Whitecaps 2016

TRM

Lost 3-2 to our nemesis. Aird goes the full 90 and gets burned by Piatti several times. Well it is Piatti but he'll have to play better defending. His offence was very good and he can definitely whip in crosses accurately. Froese goes 66 minutes and had several good shows of his skill. We out shot (21-11) and had more shots on net (10-5) and forced more saves (8-2) but Bush came up big and made several huge saves. MOTM defensively for Bush and of course Piatti offensively.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually not too discouraged. We had a lot of upsides, and a few bits to fix. We are usually more reliable defending, we were naive. But we showed we can attack, made their keeper make a few good saves, hit a crossbar, had shots. 

The upsides were Froese and Bolaños. Techera was at his level, Laba too, Harvey. Even Parker, not his best but he is still a great signing. Rivero was his usual self, missed on break and was saved on another, bad luck; the guy was all wound up and frustrated first day of the season. Bad sign, I think he needs some mental work. The centre backs just got hurt when it mattered. Aird, no use rubbing it in. 

Manneh was also surprising, being more of a passer, connecting, thinking more, instead of just running at defenders. Of course vs. a team winning, he will always have less space. We need to loan out strikers now, Hurtado is not going to get any minutes this year. 

I personally think we'll be fine, we are a proper mid-table team with chances to push up a bit more. A playoff team, not much more. Unless the whole squad gets its head into really turning a corner and playing at another level.

Didn't take long for Caps to go Canadian-free this season with Froese and Aird dropped to the bench to join Sam vs KC tonight. There will be chances for young Canadians, for sure, but I find it discouraging that we are still at square one of integrating Canadians all these seasons later. The signing of NY box-to-box man Jacobson will almost certainly mean a permanent backup-up role for Teibert even after he returns from injury. I predict this is his last season in Vancouver as this, coupled with the puzzling re-signing of Flores, must be the writing on the wall so soon after the trading of Koffie brought a little glint of hope for Russ.

29 minutes ago, nolando said:

Didn't take long for Caps to go Canadian-free this season with Froese and Aird dropped to the bench to join Sam vs KC tonight. There will be chances for young Canadians, for sure, but I find it discouraging that we are still at square one of integrating Canadians all these seasons later. The signing of NY box-to-box man Jacobson will almost certainly mean a permanent backup-up role for Teibert even after he returns from injury. I predict this is his last season in Vancouver as this, coupled with the puzzling re-signing of Flores, must be the writing on the wall so soon after the trading of Koffie brought a little glint of hope for Russ.

Because they played poorly.  I'm all for Canadians, but only if they contribute positively to the squad.  Aird got burned bad and Froese was invisible for the Caps.  The Canadian players have to "earn" that spot, they should never be "entitled" to be in the starting 11 because they're Canadian.

Regarding Tiebert, I would trade him to another MLS or NASL team.  Tiebert hasn't shown great improvement in his game over the seasons he's been here.  I also think the Jacobson signing means Tiebert won't get many minutes 

Okay I could sort of see Smith for Aird for the size and hopefully defensive side but predictably he makes his usual stupid out of position tackle from behind and gets red carded at the end of the first half. So now it's Aird for the second half and next week.

Flores instead of Kianz was a head scratcher for me as Kianz played very good last week. So Flores turns the ball over repeatedly and cost us the first goal and in comes Kianz for the second half and probably next week as well. 

Let's write this one off to a very bad experiment at squad rotation. 

Nolbertos: Kianz played very well last week. The stats and his coach say so. 

1 minute ago, TRM said:

Okay I could sort of see Smith for Aird for the size and hopefully defensive side but predictably he makes his usual stupid out of position tackle from behind and gets red carded at the end of the first half. So now it's Aird for the second half and next week.

Flores instead of Kianz was a head scratcher for me as Kianz played very good last week. So Flores turns the ball over repeatedly and cost us the first goal and in comes Kianz for the second half and probably next week as well. 

Let's write this one off to a very bad experiment at squad rotation. 

So, you're saying that Robinson totally "Rob Gale'd" this game?

I'll buy that.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Because they played poorly.  I'm all for Canadians, but only if they contribute positively to the squad.  Aird got burned bad and Froese was invisible for the Caps.  The Canadian players have to "earn" that spot, they should never be "entitled" to be in the starting 11 because they're Canadian.

Hmm...it's interesting though that they were the only two changes after that shit show against Montreal.

Also, by your logic, shouldn't Tornaghi be starting this game?  Ousted got burned pretty bad, I thought.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Hmm...it's interesting though that they were the only two changes after that shit show against Montreal.

Also, by your logic, shouldn't Tornaghi be starting this game?  Ousted got burned pretty bad, I thought.

I only found one fault in the last game and that was the gaffe where he was caugh off guard in the 2nd Montreal goal.  The first one, was the Caps players for being pylons for Piatti, while he scores a wonderful strike.  Plus Tornaghi and Carducci are worse choices than Ousted.  I'd rather have a 50% fit Ousted over a 130% Carducci or 100% Tornaghi.  

Just now, nolbertos said:

I only found one fault in the last game and that was the gaffe where he was caugh off guard in the 2nd Montreal goal.  The first one, was the Caps players for being pylons for Piatti, while he scores a wonderful strike.  Plus Tornaghi and Carducci are worse choices than Ousted.  I'd rather have a 50% fit Ousted over a 130% Carducci or 100% Tornaghi.  

And Smith is clearly a better choice than Aird?

So far, I would not say so.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

And Smith is clearly a better choice than Aird?

So far, I would not say so.

Smith a better choice than Aird?? No.  I'm not a fan of Smith BTW,  I think Aird should've given a chance in this game.  He's definitely a better choice than Smith.  We can banter all nigth long if you want about the Caps hate Canada, if thats what you're alluding too.  You know who I am and what I stand for.

Actually, I don't know who you are and what you stand for.  I just find the assertion that "Aird got burned and Kianz invisible" as reasons for why they are sitting ridiculous.  The Whitecaps don't hate Canada.  They just make decisions that I disagree with.

That and I'm halfway through a bottle of wine.  So look out.

Say something about Rob Friend.  I dare you....

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Actually, I don't know who you are and what you stand for.  I just find the assertion that "Aird got burned and Kianz invisible" as reasons for why they are sitting ridiculous.  The Whitecaps don't hate Canada.  They just make decisions that I disagree with.

That and I'm halfway through a bottle of wine.  So look out.

Say something about Rob Friend.  I dare you....

If Rob Friend were playing for the Caps, I would definitely rip into him, if he played bad, but since he ain't, I'll just keep watching the game.  I'll need 4-5 pints to drown tonights game.   BTW, I don't Aird, Smith are ready to be RB starters for the Caps.  Thats one hole we haven't filled since YP Lee retired.  Also with Koffie leaving to NE, we have no player to help Laba out as DM.  Froes is not a DM, his game is more offensive oriented and Flores, well the Caps and Robbo see something in him, which I don't see, but he's young, so maybe thats his upside.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

So, you're saying that Robinson totally "Rob Gale'd" this game?

I'll buy that.

Pretty much the only explanation I can see.

We, and hopefully Robbo, now clearly knows that Kianz >>> Flores and Aird > Smith.

Putting aside nationalities for a second, I think Robinson made a mistake by benching Froese and Aird so early. They won the job out of training camp, so give them a reasonable run in the team. I also think we are seeing that Robinson's much-vaunted South and Central American 'value' picks are really a mixed bag. There's been a lot of outright busts like Rodriguez and Smith and even more mediocre players like Rivero and Mezquida. Compare to the Impact who have a mix of player nationalities and a lot of guys who proved themselves in North American leagues already (Oyongo, Shipp, Bush, Oduro, etc...).

While I agree with the gist of your thinking using Octavio and Nico for examples of mediocre is the worst picks you could have made. Rivero is stranded alone up top in the 4-5-1 game after game after game (you get the point) and yet he is effective. He isn't scoring but that will come as I don't see him being snake bitten for the whole season. Nico must be injured as he's not even making the game day 18. Last year he was a difference maker when he was on the field.

11 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Putting aside nationalities for a second, I think Robinson made a mistake by benching Froese and Aird so early. They won the job out of training camp, so give them a reasonable run in the team. I also think we are seeing that Robinson's much-vaunted South and Central American 'value' picks are really a mixed bag. There's been a lot of outright busts like Rodriguez and Smith and even more mediocre players like Rivero and Mezquida. Compare to the Impact who have a mix of player nationalities and a lot of guys who proved themselves in North American leagues already (Oyongo, Shipp, Bush, Oduro, etc...).

Robinson did the same thing last year, he does not manage the squad correctly. We have way too big a squad, excess competition, and then Robbo fails to stick with guys and give them the chance they deserve. There has to be a minimum of continuity, I mean Froese was a no-brainer. I would even have played Aird. The rest was fine. 

I am also irked by the Jacobsen trade, he may be a fine player, but what is the point of preparing your team in a training camp with a deep squad then going out and adding more filler? 

News from MLS, odd since it is an unsubstantiated rumour citing a Jamaican article, is that we are trading Mattocks to Portland, but oddly there is no word from Caps on this 2 days after it comes out: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/12/report-portland-land-forward-darren-mattocks-trade-vancouver

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Robinson did the same thing last year, he does not manage the squad correctly. We have way too big a squad, excess competition, and then Robbo fails to stick with guys and give them the chance they deserve. There has to be a minimum of continuity, I mean Froese was a no-brainer. I would even have played Aird. The rest was fine. 

I am also irked by the Jacobsen trade, he may be a fine player, but what is the point of preparing your team in a training camp with a deep squad then going out and adding more filler? 

News from MLS, odd since it is an unsubstantiated rumour citing a Jamaican article, is that we are trading Mattocks to Portland, but oddly there is no word from Caps on this 2 days after it comes out: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/12/report-portland-land-forward-darren-mattocks-trade-vancouver

Marc Weber tweeted from the Province that he confirmed that Mattocks is traded to Portland.  He's more connected with other beatnick sports peeps than most, so I'll trust his source that its official. What I don't understand is last season, Portland was one of the front runners for getting Mattocks but couldn't work out a deal.  Seems that maybe the Caps will let Mattocks go for just allocation to Portland now, which isn't much.  Glad the Mattocks saga is over, but it took too long to make something happen.  They had serious interest last season from lower Scandinavian teams, but now has to settle for a pittance.

1 hour ago, kmouseyc said:

why no questions of Pedro's performance?

Because this isn't the southsiders board where anything less than spectacular is dumped on and calls for a player to be traded (or beheaded) on the inevitable down turns throughout a season ...   :)

Besides he didn't do too bad considering we were down a many for half the game. 26 complete out of 34 passes, 1/1 in the PK, a goal called back because the whistle had gone, 2 tackles, one recovery deep in our defensive end. Not a great night but a good one.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

Because this isn't the southsiders board where anything less than spectacular is dumped on and calls for a player to be traded (or beheaded) on the inevitable down turns throughout a season ...   :)

Besides he didn't do too bad considering we were down a many for half the game. 26 complete out of 34 passes, 1/1 in the PK, a goal called back because the whistle had gone, 2 tackles, one recovery deep in our defensive end. Not a great night but a good one.

really for a dp thats a great night. I am not saying he was horrible but he sure is not running the show. He should be bossing the midfield like espinoza did to us. You sure are quick to turn on some young players who yes made some mistakes but are only learning the game at this level Pedro should be better. scored a PK that he had nothing to do with to create. Good job done. he should score.

Archived