Rational CPL discussion

Alex D

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Alex D said:

The combination of the lower break even attendance combined with the talk of being equals along side MLS in the near future leads me to blindly speculate they have some big media/sponsorship deals lined up. 

You'd think so, but I still don't see a media booth or place for TV cameras (apart from field level) on the Halifax renderings.  It's going to be tough to produce anything of good quality without those.

I also thought I heard at one point that they were shooting for 3000 season ticket holders - now it seems 3000-4000 total.  Either they don't expect a lot of non- season ticket holders, or the numbers got changed at some point.

I'm starting to feel like BBTB with all these questions.

8 hours ago, Alex D said:

The combination of the lower break even attendance combined with the talk of being equals along side MLS in the near future leads me to blindly speculate they have some big media/sponsorship deals lined up. 

I believe there may be another short thread on CPL that also contains some blind/wild speculation.

3000-4000 fan break even makes me wonder if the cap would be closer to 1M or under...but then they talk about targeting 1st/2nd division players. Even if that means Scandinavian/eastern european 1st/2nd division, that sounds like closer to 2M

Who knows. I hope the AGM is more of an announcement than "There is a league"

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

3000-4000 fan break even makes me wonder if the cap would be closer to 1M or under...but then they talk about targeting 1st/2nd division players. Even if that means Scandinavian/eastern european 1st/2nd division, that sounds like closer to 2M

Who knows. I hope the AGM is more of an announcement than "There is a league"

Reading your post put me on a weird crazy thought train to thinking that there should be a fan-awarded CPL Player of the Year trophy.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Reading your post put me on a weird crazy thought train to thinking that there should be a fan-awarded CPL Player of the Year trophy.

I'm not sure how you got from point A to point B there but I agree. 

Just now, Alex D said:

I'm not sure how you got from point A to point B there but I agree. 

• "Big news from us at the CSA this weekend; we're announcing the 'Canadian something something', anyway I'm off to the Caribbean to woo some votes, ciao!"
  • "Hello, I'm Paul Beirne, and I have something big to tell you, but I want to hold off just another minute just to see how many aneurysms I can cause on the Voyageurs forum."
  • "Hello, I'm Paul Beirne, and I have something big to tell you, but why not ask the V's forum what they think I'm going to announce, and then we'll compare notes."
  • Fan trophy

• 4 weeks later...

Someone followed up asking if the pro team for Hamilton was in jeopardy and Mitchell said no. Interesting as to what exactly the MLS teams are doing 

Personally, despite Manning’s comments, I bet Vancouver/Montreal are digging in more. Especially if CPL wants Quebec City/Lower mainland markets 

There is a thread of truth to what BBTB says, and what I get from the Mitchell tweet. He replies to someone saying that they to cats would need to raise $200 million to pay MLS expansion fees, easier to start their own league and play for the Canadian Championship.

Hamilton loves to play Toronto. Hamilton wants to take that rivalry to soccer (where Hamilton has a great history). This is Hamilton's last chance. But they need the CSA, and the CSA is focused on how MLS has been shit for our players, and on developing better players. It will be interesting to see where discussions go. But I do believe they are working together well (something BBTB would disagree on and a key point for CPL). Either way, just a couple of weeks left to get this thing ratified. I can't wait. 

10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

That was my thought as well.

I can't really think of any other CanSoc entity that would be described from a future CanPL team administrator as a fox in the henhouse. MLS wanting to control things for their own reasons and not really caring about Canadian soccer development (or more accurately perhaps, only caring when it aligns with the interest of their team in MLS) seems pretty fox in the henhouse to me. 

1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

I can't really think of any other CanSoc entity that would be described from a future CanPL team administrator as a fox in the henhouse. MLS wanting to control things for their own reasons and not really caring about Canadian soccer development (or more accurately perhaps, only caring when it aligns with the interest of their team in MLS) seems pretty fox in the henhouse to me. 

I'm trying to figure out what this decision would be.  I don't know that the CSA would force the CPL to allow the MLS teams as investors (nor would it really fit the phrasing) - moreso that it implies the MLS teams are being trusted with some responsibility.  Not quite sure what it would be, but probably some type of MLS control or influence over some aspect of development.

I still think it possible that there might be some player loan or affiliate system set up between MLS and CPL, but I don't know that the CPL could be forced into that.

Still, seems like a fairly notable development for him to be tweeting about it - especially this late in the game.  MLS trying to throw some last-minute wrenches in things before Vic leaves?

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm trying to figure out what this decision would be.  I don't know that the CSA would force the CPL to allow the MLS teams as investors (nor would it really fit the phrasing) - moreso that it implies the MLS teams are being trusted with some responsibility.  Not quite sure what it would be, but probably some type of MLS control or influence over some aspect of development.

I still think it possible that there might be some player loan or affiliate system set up between MLS and CPL, but I don't know that the CPL could be forced into that.

Still, seems like a fairly notable development for him to be tweeting about it - especially this late in the game.  MLS trying to throw some last-minute wrenches in things before Vic leaves?

I am wondering if they are requesting exclusivity. 

On 4/23/2017 at 1:04 PM, Complete Homer said:

Maybe something symbolic but more benign...like forcing CPL teams to qualify to play MLS in the V-Cup? Kind of fits the followup tweet

maybe.

as far as i'm concerned MLS teams should have to qualify to play in V-cup.

none of this bye shenanigans.  you don't win the FA cup without a chance for a minnow to slay a giant.

Whitecaps should have to play at the very least, Victoria or Calgary at some point.

If I had my druthers they would have to fly to Whitehorse lol but baby steps.

It wouldn't shock me if MLS is trying to force the issue of getting their farms into the league. The reasoning is fairly simple, USL rivalries are pretty lacklustre and they aren't drawing squat and are a financial burden on the MLS teams and the CPL might one day challenge the MLS clubs and thus revenue.

On one end, you can get your hooks into the league and ensure it never evolves into something that could rival MLS, and if somehow the league succeeds despite that, well your farm team costs might be better offset and you can pretend you wanted to help Canadian soccer along the whole time.

There is no downside for them, so long as they can crash the party, which I assume the #CanPL owners aren't keen on.

I think CPL ownership have more leverage now than the MLS team. If those owners said "No farm teams or we pull our money", CSA will choose them. A Canadian league is more important at this point than keeping 3 billionaires groups happy

Archived