1 hour ago, rkomar said:

I hope you're right about the system accommodating her.  It would be a proper growing experience for both her and her teammates.  That's the beauty of team sports, how success spreads to all.

UCLA's coach Amanda Cromwell preaches possession football, but part of the long balling in this game is the way Penn State were pressing. They were keeping 4 players forward, 4 in the midfield, so they were clogging up the middle. The UCLA defenders were constantly trying to long ball to their top forward Darian Jenkins who is a speedster. Penn State did a good job of marking her and covering her runs. What Fleming was trying to do was come back and pick up the ball and build from the midfield to break up the tight press coverage that Penn State was using but the defenders were not cooperating much.

I think with some coaching, Amanda Cromwell will get them to keep the ball on the turf and build through possession. Its what she said at half time that there was too much long balling, but its what Penn State was offering to UCLA.

You really can tell there is a football IQ working in Fleming's head because she was thinking ahead of what she wants her team to do so she was actually trying to lead them into runs with her passes. Sadly, her team mates were not on the same wave length on those passes because you did have some turn overs when they did not make that run into open space. But they have been only together 1 week, and so they probably have what 3 practices now together? What Fleming wants in the end will win out over what the team is used to.

Why I say this? Its how Amanda Cromwell is using Fleming. Fleming started this game, played the entire first half. Second half, she started that as well, at the 70th minute Fleming was subbed out for only 5 minutes and then Fleming was subbed back in after a small rest. Fleming would then get the first shot on goal for UCLA at the 81st minute. Fleming has already become the go to player for Cromwell and will want her team to play off Fleming.

I don't think Amanda Cromwell wants a repeat of the long balling and the video will show Fleming constantly coming to the defense to provide outlet passes for them which they rarely used. I think that will change in the future since Fleming is such an important piece in the middle for UCLA.

Here is a UCLA recap on their site about the game.

http://www.uclabruins.com/news/2016/9/3/womens-soccer-fleming-golden-goal-beats-penn-state-1-0-in-ot.aspx

Edited by Forgedias

• What are the rules of leaving streaming links on this site? Is it allowable since I have a link available to watch Fleming for you guys. The streaming link is high quality as well.

Pac12 TV consists 6 different channels serving its regions so finding the right link to watch can be tough but I do have one for you guys.

[ 1 ]  Read that Jessie Fleming's room mate is Teagan Micah.   Micah was Western Sydney Wanderers' starting keeper during the last month of the 2015-2016 season of the Australian W-League.

[ 2 ]  Speaking of UCLA,  former Bruin, Chelsea Stewart  was not in the game day line-up for SC Freiburg today:

Crbpg4oWAAAN1Bp.jpg

Side note: two of SC Freiburg's starters ( Giulia Gwinn and Janina Minge ) are part of Germany U17 women's team who are in the same group ( B ) with U17 CANWNT  for the FIFA U-17  Women's World Cup  Jordan 2016.

[ 3 ] Speaking of UCLA ,  It's a shame that former Bruin, Ally Courtnall seems to have disappeared from women's soccer.  The CANWNT  are in a new cycle now and there's a pressing  need for some rightbacks , as well a defensive midfielder. Pacey, defensive Courtnall might have fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_N01uuUMaA

1 hour ago, Forgedias said:
  • What are the rules of leaving streaming links on this site? Is it allowable since I have a link available to watch Fleming for you guys. The streaming link is high quality as well.

Pac12 TV consists 6 different channels serving its regions so finding the right link to watch can be tough but I do have one for you guys.

There are no particular rules for leaving streaming links. Post away :)

http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-los-angeles-live/

Here is the link. Shouldn't be any ads you need to worry about. On the topic of the games. They will replay the game later a few hours if you miss it.

Next Friday Sept 9 at 7pm pacific time is the next match against the North Carolina Tar Heels who are a top 10 school in the nation. Should be another tough challenge for UCLA.

Here is the UCLA schedule. http://www.uclabruins.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc

Edited by Forgedias

http://www.uclabruins.com/news/2016/9/6/womens-soccer-fleming-cerda-earn-pac-12-weekly-honors.aspx

fleming_cerda.jpg?width=1440&height=810&

Freshman midfielder Jessie Fleming was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week, and junior MacKenzie Cerda was selected the Defensive Player of the Week after the Bruins shut out defending NCAA champion Penn State, 1-0 in overtime, last Friday.

Fleming, who was playing in just her second collegiate game since winning bronze at the Olympics, scored her third goal of the season on a header in the 99th minute to beat the 13th-ranked Nittany Lions. Fleming already is tied for the team lead in goals scored with three and leads the Pac-12 in points per game (3) and goals per game (1.5).

Cerda, who moved from forward to left back during the off-season, had the assist on Fleming's game-winner with a perfectly-placed corner kick. Cerda is tied for the team lead in assists with two and ranks tied for fourth in the Pac-12 in assists per game (0.5). Defensively, she has helped the Bruins shut out three of four opponents this year, including two Top 15 teams.

The Pac-12 honors are the first for each player and the third and fourth for UCLA players this season.

USC's Sammy Jo Prudhomme was named the Goalkeeper of the Week.

Ninth-ranked UCLA is back in action on Friday, Sept. 9 against eighth-ranked North Carolina at Drake Stadium at 7pm.

UCLA would go down 2-1 to North Carolina. Game should be replayed a couple hours later if your interested in watching it. Jessie Fleming is pretty clutch, she scored the lone goal for UCLA so has scored in 3 straight games and 4 times total.

Fleming's goal came in around the 54 minute. She got a ball inside the box and was open for a second. she settled the ball down and while she did that, the goal keeper and 3 Tar Heel players came out to defend. Fleming picked her head up and took the shot at the near post beating the keeper who was defending that post. Really good read and composure from Fleming. Her goal tied the game until North Carolina came back and scored off a corner kick.

I think over all UCLA really didn't play the game their coach would want them to play. Again a bit too impatient, going too direct. Trying to quickly get to their forwards in Amber Munderlyn and Darian Jenkins who are more direct players. preferring to run onto the ball instead of holding the ball up. Jessie Fleming and Anika Rodriguez are probably the 2 best holding midfielders on the team with Zoey Goralski who is an outside back.

North Carolina who plays pretty direct themselves but connect to their forwards and make many of their passes so it did allow North Carolina to control much of the possession. UCLA had a hard time linking balls with their team mates and when they did, they put some good pressure on North Carolina.

I think for Fleming, she probably is still adapting to the hard pitch she is playing on. If you watch carefully, the ball is bouncing a lot when the ball is passed around. So Fleming tends to need to take another touch to settle the ball down. But I think she can adapt, she really has a smart head on her shoulders. She is always looking, always aware of what is going on. I just hope more effort is made to use her as the focal point of the offense instead of trying to get the ball to the forwards that I see happen a lot. I blame that on the defenders since they do quite a bit of that. If they don't see an option pass back, and move the ball around and wait for a midfielder to open up. They don't need to move the ball forward until they are good and ready. But these are young players and many of them still teenagers and they do get taught at an early age to get the ball to the forwards ignoring the midfield. Fleming will slowly move the culture that the midfield is the center of the offense. I'm sure Amanda Cromwell will be trying to instill that in her players.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I think the answer is that she is very probably too good for this level of play but the goalscoring thing could be down to how she is used by the two teams.

And the value of a free education is not to be underestimated! But most importantly, I'd say her development as a person and life experiences are probably far better served where she is.

Agreed plus she is playing unlike Mallory Pugh who had to miss this season because the US U20 coach Michelle French wanted her players to red shirt for this World Cup which I disagree with. In a playing environment your constantly playing and developing.

For Fleming, she is not only playing but is the center of the offense and having that responsibility will only help her grow into a better player. She not only will play all fall long, but in winter she will play at the World Cup and then in the summer have her friendlies. So her year will be in constant development which is very important. Fleming can still improve.

As to Fleming being the best player, yes she is. Its really obvious but its still a very good growing experience for her which will help her down the line.

UCLA wins 3-1 vs University of San Diego

UCLA: Jessie Fleming (5th) assisted by Jenkins, Darian Jenkins (4th) assisted by Fleming, Anika Rodriguez (1st)

This match wasn't televised because the USC football game was on the channel. Jessie Fleming unlike the North Carolina game where she played the full 90 minutes didn't start this game. She got subbed in in the 24th minute and played the rest of the half.

This was all via live audio since their game wasn't on their Pac12 channel. Fleming started the scoring in the 41st minute with UCLA building into the box and a pass was sent in that Fleming would convert. Whenever Fleming's name was mentioned, much of the forward momentum was being done by UCLA through passes and Fleming ball movement between defenders which happened several times. San Diego would tie it up again with the UCLA keeper punching the ball out but San Diego getting the ball and scoring to tie it. Then in the 58th minute on another build up by UCLA, Fleming would receive the ball either near or inside the box and pass to Jenkins and she would score for Fleming's first assist of the season. Later on Rodriguez would score to put the game out of reach for UCLA.

What is noticeable is that whenever UCLA had a good run of play, Fleming's name was mentioned on the audio cast. I didn't see the game but it does look like UCLA is running more of the offense through Fleming, though I can't say if the team was playing direct at times, but its good to hear Fleming's name on the cast because she is getting more touches. And for a player of her caliber, more touches is important.

25 minutes ago, Forgedias said:

UCLA wins 3-1 vs University of San Diego

UCLA: Jessie Fleming (5th) assisted by Jenkins, Darian Jenkins (4th) assisted by Fleming, Anika Rodriguez (1st)

This match wasn't televised because the USC football game was on the channel. Jessie Fleming unlike the North Carolina game where she played the full 90 minutes didn't start this game. She got subbed in in the 24th minute and played the rest of the half.

This was all via live audio since their game wasn't on their Pac12 channel. Fleming started the scoring in the 41st minute with UCLA building into the box and a pass was sent in that Fleming would convert. Whenever Fleming's name was mentioned, much of the forward momentum was being done by UCLA through passes and Fleming ball movement between defenders which happened several times. San Diego would tie it up again with the UCLA keeper punching the ball out but San Diego getting the ball and scoring to tie it. Then in the 58th minute on another build up by UCLA, Fleming would receive the ball either near or inside the box and pass to Jenkins and she would score for Fleming's first assist of the season. Later on Rodriguez would score to put the game out of reach for UCLA.

What is noticeable is that whenever UCLA had a good run of play, Fleming's name was mentioned on the audio cast. I didn't see the game but it does look like UCLA is running more of the offense through Fleming, though I can't say if the team was playing direct at times, but its good to hear Fleming's name on the cast because she is getting more touches. And for a player of her caliber, more touches is important.

What's the UCLA women's career scoring record? Asking for a friend.

[ 1 ] Is NCAA division 1 too  easy for Jessie  Fleming? Should she be playing pro? I don't know, she's only played in  four college  matches and it seems a little early to be drawing any kind of conclusions about her career. At this point, Ashley Lawrence only has 1 assist in 5 games for Western Virginia in the Big 12  and no one would suggest that NCAA div 1 is too easy for her.

[ 2 ]  Some notable UCLA women soccer records:

-  UCLA   freshman season record for goals :          19, Lauren Cheney , 2006

-  UCLA   freshman season record  for points:          40,  Kara Lang , 2005

-  UCLA   single season record for goals:                 23, Lauren Cheney, 2007

23, Sydney Leroux, 2009

-  UCLA   single  season record for points:               57, Lauren Cheney, 2007

-  UCLA   career record for goals:                            71, Lauren Cheney, 2006-2009

-  UCLA   career record for points:                          173, Lauren Cheney, 2006-2009

[ 3  ]  UCLA has an interesting game  on Thursday, October 6, 2016 when they play  the University of California. Both Emma Fletcher ( Fleming and Fletcher were team mates on U20 CANWNT during the 2014 WWC ) and American Indigo Rae Gibson ( a current U20 CANWNT player)  are with California.  

Edited by tc-in-bc

As for the topic of going pro, would giving up 4 years of eligibility at a top college in the United States be worth it? Jessie Fleming would need to be compensated well to forgo all that. Its really hard to say, if a team like PSG in the French league offered her money then I think she should take it since PSG does spend money on their women's team. But playing in the NWSL is not worth it.

On 12/09/2016 at 9:32 AM, Rheo said:

I hope she stays in college.  An education is way more important that her development in soccer especially when there aren't million dollar paydays out there.

She is studying engineering according to her bio at UCLA.