GTA CPL Supporters thread

Macksam

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

If it makes you feel better, I am an absolute huge fan of the Blizzard/CN Tower one.  Huge fan.

Even though I keep thinking that TBFC refers to Thunder Bay.

Could easily change that to say Toronto.  Easy fix.  and add a maple leaf somewhere if people think that's needed(say, coming out of the base of the tower).

4 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Damn, not a fan of the Blizzard one eh?  The T shape from the flag could easily be used on the actual kit - actually I think I already did that concept up.

You guys really want to use the maple leaf eh?

I can easily change the colour on the blizzard on and make it a lighter blue(like above)

Ah sorry, no, I was just spitballing ideas. I like the crest but I don't know how much it fits the idea of a supporters groups. "The Blizzards"? I think it would have to be more self explanatory, otherwise you'd have to spend ten minutes explaining to someone who the Toronto Blizzard were. I was just throwing out "The Blues" as a very generic supporters group name, not at all married to it. The Maple Leaf isn't necessary, but I like the shade of blue and the big T, but I was just trying to feed ideas

It might just be better to wait for an announcement, to make a name more centered around the neighborhood/stadium identity (like the Barton St. Battalion, great name).

3 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

comme ca

rBF4L47.png

Likes/Dislikes?

I really like the shade change. It suddenly looks a lot more Toronto. I am into bottom middle (though maybe a small edit on the O so the tower doesn't strike through...though I wouldn't know how to change it without changing the whole aesthetic) and top left

Top left solves the O issue

Sorry, just to clarify, it wasn't meant to be the logo for the supporters group, or the name.  It's meant to be for the team, and then the logo for the first(and founding) supporters group would go hand-in-hand with that.  Basically what we did for BSB.

Still, we're making progress, I think?

As far as names go, I think you guys are on your own there.  Just start brainstorming, no idea is too shitty(for now)

Hey guys, just saw the thread, I'm based in North York. Definitely cool to see the ball rolling. And having looked at the sentiment of TFC twitter the past two weeks, I can definitely see some guys in USec, Inebriatti and Kings coming aboard a Toronto CPL club for sure, sooner or later. My USOL teammate from last summer in this thread can probably testify to this lol. 

I was just thinking for 5 minutes about potential names for a Toronto CPL club, and I thought it'd be pretty cool to incorporate York into the club name somewhere, as a homage to our old name and the old York County. Kinda like how the name Lazio pays tribute to the admistrative region (province) that Rome is based in.

I love sports marketing, I submitted the designs that went on to become both the inaugural NASL home and away jerseys for the Fury back around 2013, and did a lot of marketing and social media stuff for Bytown Boys, one of the Fury supporter groups.

A couple names that just kicked in I wanted to share were

- Royal York Football Club (RYFC)

- York United Football Club (YUFC)

- Toronto York Football Club (TYFC)

And obviously, if Goldhar wants to name it Maccabi Toronto or whatever the hell he feels like, then York could be something to consider incorporating for a Toronto CPL SG or something, lol. 

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what Toronto City had as a crest or kit?  I was always curious what that looked like. When I use to live in Toronto, I would always day dream about winning Lotto Max and setting up a new version Toronto City in the NASL.  Had a lot of things planned out (personal, academy, colours, stadium design and location).  Sadly, I never won Lotto Max.

11 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what Toronto City had as a crest or kit?  I was always curious what that looked like. When I use to live in Toronto, I would always day dream about winning Lotto Max and setting up a new version Toronto City in the NASL.  Had a lot of things planned out (personal, academy, colours, stadium design and location).  Sadly, I never won Lotto Max.

It looks neat but a little dated

Honestly I'd like to see something mildly retro, but it's hard to hit that sweets pot between "retro" and "legitimate professionals" 

I've been a fan of the Columbus Crew and the Timbers logos, they seem to hit that pretty well IMO 

hdd4efpf78qg631npfyr6ecnk.gif

51 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I'm glad we've had similar thoughts about Lotto Max.

Voyageurs CPL group lotto anyone? :P

32 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm glad we've had similar thoughts about Lotto Max.

Voyageurs CPL group lotto anyone? :P

Ha, me too. I've told my wife I'd want to start up a pro team in Canada if we win the lottery, and said I fully expect to lose every cent of it.

For what it's worth, I am incredibly interested in a GTA CPL team, but will probably lurk in the shadows a bit in terms of the supporters group for the time being. I don't think I would be much help in terms of coming up with a name, designing merch or coming up with song lists or whatever it is supporters groups do outside of game time, plus I have a young family so I try to limit my time away from them. But, I will do everything I can to be able to be a season ticket holder (meaning, beg my wife to watch the kids a dozen or so days while I go get drunk for a couple hours). If it's just me (as opposed to me and my wife), then I would probably be up for joining you guys and standing and singing all game. If it's her and me, we'll flank you and possibly sing from the persistent sitting section:)

FWIW, I live in the Annex (Varsity stadium would be a perfect venue for me, for sure my wife would let me go to games there) and I haven't been part of a supporters group before, but was in the same area as the Original 109 guys before they became official and was standing and singing just behind them for a couple years. Off and on season ticket holder for TFC (2011, 2012, 2014).

The Blizzard name would be ideal, but the fact is, it's copyrighted.  No doubt the guy who owns the name would want a steep price to let it go and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to the new ownership.  

If we did manage to secure the name, I'd want to see the original white with blue and red trim colours used.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

The Blizzard name would be ideal, but the fact is, it's copyrighted.  No doubt the guy who owns the name would want a steep price to let it go and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to the new ownership.  

If we did manage to secure the name, I'd want to see the original white with blue and red trim colours used.

The name might be copyrighted, but as far as I'm aware you can't copyright a snowflake?  Maybe change it to Toronto city or something and go with the likeness/homage to the blizzard?  

Anyways I can try whatever this is just what I already had done so I thought it seemed like a good place to start.  

K let's see if we can figure out what we all mostly agree on so far:

Colour: Blue(main), White(secondary), Red trim??

Name of potential team:  Toronto City / Something to do with York

Blizzard homage: yay/nay?

Toronto City bird thingy?(with or without blizzard idea, assuming I can make it all work together)

But that being said, keep pumping out ideas, nothing is too shitty for now.

20 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

K let's see if we can figure out what we all mostly agree on so far:

Colour: Blue(main), White(secondary), Red trim??

Name of potential team:  Toronto City / Something to do with York

Blizzard homage: yay/nay?

Toronto City bird thingy?(with or without blizzard idea, assuming I can make it all work together)

But that being said, keep pumping out ideas, nothing is too shitty for now.

This just crossed my mind, but something to do with Fort York seems perfect for a supporters group.

Archived