Whitecaps 2016

TRM

I personally think Parker is going on to better things in a few years but Harvey fits your journeyman example perfectly. I remember a lot of us here talking about the role of the American journeyman years back when TFC were new and that club wasn't making effective use of them at all.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parker is the real deal.  I like him.  Harvey is a workmanlike foot soldier.  Jacobson?  Yeah, he's a role player, but I was a big fan of Koffie and regardless of the "bigger picture" (salary dump) ramifications of that trade and his perceived shortcomings amongst some supporters, I think the club is going to miss him.  He looked excellent last week against Giovinco and TFC and had another strong game this weekend vs Orlando.

But as already mentioned, the lesser likes aren't the issue with this team at the moment.  The Hollywood position guys are and they really need to pick it up, incumbents and newbies alike.  And, as nolando says, if Hurtado (aka the Latino-American Chad Barrett) is your attacking hope off the bench, then that is far from inspiring.   

Well that was good. 3-0 over Dallas. Ousted was incredible in the first half. It could have been 3-0 for Dallas at the half but for some highlight reel save of the week type plays by the Dane. I don't care what Grizzly says, Ousted is one of the top  3 if not the best keeper in MLS. He keeps us in games that we have no business being in and leads the league in saves.

Manneh was the force on offence tonight. His cross for the first goal (own goal) and finish on the third one were good but he really went at the Dallas defenders. He is a work in progress but is showing signs that he is way more than a one dimensional player.

Aird is showing that he can run with anyone. I sometimes wonder if he and Manneh did a foot race who would win. He is that fast. Still a work in progress defensively but very strong offensively and great first touch.

Hell of a result against an in form squad. Interesting to see them leave the roof open to the elements; that must have been strategic, no? 

Will Sam and/or Froese (And RT for that matter) get some minutes now that Wed matches are coming back on the menu?

15 minutes ago, nolando said:

Hell of a result against an in form squad. Interesting to see them leave the roof open to the elements; that must have been strategic, no? 

Will Sam and/or Froese (And RT for that matter) get some minutes now that Wed matches are coming back on the menu?

Given that the Wednesday game is at home you'll probably see most of the same players with one or two changes. The game after is way down east so that will probably be where we see the youth squad given more time. Hopefully they play better than the last time they went east with a youth squad.

Lots of bad giveaways last night, almost all their chances were us playing out and losing it in transition from back to middle. Very sloppy, I think we were lucky to survive the 1st half. 

Considering you have this incredibly fast player in Manneh who can use his speed with space in front of you, I simply cannot grasp what is wrong with throwing a long diagonal out there, over top the back's head. And I know that Manneh had one of the giveaways leading to a Dallas chance around centre line with a silly sloppy chip.

Way too many give aways like you said and without the huge saves it would have been over by halftime. I thought Jacobson had a poor night especially in the turnover category. Maybe Russ or Kianz gets the start beside Laba on Wednesday? We'll see. 

56 minutes ago, TRM said:

Way too many give aways like you said and without the huge saves it would have been over by halftime. I thought Jacobson had a poor night especially in the turnover category. Maybe Russ or Kianz gets the start beside Laba on Wednesday? We'll see. 

I agree about Jacobson and was surprised Russ didn't come in for him at 2-0. He looked completely shot at that point. 

18 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think with Aird's play lately he is easily the best option for Canada at RB.

I'm still unsure. Could be a great part of the strategy attacking at home against ES but presumably against Honduras there will be a fair bit of pressure to absorb. Not really a time for a guy still  learning the craft of defensive play. He is also a little rough around the edges, sloppy even, in his 1v1 marking which is easy to picture as a nightmare in a place like Honduras. Having said that I don't know that there's a great option in any case.

51 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think with Aird's play lately he is easily the best option for Canada at RB.

I've mentioned this before but especially yesterday you could tell he relies on Waston a lot for coverage. Now he and Waston have worked out their communication and coverages great but with an unfamiliar partner he gets exposed more. I don't know how he would sync up and how quickly with any of the CBs we have on the MNT. Against the better teams in our zone I'd be very worried. Pity we couldn't have had him play and get familiar against the minnows earlier in the cycle.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Lots of bad giveaways last night, almost all their chances were us playing out and losing it in transition from back to middle. Very sloppy, I think we were lucky to survive the 1st half.

Ousted made some crucial reflex saves, Dallas missed some great chances, while Seitz used Figueroa as a rebound wall to score the Caps' first goal.  Overall, that was a far from convincing performance, imo.

Aird's crossing and pace are impressive though one feels he is still learning the position - one of Dallas's many missed glorious scoring opportunities came on a free kick when Aird kept everyone on side, being slow to realize that he should have pushed up with the rest of his teammates

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Aird's crossing and pace are impressive though one feels he is still learning the position - one of Dallas's many missed glorious scoring opportunities came on a free kick when Aird kept everyone on side, being slow to realize that he should have pushed up with the rest of his teammates

I'm sure that's the kind of thing which would drive Floro nuts (well, any manager I guess, but especially the Spaniard who is the man in our NT set up).

I see improving defensive play but he's still a significant work in progress.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm sure that's the kind of thing which would drive Floro nuts (well, any manager I guess, but especially the Spaniard who is the man in our NT set up).

I see improving defensive play but he's still a significant work in progress.

Thing is we play so damn deep with Floro...

As I see it, Whitecaps are sort of without a coach. They have an alignment person, but are not really coached. I mean, "Fraser, make eye contact with the centre halves and move with them, watch the line. Tim, give Fraser a shout. Stay tight." This is the stuff you teach 14-year olds just starting 11 a side, I mean, I don't get it.

In fact the only real coach the team has is Ousted, who sees where our defensive mids and back line screw up and has to bail them out.

Hard earned 1-1 draw after Caps lost Waston to a deserved second yellow (unlike his first) early in the secondo half. Aird made some nice plays but was terribly out of position a few times. Improving with another 90 min. Teibert played a fantastic game, best I've seen from him in absolutely ages. Crosses, attacking passes, tidy defense and constant pressure. Well timed after Jacobson's off night last week. Will Robbo let Russ keep the spot or let the former NY player back in, undeserved so imo. Man Parker is a stud. Was that blood soaking through his sock?

Yea I thought Russ really played his way back into the "DM not named Laba" role tonight. Great way to shake off that return from injury performance. It makes a world of difference for him to have Laba as the other DM. I can see Laba getting a rest and Teibert / Jacobson pairing in the middle for the New York game.

I will also be interested to see how Aird does without Waston to cover for him. Hopefully he and Parker can get their communication solid as it will probably be Kah & Parker in the middle.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

Hard earned 1-1 draw after Caps lost Waston to a deserved second yellow (unlike his first) early in the secondo half. 

Ousted should be paying the club fine for Waston IMO. What the F was he doing there? If he'd just stayed on the line, Waston would have had more time to do something. Also, it should have been a straight red as it prevented a sure goal from happening. 

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Ousted should be paying the club fine for Waston IMO. What the F was he doing there? If he'd just stayed on the line, Waston would have had more time to do something. Also, it should have been a straight red as it prevented a sure goal from happening. 

Parker can pitch in some dough, too, because of his hospital pass.

On April 24, 2016 at 7:20 AM, TRM said:

I don't think Froese has seen the bench since his sub appearance at DC United.

Pretty poor overall from Caps vs a poor NY. Acres of space for NY's attackers on numerous occasions, on the second and third goals most notably. Sam didn't look particularly effective at either end of the pitch and was the goat out of position and ballwatching on the matchwinner. Jacobson was poor too which must have been infuriating for Teibert, who was sitting on the bench after Wednesday's stellar performance. Much to contemplate for Robbo over the next 3  matches in 8 days stretch as I think he got it wrong again today vs. a team they should have easily handled.

On a crap pitch that small anything can happen. NYFC should play everyone 7v7 to make it more like a real game.

That said Sam was rusty but did have great weight on a pass up to Manneh. Defending was poor. On the other side of the defence all I can say is Aird has no competition yet. At least he didn't get red carded.

17 hours ago, nolando said:

Pretty poor overall from Caps vs a poor NY. Acres of space for NY's attackers on numerous occasions, on the second and third goals most notably. Sam didn't look particularly effective at either end of the pitch and was the goat out of position and ballwatching on the matchwinner. Jacobson was poor too which must have been infuriating for Teibert, who was sitting on the bench after Wednesday's stellar performance. Much to contemplate for Robbo over the next 3  matches in 8 days stretch as I think he got it wrong again today vs. a team they should have easily handled.

Ironic that on a postage stamp-sized pitch an opponent could have acres of space but NYC looked to have just that, while the Caps (Jacobson) got quickly closed down, exposed, and punished for the first goal.  Adekugbe looked off the pace at this level.  At the moment, neither starting fullback yesterday looks like a threat to unseat the regular starter.

Archived