Whitecaps 2016

TRM

12 hours ago, TRM said:

It is difficult to rule the goal out because the offensive player was closer (Perez had the inside position). If the defender wants to jump straight up fine but if he is going to jump across or into the offensive player then it's his fault if he gets hit. Not wishing for a player to get their head kicked on a play like that but defenders have to accept some responsibility for their actions. As it was the defender wisely pulled back and his head was 3 feet from Perez's foot at the time of contact. They were showing a half dozen angles of it in super slow motion on TSN's highlight reel. 

The fact that the ball went in and the place was going nuts did probably weigh on the refs mind but at no point did he start to raise his whistle so he made his mind up early not to call it. The place going nuts probably re-enforced his decision. Away game or home doesn't matter, it depends on the ref involved and if they are influenced by crowds. I'm not a fan of Toledo but he doesn't seem easily influenced by players, coaches or crowds.

Perez didn't see the ball go in. He got up and realized the place was going nuts and that he had scored. He saw the keeper with his hand in the air and was probably wondering if it counted. That was the reason for his delay.

I have seen plays like that whistled down dozens of times. Every time I watch the repeat I am relieved there is no call. 

I think one factor was the referee angle, this happens all the time. What you have in front of you is foreground and is given priority in analyzing the play, and what is further back is backgrounded and tiered below that. This also happens on offsides, linesman call close offsides if the attacker is in front and defender behind, and leave them if the defender is in front and the attacker behind. Because the field of vision is "filled" by what is closer, basic principle of perspective. 

The ref had Blas in full view and a guy behind who gestures in with his head. If he'd been on the other side of the box the ref might have called it differently. 

Never mind the whole question of getting a break as a home team, but lets leave that out for now. 

I know it would be hard for me to justify this theory with clear facts, but a lot of typical calls in soccer depend a lot on the way the ref runs the diagonal, which alters his angle. For example, there tend to me more dubious penalties called deep in the box on the respective keeper's right side, the ref's side, as there is no linesman the ref can go to for help. Has anyone else seen this?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see the play, but IF a ball is at head height then the defender has every right to lean in and get his head on it regardless of "position" and whether the attacker is in the process of making a scissor kick. If the attackers boot makes contact with the defenders head then it is a foul and potentially a card for dangerous play.

Ok, just noticed the clip is posted above. Well the defender was late coming over to defend and the leg did not make contact with the defender so that is not a foul on Blas Perez. If the defender had gotten there earlier and made a play on the ball and gotten kicked in the process then it would have been a foul.

Damn. So much to like about tonight's game against TFC. First we won which always makes me happy, second 4 starters were Canucks (2 for each team), third it was a total barn burner flat out GO FOR IT type game, fourth it was our first win at BMO in Toronto.

TFC really rely on Gio for offence. Holy crap. The guy scores or assists on EVERY goal so far. Here's hoping the Italian NT coach has a brain fart and doesn't call him up.

Like I said last game, I don't know who is coaching Manneh and Hurtado but they are genius. I mean we have here 2 players who have relied on speed their entire career and gotten away with it and a room temperature IQ for the total game looking like Einstein soccer IQ players now. The 4-4-1-1 was a great choice and worked to perfection by the 2 forwards.

Can finally post here normally, does anyone get that where you try to post and you get a quote you posted on a few hours or days before? That forces you to have that quote box  with another's avatar, even if you don't want it? This even persists after logging out an returning. 

My wild and crazy post is on the TFC thread. Here I just want to say that the reffing was incredibly biased, did anyone else feel that? And that we had some really good phases. Just after our 2nd, m. 20-25, we controlled really well, with short mid and long passing, very good off the ball movement, and playing like a cohesive team. Also, our pressuring and positional defense, pushing up high, was the best I've seen in a long time. Teibert or Laba or Pedro rushing out of the back midfield to challenge higher up, all to cut off the easy angles into Gio: that was good tactical coaching Robbo, glad to see it. 

If you analyze their chances, yes, they got a lot of corners. Shots wide. They got a soft penalty after a foul could've been called our way just before. They got soft fouls for dangerous free kicks. They got a man up when that first yellow on Aird was a huge joke, a disgrace of a card (and no, I don't think the 2nd deserved a red, it was a routine yellow and bad luck but he'll be crucified for it by the league). We could not break them down in the middle as the ref did not allow us to put a body or foot in after our 2nd goal. 

So I think it was a very good performance, and with most of the team having played twice the previous week, even better. 

9 hours ago, TRM said:

Damn. So much to like about tonight's game against TFC. First we won which always makes me happy, second 4 starters were Canucks (2 for each team), third it was a total barn burner flat out GO FOR IT type game, fourth it was our first win at BMO in Toronto.

TFC really rely on Gio for offence. Holy crap. The guy scores or assists on EVERY goal so far. Here's hoping the Italian NT coach has a brain fart and doesn't call him up.

Like I said last game, I don't know who is coaching Manneh and Hurtado but they are genius. I mean we have here 2 players who have relied on speed their entire career and gotten away with it and a room temperature IQ for the total game looking like Einstein soccer IQ players now. The 4-4-1-1 was a great choice and worked to perfection by the 2 forwards.

I also agree that Manneh has stepped up in ways I never thought he could. And that Hurtado has really matured too. Add to that the smart idea of having Morales deeper, helping with the creation of play from the back, and yes, praise to coaching and praise to the individual players for responding.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also agree that Manneh has stepped up in ways I never thought he could. And that Hurtado has really matured too. Add to that the smart idea of having Morales deeper, helping with the creation of play from the back, and yes, praise to coaching and praise to the individual players for responding.

Yes to all those piling on Robbo not being a real coach him and his staff did show some could tactical awarness. Also props to the players for understanding and playing the system.

Any one think that Bolanos had a good game but for such an experienced player made some bad decisions with the ball at the back. When you are up one or two goals playing out of the back is not necessary all the time. Sometimes putting your foot through the ball and sending it to the opposite corner of the field is just as good. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also, our pressuring and positional defense, pushing up high, was the best I've seen in a long time. Teibert or Laba or Pedro rushing out of the back midfield to challenge higher up, all to cut off the easy angles into Gio: that was good tactical coaching Robbo, glad to see it.

I didn't read your post here before I posted mine on the TFC thread but I agree with you.  The Caps' mids outplayed the trio playing in front of Bradley and when you force Giovinco to come back 50 yards from your goal get service, that's bonus.

As to the officiating. It gets to a point where you are a team known for aggressive defending and fouls so the officials tend to look for it. We do play very aggressive defensively and that tends to get called or called worse than it was (cards when there shouldn't be).

I don't know any way out of that except to go several games without fouling. We are second only to Colorado in fouls committed. Plus 61 (FC - FS) for them and plus 31 for us.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can finally post here normally, does anyone get that where you try to post and you get a quote you posted on a few hours or days before? That forces you to have that quote box  with another's avatar, even if you don't want it? This even persists after logging out an returning. 

My wild and crazy post is on the TFC thread. Here I just want to say that the reffing was incredibly biased, did anyone else feel that? And that we had some really good phases. Just after our 2nd, m. 20-25, we controlled really well, with short mid and long passing, very good off the ball movement, and playing like a cohesive team. Also, our pressuring and positional defense, pushing up high, was the best I've seen in a long time. Teibert or Laba or Pedro rushing out of the back midfield to challenge higher up, all to cut off the easy angles into Gio: that was good tactical coaching Robbo, glad to see it. 

If you analyze their chances, yes, they got a lot of corners. Shots wide. They got a soft penalty after a foul could've been called our way just before. They got soft fouls for dangerous free kicks. They got a man up when that first yellow on Aird was a huge joke, a disgrace of a card (and no, I don't think the 2nd deserved a red, it was a routine yellow and bad luck but he'll be crucified for it by the league). We could not break them down in the middle as the ref did not allow us to put a body or foot in after our 2nd goal. 

So I think it was a very good performance, and with most of the team having played twice the previous week, even better. 

try clearing your cookies, that should solve that problem

Manneh is a money-maker for Whitecaps. Looks like the penny has dropped. Great game by the 'Caps. 

On 15-5-2016 at 4:03 AM, TRM said:

That's a problem. Part of it is a US international striker who cannot even score on a PK... I must say Endoh has been looking better than the in the first few games though. 

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

Manneh is a money-maker for Whitecaps. Looks like the penny has dropped. Great game by the 'Caps. 

That's a problem. Part of it is a US international striker who cannot even score on a PK... I must say Endoh has been looking better than the in the first few games though. 

Funny how Kurt Larson was all up in arms as to how a reporter could question that Altidore doesn't have a goal yet and poor Altidore was all offended.  Like what do you think this is?  You're one of the highest paid strikers in the league, if you want to be on Keane/Villa money then put the ball in the net don't suddenly pretend that your role is changed and it's okay.  

Pretty annoying too that Giovinco would let Altidore take the PK.  If we were up 2-0 fine and I get you feel bad that your teammate hasn't scored yet but come on... you're the best taker in the league and we need a goal.  

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Pretty annoying too that Giovinco would let Altidore take the PK.  If we were up 2-0 fine and I get you feel bad that your teammate hasn't scored yet but come on... you're the best taker in the league and we need a goal.  

I don't know who's decision that was but it was obviously a poor one and maybe a turning point in the match, the other annoying thing is every time Giovinco lines up to take a free kick Bradley will be close by pouting because he isn't taking it!

On 5/16/2016 at 10:33 AM, Keegan said:

Prior to that PK, Altidore had a 100% scoring record on penalties (3/3) for TFC.

On 8/4/2016 at 0:56 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

So you believe a top ten team in arguably the best league in the world would waste a roster or bench spot on a player they believe to have "no soccer brain" and only because of his "athletic ability?"

Pérez is the only other player I can think who could get in. 

On 15 May, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, I thought I was the only Milhouse.  It happens to me too.  I hope this quote goes away soon.

On 2016-05-29 at 2:53 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love it when things are so shite no one posts on a game. 

I was watching RM win the Champions then could not stomach any more.

Sickened me to see RM win. Great goal to tie it up. Despite having a defender pulling his arm with both hands and throwing his balance off he gets a foot on the ball and scores. Damn shame about the post.

After that the 1-1 draw with the basement dwelling Houston was not much of a cheer up for me. We got to take max points off the bottom teams or we will be one. There was more discussion of it in the Canadians In MLS thread.

On 15 May, 2016 at 7:46 PM, Coramoor said:

try clearing your cookies, that should solve that problem

I'm obviously not of the computer generation.  You know you're old when you read "clearing your cookies" and you think it's a euphemism for vomitting.

• 2 weeks later...

A 1-2 loss to New England. Say what you want about Kamara but he is a beast on long balls. Constantly getting to them in the air and getting it to his team mates. On our side we played very good but couldn't finish our chances except for the great FK by Nico. Not having Rivero, Morales or Waston didn't really hurt us as much as I thought it would. Count on all 3 starting in Toronto for the first leg of the V's Cup. Just couldn't finish.

On 19/6/2016 at 3:29 AM, TRM said:

A 1-2 loss to New England. Say what you want about Kamara but he is a beast on long balls. Constantly getting to them in the air and getting it to his team mates. On our side we played very good but couldn't finish our chances except for the great FK by Nico. Not having Rivero, Morales or Waston didn't really hurt us as much as I thought it would. Count on all 3 starting in Toronto for the first leg of the V's Cup. Just couldn't finish.

Exactly, that kind of performance is not terribly worrying. It is what our team does, for better or worse. We missed a lot and had better chances. Their goals were properly taken as well, but as Robbo said, we deserved more. 

I am no fan of US players but what you get from these guys in mentality and dedication is undeniable, thinking of Parker, who is a sophomore, with Jacobson, out of position. And Harvey, not our weaker link at the back (Smith was). Journeymen Americans who I respect as serious professionals. Wish we had more Canadians like that, maybe it is a question of opportunities, but I think it might be more related to what US competitive mentality is all about.

Archived