16 hours ago, dsqpr said:

On an unrelated note, I really liked the UCLA strip in this match - great colours for a women's team. Nice to see women's teams pushing the boundaries like that.

Isn't that in honour of Women's Health Month?  The CFL teams wear pink one week in October for breast cancer awareness and other women's health issues.

On 2016-10-25 at 2:43 AM, dsqpr said:

On an unrelated note, I really liked the UCLA strip in this match - great colours for a women's team. Nice to see women's teams pushing the boundaries like that.

Aside from this match and raising awareness for a cause, there's a sizeable number of women who don't like that kind of thing.  They see it as patronizing and gimmicky.  When the 1990 Canadian women's hockey team wore pink at the initial IIHF world championship (in which they won) many of them didn't like the idea at all, for the above reasons.

2lwok6e.jpg

Edit:  For clarity, that looks like Kim St Pierre wearing a replica of the pink jersey, she wasn't around in 1990

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

That sounds a lot like Abby Wombat and those of her ilk - always looking for something to whinge about and trying to turn everything into a feminist issue. I hope and believe that the silent majority will agree with me that a sharp looking kit is just a sharp looking kit, whatever the colour.

I also liked the Japan kits - they were sharp. When it comes to all pink kits I'm not a fan though. I don't really like pink and wouldn't want to wear it just because I'm a woman. I guess my perspective might be a bit different.  After so many instances of being limited to women's size pro jerseys that are either pink versions of the real thing or with a deep V neck, I feel like I've had my fill of pink. I wouldn't make a stink about one off pink charity kits, but I would never buy one.

On 10/26/2016 at 5:14 PM, dsqpr said:

Yes, I guess you can have too much of a good thing. Did you not think that the UCLA kit in the video above looked sharp though? 

I'm kind of indifferent to it.  I don't hate it or love it :) 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like UCLA has been dropping down the rankings, with losses to Colorado and Utah.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the videos on the PAC-12 site to work for me.  Anyone here have some insights on what's going on with the team?

5 hours ago, rkomar said:

It looks like UCLA has been dropping down the rankings, with losses to Colorado and Utah.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the videos on the PAC-12 site to work for me.  Anyone here have some insights on what's going on with the team?

They've struggled to score since losing Darian Jenkins. That's basically it. They significantly out-possessed Colorado and couldn't buy a goal. The other forwards on the team are all fine but none of them have the scoring touch Jenkins did - and not having to worry about Jenkins has left teams able to throw a bunch of defenders at Fleming all the time. (It's also been suggested lots of teams struggle doing the Colorado-Utah trip at altitude without any time really to train there first. I don't know how like, true this is, but the PAC-12 Network really likes to mention it.)

They did beat USC 1-0 last night; for a lot of it Fleming seemed to be playing higher than UCLA has generally had her.  

Provided nobody goes pro before next season, this issue of having less-than-optimally productive forwards should hopefully resolve itself for UCLA as Mallory Pugh and Ashley Sanchez arrive. 

Btw, this is kind of too late now, but if you want to watch the games live, most of UCLA's games are on the PAC-12 Network, which if you want to watch from outside of the US, you can pay for PAC-12 on Everport (http://eversport.tv) and then watch soccer to your heart's content (or just find a free stream, generally of lower quality and lower reliability but also lower cost). I think Eversport lets you watch on-demand too, so you can go back and watch games later.

4 hours ago, carolynduthie said:

Btw, this is kind of too late now, but if you want to watch the games live, most of UCLA's games are on the PAC-12 Network, which if you want to watch from outside of the US, you can pay for PAC-12 on Everport (http://eversport.tv) and then watch soccer to your heart's content (or just find a free stream, generally of lower quality and lower reliability but also lower cost). I think Eversport lets you watch on-demand too, so you can go back and watch games later.

Do you need a subscription to watch the highlight videos, as well?  Those are the ones that I've been trying to watch, unsuccessfully.  I did watch one of the games live a month ago, without needing to set up any kind of membership.  Maybe that was a one-off.

Thanks for the rundown on the team's latest showings.

45 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Do you need a subscription to watch the highlight videos, as well?  Those are the ones that I've been trying to watch, unsuccessfully.  I did watch one of the games live a month ago, without needing to set up any kind of membership.  Maybe that was a one-off.

Thanks for the rundown on the team's latest showings.

The highlight videos on the actual PAC-12 site? I just tried and was able to watch the latest one now (without any kind of login or anything) so it must be something to do with your browser or a plugin or something. 

43 minutes ago, carolynduthie said:

The highlight videos on the actual PAC-12 site? I just tried and was able to watch the latest one now (without any kind of login or anything) so it must be something to do with your browser or a plugin or something. 

In my case, I just get the spinning icon forever.  I'm running chrome in linux, which probably accounts for the problem.  I have no problem watching the PAC-12 videos that are linked in this thread, though.

There's a PAC-12 women's soccer channel on youtube, showing game highlights and post-game interviews.  So, if you have problems viewing the highlights at the PAC-12 website, you can watch them on youtube.

While looking around there, I found the following CTV News video about Jessie Fleming the runner (from a few years ago):

[ 1  ] So Western Virginia's ( Buchanan, Lawrence ) road to the College Cup could go through Ohio State ( Prince, Agnew ) in the second round and possibly UCLA ( Fleming ) in the third round.

- 2016 Division 1 Women's Soccer Championship Bracket:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-women/d1

[ 2 ]  Bracket reworked to show schools with Canadian players and RPIs in brackets. Some notable Canadian players are highlighted:

http://1r6dch.jpg

Edited by tc-in-bc

The UCLA vs Cal game popped up on youtube, so I had a look.  Emma Fletcher stood out to me, playing well against Fleming.  She looks to be getting stronger since I saw her in the U-20 tournament in 2014, so I hope she somehow stays in the mix for the CWNT. 

UCLA and WVU both advance to play each other in the NCAA tournament.  I watched the second half of the WVU vs OSU game, and all four Canadians looked good in that game.  The forwards for WVU were disappointing, though (22 shots, 2 on target, one flukey goal), and I'm wondering if they have what it takes to go all the way.  Did anyone watch UCLA play?  If so, how was Fleming?

Wanted to leave these videos here for you guys. UCLA beat their second round opponent Nebraska 2-0. Jessie Fleming assisted on both goals. She was playing slightly deeper for her team so she was able to get more touches and hold the ball up more. You can see her in the videos with the ball, waiting for team mates to make runs and then making passes to them. UCLA is at West Virginia since they are in their bracket. This Sunday they play against West Virginia which of course has 7 Canadians on the squad.

West Virginia for their part beat a scrappy Ohio State today 1-0 in overtime. The Buckeyes played the bunker counter attack strategy but mostly they were trying to bunker in for the penalty shoot out. Ashley Lawrence was a superstar in that match. Mostly played in the midfield and she controlled the entire attack for the Mountaineers. In Basketball there is a term for breaking down a defender with the dribble. That is exactly what Lawrence did to the defenders but she would keep doing it to not one defender at a time but would rip apart several defenders, doing step overs and changing directions to shake her markers. Very impressive footwork from Lawrence. She did get banged up because the Buckeyes were fouling her hard and there were a lot of heated words about the abuse she was getting from the West Virginia side. She ended up switching to the right back spot which did take some of the steam from the West Virginia attack.

What could be said about the game was Ohio State bunkered and West Virginia came in waves. They had 26 shots to I think only 5 from Ohio State. But many of those shots were pretty poor quality by the Mountaineers. They will need to improve on that against UCLA.

9 hours ago, Forgedias said:

Wanted to leave these videos here for you guys. UCLA beat their second round opponent Nebraska 2-0. Jessie Fleming assisted on both goals. She was playing slightly deeper for her team so she was able to get more touches and hold the ball up more. You can see her in the videos with the ball, waiting for team mates to make runs and then making passes to them. UCLA is at West Virginia since they are in their bracket. This Sunday they play against West Virginia which of course has 7 Canadians on the squad.

West Virginia for their part beat a scrappy Ohio State today 1-0 in overtime. The Buckeyes played the bunker counter attack strategy but mostly they were trying to bunker in for the penalty shoot out. Ashley Lawrence was a superstar in that match. Mostly played in the midfield and she controlled the entire attack for the Mountaineers. In Basketball there is a term for breaking down a defender with the dribble. That is exactly what Lawrence did to the defenders but she would keep doing it to not one defender at a time but would rip apart several defenders, doing step overs and changing directions to shake her markers. Very impressive footwork from Lawrence. She did get banged up because the Buckeyes were fouling her hard and there were a lot of heated words about the abuse she was getting from the West Virginia side. She ended up switching to the right back spot which did take some of the steam from the West Virginia attack.

What could be said about the game was Ohio State bunkered and West Virginia came in waves. They had 26 shots to I think only 5 from Ohio State. But many of those shots were pretty poor quality by the Mountaineers. They will need to improve on that against UCLA.

The UCLA coach's comments on Canadian players were interesting especially in light of many of the criticisms that we level at our own players. 

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Pinch of salt though Rob; what else was she going to say with Jesse Fleming sitting next to her!

The criticisms I have seen levelled at our own players seem to me to be mostly fair and are certainly more than counter balanced with well deserved kudos - as attested by this thread!

Yes, good point.

22 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The criticisms I have seen levelled at our own players seem to me to be mostly fair and are certainly more than counter balanced with well deserved kudos - as attested by this thread!

At the risk of starting something and I honestly don't want or mean to, sometimes I think the criticism is undeserved and comes from a poster's negative agenda.

After the WWC in Germany on another more "politicized" site (read anti CSA) they were saying ridiculous things like "It'll take another 10-20 years to rebuild the program.  A year later we got a bronze in Germany (correction: Olympics in London).  This very forum had a Labbe "hate" thread.  You can pick apart any players weaker skills, but do the results or evidence merit the criticism?  In Labbe's case it was proven no.

There are far too many people with an ax to grind who's actions come from a bad place.  Nothing wrong with a little criticism but I look at who's posting it and why and sometimes it proves to be a little self damning.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

No. 1 WVU Kicks Way to Quarterfinals
Shannon McNamara wvusports.com November 20, 2016

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – For the second straight match, the No. 1-ranked West Virginia University women’s soccer team needed extra time to advance in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. Again, the Mountaineers found a way to survive, as WVU edged No. 18-ranked UCLA, 4-2, in penalty kicks, late this afternoon at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium and earned the right to advance to the 2016 NCAA Tournament quarterfinals.

Playing in swirling winds and icy, blustery conditions, the top-seeded Mountaineers (21-1-2, 8-0) pounced on the fourth-seeded Bruins (15-5-2, 7-3-1 Pac-12) in the 23rd minute, on a goal from sophomore forward Sh’Nia Gordon. UCLA earned the late equalizer on a header from freshman forward Jessie Flemming with 1:52 remaining.

The contest officially goes down as a 1-1 draw, halting WVU’s program-best win streak at 14, but extending the team’s unbeaten streak to 15.

“Exciting, exciting game today,” Mountaineer coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “This team never ceases to surprise me. They have prevailed through so many different adversities and situations, and this was just another one where this team showed its grit, its grind and its focus.

“All the credit to UCLA, that was an incredible team. That was a tough opponent, and it was an incredible, incredible result.”

WVU advances to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight for the second straight season and the third time in program history. The Mountaineers will play host to No. 14-ranked and third-seeded Duke on Saturday, Nov. 26, at 3 p.m., at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. It will be the first NCAA quarterfinal match in Morgantown since 2007.

Tickets for Saturday’s quarterfinal go on sale Monday, Nov. 21, at 9 a.m., at WVUGAME.com.

Despite out-possessing the Bruins throughout both overtime periods, earning 10 shots to UCLA’s one, WVU saw its postseason life hang in the balance when the match went into a shootout.

WVU won the toss and went first. Junior midfielder Carla Portillo placed her shot past junior Siri Ervik, who entered the match for the shootout. UCLA’s Lauren Kaskie matched and put the mark at 1-1.

Ervik stopped junior forward Michaela Abam on the second shot, and Mountaineer junior Michelle Newhouse answered, making a save on Flemming’s attempt. Senior midfielder Ashley Lawrence connected on WVU’s third shot, and Newhouse made a second straight save, pushing away Courtney Proctor’s attempt.

Junior defender Amandine Pierre-Louis pushed WVU’s edge to 3-1 with make in the fourth round. Sunny Dunphy answered for the Bruins. Senior defender Kadeisha Buchanan punched the Mountaineers’ quarterfinal ticket with a make in the fifth round.

“We’ve been here before,” Newhouse said of the Mountaineers’ shootout experience. “A couple years back in the Big 12 Tournament, we came out with the same outcome. We were pretty confident; we practice all the time. I told them (her teammates), ‘they have to make theirs, and I’ll come up with a few,’ and that’s what happened.”

WVU finished with a 25-6 edge in shots and forced UCLA’s Teagan Micah into nine saves, including four in the overtime periods. Newhouse made two stops, both in the second half.

The Mountaineers also finished with a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.

Though the teams needed time to settle into the wintry conditions, WVU capitalized on its first quality chance. The hero just two days ago, Abam got the play started, sending in a shot wide of the 18-yard box in the 23rd minute. Micah got a hand on the ball at the upper right corner and tipped it behind her body. It floated across the line and landed at the feet of Gordon, who promptly directed it into the net for her seventh goal of the season.

“It was huge; again it was just one more opportunity and more momentum that we needed,” Izzo-Brown said. “Sh’Nia did her job, and it was incredible.”

With the assist, Abam’s season point total now stands at a team-best 30 (11 G, 8 A). Gordon ranks second on the team with 17 points (7 G, 3 A).

With the lead, WVU dictated pace for much of regulation. The Bruins flipped the field late in the second half and found the chance they needed when defender Jacey Pederson served the ball into the box. Flemming connected with her head in front of the line. Newhouse got a hand on the ball, but she could not slow its momentum, and it went into the far left corner of the net.

The goal was only the ninth score allowed by the Mountaineers in 24 matches.

Gordon and Abam nearly connected on the golden goal with a minute remaining in the first overtime. Gordon drove to the baseline and sent the ball in to Abam at the right post. The Houston native got a shot off as she fell to the ground, but the ball was carried up and over the net.

The Mountaineers had three shots on-goal in the second overtime, including a bouncing shot from Lawrence in the 106th minute and a header from inside the box by Alli Magaletta in the 109th minute, but Micah came through with both saves.

Junior Heather Kaleiohi had the best chance of the second half, as she sent a lofting shot wide of the box toward the frame in the 63rd minute, but it cruelly bounced off the crossbar.

Newhouse made a great save in the 84th minute, stopping a quick shot from Lauren Kaskie that kept the score at 1-0.

Abam paced the field with eight shots, including a game-high three on-goal.

With the win, WVU moves to 17-15-3 in all-time NCAA Tournament play, 12-6-3 in home matches and 2-2-1 in the third round.

This afternoon was the first-ever meeting between the Mountaineers and the Bruins.