NASL West Coast Expansion

masster

4 hours ago, ted said:

Up to four teams?!?  A bit crazy-ambitious 

Here's the reality we're all having trouble adapting to: after a long, tough, two-decade slog, MLS is successful. And Americans are getting used to watching soccer on television (though not yet MLS). Everyone else is looking at that and saying "I can get a piece of that action."

Personally, I think they're overestimating the audience for soccer and misunderstand the amount of money it still takes to put a product out there that enough North Americans will watch but it's, for the most part, leading to a capital investment boom in the game, so I'm not complaining.

15 hours ago, Michael Crampton said:

Here's the reality we're all having trouble adapting to: after a long, tough, two-decade slog, MLS is successful. And Americans are getting used to watching soccer on television (though not yet MLS). Everyone else is looking at that and saying "I can get a piece of that action."

Personally, I think they're overestimating the audience for soccer and misunderstand the amount of money it still takes to put a product out there that enough North Americans will watch but it's, for the most part, leading to a capital investment boom in the game, so I'm not complaining.

I think there is another possible explanation, that helps explain sports in the US. In basketball and US football they have college seasons, and fans get a good dose of both following their team all over the country. You can live in a city with no hope of a major pro team, and watch a top level basketball or US football team (Spokane, or Tuscaloosa). This compensates the limit of pro teams to that 30-32 range. 

In baseball, as we know Triple A is fairly popular as well, it is a clear 2nd division, feeds directly into pro so you feel you are watching future or former stars. There is a bit of compensation there for not having a top MLB team. 

Since soccer does not have a substantial college following, you are going to be able to reasonably consider a pro league of the standard size, and a 2nd market covering another 30 odd cities like Triple-A (Triple-A is exactly 30 teams in the US playing in stadiums averaging capacity 10,000, plus the Mexico Triple-A, another 20 teams). Just like college football and basketball gives you the sport in a lot of places with no top pro teams, you will be able to do the same with soccer. The only two MLS cities with Triple-A baseball are Columbus and Salt Lake, all the rest are smaller markets except maybe OKC. 

Take a look at Triple-A cities and you get a lot of places that would work well for a soccer D2, and very few that could ever expect or suceed with an MLS franchise in a 32-team league (maybe just Las Vegas, OKC and Charlotte).

Good to see more clubs being created, but this seems rushed, and might be repeating the mistakes of the past.

This stupid MLS-NASL-USL pissing fest needs to end.

Owners who are in for the long-haul (i.e. 5-10 years of losses, just like the original MLS investors), and are willing to build small, soccer-specific stadia have to be the priority.

3 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

Good to see more clubs being created, but this seems rushed, and might be repeating the mistakes of the past.

This stupid MLS-NASL-USL pissing fest needs to end.

Owners who are in for the long-haul (i.e. 5-10 years of losses, just like the original MLS investors), and are willing to build small, soccer-specific stadia have to be the priority.

The San Franciso/Bay Area club as well as the investor group looking into starting a NASL expansion club in Orange county/LA  have apparently been working behind the scene's since middle of last year so not a case of those 2 being a rush job. The potential Las Vegas club seems to be a group wanting to purchase the San Antonio Scorpions NASL club/rights and move them to sin city.

Its hard to get the first club committed out west as they don't want to be the only one in that region but once the first club is approved(which is coming shortly) I can see another 2 likely following soon after to also start in 2017.

18 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Could someone please explain what happened in San Antonio for the city's NASL team to fold? I recall the team was very well supported.  

The owner Gordon Hartmann decided to sell the club and stadium about a year ago to use the funds from the sale to expand his Morgans Wonderland amusement park for children and adults with special cognitive and physical needs. Recently (December) the city bought the stadium only and contracted Spurs Sports & Entertainment (SSE) to manage the stadium. SSE decided to start a new D3 Usl team from scratch as they have held the Usl rights for San Antonio since about 2010.

Hartman has his money from the stadium deal and is happy with that and has no further interest in running the Scorpions any longer. The Scorpions NASL club/rights apparently are in the process of being sold to a Las Vegas group who wants to start an NASL club in that city. Info has leaked that the group has registered the "Las Vegas Scorpions" name in the state of Nevada recently. If that sale or none other doesn't happen then the club would officially fold which hasn't happened yet, at this point they are still owned by Hartman and not participating in the 2016 season.

On 24/01/2016 at 5:28 PM, CDNFootballer said:

The San Franciso/Bay Area club as well as the investor group looking into starting a NASL expansion club in Orange county/LA  have apparently been working behind the scene's since middle of last year so not a case of those 2 being a rush job.

Let's hope so. The last San Fran club lasted only one year, and was the same propped-up-by-a-Euro-club model as this new OKC Rayo outfit.

On 26/1/2016 at 9:09 PM, Blue and White Army said:

Let's hope so. The last San Fran club lasted only one year, and was the same propped-up-by-a-Euro-club model as this new OKC Rayo outfit.

I think the difference was important, the SF team was a caprice of Dimitry Piterman at Alavés, who was your classic ego-driven owner doing things irrationally with no long-term committment. Rayo is a much more serious team now, actually plays very well and in fact over their heads, and has a major Chinese sponsor they make decisions with. 

The SF team had nothing to do with Alavés as a historically quality club, though I recall they might have taken some of their players on loan. 

I have been critical of what Rayo is doing, for me it does not benefit them in any real way. but I think they will actually do things properly nonetheless, and their choice of coach and signings so far does suggest this to be the case.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have been critical of what Rayo is doing, for me it does not benefit them in any real way. but I think they will actually do things properly nonetheless, and their choice of coach and signings so far does suggest this to be the case.

It's worth noting that Rayo Vallecano fans are very unhappy about the club's investment in this new NASL team. The Rayo stadium is dilapidated and in desperate need of refurbishment, from what I hear. Don't be surprised if politics back home in Spain gets ugly over this.

Having the financial support of a La Liga club could prove either helpful or a hindrance. A potential Achilles heel for this new NASL side.

Signings thus far have been promising. Let's hope the club proves stable.

There's a recent interview going around with the NASL commish where he talks about the departure of Atlanta and San Antonio. That alone is interesting, but relevant to here, he makes a comment that the league did indeed look at Las Vegas to relocate the San Antonio club, but it didn't pass the board of governors. After what seemed to be some quick approvals in 2015, it's good to hear they're still being somewhat careful about owners. 

On 29/1/2016 at 2:55 AM, Blue and White Army said:

It's worth noting that Rayo Vallecano fans are very unhappy about the club's investment in this new NASL team. The Rayo stadium is dilapidated and in desperate need of refurbishment, from what I hear. Don't be surprised if politics back home in Spain gets ugly over this.

Having the financial support of a La Liga club could prove either helpful or a hindrance. A potential Achilles heel for this new NASL side.

Signings thus far have been promising. Let's hope the club proves stable.

Have to say I have been at the Rayo stadium, and in Vallecas which is a working class neighbourhood hit hard by the crisis, and yes, it is not great--but if you asked any of them if they'd prefer money for signings to stay up in top flight or fixing the stadium, you can be sure what they'd answer. It is just an old and not too special place, if you've been to Loftus Road, QPR stadium, like that (don't know if theyve fixed it up, was there maybe 8 years ago).

Rayo according to stats I've read has the least followers outside of their immediate geography than any team in Spain, you can see Celta or Real Sociedad or Betis shirts anywhere (I see guys at the gym, for example), but never Rayo. So they do have a need to raise their brand a bit, I would imagine they sell the least shirts in the country.

On 2016-01-26 at 5:28 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

This was covered in a CSN podcast (and elsewhere) a while ago. The Spurs group talked to the NASL but chose the USL instead for a variety of reasons, including an easier pathway to a MLS bid.

There was no choice between NASL or USL for SSE - they have a D3 Usl license held since 2010 when they initially tried to start a Usl team which includes a non compete clause.

As for the "easier pathway to a MLS bid" that's total BS - MLS is interested in the $$$ and doesn't care if a club is in NASL, USL, or doesn't exist yet and is starting from scratch.

The guy that wrote that kinda trolls a lot of NASL fans. Not to the point where I think he's out there, but there are some concerns IMO. This is the same group that wanted to have "beer drones" when they were involved with Fort Lauderdale.

Speaking of Evan Ream, he was mentioning that it sounds like both the San Fran club and the rumored Orange County NASL club might be announced in March.

On 7 februari 2016 at 10:56 PM, masster said:

A blog post on what is going on in San Francisco. I find it discouraging that some people can be so negative. Give the ownership group a chance before dismissing them:
http://www.indomitablecitysoccer.com/2016/1/31/10881452/the-san-francisco-nasl-team-is-in-the-tyson-zone

It's coming from a rival clubs fan, so maybe it's not too surprising. However after reading this, I must admit that strange choices have been made there. 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

It's coming from a rival clubs fan, so maybe it's not too surprising. However after reading this, I must admit that strange choices have been made there. 

I agree, that article may have coloured my thoughts on this Delta's name, which is totally terrible, and makes me think that maybe, yes, the project is not too solid. 

Archived