NASL Adds Oklahoma Club Backed by La Liga Team for 2016-RAYO OKC

CDNFootballer

NASL Announces New Club in Oklahoma City

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/11/10/nasl-announces-new-club-in-oklahoma-city

La Liga’s Rayo Vallecano de Madrid has teamed up with local businessman Sean Jones to bring a North American Soccer League (NASL) club to Oklahoma City. Rayo OKC will begin play in the 2016 NASL Spring Season.

The club unveiled its official name, crest, and red and white color scheme at a press conference in Yukon, Okla. on Tuesday afternoon. The name, Rayo OKC, directly reflects its unique partnership with Rayo Vallecano de Madrid, which becomes the first ever La Liga side to invest in a pro soccer club in North America.

“Our launch of Rayo OKC is another groundbreaking addition to the international soccer community,” said NASL Commissioner Bill Peterson. “The club’s unique partnership with Rayo Vallecano de Madrid highlights the global nature of the game and the global vision of the league. Rayo OKC will be the first American club able to take advantage of the expertise of La Liga to identify top players and build its roster accordingly.”

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree it's a bonehead decision on Rayo's part, it makes no sense except maybe on one single level.

It competes with a new team in a relatively weak market. It will take some of their fans but not all, may draw some new ones, but cannot offer fans the attraction of MLS and could only be somewhat better than the USL option.

It is not a good place from where to build their brand. They are just doing it because there is the Thunder so they are the Lightning, huge logical operation there. There is not even a strong youth soccer base in OKC.

In any case, the 2nd lowest budget in top-flight Spain (Eibar is lowest), with about 2/3s coming from TV rights, does not need a boost from the US,don't think, Needs to stay in top flight and build the brand in Spain, which is not that likely to happen, they could fall out any year and stay out.

As is, not a single soul in Spain outside of Vallecas follows this team, even teams in 2nd or 3rd tier Spain have bigger followings beyond their towns, like Oviedo, or Cadiz, Osasuna. Though in fact the team plays very well, must be said, with one of the greatest coaches in the league Paco Jémez, a real master. And give them this: they do a proper job with their youth. They were even a pioneer in women's soccer in Spain and still have their team in women's top flight.

The theory is that they have this Chinese sponsor who can use NASL to help gain brand identity in the US. Here I wonder, if they think their brand and their sponsor could make use of this investment in the US, and how. Their former owners, the Ruiz Mateos family, were real crooks, so maybe they are trying to remake the image after that.

But exactly what tv and press exposure does the league have? It is followed in the cities where there are teams, but unlike MLS, the drop off is very sharp beyond them.

I don't get it, it seems to me, basically, that someone is goofing around, it is about a cool idea, a caprice, with no proper due diligence.

So, my doomsaying about the NASL while not proven by this ridiculous decision, certainly has more evidence. This is a desperate move; a huge gamble meant as a direct challenge to USL. This one market could be the focal point of the war for D2 status.

So, my doomsaying about the NASL while not proven by this ridiculous decision, certainly has more evidence. This is a desperate move; a huge gamble meant as a direct challenge to USL. This one market could be the focal point of the war for D2 status.

I like NASL and want them to succeed.  But even I have to admit it is looking bad with decisions like this.  The league is better off doing nothing than continuing the fight they lost with USL Pro in OKC.  NASL should be trying to set up Rayo to succeed somewhere else.  If others (like Celtic) see this fail, any future interest in franchises will dry up.

Not sure what Rayo Vallecano and Glascow Celtic see in starting a NASL franchise, but the league needs to make every effort to make it work.

My thoughts on Rayo OKC :

Positives : adds another club to the NASL, PR wise its good for the NASL to show a La Liga club is investing and could spur 1 or 2 other Euro clubs (Celtic) to invest in a team, Rayo is partnering with a local businessman who has minority ownership, they're using an experienced OKC sports marketing company for the club that was involved in running the Blazers hockey club and OKC FC NPSL club, the club will play in another are of town from the existing D3 Usl team, and rumors of a coach with MLS experience soon to be hired.

Negatives : Name, short lead time, D3 Usl club to compete with fans for.

Verdict : could be an interesting club and market to watch but a very risky venture that could likely fail. Hope it doesn't but they have a big hill to climb.

There are more problems than the short lead time. They are going to be playing in a distant outer suburban community, while the USL team is based much closer to downtown. In Toronto terms it's like being based out in Milton, while the rival plays at Downsview or Lamport. They are talking up the Hispanic angle, but do Mexican fans really follow La Liga all that closely rather than their own teams?

I think this is a test to see if NASL level play and name recognition i.e. Cosmos ....coming to the midwest garners in stands support.

Admittedly OKC gets Galaxy II or did last year, but its going to be an interesting head to head, drawback for Rayo is the stadium, not its location necessarily but fact it has a track around it, which to me kills the fan experience you need to be able to sell in North America.

Ottawa in NASL in a ten thousand seat venue would be a more exciting ticket then the current playing in a 22K stadium, it was significantly better in playoff with 9K+ and the North Side opened, hopefully they push to get to 7k to 10k attendance levels in next year.

I hope the ownership group is not fiscally challenged in terms of marketing budget and uses it ad money wisely.

Negatives : Name, short lead time, D3 Usl club to compete with fans for.

I actually think the name is fine, it's a lightning bolt, and they have one on the jersey.  Or a sunray,That is pretty cool, and the Spanish twist is not so far out, Rayo is like Ray. The real problem is not finding a totally fresh market with interest that could get excited by such a team.

Admittedly OKC gets Galaxy II or did last year, but its going to be an interesting head to head, drawback for Rayo is the stadium, not its location necessarily but fact it has a track around it, which to me kills the fan experience you need to be able to sell in North America.

I hope the ownership group is not fiscally challenged in terms of marketing budget and uses it ad money wisely.

True the track is not ideal although NASL's Indy Eleven has done well drawing around 10k its first 2 years in a stadium with a track around it. Third Div Usl OKC team also have a track around the High School stadium they use. The NASL OKC ownership spending and marketing wisely like you say will be a key.

I'm flabbergasted as well. Rayo doesn't have the deep pockets to do this, unless it's part of some kind of business plan. I don't see it. Talking about Celtic, you could imagine it helps the big club with Brand recognition or something, but Rayo? And then in a market which already has a successful (more or less) team? Why not a few thousand miles further in a market with no team yet? Albuquerque, El Paso or Tuscon come to mind. 

Only positive I can see here is that the owners of OC NASL were able to find a third party to get involved. I really can't see a bright future for this team...

From what I've heard, the ownership of the Energy aren't the most positive owners. Apparently lots of failures and poor relations with the city. The other thing of note is that the driving force behind OKC is half the original group that were pushing for an NASL expansion the last time. So there's some local awareness that can be put to good use IMO.

As for if it'll be a success? No clue. I'm not a fan of the name, but I'm not as quick to write it off. At least not before I see what they can do for sponsorship and promotion of the club.  

I have a hard time imagining this will work.  It's not even a really obvious match - what does Oklahoma City have that makes a connection to a Spanish club?  

I think this is NASL being stubborn and wanting to somehow redeem themselves by getting OKC in the league, hell or high water.  Sometimes I think you need to pick your battles and it concerns me that NASL has picked this one, which has a very low percentage of success IMO.  

If they wanted to get into business with Rayo, why not somewhere else?

Jason

From what I've been hearing, it was the ownership in OKC that went after Rayo, not the league. I think this is more a case of the local ownership not letting a dream die, and doing anything he could to make it work. If he's got that passion, he could make a go of it. There's some movement that I've seen in OKC via twitter... one of the local weathermen is already promoting Rayo OKC, so there's some positives there.

From what I've been hearing, it was the ownership in OKC that went after Rayo, not the league. I think this is more a case of the local ownership not letting a dream die, and doing anything he could to make it work. If he's got that passion, he could make a go of it. There's some movement that I've seen in OKC via twitter... one of the local weathermen is already promoting Rayo OKC, so there's some positives there.

You may well be correct with this.  If this is the case, it concerns me that the NASL is willing to go along with it.  I thought they had potential expansion candidates banging down their door.  This makes me think there are not as many options as we have been led to believe.

Jason

Not bad for a highschool stadium! The US is nuts! :D

If they just move the endzones 5 yards closer to the goals (the rendering has endzone type branding behind the nets that is useless), they improve the atmosphere a lot. Like the old Swangard, right on top of the keeper, amazing (though frigging tiny stand in retrospect).

But the rendering looks wrong anyways, the sun shining into the main grandstand, no beer gardens, no concessions. 

You may well be correct with this.  If this is the case, it concerns me that the NASL is willing to go along with it.  I thought they had potential expansion candidates banging down their door.  This makes me think there are not as many options as we have been led to believe.

Jason

From what I've heard, there was a few more groups at the Soccer Bowl last weekend too. I've heard from the NY podcast guys that there was a Vegas group, as well as an Italian group looking at expansion. I don't think there's a limit, I think NASL is just really pushing to get to 20 clubs.

I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Shows that owners are so passionate to get into the league, they're willing to literally go overseas for investors.

From what I've heard, there was a few more groups at the Soccer Bowl last weekend too. I've heard from the NY podcast guys that there was a Vegas group, as well as an Italian group looking at expansion. I don't think there's a limit, I think NASL is just really pushing to get to 20 clubs.

I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Shows that owners are so passionate to get into the league, they're willing to literally go overseas for investors.

I mostly agree with this, but I just hope the NASL does not do what the CFL did during the American expansion era - they were desperate for owners and took anyone who had a cheque or people with no money but could talk up a big vision.  It resulted in a lot of weirdness and instability.

Jason

I'd be happy to see some more clubs on the west side of the Mississippi, just for FC Edmonton's travel issues and Vegas would make one hell of an away game.

Archived