Rational CPL discussion

Alex D

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Nathanael Martin said:

So...Just discovered this thread/found out I'm here-what a marvelous little oasis you have all created! Fun week to be following CPL though-lots of nice goodie bags of news.

It's not as active as the main dumpster fire thread but we are going for quality over quantity. 

The winner of the Canada Games will be announced Live Thursday, the day after the Halifax supporters meeting that will be love stream. Those could be two big events. The Halifax live stream definitely should have some good info.

If KW wins the Canada Games it will be a big boost for sport in the region, lots of upgrades.

3 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

The winner of the Canada Games will be announced Live Thursday, the day after the Halifax supporters meeting that will be love stream. Those could be two big events. The Halifax live stream definitely should have some good info.

If KW wins the Canada Games it will be a big boost for sport in the region, lots of upgrades.

Good luck you guys. Pulling for you. It's all about the infrastructure :)

So happy this thread exists.

Okay, so, the situation from Edmonton is that...

a) Supporters were surprised to see Edmonton show up in that Halifax presentation. We know as fact that Tom Fath will sink with the ship if the NASL ever does go under, he is fiercely committed to his share holdings, and FCE will live or die with that. So, safe to say that if this info is true, the bid is spearheaded by someone else.

b ) A CPL bid from Edmonton means: the ownership group behind the bid has deep pockets, and believes they can out compete, or even kill, FC Edmonton. We know that Katz of the OEG approached Fath a few years ago to buy the team, and was rejected. SPN reports that they've heard a claim that Katz is behind this bid. So, it could mean that he, again, approaches Fath with an offer to purchase FCE, or will start fresh and directly compete against. 

Personally, I believe an OEG owned team would kill the Eddies. FCE has failed to establish loyalty in the city (relatively speaking), and wouldn't be able to compete with the resources Katz has. 

But, as with everything CPL, we wait.

I'm really conflicted on the whole Edmonton thing. I hated when MLS put pressure on NASL markets in Atlanta and Minnesota, so how can I be okay with the CPL doing the same thing? However, I do want the CSA to do all they can to promote Canada's interests and create a strong first division. At the same time, I respect the Fath's and their NASL decision because they have invested in the sport, the league and their city/stadium.

Therefore I can't choose a side in this battle (if there will be a battle). I just hope it gets resolved with no lasting negative impact on the supporters, the market, or the sport in Canada.

Agreed. As soon as I saw Edmonton on the report I wondered what the deal was. Saying that, it could just all be taken out of context.

But even if it is, it's clear to me that an Edmonton team is important, and yet Fath refuses to leave the NASL, even when it hurts his own bottom line and community interest.

56 minutes ago, masster said:

I'm really conflicted on the whole Edmonton thing. I hated when MLS put pressure on NASL markets in Atlanta and Minnesota, so how can I be okay with the CPL doing the same thing? However, I do want the CSA to do all they can to promote Canada's interests and create a strong first division. At the same time, I respect the Fath's and their NASL decision because they have invested in the sport, the league and their city/stadium.

Therefore I can't choose a side in this battle (if there will be a battle). I just hope it gets resolved with no lasting negative impact on the supporters, the market, or the sport in Canada.

Chuckle. I said almost the same thing in the other thread. Totally agree.

To me the best case scenario in Edmonton is for the FCE to eventually join in after a few years by request of the supporters ("why aren't we playing Calgary?") and sell their NASL shares to one of these ambitious new clubs. 

It would be a stupid business decision for the CPL to lock themselves out of Edmonton just because FCE will go down with the NASL ship. If there's an ownership ready to enter CPL via Edmonton, there's no way in hell the league would pass on that opportunity.

I understand the "mix-feeling" some people have for FCE but if a CPL ownership starts a team in Edmonton, they will either kill FCE or force them to move to Lethbridge or somewhere else. They are doing this to themselves.

CPL has to do what's best for the league and locking themselves out of Edmonton (A major Canadian market) makes no sense. If people think CPL is on "waiting mode" regarding FCE, forget about it. I suspect CPL is actively lobbying potential investors to start a team without thinking about FCE

I think the one thing this opposing Edmonton team means for the CPL, and Duane mentioned this on his pod, is that if it is true, the CPL will likely see themselves as a reasonably higher level of quality. Which has to say something about the CPL as a whole.

Its a rule of business. If you aren't first to market, you better sure as heck have a better product than the guy who was. 

Also, outside of the big 3 cities, Ottawa-Gatineau is the biggest potential CPL market. If I was OFFC, i'd make a decision sooner, rather than later. The biggest markets will undeniably attract the richest investors as you have a higher chance of success.

What I found especially interesting, but not overly surprising, was the lack of BC-based teams in the Halifax documents. I assume this may have something to do with the new BCRT3 forming, but still hoped we would see something on this coast.

I am very confident that guys like Mark DeFrias and others will bring something to the coast. I am guessing that we will be looking at pretty quick expansion over the next ten years. More teams will keep costs down.

EDIT: I see Halifax has publicly posted their notes. 16 teams in 10 years is the goal.

https://www.hfxwanderers.ca/single-post/2017/03/30/Recap-of-Information-Session

I 100% think Ottawa is all in. I have a feeling that PowerPoint slide was correct with original teams. I have a feeling that both the Fury (they have huge connections to the CSA and they are in Ottawa. Judging by what TSS Rover's have said, CPL reps have been out talking to lots of teams) and FC Edmonton will be there.

On the Edmonton issue, I very much wish FC Ed was on board with CPL.  I would hope that league organizers would have given them every chance to join - and I find it hard to believe the team wouldn't have been given the chance to get in on the ground floor.  But if their ownership group is riding NASL to wherever it is headed, I have a hard time feeling too conflicted about CPL creating a 'survival of the fittest' environment in Edmonton. 

Ideally, FCEd would be part of CPL.  But in the absence of that I will absolutely endorse a CPL-based Edmonton team over one that is hell bent on maintaining a presence in a USSF league.  That isn't a byproduct of any kind of ill-will, it is just the reality that our national league must take clear priority.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

I 100% think Ottawa is all in. I have a feeling that PowerPoint slide was correct with original teams. I have a feeling that both the Fury (they have huge connections to the CSA and they are in Ottawa. Judging by what TSS Rover's have said, CPL reps have been out talking to lots of teams) and FC Edmonton will be there.

I thought the same at first with the Halifax map as well, but the more I think about it, the more likely I feel that they could've said "This is generally what it will be like, but because of various NDAs we can't say these are the exact six cities to start."  It's probably more common than I think in the corporate/government world.

But 100% agree about Ottawa.  If this is a CFL-supported league, I'll be shocked if the only pro soccer team owned by a CFL organization (OSEG) doesn't make the jump.  It would be incredible to think that they wouldn't support the CFL's investment by staying out.

5 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I thought the same at first with the Halifax map as well, but the more I think about it, the more likely I feel that they could've said "This is generally what it will be like, but because of various NDAs we can't say these are the exact six cities to start."  It's probably more common than I think in the corporate/government world.

But 100% agree about Ottawa.  If this is a CFL-supported league, I'll be shocked if the only pro soccer team owned by a CFL organization (OSEG) doesn't make the jump.  It would be incredible to think that they wouldn't support the CFL's investment by staying out.

LOL.  It does seem pretty likely when you think about it like that.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

(I just wish FCED were on board - if you set aside the admittedly huge implication of Fath's financial ties to NASL, it just makes sense on so many levels to have them in)

There are so many benefits to FC Edmonton. Local rivalry, no more flying out to Puerto Rico or whatever new NASL destination is created. More feasible attendance numbers (The Halifax presentation said it is viable at 3000-4000). Plus, advertising in my mind will be easier for a Canadian focused league. I mean, you have an Edmonton based construction company advertising in Miami. 

Archived