Whitecaps 2016

TRM

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

It's official. The best young striker in MLS has been traded for 2 MLS things:

http://www.timbers.com/post/2016/03/14/portland-timbers-acquire-attacker-darren-mattocks-vancouver-whitecaps-fc

Stop being so cynical. It was THREE MLS things:

"Targeted Allocation Money in 2016, and General Allocation Money and an international roster slot in 2017, it was announced today"

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, kmouseyc said:

really for a dp thats a great night. I am not saying he was horrible but he sure is not running the show. He should be bossing the midfield like espinoza did to us. You sure are quick to turn on some young players who yes made some mistakes but are only learning the game at this level Pedro should be better. scored a PK that he had nothing to do with to create. Good job done. he should score.

No he wasn't bossing the midfield for us like Espinosa did for KC but he wasn't the liability that he has been from time to time. I said he had a good night not a great one. Definitely not a DP level night.

And since when have I turned on young players? Yes I point out their deficiencies but also their good points like Aird's first game. Unless there are no good points like like Flores in the first game. Smith? He has been a red card waiting to happen since he arrived.

Even Mattocks being shipped out I see as more of his not being a holding forward type of player than anything else. We play the lone forward formation to death and his skills aren't made for that role. I just hope he doesn't come back to bite us later.

22 hours ago, TRM said:

No he wasn't bossing the midfield for us like Espinosa did for KC but he wasn't the liability that he has been from time to time. I said he had a good night not a great one. Definitely not a DP level night.

And since when have I turned on young players? Yes I point out their deficiencies but also their good points like Aird's first game. Unless there are no good points like like Flores in the first game. Smith? He has been a red card waiting to happen since he arrived.

Even Mattocks being shipped out I see as more of his not being a holding forward type of player than anything else. We play the lone forward formation to death and his skills aren't made for that role. I just hope he doesn't come back to bite us later.

I agree for the most part, I am just surprised that no one is pointing out the deficiencies of Pedro's two games. I also agree about the lone forward. And to be fair it is a lot of the others piling on the young players. 

I think since the right back position is an issue and Pedro is not finding success in this formation try something else. Classic 4-4-2 would be a good way to cover for the right back and change up the attack. You could move Parker to right back Pa and waston in the middle harvey on the left. Aird and techera or manneh on the wings,and laba,bolanos, in the middle and Perez, octavio up top. Change the line up however you feel. I just think this formation would help ease into things and help build players confidence because almost everyone knows this system from day one. 

Mattocks was fast. full stop. No that is to harsh. just did not see him developing the soccer brain enough, good skills and good team mate wish him the best of luck, but not against us.

I also want to through this out there and see what others think. Russ Teibert right back? I think he could adapt. and you have the size to cover with waston ,parker.

Funny but when YP Lee was retiring I was suggesting Russ for RB. Our OCD with the 4-5-1 really limits us and Techera on the right mid doesn't supply much defensively. Parker at RB and a 4-4-2 would be worth trying but I doubt we will see anything but the 4-5-1

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

Froese has been suspended 1 game by MLS for a "reckless challenge". Guess Andrew Jacobson will be making his debut in Seattle.

That or they'll put Flores back in .... Jacobson it will be  :)

That is really bad. 2 weeks in a row we've got extra suspensions. Damn and double damn. I was looking forward to Kianz getting the start in Seattle.

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

Froese has been suspended 1 game by MLS for a "reckless challenge". Guess Andrew Jacobson will be making his debut in Seattle.

Guess we will get a good look at Jacobson.Does Robbo change formations?

The froese suspension is more reasonable considering the tackle versus the bolanos tackle. I thought that the referee handled it fine. The league should stop undermining the referees authority.

Well we get 3 points out of Seattle but the Sounders got "Geiger'd" on the first goal. It looked like he tripped on the turf.

Wonder of it all was we played the 4-4-2, and played it well. An actual formation change by choice and it was nice seeing not having Rivero up top alone. Having Perez up top along side was very good.

41 minutes ago, TRM said:

Well we get 3 points out of Seattle but the Sounders got "Geiger'd" on the first goal. It looked like he tripped on the turf.

Wonder of it all was we played the 4-4-2, and played it well. An actual formation change by choice and it was nice seeing not having Rivero up top alone. Having Perez up top along side was very good.

de Vos showed in the second half that it was a foul. Bolanos' left foot was clipped by Jones' left leg as he was cutting to try and close off Bolanos.

Soft PK at best. We've been Geiger'd in the past so this was Seattle's turn.

Anyway Aird played very good and seems to have worked out coverage with Waston for switchoffs etc. He is one fast player so here's hoping he gets more time. He didn't do anything to hurt his case tonight.

Next week will be weird. Both our starting backs will be away along with Perez & Bolanos.

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

de Vos showed in the second half that it was a foul. Bolanos' left foot was clipped by Jones' left leg as he was cutting to try and close off Bolanos.

Not sure how it's a soft PK? Bolanos is in front of the defender and the defender tripped him gaining an unfair advantage. Correct call IMO and it should always be called. The problem is that slight touches like that are very difficult to see for the ref, often it look like a dive but it isn't. 

I know he was playing out of position and he did put home both penalties, but I thought Morales was poor in this role. He only had one or two of his trademark long passes (granted, one did put in Perez) but his defending and defensive positioning was awful, and he was sloppy on the ball much of the game.

This team really misses Teibert.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I know he was playing out of position and he did put home both penalties, but I thought Morales was poor in this role. He only had one or two of his trademark long passes (granted, one did put in Perez) but his defending and defensive positioning was awful, and he was sloppy on the ball much of the game.

This team really misses Teibert.

I agree with your first point wholeheartedly. Hard to believe a guy with both the goals for the winning team could also have been one of the poorer players on the pitch, which he really was. Again, to graduate from a good team to a great team you really need your star offensive DPs to play like game-changing stars more often than not. We got lucky in tbhis match and probably desrved no more than a tie given the two dodgy penalty calls.

The jury's out on your second point as RT must really have the battle of his career on his hands once he comes back to full health vs. Jacobson as this guy brings in a hell of a CV and, on paper at least, has everything that Russ doesn't have (height, consistent ball-winning,overseas experience etc.) while having many of the skills that he does have. I still see Teibert as a career swiss-army knife player, a 12th man at best on a really good MLS side. And that pains me to say, as I have always been (and will continue to be) a huge fan of many parts of his game.

8 hours ago, nolando said:

I agree with your first point wholeheartedly. Hard to believe a guy with both the goals for the winning team could also have been one of the poorer players on the pitch, which he really was. Again, to graduate from a good team to a great team you really need your star offensive DPs to play like game-changing stars more often than not. We got lucky in tbhis match and probably desrved no more than a tie given the two dodgy penalty calls.

The jury's out on your second point as RT must really have the battle of his career on his hands once he comes back to full health vs. Jacobson as this guy brings in a hell of a CV and, on paper at least, has everything that Russ doesn't have (height, consistent ball-winning,overseas experience etc.) while having many of the skills that he does have. I still see Teibert as a career swiss-army knife player, a 12th man at best on a really good MLS side. And that pains me to say, as I have always been (and will continue to be) a huge fan of many parts of his game.

essentially  I agree,but would like to add it still is a better performance from Pedro.And yes for his ability he should be cleaner with his touches, but at least he was more involved from this formation.Onward and upward! go caps!

Another PK for the win in a 1-0 victory against Houston. How long can we go without a non-PK goal? We really can't count on getting goals every game that way. Given that 4 of our players including both starting CBs were gone for International play a win is a very good result. Starting to get concerned about our lack of non-PK goals.

17 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I should have posted my question asking about RT's return from injury here and not the Canadians in MLS 2016 thread.

Opps. I answered it in the other thread so that is 2 of us without enough coffee yet.

Funny how WC have not had a really good game yet, have not really seemed like we were at all together as a team yet, but are actually up there in the table. We look like preseason still. It's like, losing did not matter, cause they were dumb losses, and winning does not matter much because they were dumb wins. 

I think when the team gets on a roll it might be fun, because we have a lot of talent on the field, as much or more than last year. 

2 dumb losses and 2 dumb wins. That about sums it up so far this season. I'm sure we'll break out of it. I'd like to see us top our point total from last year and finish above 3rd overall.

I'm hoping they get on a roll because we have a fun team to watch. The play with our LB/RB and mid field is improving. Aird especially seems to link up with whoever is playing on the right mid. Manneh is looking for the passes a lot more so that is good. I we can get some goals from open play and force other teams to play overly aggressive it opens the burn on the counter which is our mainstay.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

2 dumb losses and 2 dumb wins. That about sums it up so far this season. I'm sure we'll break out of it. I'd like to see us top our point total from last year and finish above 3rd overall.

I'm hoping they get on a roll because we have a fun team to watch. The play with our LB/RB and mid field is improving. Aird especially seems to link up with whoever is playing on the right mid. Manneh is looking for the passes a lot more so that is good. I we can get some goals from open play and force other teams to play overly aggressive it opens the burn on the counter which is our mainstay.

Manneh has a new touch of tactical maturity that surprises me, I did not think he could make the step. If he becomes a smart player, and improves his passing touch, he just might realize his potential. 

Whitecaps are going to be fine this year, I agree we are likely to do the same as last year or a bit better.

A 0-0 draw against LA tonight. Down a man for an hour (Laba) due to a straight red, two players injured and subbed out (Morales & Manneh). Tough first half. Even down a player we managed some chances. I must say our passing is really good when we have a ton of central/south american players on the pitch.

Manneh ... sigh. We give the guy a compliment and then he coughs the ball up twice in dangerous areas. Ugg. Luckily it didn't cost us. He is passing better but needs to get rid of the ball quicker. Anyway I hope his injury isn't bad.

Jacobson subbing in for Morales but playing Laba's role looked very good. I think everyone else not named Laba  just moved down a notch for the DM position.

At least the coach is trying the 4-4-2. I think next weekend with Laba out we'll see the 4-2-3-1 (aka 4-5-1).

The guy who I am most jazzed to see back is Mezquida. For my money, Niko would have been the Caps's breakout player last year had he not gotten injured toward the last third of the season. He might not have Morales's vision and amazing long range passing, but he's quick, creative and a frickin buzz saw of activity. He links well with the other Uruguayans, and showed some chemistry with Bolanos when he came on.  Love to see him with Froese, with Laba or RT holding. Caps showed some nice things despite playing down a man for a hour. They are rounding into form. Aird is learning fast!

Just finishing the the Galaxy game.

Man that Laba tackle did not look like a red but as De Vos explained the players we're told ahead of the season that all straight leg challenges would be red. 

I think Aird had a pretty good game, still a couple mistakes but he has improved since his first game. And man is he quick, he had one run in the first half that was broken up but his sprint back into position was ridiculous. His ball into the box in the first half that was just out of reach of one of the Caps (can't remember who) was brilliant. That's not the kind of ball that Henry or Ledgerwood could deliver. If he continues to play and play well you have to think he's the RB starter in September.

Overall positive stuff.

September? Five months might be about right. It depends on how his defensive side develops. He's got all the tools and like you said can play the RB role offensively very well. His speed gets him back in position to defend and he is getting better.

One thing that would concern me is that he relies on Waston or Parker a lot. Now their communication is excellent but would he be in sync with whoever we have at CB on the MNT? For some reason I think a solid defender at RB like Henry makes Floro (and me) sleep better at night. Henry might not have as much going forward but is one tough SOB to beat. His 1v1 defending is very good.

Looks like Teibert is back to training this week after 7 weeks off. Froese cleared concussion protocol as well. Doesn't sound like Teibert will start, but he may feature on Saturday. Would have to think with Laba suspended and Morales injured, Jacobsen is in for sure, and probably Froese as well, with Teibert having a chance for a sub appearance.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps+teibert+thankful+back+playing+after+ankle+injury/11836938/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Archived