCTURE and the word LEAGUE, otherwise God would have only invented one word instead of two words, right? You can gop back to all my posts and check, I use the fucking word STRUCTURE and not the fucking word LEAGUE. No wonder guys like Hargreaves and de Guzman go play elsewhere.

I'll do everyone a big favour here. This is the last time I will say that Canada right now is not ready for a fucking LEAGUE, however, Canada is ready for a fucking STRUCTURE, and once that fucking STRUCTURE has developed and matured for as many years as it takes, then Canada will be ready for a fucking LEAGUE.

But hey, if you want to start up a league in secondary Canadian soccer markets, that will provide part-time minimum-wage employment for 100 Canadian soccer, who are not going to marginally improve their level of skill in a MICKEY-MOUSE MOM & POP league that will fold within a few years, be my guest. Enjoy. Peace OUT.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

You have the same problem that most of the VOYAGEURS on this forum exhibit, which is that nobody is FUCKING reading what I am writing. For years now, I have been saying I have a plan for a soccer STRUCTURE not a soccer LEAGUE. There is a difference between the word STRUCTURE and the word LEAGUE, otherwise God would have only invented one word instead of two words, right? You can gop back to all my posts and check, I use the fucking word STRUCTURE and not the fucking word LEAGUE. No wonder guys like Hargreaves and de Guzman go play elsewhere.

I'll do everyone a big favour here. This is the last time I will say that Canada right now is not ready for a fucking LEAGUE, however, Canada is ready for a fucking STRUCTURE, and once that fucking STRUCTURE has developed and matured for as many years as it takes, then Canada will be ready for a fucking LEAGUE.

But hey, if you want to start up a league in secondary Canadian soccer markets, that will provide part-time minimum-wage employment for 100 Canadian soccer, who are not going to marginally improve their level of skill in a MICKEY-MOUSE MOM & POP league that will fold within a few years, be my guest. Enjoy. Peace OUT.

I did read what you wrote, and you don’t give any details to your can’t fail solution to our problems. I know you haven’t been saying LEAGUE and I know you have been saying STRUCTURE. Maybe you didn’t read what I wrote as to my best guess, even though you quoted it. I mentioned a NETWORK of leagues, which I called D3, with the assumption that as it stands now that is the top level for provincial leagues. I didn’t say that wouldn’t include D4 and so on down the line in the provinces, in fact I implied it with the talk of Alert and Tilt Cove because if you are going to have at least one team per city/town/hamlet you can’t have team all playing in the same division. Is this not a STRUCTURE that I was guessing you are aiming for? Are you purposefully not saying so that you can be the sole possessor of your billion dollar idea?

Apologies to everyone else for not letting the conversation die. I tried for a while, then I took the bait today.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

I did read what you wrote, and you don’t give any details to your can’t fail solution to our problems. I know you haven’t been saying LEAGUE and I know you have been saying STRUCTURE. Maybe you didn’t read what I wrote as to my best guess, even though you quoted it. I mentioned a NETWORK of leagues, which I called D3, with the assumption that as it stands now that is the top level for provincial leagues. I didn’t say that wouldn’t include D4 and so on down the line in the provinces, in fact I implied it with the talk of Alert and Tilt Cove because if you are going to have at least one team per city/town/hamlet you can’t have team all playing in the same division. Is this not a STRUCTURE that I was guessing you are aiming for? Are you purposefully not saying so that you can be the sole possessor of your billion dollar idea?

Apologies to everyone else for not letting the conversation die. I tried for a while, then I took the bait today.

What part of "Canada right now is not ready for a fucking LEAGUE " don't you understand? Remember those words when the CanPL folds!

13 minutes ago, Robert said:

What part of "Canada right now is not ready for a fucking LEAGUE " don't you understand? Remember those words when the CanPL folds!

That has nothing to do with what I posted. Unless I misunderstood and you are not only against the CPL, but all leagues, regional, amateur and youth included.

I tried to have a discussion with you, and tried to hear your side for what we should be focusing on instead of the CPL, but clearly that didn’t work. I am done.

21 hours ago, Robert said:

WTF is a "structure" if not an organizing framework in which LEAGUES operate?

You can't have a "structure" without multiple leagues and while it may not be optimal, you can have a league without a structure (as MLS proved.) How exactly can a structure develop and mature without a league(s) and teams?  This really is not making sense.

What I wonder though, is where you get off criticizing people for talking about a league when that is how this whole conversation started. You wrote (in your second post), "The opening post of this thread may seem vague, so please allow me to elaborate. If the five clubs listed above were to join forces and form a Canadian sub-Premier League..."

How is this whole conversation NOT about the CanPL?

On 3/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, Bison44 said:

692294802c4134596d7f005ff0066957604fe512

Who the fuck's conversing? I don't waste my time conversing. I only lecture!

FUCK, after all these years, do you guys really think I give a flying fuck what any of you have to say! Don't flatter yourselves. Check my profile. Out of the 1,590 posts I've made on this forum, 1,565 have been on threads that I've started! :lol::lol::lol:

On 02/03/2018 at 7:32 PM, Bison44 said:

It was surprising, alot of guys I had forgotten about, but I dont think they mentioned rembrandt, reubens or the BIGGIE... This is how I feel about this thread.  

Old-Man-in-Sorrow-(On-the-Threshold-of-E

So much for my plan to check the forum everyday.  Mind you, I've been busy enough to use that as an excuse over the last week.

At least you don't feel like lopping an ear off.

That's Rubens of course.  Ruebens are sandwiches.

6 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

So much for my plan to check the forum everyday.  Mind you, I've been busy enough to use that as an excuse over the last week.

At least you don't feel like lopping an ear off.

That's Rubens of course.  Ruebens are sandwiches.

With an average of over 5,000 views per thread that I have started, you are not the only one who plans to attend my lectures every day. Although I appreciate the apples, I mean art-work, that some of my suck-hole students bring to class everyday, I do very much enjoy their appreciation for the Dutch-touch. After all, it was Canadians that liberated Holland back in 1945, and I therefore feel it is my duty as a grateful human being to return the favour by trying to liberate Canada from the gloomy depths of soccer's abyss. Although I must say, on certain days that really feels like a hopeless and thankless task, however, if anyone is up to the challenge, I couldn't think of a more qualified man for the job.

By the way, wasn't that Mt. Vic great yesterday. Although I was a little disappointed with the table dancing performances, I was really hoping El Presidente was going to show us his old man titties and sing "Hey Look Me Over, ain't I great." Anywho, what a couple of mouth-watering matches that we got to look forward to, eh? Dominica and French Guiana! Holy FUCK! Have we got large enough stadiums to accommodate the interest that these matches are going to generate? I sure hope that the CSA doesn't plan to play these important matches in Prince Edward Island, because those spud-fuckers really don't deserve anything at all, they've been holding back Canadian soccer for far too long. No, only CanPL cities like Winnipeg or Edmonton are worthy of international spectacles of this caliber, cause we in BC sure as fuck don't want em. First Mt. Vic fucks up Canadian soccer, and now he's gonna do the same for CONCACAF. Ohhh Canada! 

5 hours ago, Robert said:

By the way, wasn't that Mt. Vic great yesterday. Although I was a little disappointed with the table dancing performances, I was really hoping El Presidente was going to show us his old man titties and sing "Hey Look Me Over, ain't I great." Anywho, what a couple of mouth-watering matches that we got to look forward to, eh? Dominica and French Guiana! Holy FUCK! Have we got large enough stadiums to accommodate the interest that these matches are going to generate? I sure hope that the CSA doesn't plan to play these important matches in Prince Edward Island, because those spud-fuckers really don't deserve anything at all, they've been holding back Canadian soccer for far too long. No, only CanPL cities like Winnipeg or Edmonton are worthy of international spectacles of this caliber, cause we in BC sure as fuck don't want em. First Mt. Vic fucks up Canadian soccer, and now he's gonna do the same for CONCACAF. Ohhh Canada! 

You really need to take a break man.  

All of these things happening are good things.  They really are.  

Find a way to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

If you say so.

Well, it's not to say there are not better things possible if XYZ were in place.  

You and I we don't have any control over these things. None.  

Let's enjoy what happens because it is better, and in Canadian soccer terms better is a big deal. 

Archived